Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want to Draft Brandon Clarke at 11?

Yes, he is a plug and play energy defender which we need
50%
No, his ceiling is much too low for a lottery pick
46%
Not sure on prospects yet
4%

Total votes: 26

UnFadeable21

Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Team Gonzaga Bulldogs
Position Forward
Class Junior
HT/WT 6' 8", 215 lbs

16.9 ppg 8.6 rebs 3.2 blks 1.2 stl

68% FG, 26% 3PT, 69% FT

Some people love him, like him, and hate him.
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: Brandon Clarke Dratt Thread

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Draft Express Profile
After sitting out last season following his transfer from San Jose State, Clarke came out of nowhere to become one of the most efficient collegiate players in the past decade, posting a 37.6 PER as a redshirt junior. The best player on a loaded Gonzaga team, Clarke displayed leaping ability, motor, defensive versatility and offensive efficiency that impressed scouts and analytics models -- though he remains one of the more divisive prospects in the draft.

To some, he's a perfect fit in the modern NBA and a clear option in the lottery, yet others are deterred by his physical profile and lack of perimeter skill. Given his nearly unprecedented efficiency along with some of the skepticism around him, Clarke will be one of the more interesting prospects to follow on draft night and beyond. -- Schmitz

Strengths

Pogo-stick athlete who finishes everything around the rim. Lob and tip-dunk threat. No. 1 finisher in college basketball in the half court (minimum 175 attempts), converting 74.3 percent of his shots at the rim. Has touch on floaters as well. Uses his leaping ability and high motor to have an impact on the offensive glass (4.4 offensive rebounds per 40).

Versatile defender who can switch onto the perimeter and rim-protect despite his sub-par length. Picture-perfect verticality technique. Outstanding timing and instincts with quick-leaping ability. Ranks third in ESPN's Top 100 in block percentage (10.8). Blocks 4.3 shots per 40 minutes. Shot-blocking allows him to play the 5 in small-ball lineups, which is his most advantageous position offensively. Quick feet on the perimeter. Looked comfortable stepping out and defending guards like Jarrett Culver for stretches. Perfect defensive fit in the modern NBA.

Solid offensive feel for the game. Can facilitate from the elbows. Savvy interior passer. Embraces his role. Plays a super efficient brand of basketball. Shows some potential as a jump shooter despite low volume (his 69.4 percent from the free throw line is encouraging).

Improvement areas

Doesn't possess elite physical tools for a modern 4/5 at 6-foot-8 with narrow shoulders, short arms and small hands. Lacks a degree of physical upside at age 22.6. Upright runner with choppy steps. Can he handle the league's jumbo bigs when he's at center?

Offensive game is better suited for the center spot, because he doesn't space the floor as a shooter or handle the ball that cleanly. Shoots on the way down in mid-range spots. Has taken only 25 career 3s in 2,631 minutes. Upright with the ball in his hands. Predictable off the bounce, too often driving hard left and trying to spin back right.

Lacks a degree of fundamentals defensively. Upright in his stance. Gets by on instincts and athletic gifts at this stage.

Projected role: Modern small-ball big
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Clarke Draft Express Interview

Combine Drills
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Distance Shooting Drills with Hornets yesterday
flexbuffchest

Re: Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

Post by flexbuffchest »

I'm ON this guy.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 pm I'm ON this guy.
I see a defensive version of an Aaron Gordon in Clarke.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I like him. I think it would be a good pick. Not a home run, but a good, solid pick.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Watching his tourney highlights, this guy dunks and finishes everything in the paint. Willing passer to the open man and very good timing on his blocks.

He won't be a star but he could be an excellent glue guy to our core of Kat, Wigs, and Roco.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

I’m on board I just don’t see any homerun pick at 11th this year and there is no Euro guy I’m enamored with. I like Clarke he replaces Taj and think can have a positive impact on our team.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Brandon Clarke at 11?

I'm not feeling it. :shrug:
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Slightly taller than Draymond. Not sure how their wingspans match up in terms of his ability to cover bigger players. Seems like the kind of guy you'd like to have on your team, but you want to make sure you're not reaching at 11.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

He has no chance of greatness.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Clanke is a low first rounder with limited upside.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

dray has some inhuman sort of wingspan - clarke's is just a tidge longer than his height. it is of concern to me. especially if he were to suffer some leg injury that impacted his athleticism. i'm not sure that "possible injury" should be part of the discussion when considering draft picks who up to this point have had no issues.

i think what makes clarke really special though (aside from good hops) is his quickness and anticipation. a lot of his blocks are help blocks - which our team doesn't get a whole helluva lot of. it goes beyond rim protection. when an opposition guard or wing blows by our defender and goes into the paint for a layup or a floater, clarke is a guy who has the ability to immediately react, switch over and stuff that shot. we haven't had that. when that happens now, it's been more like a free ticket to two points with a bunch of our guys watching.

if we want pure and simple rim protection, that's where you get a guy like konate in the 2nd round.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed May 22, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 am He has no chance of greatness.
Greatness is a subjective term, but I agree.
Style

Post by Style »

A shorter/smaller version of Willie Cauley-Stein. I'm still on the fence about him at our pick. He seems to have that "gamer" mentality, yet some of his measurables just make me skeptical.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’ll admit I don’t know that much about him, but he sounds a little like a shorter Anthony Randolph. Not saying he’s going to flake out like Randolph did. Jut his body type and skill set.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

How much better is Clarke than Bates-Diop?
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Sekou, Rui or Brandon. I'll be happy with any of them.

Rumor from combine is that if the Twolves pass on Clarke at 11, Charlotte takes him at 12.

Not in on NAW, who I see competing with Okogie for backup minutes at SG. I don't think he is the Twolves future at PG.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

sekou's got a lot of upside, but i worry about his age and adjustment to both moving to the US and playing regularly against opponents who are far superior to anything he's faced before. if we draft him, i can see a situation where we don't get much out of him for at least two years - which will waste two years of a cheap rookie deal. and then maybe we find ourselves in a situation where we don't really know or not if he warrants a second bigger deal.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am sekou's got a lot of upside, but i worry about his age and adjustment to both moving to the US and playing regularly against opponents who are far superior to anything he's faced before. if we draft him, i can see a situation where we don't get much out of him for at least two years - which will waste two years of a cheap rookie deal. and then maybe we find ourselves in a situation where we don't really know or not if he warrants a second bigger deal.
I don't think anyone available at #11 will start as a rookie (unless there's an injury). It might take Clarke or Hachimura 1-2 years before they hit their stride too.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am sekou's got a lot of upside, but i worry about his age and adjustment to both moving to the US and playing regularly against opponents who are far superior to anything he's faced before. if we draft him, i can see a situation where we don't get much out of him for at least two years - which will waste two years of a cheap rookie deal. and then maybe we find ourselves in a situation where we don't really know or not if he warrants a second bigger deal.
That's been said about several players over the last few years.
Greek freak comes to mind.

Back to the OP. His area for improvement sounds a lot like Wiggins. :?
T_J

Post by T_J »

I watched him shoot a couple 3's there and I'm completely out on him. That jumper is hideous.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll just disagree about readiness. i think the steps that clarke (22) and hachimura (21), both 3 year collegians at one of the best bb schools in the country, are going to have to make are baby steps compared to the global leap that is facing an 18 year old doumbouya.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Which is why, if we were to draft him, we should stash him for at least a year.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 am Clanke is a low first rounder with limited upside.
the latest SI mock has him getting picked at #23
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 am
Draft him at #11 to stash him? Is that what your saying?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 am
Draft him at #11 to stash him? Is that what your saying?
For one year, yes. I'd rather him get consistent and meaningful minutes to help his development without wasting a year on his rookie contract.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 am Clanke is a low first rounder with limited upside.
No he's not.

You should name all the high upside guys. You know, the one's that have crazy athleticism but don't quite show it? I'm sure they are all better athletes and can improve on their 70% shooting more than Clarke.I bet they all play both ends too. Probably play just as hard too.