Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want to Draft Brandon Clarke at 11?

Yes, he is a plug and play energy defender which we need
50%
No, his ceiling is much too low for a lottery pick
46%
Not sure on prospects yet
4%

Total votes: 26

UnFadeable21

Re: Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Brandon Clarke will workout with the Wolves on June 12
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Name a player like Clarke who had a big impact this playoffs:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 am Name a player like Clarke who had a big impact this playoffs:
Rodman, Marion, Iggy, etc.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

New Draft Express Mock

14. Boston Celtics (via Kings)

Brandon Clarke
Gonzaga
F

Height: 6-foot-8 | Weight: 207

With most of Boston's big men potentially hitting free agency, the frontcourt could be a real position of need for the Celtics at the draft. Clarke's versatility as a rim-protecting, pick-and-roll-switching lob-catcher is intriguing on this roster.

He will turn 23 prior to his first NBA game, and he was one of the most productive players in college basketball this past season, meaning he should be ready to step in and help right away. He also has some untapped upside left thanks to his freakish athleticism and budding shooting ability, and he doesn't need any plays called for him, making him a strong match for the existing pieces already in place.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

3 things in that summary I would love for the Wolves: rim protecting, pick and roll switch defnder, doesn't need plays called for him.

That's what we need on this team. We already have a top 10 offense. We need defense and guys who know their roles!
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:37 am
thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 am Name a player like Clarke who had a big impact this playoffs:
Rodman, Marion, Iggy, etc.
THIS playoffs.

You said... Iggy.

Survey says... Clarke is nothing like Iggy.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Kevon Looney. Who is less athletic than Clarke and not the rim runner he is.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 am
I said “big impact”. And Looney is quite a bit bigger, btw.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 am
Looney has made a big impact. Kerr has said so repeatedly. You are right that he’s about an inch and a half taller and thirty pounds heavier. What is “big impact” to you? Steph? Klay or Kawhi? They ain’t in this draft at 11 TT.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 am

Looney has made a big impact. Kerr has said so repeatedly. You are right that he’s about an inch and a half taller and thirty pounds heavier. What is “big impact” to you? Steph? Klay or Kawhi? They ain’t in this draft at 11 TT.
VanVleet, Norman Powell, Quinn Cook, these guys are having bigger impacts and would be available.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Clarke on a good team would probably look nice. Clarke on a bad team will be asked to do too much and will look like trash.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:29 am Clarke on a good team would probably look nice. Clarke on a bad team will be asked to do too much and will look like trash.
You can say that about pretty much every role player on a good team.

The backlash against Clarke is almost solely based on his physical profile without even taking into account his athleticism or his incredibly high IQ and natural instincts.

It's like saying that Wiggins is a great scorer since he once averaged 23.6 ppg.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:29 am Clarke on a good team would probably look nice. Clarke on a bad team will be asked to do too much and will look like trash.
With the right pieces, good health, we are a playoff team
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

You can't play wicked D, rebound and run the floor on a bad team?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 am
We were last year.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I hope so but that assumes health across the board as this team can't absorb injuries very well.

Teague needs to be the old Jeff Teague, not the Timberwolves Jeff Teague. Bob needs to be healthy. Saric needs to be consistent.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 am
We were last year.

Our health was wrecked last year bro. Roco out for 40 games. Teague; Rose, and Tyus all went down with injuries. Add in Thibs and Jimmy saga, last year was doomed.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 am

VanVleet, Norman Powell, Quinn Cook, these guys are having bigger impacts and would be available.
Probably Van Vleet. Certainly not the other two. Quinn Cook is not more important to the Golden State Warriors than Kevon Looney. Oh well. We disagree.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:39 pm Probably Van Vleet. Certainly not the other two. Quinn Cook is not more important to the Golden State Warriors than Kevon Looney. Oh well. We disagree.
Sure.

Even Kevon Looney was picked 30th.

I just don’t see how it’s a good idea to pick Clarke at 11.

Especially when it’s wings and PGs doing most of the heavy lifting in these playoff games.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 am

Wait,,, You said "big impact" and now you are saying free agents? What's your point?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Mplsfonz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:28 pmWait,,, You said "big impact" and now you are saying free agents? What's your point?
What free agents did I mention?
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:45 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:28 pmWait,,, You said "big impact" and now you are saying free agents? What's your point?
What the heck are you talking about then?
Just read above.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Mplsfonz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:33 pm
Just read above.

I think he means draftees like those guys are available.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Just read above.

It's the TT special. Can't make an argument then change the argument. Then argue the argument.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Just read above.

It's the TT special. Can't make an argument then change the argument. Then argue the argument.
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 pmI think he means draftees like those guys are available.
Moses gets it.

You two can keep on fucking the dog.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

I knew what TT meant immediately. I think we’re getting carried away. Brandon Clarke works out for the Wolves June 12th. Maybe something leaks from that workout. I still think he’s a solid pick at 12. Although I think I’d take Doumbouya over him now.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Just read above.

:lol:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Just read above.

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 pmI think he means draftees like those guys are available.
Moses gets it.

You two can keep on fucking the dog.
Grow up. Geez.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

11. Minnesota Timberwolves — Brandon Clarke

6-8 forward/center, redshirt junior, Gonzaga

The Timberwolves are another team that is tough to read right now. New lead basketball operations executive Gersson Rosas is making his first selection in that role after years in Houston. Following his hiring of Sachin Gupta as vice president of basketball operations, it’s reasonable to expect a data-heavy approach to team building. Rosas isn’t a “pure analytics” guy, having come up through the Rockets’ system as a video coordinator before becoming director of scouting and the No. 2 behind Daryl Morey, but it’s fair to assume that data will play a role.

Even despite his age and measurements being a hindrance in such measures, Clarke measures out well across NBA models, finding himself right in this range for most teams. In large part, that’s because Clarke’s production this season was off the charts. If not for the presence of Zion Williamson, Clarke would have set the single-season record for PER in college basketball over the last decade at 37.2. His 69.9 true-shooting percentage was absurd given that only about 50 percent of his shots inside the arc were assisted. Not since Anthony Davis has a player finished first in individual offensive and defensive rating.

Then, throw in the fact that he’s a perfect fit with Karl-Anthony Towns, and it’s extremely easy to get excited about Clarke’s potential in Minnesota. Clarke’s an elite level weak-side rim protector despite his lack of length due to his sense of timing and quickness off the ground. His mobility would also be a strong fit, as he’s capable of guarding players across the positional spectrum. With David Vanterpool being hired on Thursday to run the defense, it’s easy to imagine Minnesota running the same scheme Vanterpool ran in Portland, with Towns mostly playing drop coverage and staying around the basket, and Clarke playing the versatile Al-Farouq Aminu role. Offensively, Towns’ ability to stretch the floor from the center position would space the floor for Clarke’s rim-running and ability to operate in the mid-post. This is my favorite potential fit for any prospect in the draft.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The Athletic mock draft released today