Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Your Top 5 Picks

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Your Top 5 Picks

Post by mlhouse »

Kevin Baconnattor had a great post in another thread I am stealing the theme of.

Rank your top 5 picks at 11 excluding Zion, Ja, RJ Barrett, Darius Garland, DeAndre Hunter, Jarrett Culver, Coby White, and Cam Reddish (cut and paste of his exclusions).

1. Sekou Doumbouya SF France 6-9 230

I think he goes in the top 8 picks because you can't find players with his size, speed and skill often that are just 18 year old. His 34 point EuroLeague performance just seals his top 8 standing and I think he could go ahead of Cam Reddish and perhaps Coby White, and I think had a chance of being taken in the top five if one of the GMs has scouted him.

2. Rui Hachimura PF Gonzaga 6-8 225

When all is said and done, if Hachimura refines his shooting a touch and learns some defensive footwork, in my opinion he could end up being the best player in this draft. He has an NBA body and strength, and his combination of size, speed, and strength are not that common. His motor is solid and he plays at top speed but with solid control. He has only played basketball for a few years and at levels, like the Japanese national team, were the finer points of the game are not being taught but from everything that has been stated his improvement takes drastic steps up each year as he learns more of the game. I have some questions about his shot because he line drives everything and leaves a lot of shots short, but he also has a knack for getting the ball through the hoop. The best example of these issues is his free throw shooting. His arc on his free throw is very poor, but he has improved his FT shooting incrementally to about 75%.

Of the players I think have more than a 50% chance of being available at 11, this is my preferred choice.

After these two picks, my preference would be to trade down and get a late 2019 first or a future first round pick. But those trades in the NBA draft are not always available.

3. Goga Bitadze C Georgia 6-11 250

Maybe a idiosyncratic pick here, but I think adding a mobile center like this next to Towns would be a solid pairing. I like his mobility, I like his competitiveness, I like his basketball skills. The reason why I might have him rated higher than some is that I think his 3-point shot has a very high upside. Most of the stroke is there he just needs a bit more consistency but I think he could develop into a tremendous PnR player giving you the pick and pop option as well as solid drives on the roll.

4. Brandon Clarke PF Gonzaga 6-8 207

Crazy hopper that plays with tremendous drive. A player that would become a fan favorite. He has a very solid floor and I think he plays a long time in the NBA. I just do not know what his upside is and if he can bring enough to the table to play starter minutes in the NBA.

5. Bol Bol C Oregon 7-2 210

Without injury he might rank as one of the excluded guys given his amazing height, length, and unique skills. He has NBA 3 point range and could easily emerge as one of the NBA's top shot blockers very quickly. His body looks like a small NBA guard playing on stilts and his lateral movement skills are not possible due to the laws of physics and physiology, but I think defensively his length will allow him to compensate for some of that. This is a swing for the fences type of pick almost no matter where he goes in the draft.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: Your Top 5 Picks

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I'll simply copy and paste my big board from the draft thread. Not everybody has to go in depth. Just interesting to see whom everybody prefers, especially the things they value and what not.

1. Sekou Doumbouya, Big France 6-9 230 6-11 Wingspan 18yo

A week ago I would not have had him in my top 5.Watching game film and youtube as well as some good minds on WC changed my view. I've still watched very little game film or even highlights but he's the guy to me if he's there at 11 for two reasons; tremendous physical tools with a strong frame and long arms. Physical specimen type of guy that you don't often find at 11. If he played in college, I think he's a lock top 5 pick based on upside alone. Second, for his size he has good shot creation skills, which supersede almost everything else in an NBA lottery pick. Every scouting report talks about his first step of the dribble and how rare it is for a guy that big to have that step. People who prefer Brandon Clarke(and I get it because I was there not long ago) will say that he's completely raw. He's a bad decision maker, especially his passing, according to multiple scouts. And even though he's an athlete, he's a poor defensive player right now. He doesn't have his hands up at all and both Kevin O'Connor and Fran Frashilla mentioned that so I don't think it's a biased view on a one time viewing. That said, he won't be 19 when the NBA season starts in October and his upside is real. He's the kind of project I would be ok with at 11, because the offensive potential is very much there. Keeping him in Europe one more year wouldn't be stupid, because his first year in the NBA will be tough, and why start his rookie contract when he won't provide quality minutes. I believe flex said this and I thought it was smart.

2. Brandon Clarke, Big Gonzaga 6-8 207 6-8 Wingspan 22yo

You fall in love with Clarke watching him play defense. I don't think it's a stretch to say he was one of the two or 3 bnest defensive players in college basketball this season. And his defensive skills translate. He projects well as a pick-and-roll defender. Has the agility to hedge and help, and the recovery speed, anticipation, and switchability to take on wings and guards(Kevin O'Connor, the Ringer NBA draft guide). He plays with effort. On offense, he sets good screens and his athleticism makes him a good bet to become a good rim runner. But his calling card will be his defensive versatility and acumen. He's not a guy who will bring offensive creation, space, or playmaking. And it's a legit question to ask whether or not you want to take a guy at 11 who won't bring any of those 3 vital things. But in a relatively weak draft in my opinion, his safety as a defender can't be ignored and you could do worse.

3. Kevin Porter Jr., Guard USC 6-6 213 6-9 Wingspan 19yo

This will be a love hate pick. Some will watch Porter and his scoring upside and creation skills and see why he's a lottery talent. Others will see his maturity issues going back years and his shooting form(low release) and wonder why you take a chance when there will be other guys better there at 11. But something about Porter has always intrigued me. First, he showed in his one year at USC that he was willing to create for other players. His assists numbers aren't great, but he played with trash players in a trash conference. I think he's a good passer, and I think he could someday be a very good creator and facilitator. He's also a solid ball handler as well. Very shifty, although he's probably not a lead ball handler. He's inactive off the ball in offensive sets but I always get nervous judging college players with that because some coaches offenses are fucking garbage and the coaching ability from the NCAA to the NBA is night and day. I think he could improve immediately there. He's athletic and strong, so he projects as a decent defender, but nothing at USC showed you he'll be good. One of those weird shooting seasons where he shot 41% on 68 3's but only 52% on 46 FTs. He's all upside because he didn't have a great season at USC but I guess I'd rather take a chance on an all upside offensive creator than an all upside versatile defensiveplayer like Nassir Little. But that's me.

4. Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Guard Virginia Tech 6-5 204 6-9 Wingspan 20yo

Walker really reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon, and Danny Chau in his draft guide said the same thing. I think Walker's playmaking and passing skills are underrated. His shooting gets some people excited, and he's a fine catch and shoot prospect, but his playmaking is what gets me intrigued. He is a good passer with either hand, which most guys are not. Same goes with his ball handling too, comfortable with either hand although like Porter certainly not a lead ball handler. He's not a PG prospect even with his passing skills. Good spot up/catch and shoot scorer. 37% on 155 3's. Good volume to judge on. 77% on 144 FT's. He's good off ball, finds ways to get open on relocation(Givony ESPN). He's just a guy on defense. Not a liability, not a plus defender. That's mostly fine in my view, you're drafting him for his playmaking and shooting. But he's not a player who can shoot off the dribble. He's a spot up, CAS guard. And he doesn't finish at the rim well either. He's got a decent floater but nothing else and he's an average athlete. He's probably a rotation player in the NBA who can space the floor on offense and give you some playmaking skills on a secondary level. But that's not bad at 11. You're not exactly looking for an All-Star at 11.

5.Grant Williams, Forward Tennessee 6-7.5 240 6-10 Wingspan 20yo

He's another guy that you fall for watching him play for Tennessee. The more you watch him, the more you get him. His body and game and team first demeanor remind me of PJ Tucker. Got better each season for the Vols. He's an instinctual defender, knows where to e, how to close out(i.e he doesn't sprint to close like a maniac, he's controlled so that he can close off a drive as well as a shot), and rotates well. Some Wolves players would be dumbfounded . 82% FT shooter. Some(Jonathan Tjarks)believe that projects to better 3 point shooting going forward, but I'm not sure. He only shot 32% on 46 3s last season. Not great % or volume. Good mid range game, but I'm not sure how valuable or wanted that is, especially with Gersson Rosas now in charge. FANTASTIC passer and facilitator for his size. Much like NAW, that's what gets me excited. Great out of the post finding shooters or finding cutters. And in the pnr game, when he rolls and gets the pass he dumps off or finds the corner better than any big in the draft(Danny Chau draft guide). 4.0 assists a game as a guy who mostly played in the post for Tennessee. The question is how much he plays in the post in the NBA? Definitely not as much as he did in college. Does that affect his value as a playmaker? Probably. Low key great screener. Not sexy but if he can shoot the 3 in the NBA his ability as a roll or pop guy is there. Very good rebounder. Not an upside pick that some on WC crave at 11, which I understand given the Wolves situation.

6.Rui Hachimura, Forward Gonzaga 6-8 230 7-2 Wingspan 21yo
High level fluid athlete. Much like Doumbouya, his first step for a guy his size is terrific(Sam Vecenie). Very strong and great length, so his potential as a defender is definitely there. Coaches say he was hardest worker on the team who improved each season. That shit matters to me, YOU HEAR ME WIGGINS!(bad joke). Didn't start playing basketball until he was 15. So he's learning the game still, and it shows. He gets lost off the ball on offense and defense. He doesn't read and react well(Kevin O'Connor, Ringer). The game moves fast for him I feel like, but it makes sense. He doesn't help off his man well, he doesn't rotate very well, and is a liability in the pnr(Sam Vecenie). He didn't have any defensive accountability with Team Japan. He was their best offensive player, so defense was ignored often according to coaches at Gonzaga(I'm sure Japanese coaches loved that). But the good news for his Team Japan time is that he knows what it's like to be the main scoring option. It's not uncomfortable for him. He can handle the ball well for a wing and he's a mismatch scorer in transition and half court. His feet on defense need to improve dramatically. 74% FT shooter. Fine. 42% on 36 3s. Not enough volume to really react but it shows he's not terrible. His coast to coast game off a rebound into transition is fun to watch.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

1a. N. Little
1b. S. Doumbouya
3. Trade Down
4. Trade Down
5. Trade Down
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sekou
Bol
Trade
Trade
Trade
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Bol is Thabeet with range. No thanks.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

rubes who are voting for "trade back" as an option - do you have any targets in mind that you think could work?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 pm rubes who are voting for "trade back" as an option - do you have any targets in mind that you think could work?
Depends where they trade down to.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 pm rubes who are voting for "trade back" as an option - do you have any targets in mind that you think could work?
Cameron Johnson (UNC)
Dylan Windler (Belmont)
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

memyworld wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:43 am
Cameron Johnson (UNC)
Dylan Windler (Belmont)
i was thinking more like "team targets". who would be looking to move up and swap two picks for one - or maybe a player and pick or two? i see the nets as a possibility - who else?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I'm all in on Sekou or package the pick with Teague, Dieng, or the least likely Wiggins and bring in a high priced starter.

Do I have a list of targets that would take pick 11 and an expiring Teague for a good player? Of course not.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

T_J wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 am I'm all in on Sekou or package the pick with Teague, Dieng, or the least likely Wiggins and bring in a high priced starter.

Do I have a list of targets that would take pick 11 and an expiring Teague for a good player? Of course not.
This team is not in a position to give up assets and cheap controllable labor.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:43 am
Cameron Johnson (UNC)
Dylan Windler (Belmont)
i was thinking more like "team targets". who would be looking to move up and swap two picks for one - or maybe a player and pick or two? i see the nets as a possibility - who else?
The obvious answers are BOS, BYK and PHI. I am sure there are less obvious options as well, that why you reach out and talk.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:43 am
Cameron Johnson (UNC)
Dylan Windler (Belmont)
The obvious answers are BOS, BYK and PHI. I am sure there are less obvious options as well, that why you reach out and talk.
Watch Det if a good wing drops to us. They need scoring. And SA has 19 and 29. I'm not taking 20 and 22 from Bos without another piece but you can bet they'd love to have 11 to package for AD over 20 and 22.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I gotta beef and I hate this type of reporting.

Doumbouya
Weaknesses: Still learning the game, since he started playing basketball somewhat late, at 12 years old.

Such utter and complete bullshit that you can't learn the game in 6 years.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am I gotta beef and I hate this type of reporting.

Doumbouya
Weaknesses: Still learning the game, since he started playing basketball somewhat late, at 12 years old.

Did you play no ball? You don't remember the super athletic kid that didn't play and then tried and just sucked? It's not just learning the game. It learning to play the game at speed vs other guys who know the game. It;s teaching your body to do things without thinking so you can think about something else. That shit is not like learning a vid game.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am I gotta beef and I hate this type of reporting.

Doumbouya

Did you play no ball? You don't remember the super athletic kid that didn't play and then tried and just sucked? It's not just learning the game. It learning to play the game at speed vs other guys who know the game. It;s teaching your body to do things without thinking so you can think about something else. That shit is not like learning a vid game.
I guess I can't relate, I'm good at everything except darts and skeeball. Oh and foosball.
Style

Post by Style »

Sekou
Herro
NAW
PJ Washington
Rui
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:39 am

Doumbouya

I guess I can't relate, I'm good at everything except darts and skeeball. Oh and foosball.
Damn, I'm the king of darts. We should not play everything but darts for money.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 am
I'll dominate at pool, that's a given. :thumbsup:

I'll go setup the NFL QB skills challenge in my backyard. Get your arm lose.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:24 pm 1a. N. Little
1b. S. Doumbouya
3. Trade Down
4. Trade Down
5. Trade Down
1a. S. Doumbouya
1b. N. Little
3. Trade Down
4. Trade Down
5. Trade Down

Mine is pretty much the same.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
T_J

Post by T_J »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 am
T_J wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 am I'm all in on Sekou or package the pick with Teague, Dieng, or the least likely Wiggins and bring in a high priced starter.

Why
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

T_J wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Why
Because we are a mediocre at best franchise that is above the salary cap and pushing the luxury tax level. We are also not a franchise that has lots of options for obtaining and retaining talent. To build this team we need draft assets and young players. To keep the team competitive we need to find some of that talent cheap.

Although it hasn't been said, as far as I know, I think the future of this franchise in Minnesota is in approaching a crisis. We have one of the most ill-fated franchises in professional sports owned by a guy who is approaching 80 years old. The facility is mediocre. The local revenues are terrible. The fan support negligible. Professional sport franchises are valuable but if you are the new owner do you want to keep it in the tundra, or find a new city like Seattle that probably would build a state of the art stadium for you?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 am

I'll dominate at pool, that's a given. :thumbsup:

I'll go setup the NFL QB skills challenge in my backyard. Get your arm lose.
Corn holing in the backyard.

I accept my ban Abe.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Why
Because we are a mediocre at best franchise that is above the salary cap and pushing the luxury tax level. We are also not a franchise that has lots of options for obtaining and retaining talent. To build this team we need draft assets and young players. To keep the team competitive we need to find some of that talent cheap.

Although it hasn't been said, as far as I know, I think the future of this franchise in Minnesota is in approaching a crisis. We have one of the most ill-fated franchises in professional sports owned by a guy who is approaching 80 years old. The facility is mediocre. The local revenues are terrible. The fan support negligible. Professional sport franchises are valuable but if you are the new owner do you want to keep it in the tundra, or find a new city like Seattle that probably would build a state of the art stadium for you?
Not as pessimistic as you but 30 years of wasting assets and failing to develop talent is why we are who we are. We have not done what you said and valued lower end guys. We have failed to try to develop role players who fit. Is that about to change?

We have a POBO who seems to understand value.

We have a coach who is known primarily for player development.

We have Scrooge McTaylor.

2 beats 1 but we all know Taylor and math.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Why
Mlhouse said most of it.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I think we need to keep our pick simply due to cheap labor....as usual, it's all about hitting on that pick. The last french phenom that came out kind of sucks, so Sekou is a project and far from a sure thing.....but to make that magic splash like getting a Giannis in the late lotto, he's my guy. After that, I'm cool with Riu or Clarke. I know he's a reach, but I love Bruno out of Maryland.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

I want nothing to do w/ a project, we need a contributor; one w/ shooting & wingspan (to translate as a potential 3 & D).

As of now, leaning towards Kevin Porter Jr.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Dubs wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:09 am I want nothing to do w/ a project, we need a contributor; one w/ shooting & wingspan (to translate as a potential 3 & D).

As of now, leaning towards Kevin Porter Jr.
Lol.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I'd be all for drafting Jaxson Hayes at 11.

Others I kinda like...
Porter Jr.
Little
Sekou
j2j

Post by j2j »

The Wolves need to take educated swings. Playing it safe for a guy that's defined as someone who can contribute next year at 11 isn't what will give us a chance to anything more than an 8th seed.

Sekou is the best swing we could take at 11, if available. Rui is growing on me because of how relatively young he is from an experience sense. Other than that I'm still digging.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***