Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Your Top 5 Picks

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: Your Top 5 Picks

Post by mlhouse »

To me it is interesting to see the different camps here. Maybe there is more, but I count 3.

1. The Brandon Clarke Wing Get the high motor role player with a solid floor that will contribute. A year ago I might have been in this camp myself.

2. The "pre-NCAA" expectations crowd. They are backing guys like Little, Bol Bol and Porter based on their 5-star recruiting status despite their more rocky college production. These guys look like stars, but I usually avoid this type of player because their weaknesses were exposed.

3. I am just going to call this the Hachimura Group. This is where I am. Get the guy we can realistically pick with the biggest upside as demonstrated by their play last season.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am I gotta beef and I hate this type of reporting.

Doumbouya
Weaknesses: Still learning the game, since he started playing basketball somewhat late, at 12 years old.

Such utter and complete bullshit that you can't learn the game in 6 years.
Did you play no ball? You don't remember the super athletic kid that didn't play and then tried and just sucked? It's not just learning the game. It learning to play the game at speed vs other guys who know the game. It;s teaching your body to do things without thinking so you can think about something else. That shit is not like learning a vid game.
You can absolutely pick up basketball at age 12 and have enough time to learn all of that, ESPECIALLY if you have the luxury of starting out as a physically dominant athlete compared to the competition.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm To me it is interesting to see the different camps here. Maybe there is more, but I count 3.

1. The Brandon Clarke Wing Get the high motor role player with a solid floor that will contribute. A year ago I might have been in this camp myself.

2. The "pre-NCAA" expectations crowd. They are backing guys like Little, Bol Bol and Porter based on their 5-star recruiting status despite their more rocky college production. These guys look like stars, but I usually avoid this type of player because their weaknesses were exposed.

3. I am just going to call this the Hachimura Group. This is where I am. Get the guy we can realistically pick with the biggest upside as demonstrated by their play last season.

I haven’t studied the NBA Draft at all, so I’m here to learn and listen to the opinions you guys have.

In my opinion, if there’s a player with legit “#2 star on a good team” upside, you have to lean that direction. However this team can bring in a potential star to help KAT, you have to do it.

No free agents are coming here, and we can’t afford them anyway. No one is giving anything for any of the assets we have besides KAT and maybe a few others.

The low-floor guys who project to be top role players at best, that’s all fine and dandy, and I’m fine going that way if that’s all that’s left, but I’d lean the direction of upside and ceilings and all that.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm To me it is interesting to see the different camps here. Maybe there is more, but I count 3.

I am not sure your group 2 is all encompassing of the players you stated. For instance Porter Jr was not a high recruit. I think there is something to early season hype vs. post tournament risers, but I have Little as one of two players I would be comfortable picking at 11, but have Porter Jr. and Bol Bol as players I would avoid within reason (I would take in the 2nd). Anyways, people make assessments and can't really be labeled...unless there is an evident bias like preferring high upside or lower risk, lower reward. As for players people will like players they like for whatever reason, hundreds that don't make your list of 3.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:47 pm

I am not sure your group 2 is all encompassing of the players you stated. For instance Porter Jr was not a high recruit. I think there is something to early season hype vs. post tournament risers, but I have Little as one of two players I would be comfortable picking at 11, but have Porter Jr. and Bol Bol as players I would avoid within reason (I would take in the 2nd). Anyways, people make assessments and can't really be labeled...unless there is an evident bias like preferring high upside or lower risk, lower reward. As for players people will like players they like for whatever reason, hundreds that don't make your list of 3.
Porter Jr was rated #40 in 2018 class by ESPN but I guess he is just a 4 star. The early season hype is another great label for that type of player.

As far as the groupings, I stand by them. Sure, there are exceptions but if you look at how many people have grouped the prosepcts for #11 you can see these relationships.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Lately I’m thinking NAW has the biggest upside of players at 11.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 pm Lately I’m thinking NAW has the biggest upside of players at 11.
He might. I moved him down a bit because I don't think he has much NBA point guard value.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:39 pm
thinktank wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 pm Lately I’m thinking NAW has the biggest upside of players at 11.
He might. I moved him down a bit because I don't think he has much NBA point guard value.
I see NAW as more of a modern 2, much like White. What I don't like about NAW is that he has stiff hips, not a fluid athlete and that hurts him from my prospective as to his overall upside.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:56 pm
I see NAW as more of a modern 2, much like White. What I don't like about NAW is that he has stiff hips, not a fluid athlete and that hurts him from my prospective as to his overall upside.
I do like the Brogdon comp, and he didn’t look very flashy either.

NAW seems remarkably normal too. I’m liking his disposition.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:56 pm

I do like the Brogdon comp, and he didn’t look very flashy either.

NAW seems remarkably normal too. I’m liking his disposition.
I have to disagree with the Brogdon comp, if you want one of thoes look at Gabe K. on the Gophers.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pmI have to disagree with the Brogdon comp, if you want one of thoes look at Gabe K. on the Gophers.
LOL. That’s such an idiotic comment.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

there are similarities there to brogdon, but NAW isn't nearly as physical as brogdon was coming out - he's a full 30 pounds lighter. that will be a part of his game that'll need to grow up in order to maximize his potential.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

1. Doumbouya, swing for the fences
2. Bol Bol, another swing for the fences
3. Clarke, safe Taj replacement
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:23 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:22 pmI have to disagree with the Brogdon comp, if you want one of thoes look at Gabe K. on the Gophers.
LOL. That’s such an idiotic comment.
Lol, yourself.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Obviously plenty of guys have been successful 3pt shooters with jacked up forms, but NAW's shot worries me a bit. So weird how he shoots that almost leaning back, ton of arc, and feet kicking forward.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:39 pm 1. Doumbouya, swing for the fences
Bam! We think alike. Same top 2. :beer:

I didn't pick 3 as those are the only two I want.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I really have no idea, gonna go with whatever you guys pick.
witljon

Post by witljon »

LordNu wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:56 am I really have no idea, gonna go with whatever you guys pick.
Trade our 1st round pick for a second rounder? :thinking: There's less pressure there. :shrug:
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am I gotta beef and I hate this type of reporting.

Doumbouya
Weaknesses: Still learning the game, since he started playing basketball somewhat late, at 12 years old.

I have the same problem. AND its also been said about Rui "only" starting BB at 13(?).
j2j

Post by j2j »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 am

Doumbouya

I have the same problem. AND its also been said about Rui "only" starting BB at 13(?).
Both are just asinine.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

1. Sekou Doumbouya ... 90% chance he's gone because of recent Euro success
2a. Rui Hachimura ... upgraded because of Combine rumors.
2b. Brandon Clarke ... initial leader, downgraded a bit because of Combine messurements.

3. Goga Bitadze ... better than 50% he's drafted Top-10. Future All-star. But don't see KAT and him being able to play together.

61. Bol Bol ... novelty player. Tall, good hands, good shooter. Very little strength, balance or mobility. Can't play him full time with KAT.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 am
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:39 pm 1. Doumbouya, swing for the fences
Bam! We think alike. Same top 2. :beer:

I didn't pick 3 as those are the only two I want.
Clarke is a distant third for me.. :beer:
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 pm rubes who are voting for "trade back" as an option - do you have any targets in mind that you think could work?
I'll work this question in reverse. Who could drop to the Twolves that they don't need, but may be coveted by other teams?

I've come up with Goga Bitadze. As I said in my previous post, I think he is a future All Star. If he drops, the opportunity for a trade down is significantly increased.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think reddish could drop to us - and i don't particularly want him. he could hold some appeal to teams picking later.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

witljon wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:19 am
LordNu wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:56 am I really have no idea, gonna go with whatever you guys pick.
Trade our 1st round pick for a second rounder? :thinking: There's less pressure there. :shrug:
If you say so!

ALL ABOARD SECOND ROUND!!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

So there is only really 4 guys we should look at? Sekou, Rui, Brandon, and Bol?
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:11 am i think reddish could drop to us - and i don't particularly want him. he could hold some appeal to teams picking later.
At 11, I think Reddish would be a really good pick. He has some big time potential and would make a good bench player with a rookie contract to take some pressure off our cap space.
Last edited by witljon on Mon May 27, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
witljon

Post by witljon »

LordNu wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:29 pm So there is only really 4 guys we should look at? Sekou, Rui, Brandon, and Bol?
As of now, I like Hayes, Little, and Porter Jr better. :shrug:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

witljon wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:43 pm
LordNu wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:29 pm So there is only really 4 guys we should look at? Sekou, Rui, Brandon, and Bol?
Man, that's seven guys I have to look up on NBAdraft.net now...

PS which Porter? Kevin or Jontay?
witljon

Post by witljon »

LordNu wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 pm
witljon wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:43 pm
Man, that's seven guys I have to look up on NBAdraft.net now...

PS which Porter? Kevin or Jontay?
Kevin Porter Jr SG USC

Either immature or a possible head case, but I think a real talent.