Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want to Draft Brandon Clarke at 11?

Yes, he is a plug and play energy defender which we need
50%
No, his ceiling is much too low for a lottery pick
46%
Not sure on prospects yet
4%

Total votes: 26

Mplsfonz

Re: Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 am

Which is why, if we were to draft him, we should stash him for at least a year.
Draft him at #11 to stash him? Is that what your saying?
For one year, yes. I'd rather him get consistent and meaningful minutes to help his development without wasting a year on his rookie contract.
I don't think we are In a position to stash players. We may miss out on him, but at #11 we need a player to develop here and get some minutes in the NBA. He doesn't look like a dominant player to me, and staying overseas playing with that weak competition does seem like a good development.

As for Clarke, I don't think I want another Canadian on the team. Don't know if the killer instinct is there. (See Wiggins)
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:27 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 am Clanke is a low first rounder with limited upside.
No he's not.

You should name all the high upside guys. You know, the one's that have crazy athleticism but don't quite show it? I'm sure they are all better athletes and can improve on their 70% shooting more than Clarke.I bet they all play both ends too. Probably play just as hard too.
Boston Market, now!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 am Clanke is a low first rounder with limited upside.
No he's not.

You should name all the high upside guys. You know, the one's that have crazy athleticism but don't quite show it? I'm sure they are all better athletes and can improve on their 70% shooting more than Clarke.I bet they all play both ends too. Probably play just as hard too.
Boston Market, now!
Do they have burgers? Really in the mood for a bacon cheeseburger.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:42 am
No he's not.

Boston Market, now!
Fuck, I'm starving. :cry:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

All the college basketball watching in the world won’t make some people good talent evaluators.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:55 am
Thrillkill wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:42 am

Boston Market, now!
Fuck, I'm starving. :cry:
Knuckle burgers. :punch:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm All the college basketball watching in the world won’t make some people good talent evaluators.
:lol: Jesus dude. You are embarrassing yourself.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This guy's the next Derrick Williams with a worse shot. Bwhahaha

STAY AWAY ROSAS!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:48 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am sekou's got a lot of upside, but i worry about his age and adjustment to both moving to the US and playing regularly against opponents who are far superior to anything he's faced before. if we draft him, i can see a situation where we don't get much out of him for at least two years - which will waste two years of a cheap rookie deal. and then maybe we find ourselves in a situation where we don't really know or not if he warrants a second bigger deal.
That's been said about several players over the last few years.
Greek freak comes to mind.

Back to the OP. His area for improvement sounds a lot like Wiggins. :?
great point about the Freak. the doncic kid and kristaps are also really killing it in the nba.

but in adherence to the Rubechat Fairness Doctrine (Article V, Section 16) it is only right that the following players and draft positions also be included in this discussion. frank ntilikina (8), dragan bender (4), thon maker (10), georgios papagianis (13), guerschon yabusele (16), mario hezonja (5), emmanuel mudiay (7), dante exum (5), lucas noguiera (16), enes kanter (3), jonas valanciunas (5), jan vesely (6), and bismack biyombo (7).

i think the nba gets it wrong more often than they get it right when it comes to foreign talent.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If Fade wants him and thinks he'll be good, that's enough reason to run away.
Let's get Tropical
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Gone are the days when power forwards like Duncan; Webber, and Kg ruled the paint.

The power forward has gotten smaller than the days of KG era when even the lesser skilled guys were still big like Rasheed, Mcdyess, Amare etc. 6’10 and up.

Today’s nba, the 4 guy in both conferences are much smaller. Pj Tucker, Tobias, Jae Crowder, Tj Warren, Morris twins, Thad Young. 6’6-6’8 guys.

Brandon Clarke is 6’8. He was 215 in college and right now is 207 at the combine. I’m sure it’s the water weight for working out drills and doing private workouts everyday.

He’s 22, when he continues to grow older his body will get bigger and thicker. 225lbs easily by when he is in his mid late 20’s and early 30’s
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:48 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am sekou's got a lot of upside, but i worry about his age and adjustment to both moving to the US and playing regularly against opponents who are far superior to anything he's faced before. if we draft him, i can see a situation where we don't get much out of him for at least two years - which will waste two years of a cheap rookie deal. and then maybe we find ourselves in a situation where we don't really know or not if he warrants a second bigger deal.
That's been said about several players over the last few years.
Greek freak comes to mind.

Back to the OP. His area for improvement sounds a lot like Wiggins. :?
great point about the Freak. the doncic kid and kristaps are also really killing it in the nba.

but in adherence to the Rubechat Fairness Doctrine (Article V, Section 16) it is only right that the following players and draft positions also be included in this discussion. frank ntilikina (8), dragan bender (4), thon maker (10), georgios papagianis (13), guerschon yabusele (16), mario hezonja (5), emmanuel mudiay (7), dante exum (5), lucas noguiera (16), enes kanter (3), jonas valanciunas (5), jan vesely (6), and bismack biyombo (7).

i think the nba gets it wrong more often than they get it right when it comes to foreign talent.
I think they get it wrong on 80% of all talent. Most of those drafted don't even see a second contract, and most not even with the team that drafted them.
But to site your fairness doctrine, all foreign talent has to be evaluated very thoroughly. They can find talent (no draft numbers, too lazy to look up) but players like Tony Parker, Al Horford, Dirk, Vlade Divac, AK47, Toni Kukoc, Steve Nash, Gasol brothers, Yao Ming, Manu, JJ Vagina, and a little known fact is Kyrie Irving was born down under. So, at this point, international ball is starting to catch up. And plenty of tape makes it easier.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:09 pm If Fade wants him and thinks he'll be good, that's enough reason to run away.
I know basketball, it’s been proven. Been around this game my whole life.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

I like Clarke but agree if Fade likes him I tend to second guess it... that said he still is a guy I like.
j2j

Post by j2j »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:49 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:09 pm If Fade wants him and thinks he'll be good, that's enough reason to run away.
Not saying this is you, but there are a lot of people that have "been around this game their whole life" and don't have a clue what they're watching or talking about.

Remember Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm This guy's the next Derrick Williams with a worse shot. Bwhahaha

STAY AWAY ROSAS!
He cranks a lot of 3's and can't hit them, plays no D, and he wants to be a 3? Really? Do you know what thread you are in?
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

The Clarke backers are approaching Untraceable-level ballwashing of WCS-types in the old dawn.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm All the college basketball watching in the world won’t make some people good talent evaluators.
Thoughts on Bol Bol? :thinking:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I don't think Clarke will be a star but I think he could be a very good glue guy piece to our core of Kat, Wigs, and Cov. I like players who embrace their role and excel in it. I expect all 3 of those guys to continue to take another step. That's where most of the shots will go too.

In this league, there are stars and the rest of the team is role players. If you can excel in your role as a role player, you can help a team win at a very high level.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'm trying to come up with a list of lottery level draft prospects that were almost exclusively known for their defense that ended up being good selections. Outside of 7ft, super long shot blocking centers, are there any? Heck, most big time shot blockers are drafted later on.

Maybe I'm missing someone?

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

j2j wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm I'm trying to come up with a list of lottery level draft prospects that were almost exclusively known for their defense that ended up being good selections. Outside of 7ft, super long shot blocking centers, are there any? Heck, most big time shot blockers are drafted later on.

Corey Brewer.

Learn the game.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:54 pm
j2j wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm I'm trying to come up with a list of lottery level draft prospects that were almost exclusively known for their defense that ended up being good selections. Outside of 7ft, super long shot blocking centers, are there any? Heck, most big time shot blockers are drafted later on.

Corey Brewer.

Learn the game.
So it's been 12 years... Pretty much yesterday. :D

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Nah, I don’t think you’re missing anyone. Not in the lottery anyways. But this draft is just not great. I don’t think a lot of us would be so content with Clarke at 11 if they’re were guys that projected to surely be better. I don’t think there are. I think Clarke is safe and sometimes safe is ok. But I also get the flip side of wanting upside, especially a guy who can create and shoot. Not sure there is though.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm
If the Wolves picked him at 11 it would be a hell of a lot more than interesting.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 pm
If the Wolves picked him at 11 it would be a hell of a lot more than interesting.
You belong in the PST thread!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Yes please!

Bol Bol and Sekou are my targets. Sekou if still there than Bol
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:07 pm I don't think Clarke will be a star but I think he could be a very good glue guy piece to our core of Kat, Wigs, and Cov. I like players who embrace their role and excel in it. I expect all 3 of those guys to continue to take another step. That's where most of the shots will go too.

In this league, there are stars and the rest of the team is role players. If you can excel in your role as a role player, you can help a team win at a very high level.
High end role players have a huge effect on if your best become star level players. It's not a freaking vid game. It's not a game of horse.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:49 pm
thinktank wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 pm

You belong in the PST thread!
I think you clearly do. For my sig, #1. And B, Bol Bol ain’t going 11, Teach.

:beer:
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

I am good with him.

At the 4 I still count Saric as a player we still need to utilize. Clarke is a great compliment to Saric.

At 11 not expecting a star so getting a positive piece that fits with the rest and can give some quality minutes.

Need some D help and Clarke brings that. Id be happy with him.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Not saying this is you, but there are a lot of people that have "been around this game their whole life" and don't have a clue what they're watching or talking about.

Remember Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown.
i just read that prior to the 2003 draft, kevin mchale was heaping the praise on lebron james and his chances in the league coming directly out of high school - and in the next breath said "and also that kid from texas". which meant ndudi ebi. i was dumbfounded to hear how highly regarded ebi was coming out of high school.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.