Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Moses Scurry

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Moses Scurry »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 pm I'm not sure the Nets are in any hurry to trade Russell. It'd almost certainly be better to just wait it to and see who they can sign.
I think the hypothesis is that Irving gives them a verbal agreement then they have to figure how to move Russell without him just signing an offer and walking away.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm
You seriously think Russell is going to make that large a difference for us? I mean, I think it would be alright and all, but I'm pumping the brakes on the bus to Enthusiasmville here a little. He'd be a nice piece of the puzzle, but we need depth, and trustworthy role players too.
No one knows. I'm just discussion the dynamics of getting him. If it's the right move, how knows. I don't like the kid and that hair, and don't know if I trust him, kind of like wiggins.
Doesn't it kind of feel like there is a chance that we are simply giving up Teague, who's expiring IS an asset, Okogie, who's potential and rookie contract IS an asset, and possibly the 11 which is an asset too, for a guy who is older than Wiggins, with a history of disappearing, who after he gets paid could just disappear on us as well... I mean, clearly this is worst case scenario, but after we've given up our best assets that we would consider trading, is De'Angelo Russell the guy we really want in return? No last year's drafted guy to improve in year two, no #11, just Russell?

I don't hate him, but if it's going to take all that to get him here, and we still have to pay him, I'm just more out than in. A roster featuring Russell, KAT, and some scrubs is not enough to make us any better than we were this year, imo.
Valid points. I'm just working the deal, no idea if it's the right move.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm
You seriously think Russell is going to make that large a difference for us? I mean, I think it would be alright and all, but I'm pumping the brakes on the bus to Enthusiasmville here a little. He'd be a nice piece of the puzzle, but we need depth, and trustworthy role players too.
No one knows. I'm just discussion the dynamics of getting him. If it's the right move, how knows. I don't like the kid and that hair, and don't know if I trust him, kind of like wiggins.
Doesn't it kind of feel like there is a chance that we are simply giving up Teague, who's expiring IS an asset, Okogie, who's potential and rookie contract IS an asset, and possibly the 11 which is an asset too, for a guy who is older than Wiggins, with a history of disappearing, who after he gets paid could just disappear on us as well... I mean, clearly this is worst case scenario, but after we've given up our best assets that we would consider trading, is De'Angelo Russell the guy we really want in return? No last year's drafted guy to improve in year two, no #11, just Russell?

I don't hate him, but if it's going to take all that to get him here, and we still have to pay him, I'm just more out than in. A roster featuring Russell, KAT, and some scrubs is not enough to make us any better than we were this year, imo.
Well we would still have RoCo too.

This roster is hot garbage right now. They need to do something. This team isn't even as good as the Adelman era teams.

It's Kat and scrubs now. Rather have Russell, Kat and scrubs.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Russell+KAT=New Age Stockton and Malone.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:24 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 pm I'm not sure the Nets are in any hurry to trade Russell. It'd almost certainly be better to just wait it to and see who they can sign.
I think the hypothesis is that Irving gives them a verbal agreement then they have to figure how to move Russell without him just signing an offer and walking away.
Yep. But they still shouldn't be in a hurry since they can also add a second max contact if Kyrie signs. If they can't land another max contact player then you sign (or match) Russell and sit on him until you get a great good.

Russell plays a huge role in this as well because the quicker he signs a contact with another team, assuming he even does, then the Nets have to start speeding everything up.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:24 pm
Yep. But they still shouldn't be in a hurry since they can also add a second max contact if Kyrie signs. If they can't land another max contact player then you sign (or match) Russell and sit on him until you get a great good.

Russell plays a huge role in this as well because the quicker he signs a contact with another team, assuming he even does, then the Nets have to start speeding everything up.
Yep. :thumbsup:
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm Does Deangelo getting a Lavine type deal work I wonder.

So lets say 4 @ 100. So 25 million a year. Teague 19 million, Okogie 2 million, so thats 21 million. I think we have a trade exception that gets us real close. Toss in our #11?

Teague, Okogie, Trade exception and #11.

I would try really hard to swap Saric for Okogie. That said, I'd probably do this.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:33 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm Does Deangelo getting a Lavine type deal work I wonder.

So lets say 4 @ 100. So 25 million a year. Teague 19 million, Okogie 2 million, so thats 21 million. I think we have a trade exception that gets us real close. Toss in our #11?

I would try really hard to swap Saric for Okogie. That said, I'd probably do this.
People don't think Brooklyn wants that package, right? I would think Brooklyn (once they get Kyrie committed) go shopping for a second guy like Butler and that's when they let Russell become a UFA.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I wouldn't. I love Okogie but unless Wiggins is gone, he's a luxury. I'd rather have Saric's skillset starting. Plus if we trade #11 in that deal, we have no rookie PF replacement either. Plus Saric is on a cheap deal.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Yeah, this all happens post July 1st when Brooklyn tries to see who it can get to bring in with Kyrie. Who is a clear cut better option than Russell in Irving's mind?

Klay, Kawhi, KD, AD (trade obv, which I don't see happening), Butler. Is Russell > Harris? Middleton? Obviously Kemba isn't going there with Kyrie.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

I prefer Okogie to Russell, not even looking at salaries.

JO just has such a high ceiling IMO
Spoiler:
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm

I wouldn't. I love Okogie but unless Wiggins is gone, he's a luxury. I'd rather have Saric's skillset starting. Plus if we trade #11 in that deal, we have no rookie PF replacement either. Plus Saric is on a cheap deal.
For one more year only and I just don't see the long term fit with Saric and KAT.

Whereas if Okogie's shot takes a step forward he fits in so nicely and is cheap for 3 more years
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm

People don't think Brooklyn wants that package, right? I would think Brooklyn (once they get Kyrie committed) go shopping for a second guy like Butler and that's when they let Russell become a UFA.
That gives them some nice young depth and also good assets to add more at the trade deadline.

They could add a second guy and then sign and trade Russell with his bird rights.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

This place way overvalues Okogie.

I ship him today and drive him to the airport if he can be used to Net Rusell.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

jodaman01 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:30 pm This place way overvalues Okogie.

I ship him today and drive him to the airport if he can be used to net Rusell.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:13 pm

I really want to hold on to #11 but I would make this trade.

I would try everything to keep #11. Maybe give them a future first and Saric?
Makes me sick to lose Okogie and keep Wiggins, then give up #11. :cry:
This team is not in a position to trade it's cheap controllable labor. What we need to do is be smart, create assets, something we butcherd last year. We need to keep Okogie and 11. Saric and Covington could be used to get firsts to keep or package, but this team cannot go without in the near future and/or put us at a disadvantage by going without in the near past.
ViksScore

Post by ViksScore »

If the wolves want to sell any tickets next year they need to make some major moves and get rid of these aging vets that are no good and wont help sell tickets.
"He who stops being better stops being good"
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I’ll be honest.

D-Lo does nothing for me.

He can score, but seems like a high volume shooter with a bit too much show off in his game.

Defensively I don’t think he’s any better than Teague or Tyus.

Just a deal where it’s a big “meh” for me.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:26 pm I’ll be honest.

He can score, but seems like a high volume shooter with a bit too much show off in his game.

Not decided yet but there’s quite a bit of ballstop and no D to him.
witljon

Post by witljon »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Well, I think D'Angelo is an upgrade from Teague/Tyus.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 pm
thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Well, I think D'Angelo is an upgrade from Teague/Tyus.
No kidding, but gutting your team's current and/or future assets for him isn't.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Exactly.

We need to see what we’ve got.

It’s not time to consolidate assets yet.
witljon

Post by witljon »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 pm Exactly.

What do you mean by "need to see what we got"

We just watched the whole season. :thinking:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

witljon wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 pm

A fractured season with no Covington, Rose, and Teague for a bunch of it.

With healthy Cov and Teague, plus Rose salary reallocated, the team will look and play differently.

And remember, we were good with Cov.
witljon

Post by witljon »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

With healthy Cov and Teague, plus Rose salary reallocated, the team will look and play differently.

Well, every team has injuries, so we should factor that into it.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Dohkay.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Meh. This roster as constructed now isn't close to a playoff team.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

This would be interesting if it happened. Not sure how it would happen, but that's not my job to figure out!

Kinda hated Russell in the draft. Laughed at his failure on and off the court in LA. But he's made a remarkable save on his career (which seemed destined for serious bust status).
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Loved this dude in college.

And then I lost rooting interest when that shit with the social media thing and Nick Young happened.

Gotta be honest, I’d be excited if we figured out a way to get him.

I’m out if it means giving up on Okoge though.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Who said this in regards to what we could get for Karl-Anthony Towns in a trade?
D’Angelo Russell if we’re lucky.

Up to 30% usage this year and all of his shooting numbers continue to rise.

Wings are still the Queens of the basketball chess board.