Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
irishman89

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by irishman89 »

Brooklyn also has Allen Crabbe who pulled a Jeff Teague and opted in for about 19 million dollars, despite having only one knee. They are going to reward somebody for taking him off their books so that they can sign the rest of their next team.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

irishman89 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm Brooklyn also has Allen Crabbe who pulled a Jeff Teague and opted in for about 19 million dollars, despite having only one knee. They are going to reward somebody for taking him off their books so that they can sign the rest of their next team.
MN will gladly take him if they want Wiggins and other stuff for him and Russell (would have to be two separate deals).
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:00 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:45 pm
Lots of moving parts in that offer above.. draft is coming up soon and Russell can't be dealt until the new league year. The Nets are way under the cap... my assumption is they'll go hunting for the big fish first before deciding what to do with Russell.
Oh definitely don't think anything will happen right away, just saying the Wolves have plenty of assets that would be interesting in a sign and trade.

Hell put Covington on that list too
Covington and Towns are off limits for me when it comes to Russell.
I would trade away Covington to get Russell. Russell has more upside.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

qrocks wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Oh definitely don't think anything will happen right away, just saying the Wolves have plenty of assets that would be interesting in a sign and trade.

Agreed. Obviously he is the one other guy than Kat I would like to keep but if it had to be done, I would pull the trigger.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Hopefully Covington is healthy again someday. He's still dealing with the worst knee bruise in history. I'd move him in the right deal. It would take a lot though.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

irishman89 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:37 pm Hopefully Covington is healthy again someday. He's still dealing with the worst knee bruise in history. I'd move him in the right deal. It would take a lot though.
He's still dealing with it? If he's not fully healthy when training camp rolls around... uh oh
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:18 pm
irishman89 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:37 pm Hopefully Covington is healthy again someday. He's still dealing with the worst knee bruise in history. I'd move him in the right deal. It would take a lot though.
He's still dealing with it? If he's not fully healthy when training camp rolls around... uh oh
Read in the Strib he was still rehabbing as of last week,Teague was also in town rehabbing his injury from last season as well.

:roll:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 am
witljon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:22 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 pm
Two years ago Kyrie had Minnesota on his list!
Didn't back in the day, Allen Iverson want to be traded here to play with Kevin Garnett?
Yep. Sixers owner nixed the deal if I remember correctly. Billy King and Kevin McHale had an agreement... pretty sure it was like a Randy Foye/Ricky Davis/more for AI.
My blood is boiling again.

I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Remember we also had Baron Davis rumoured to be coming here for Cassell?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

If they think or know they can hook Irving and KD, there's really no reason not to move him. But I have no idea what they actually want/need? Teague+11th would have to be the starting point. I didn't like Rusell coming out, then his super stupid move in LA plus some knee injuries made me kind of write him off, but kind of like Rose, his play won me over. I just don't see us as trade partners, but it's tough because who knows what they are getting into as of July 1st. If I'm any FA, I'd pick Brooklyn over the Knicks. Good coach, good FO, and already a playoff team with not the most talent in the league.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

This deal seems like it isn’t gonna work out. Too much needs to go right.

I prefer it.

I’d rather trade down with Brooklyn.

They need the space.

Reach a little for that Florida State PF and/or grab the best wing/PG you can.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 pm This deal seems like it isn’t gonna work out. Too much needs to go right.

I prefer it.

They need the space.

If we trade down you shouldn't be thinking PG at all, frankly if we stay put we shouldn't be thinking PG either unless one of White or Garland is there. Next year in a deeper PG draft seems the more reasonable expectation to address PG. We could take a potential future backup in the second, but lets see who if anyone slips first.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 pm This deal seems like it isn’t gonna work out. Too much needs to go right.

I prefer it.

They need the space.

Why does Brooklyn need more space? They only have ~49 million guaranteed on the books. They can already give out two max contracts and be fine.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/yearly/cap/
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 am

I prefer it.

They need the space.

Why does Brooklyn need more space? They only have ~49 million guaranteed on the books. They can already give out two max contracts and be fine.

They'd have like a 6 man roster (other than scrap) if they let everyone go and sign 2 max guys. I still can't believe they can run a smart rebuild like they have and then fuck it all for Kyrie. They have a young allstar PG and breakout PG Dinwiddie behind him making 10 mil and they are going to sign Kyrie?

As to Tank wanting to trade back with them I've been wanting that for months. But I'd still rather send the Saric for those picks but getting Dinwiddie would be cool too. Have to see if there's a way to do that cap wise with Saric only making like half of him.
T_J

Post by T_J »

It's gonna be fucking hilarious if Kyrie and Durant go to Brooklyn and the Knicks end up with jackshit.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

T_J wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 am It's gonna be fucking hilarious if Kyrie and Durant go to Brooklyn and the Knicks end up with jackshit.
That's kind of the Knicks every year...cocky fan base, who think everyone wants to play there...they claim to be the "Mecca of basketball" but year in and year out, they remain awful. Most delusional fanbase in the NBA
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I prefer it.

They need the space.

True, but they need to field a good roster and if they get Kyrie, they have to parlay Russell into some of those other pieces.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

qrocks wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Absolutely.

Cov is a nice trade chip. Russell should've been the #1 target for Butler even before he had his big year.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 am

I prefer it.

They need the space.

They'd have like a 6 man roster (other than scrap) if they let everyone go and sign 2 max guys. I still can't believe they can run a smart rebuild like they have and then fuck it all for Kyrie. They have a young allstar PG and breakout PG Dinwiddie behind him making 10 mil and they are going to sign Kyrie?

As to Tank wanting to trade back with them I've been wanting that for months. But I'd still rather send the Saric for those picks but getting Dinwiddie would be cool too. Have to see if there's a way to do that cap wise with Saric only making like half of him.
I actually think that the Nets have a really solid foundation of role players. Having Dinwiddie, Levert and Allen as role players next to Kyrie and another max FA (Butler or KD??) Is a very attractive scenario.

It's impossible to say what they'd be able to get if they trade Russell so I won't even go there but the Nets do have some legitimate players under contract to play next to a couple of max contact guys.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:42 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:46 am

I actually think that the Nets have a really solid foundation of role players. Having Dinwiddie, Levert and Allen as role players next to Kyrie and another max FA (Butler or KD??) Is a very attractive scenario.

It's impossible to say what they'd be able to get if they trade Russell so I won't even go there but the Nets do have some legitimate players under contract to play next to a couple of max contact guys.
The problem with signing Kyrie and dealing Russel is if they sign Kyrie they will need to sign another and then sign and trade Russel. But what if he doesn't play along? What if they get 5 great offers and he says screw that I don't want to go there? Then they have to take what they can get or match an offer and go into lux. Then they can't trade him for a year.

I get their plan all along was move to Brooklyn, clear the space and buy big. But they have done really nice things along the way and have 2 1sts and the 1st pick in the 2nd. They should stay the course, get one good up and comer FA and play the long game. They are already a playoff team and one of the youngest.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Anybody wonder why they are shopping him around?

Also I find it kind of odd that Towns is the only one of the top 4 picks still with the team that drafted him.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:25 pm Anybody wonder why they are shopping him around?

Also I find it kind of odd that Towns is the only one of the top 4 picks still with the team that drafted him.
I don't think they are. I think Stephen A put out the Kyrie rumor and all the stuff from there is speculation. Our's being entirely that he and Towns are friends. Plus Russel to me is at least as much a 2. They could play him there but have others at that spot. If I was there I'd match any offer and wait until next year to spend when Dinwiddie will be an easily move expiring and I think 2 other big money guys are done. Plus they could easily make a huge deal at the deadline. They'd probably be in the best position in the league to star hunt through trade.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Mr. Brightside

Post by Mr. Brightside »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 pm
Russell is gone. Kyrie + KD/Butler to the Nets. They must feel good about getting that done.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

irishman89 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 pm Brooklyn also has Allen Crabbe who pulled a Jeff Teague and opted in for about 19 million dollars, despite having only one knee. They are going to reward somebody for taking him off their books so that they can sign the rest of their next team.
Oh I'm good...
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Yeah I don't think they'd make this move without knowing for sure one guy is coming.

Good news for Russell suitors
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Oh I'm good...
Good call. That's like what 9 mil or so?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm Yeah I don't think they'd make this move without knowing for sure one guy is coming.

I think it may be the opposite. Could allow them to spend on 2 and still match an offer to Russell.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm Yeah I don't think they'd make this move without knowing for sure one guy is coming.

I think it may be the opposite. Could allow them to spend on 2 and still match an offer to Russell.
I think they'd do a sign and trade in that spot. I think they know Kyrie is coming and I have a hard time seeing them pair up.

But Wolves are still in a tough spot and their best position is probably to sit and wait. If they were to offer a contract and the Nets matched then they couldn't do a sign and trade with them.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm

I think they'd do a sign and trade in that spot. I think they know Kyrie is coming and I have a hard time seeing them pair up.

But Wolves are still in a tough spot and their best position is probably to sit and wait. If they were to offer a contract and the Nets matched then they couldn't do a sign and trade with them.
Not saying they wouldn't want to but what if the offers are shit and their maneuvering gives them room under the lux? Russell is as much 2 as PG. Why would they straight cut bait for squat if they don't have to?

They have to wait 1 year to trade him if they match. They also get him for less and only 4 instead of 5. Then they'd get a lot more for him.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Not saying they wouldn't want to but what if the offers are shit and their maneuvering gives them room under the lux? Russell is as much 2 as PG. Why would they straight cut bait for squat if they don't have to?

They have to wait 1 year to trade him if they match. They also get him for less and only 4 instead of 5. Then they'd get a lot more for him.
Fair points but with Kyrie I don't think there is any fit.

They'd be better off moving him if they are committing to Kyrie for fit reasons. And there are plenty of teams that would give up assets. At minimum probably the player taken by the Suns.