Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
whiskerbiscuit

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:56 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:34 pm This pipe dream isn’t happening.

We had a chance to get him in september but Thibs and most of all of you said no way.
Yup. He was my #1 guy I hoped to get. Dealing Butler, you have to get one guy with at least the potential to be a top 3 player on a contender.

We didn't in the hopes that Thibs could squeak out another 8 seed 1 and done.
This. I would of took about anything else. Even the 4 picks from Houston.

Wolves fans don't want to believe it but that trade for RoCo and Saric goes down as one of the worst trades I've ever seen.

They traded a top 15-20 player for one turd and a role player.

Thibs was a complete stooge for this but the worst was Taylor. How do you let a guy make a trade that was such on the hot seat, that he was fired a couple months later.

ATROCIOUS!!
Yea. Thibs should have been canned the moment Butler asked out and Saunders should have had the whole year. Layden should have been told his fate would be decided by the long term outlook of the roster.

Thibs was on the hot seat and did everything he could to win every game possible for one year with no regard for the future. And knowing Thibs he would have done that even if he wasn't on the hot seat.

His reign of terror was a Kahn level disaster. Sucks because he was a damn good hire. Just our luck.

A common rube have done a better job than the actual guy in charge for the majority of this squad's miserable history.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:04 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:58 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Yup. He was my #1 guy I hoped to get. Dealing Butler, you have to get one guy with at least the potential to be a top 3 player on a contender.

We didn't in the hopes that Thibs could squeak out another 8 seed 1 and done.
Back in September in the Jimmy Butler trade thread, I said trade jimmy for Dlo, Hollis Jefferson, and Faried expiring

People thought that was a trash trade. But no one saw Russ ascending this season like he did. Neither did I but I was willing to gamble on him and because him and KAT are close.
Brooklyn didn’t want to include Caris Levert in any Butler trade. I’m not sure what makes you confident that they would’ve included Russell in a trade.
Because I have a great memory. You are correct LeVert was not on the table but Dlo was because his stock was very low before the season started. A lot of people were down on him nationally and including this forum.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... &start=120

Check the date September 19, 2018

I said trade Jimmy for Dlo, lots of people said hell no
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:14 pm One more year and Dieng becomes an asset.
How'd that pie turn out?
Making it tomorrow night, will update all in the wine thread.
PanicWolf

Post by PanicWolf »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:44 pm http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... &start=120

Omgomg good for you dude. Can we get a list of every hot take you’ve had so we can see just how right you are all the time?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

PanicWolf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:44 pm http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... &start=120

Omgomg good for you dude. Can we get a list of every hot take you’ve had so we can see just how right you are all the time?
I said Curry would be the best player in the 2009 draft; everyone laughed.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

But if the Wolves acquire him this offseason then that would have been the wrong move because they wouldn't have Russell and Covington.

:D
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:24 am
PanicWolf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 am

I said Curry would be the best player in the 2009 draft; everyone laughed.
You say a lot of things that make us laugh. One is bound to stick - right? :thumbsup:
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm Yeah I don't think they'd make this move without knowing for sure one guy is coming.

Good news for Russell suitors
I think it may be the opposite. Could allow them to spend on 2 and still match an offer to Russell.
I think they'd do a sign and trade in that spot. I think they know Kyrie is coming and I have a hard time seeing them pair up.

But Wolves are still in a tough spot and their best position is probably to sit and wait. If they were to offer a contract and the Nets matched then they couldn't do a sign and trade with them.
Can we even offer him? Don't we need cap space or something?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I'd be more worried about deangelo if his shooting hadn't gotten better each year. Just a good enough shooter at this point to not be a negative on the court. 43/37% if I recall for this past season.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am
OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 pm
I think it may be the opposite. Could allow them to spend on 2 and still match an offer to Russell.
I think they'd do a sign and trade in that spot. I think they know Kyrie is coming and I have a hard time seeing them pair up.

But Wolves are still in a tough spot and their best position is probably to sit and wait. If they were to offer a contract and the Nets matched then they couldn't do a sign and trade with them.
Can we even offer him? Don't we need cap space or something?

Sorry, I mean if the Wolves traded assets to clear the space only to have Brooklyn match the contract.

With that said, I don't think so? I don't think the Wolves had the space when Batum agreed to the contract. I think they wanted to see if Portland matched before clearing the total space needed.

Maybe you have to be at least under the cap. Not sure.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

How much say does Russell have in where he's going?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am Can we even offer him? Don't we need cap space or something?
Taylor is our only cap, homie.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am I'd be more worried about deangelo if his shooting hadn't gotten better each year. Just a good enough shooter at this point to not be a negative on the court. 43/37% if I recall for this past season.
That's why I loved Lavine. He was terrible when he first got here but he always showed improvement from year to year. He's still flawed as hell and always will be because he doesn't play defense but oh my word has his offensive game been taken to a new level.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

I think it'd be a mistake to get him on a max.

Pretty good player, but really not that big of a difference maker.

Would be nice to get KATs buddy on the team tho.
Spoiler:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

TrueBlue wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:49 pm I think it'd be a mistake to get him on a max.

Pretty good player, but really not that big of a difference maker.

Would be nice to get KATs buddy on the team tho.
This is what I think too. Not sure why we would break the bank for him. Yeah, he and KAT are friends, but so was KG and T Hud.

But then again, I don't watch much outside of Wolves ball.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Ideally you sign Russell closer to 20 than his max number (29) per year.

With that said, I'd go up to the max to be honest. This team desperately needs higher end talent. This is a chance to get higher end talent, with room to improve, and happens to be our franchise guy's best friend at a position in desperate need. And offers a skillset of a shot creation this team also needs.

I'd max him.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm Ideally you sign Russell closer to 20 than his max number (29) per year.

With that said, I'd go up to the max to be honest. This team desperately needs higher end talent. This is a chance to get higher end talent, with room to improve, and happens to be our franchise guy's best friend at a position in desperate need. And offers a skillset of a shot creation this team also needs.

I'd max him.
I would have no problem with this either.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 pm Are there any other realistic options? I wouldn't hate Russell, I just don't know that I love the move either.
The Russell talk probably isn't even realistic. I would absolutely love it.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

OliverMiller wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm Ideally you sign Russell closer to 20 than his max number (29) per year.

I'd max him.
Yep. Beggars can't be choosers. Need one and probably two all star level players to convince Towns to stay.

Russell has the potential. You have to roll the dice.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:04 pm Are there any other realistic options? I wouldn't hate Russell, I just don't know that I love the move either.
Realistic? Is moving Wiggins realistic? I don't know. I guess it isn't unless it happens.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:58 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:51 pm
Realistic? Is moving Wiggins realistic? I don't know. I guess it isn't unless it happens.
Idk, maybe Brooklyn thinks they could get him to play hard. I mean, Wiggins is that kinda guy that you can see the ability, he just doesn't pull it all together often enough. I guess Russell was an underachiever for a while. He turned around. My They think they could do that with Wig, and that he'd be better for them. I still say it's a long shot. I mean, why take that chance if you are them?
My dream was/is Jrue. Davis gets moved, they get Williamson, we swap Wiggins and Jrue as why not go young across the board.

I don't think Brooklyn would have any interest in Wiggins. If they wanted to trade us russell they'd probably want Teague as an expiring, Okogie and other stuff like picks or whatever.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Yes. Brooklyn would not be the team that would be trading for Wiggins. They are trying to clear space for a couple mad deals for Kyrie and another big name. That's why they may be dumping Russell in the first place.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:01 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:58 pm
Idk, maybe Brooklyn thinks they could get him to play hard. I mean, Wiggins is that kinda guy that you can see the ability, he just doesn't pull it all together often enough. I guess Russell was an underachiever for a while. He turned around. My They think they could do that with Wig, and that he'd be better for them. I still say it's a long shot. I mean, why take that chance if you are them?
My dream was/is Jrue. Davis gets moved, they get Williamson, we swap Wiggins and Jrue as why not go young across the board.

I don't think Brooklyn would have any interest in Wiggins. If they wanted to trade us russell they'd probably want Teague as an expiring, Okogie and other stuff like picks or whatever.
I don't want to move Okogie. Maybe it's just because we've be watching so many players come to MN and not give a shit for so long, but I do not want to move the one player on this team who seems to put it all out there every time he steps on the court. Besides, I want to see what he looks like in year two. Because of what I perceive his work ethic being like, I honestly think he could be the kinda player that makes a huge jump from year one to year two.
I don't want to move him either but you have to if you can get Russell imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Does Deangelo getting a Lavine type deal work I wonder.

So lets say 4 @ 100. So 25 million a year. Teague 19 million, Okogie 2 million, so thats 21 million. I think we have a trade exception that gets us real close. Toss in our #11?

Teague, Okogie, Trade exception and #11.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm Does Deangelo getting a Lavine type deal work I wonder.

So lets say 4 @ 100. So 25 million a year. Teague 19 million, Okogie 2 million, so thats 21 million. I think we have a trade exception that gets us real close. Toss in our #11?

I really want to hold on to #11 but I would make this trade.

I would try everything to keep #11. Maybe give them a future first and Saric?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:09 pm Does Deangelo getting a Lavine type deal work I wonder.

I really want to hold on to #11 but I would make this trade.

I would try everything to keep #11. Maybe give them a future first and Saric?
Makes me sick to lose Okogie and keep Wiggins, then give up #11. :cry:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 pm
I don't want to move Okogie. Maybe it's just because we've be watching so many players come to MN and not give a shit for so long, but I do not want to move the one player on this team who seems to put it all out there every time he steps on the court. Besides, I want to see what he looks like in year two. Because of what I perceive his work ethic being like, I honestly think he could be the kinda player that makes a huge jump from year one to year two.
You seriously think Russell is going to make that large a difference for us? I mean, I think it would be alright and all, but I'm pumping the brakes on the bus to Enthusiasmville here a little. He'd be a nice piece of the puzzle, but we need depth, and trustworthy role players too.
No one knows. I'm just discussion the dynamics of getting him. If it's the right move, how knows. I don't like the kid and that hair, and don't know if I trust him, kind of like wiggins.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 pm
You seriously think Russell is going to make that large a difference for us? I mean, I think it would be alright and all, but I'm pumping the brakes on the bus to Enthusiasmville here a little. He'd be a nice piece of the puzzle, but we need depth, and trustworthy role players too.
One big reason for me is it's a PG. We have had a few year's of Marbury, a couple with Brandon and a year with Cassel in the whole history of this organization. It's like the Vikings with a QB.

The reality is this team isn't getting a star any other way. Is Russell a star yet? Not sure but it's worth the shot. I think Russell and Kat is a good duo.

Sprinkle in RoCo and if you keep #11 and get a good player, that's not half bad.

If they must have RoCo over Okogie I'm fine with either or.
Last edited by RubeTube on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I'm not sure the Nets are in any hurry to trade Russell. It'd almost certainly be better to just wait it to and see who they can sign.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”