Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want to Draft Brandon Clarke at 11?

Yes, he is a plug and play energy defender which we need
50%
No, his ceiling is much too low for a lottery pick
46%
Not sure on prospects yet
4%

Total votes: 26

D_B_U

Re: Brandon Clarke Draft Thread

Post by D_B_U »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:41 am 11. Minnesota Timberwolves — Brandon Clarke

6-8 forward/center, redshirt junior, Gonzaga

The Timberwolves are another team that is tough to read right now. New lead basketball operations executive Gersson Rosas is making his first selection in that role after years in Houston. Following his hiring of Sachin Gupta as vice president of basketball operations, it’s reasonable to expect a data-heavy approach to team building. Rosas isn’t a “pure analytics” guy, having come up through the Rockets’ system as a video coordinator before becoming director of scouting and the No. 2 behind Daryl Morey, but it’s fair to assume that data will play a role.

Even despite his age and measurements being a hindrance in such measures, Clarke measures out well across NBA models, finding himself right in this range for most teams. In large part, that’s because Clarke’s production this season was off the charts. If not for the presence of Zion Williamson, Clarke would have set the single-season record for PER in college basketball over the last decade at 37.2. His 69.9 true-shooting percentage was absurd given that only about 50 percent of his shots inside the arc were assisted. Not since Anthony Davis has a player finished first in individual offensive and defensive rating.

Then, throw in the fact that he’s a perfect fit with Karl-Anthony Towns, and it’s extremely easy to get excited about Clarke’s potential in Minnesota. Clarke’s an elite level weak-side rim protector despite his lack of length due to his sense of timing and quickness off the ground. His mobility would also be a strong fit, as he’s capable of guarding players across the positional spectrum. With David Vanterpool being hired on Thursday to run the defense, it’s easy to imagine Minnesota running the same scheme Vanterpool ran in Portland, with Towns mostly playing drop coverage and staying around the basket, and Clarke playing the versatile Al-Farouq Aminu role. Offensively, Towns’ ability to stretch the floor from the center position would space the floor for Clarke’s rim-running and ability to operate in the mid-post. This is my favorite potential fit for any prospect in the draft.
Was just about to come over and post this.

I am not a great NBA draft mind, but that write up got me excited! I wish he would have at least shared some of the potential cons of the selection to give balance but seems like Clarke would be a great fit.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I like Clarke. He won’t be a superstar but if he can be an above average role player glue guy, I would be happy.

I like our core of KAT, Wigs, and Roco.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I trust this FO and staff. Never thought I see myself say that about the Wolves.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Told you noobs Brandon clarke has game. Dude just hustles his ass off, rebounds and slams everything.

Summer league MVP and just helped the Grizz beat the Wolves for the Vegas title.

Would of loved him on the Wolves..... Culver better be the real deal because Clarke would of been a perfect starter at the 4 for us.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 pm Told you noobs Brandon clarke has game. Dude just hustles his ass off, rebounds and slams everything.

Summer league MVP and just helped the Grizz beat the Wolves for the Vegas title.

Would of loved him on the Wolves..... Culver better be the real deal because Clarke would of been a perfect starter at the 4 for us.
If you have been following here, you would have learned by now that you no longer need a 4. Worthless and overrated. In fact I hear Silver is considering removing that position from the NBA.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:49 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 pm Told you noobs Brandon clarke has game. Dude just hustles his ass off, rebounds and slams everything.

If you have been following here, you would have learned by now that you no longer need a 4. Worthless and overrated. In fact I hear Silver is considering removing that position from the NBA.
the Knicks missed that memo
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

culver may still turn out to be a very good nba player. i'm not expecting that this year, and unless a wiggins trade happens, i don't expect him to get anything more than bench minutes this season anyway.

but as for clarke - i don't think his college career or his SL performance are flukes. he's ready to contribute right now - he'll do what he does which is hustle his ass off, play great D and shoot in the paint for high percentage. plus i think he's got a chip on his shoulder for going so late in the first round. also, did you see that he went 5 of 9 from three in the SL? everybody was laughing earlier about his dorky form, but he may prove to be effective enough at it anyway. my guess is that when they do the 2019 ReDraft thing a year from now, clarke will be top 8. and yeah, he'd be nice here as a starting 4.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

I always thought his ceiling might be Kenyon Martin, but he could easily be Derrick Williams too. Right out of the gate he’ll be good and then the League will adjust to him pretty quick. I am still glad we didn’t draft him.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I will wait and see what he does against real NBA players.
Didn't Tyus win SL MVP too?

It seems like everybody who had a take on a player will bump a thread saying Rosas screwed up and should have listened to me. :scooter:

He did go 21st, so some flags had to be there.
Also, he should be ready to contribute right away, he's almost 23.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Would have been great if Wolves could have convinced Boston to trade their #14 (NAW at #16) & #20 (Clarke at #21). It would have taken more than just the #11 pick though. Maybe throw Seric in?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am I will wait and see what he does against real NBA players.

It seems like everybody who had a take on a player will bump a thread saying Rosas screwed up and should have listened to me. :scooter:

comparing clarke to tyus because they were both SL MVPs doesn't fly IMO. tyus has virtually zero athleticism, clarke has top end athleticism. it's one of the bugs that has hindered jones' nba career, and clarke won't have that mountain to climb. the majority of nba players will have to keep up with clarke's athleticism. plus, how does the nba learn to take away clarke's strengths? all out hustle, crashing the glass, great D.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:19 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am I will wait and see what he does against real NBA players.

comparing clarke to tyus because they were both SL MVPs doesn't fly IMO. tyus has virtually zero athleticism, clarke has top end athleticism. it's one of the bugs that has hindered jones' nba career, and clarke won't have that mountain to climb. the majority of nba players will have to keep up with clarke's athleticism. plus, how does the nba learn to take away clarke's strengths? all out hustle, crashing the glass, great D.
I guess you missed my point.
SL MVP is meaningless to most true fans, one of the reasons I used Tyus as an example. Hell even Randy Foye won it his rookie year.

SL is just that.
He SHOULD dominate at 23 yrs old.
I guess the true point is, every time some rube starts a thread, and that player has a great game, those rubes that liked said player brings it back out to show they had it right and the FO screwed up again.
I like Clarke, and think he will be a fine player, but lets not anoint him just yet based off of good SL play.

Plus, there is/was a reason for his slip in the draft.
D_H

Post by D_H »

How did this guy slide down as far as he did? that being said , I've learned summer league really doesn't mean a whole lot.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am

SL MVP is meaningless to most true fans, one of the reasons I used Tyus as an example. Hell even Randy Foye won it his rookie year.

SL is just that.
I guess the true point is, every time some rube starts a thread, and that player has a great game, those rubes that liked said player brings it back out to show they had it right and the FO screwed up again.
I like Clarke, and think he will be a fine player, but lets not anoint him just yet based off of good SL play.

Of course if he was a member of the Timberwolves you would be gushing about him calling him a steal right now, correct???
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

D_H wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am How did this guy slide down as far as he did? that being said , I've learned summer league really doesn't mean a whole lot.
Shooting probably.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

D_H wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:35 am
Mplsfonz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am

SL is just that.

Of course if he was a member of the Timberwolves you would be gushing about him calling him a steal right now, correct???
Not me. And he very well could be a steal.
Again my point is, every time he has a good game, we'll see this thread and rubes bashing Rosas.

Can you answer why he fell in the draft?
Would you have taken him at #11 or #6?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

D_H wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am How did this guy slide down as far as he did? that being said , I've learned summer league really doesn't mean a whole lot.
He's a 6'8 PF with a 5'2 wingspan.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Summer league don't mean a damn thang.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am Summer league don't mean a damn thang.
Oh, oh, Fade ain't gonna like that.

What is your take on Rising Stars MVP, 'Tube?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:59 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am Summer league don't mean a damn thang.
Oh, oh, Fade ain't gonna like that.

What is your take on Rising Stars MVP, 'Tube?
I thought that it was TEH BOMB when Wiggins won it.

Now I see Wiggins as a bomb. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Could be the next Randy Foye!

Damnit.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:47 am
He's also very light. Should be a good role player.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Ahhh...

We just have a smarter front office then everybody else evidently??
D_H

Post by D_H »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am
Shooting probably.
:shrug:

Never saw him play just heard he was MVP of the summer league. I really don't follow college basketball that much.
D_H

Post by D_H »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm
He's also very light. Should be a good role player.

Unless of course we drafted him then he would be an All-Star caliber player, correct?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

D_H wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm

Ahhh...

We just have a smarter front office then everybody else evidently??
WTF does that even mean?

Lets run through this. We picked 6th. He was picked at 21. You expect the Wolves to pick him at #6? What about those other 15 teams? The Spurs passed on him too. Are they idiots?

Great insight though: "I've learned summer league really doesn't mean a whole lot." Wow, groundbreaking work!
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

For a team that now wants to play positionless basketball, a guy who can guard 4 positions might have been a good fit.

Yes, we drafted 6 and he went 21rst....but we did that at the expense of Saric. What if we stood pat...got Clarke at 11 and then had Saric as a way to get other things done? wow....instead we blew are wad for Garland and ended up with Culver. Now I know Culver loves God and had one heck of a practice in Vegas, so that means he is going to be great, but I have been reading this board for long enough to know if it was Culver who blew up Summer League, the Rosas apologists would be crowing loudly.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Stork311 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm For a team that now wants to play positionless basketball, a guy who can guard 4 positions might have been a good fit.

Yes, we drafted 6 and he went 21rst....but we did that at the expense of Saric. What if we stood pat...got Clarke at 11 and then had Saric as a way to get other things done? wow....instead we blew are wad for Garland and ended up with Culver. Now I know Culver loves God and had one heck of a practice in Vegas, so that means he is going to be great, but I have been reading this board for long enough to know if it was Culver who blew up Summer League, the Rosas apologists would be crowing loudly.
Blah, blah, blah, non-sense, non-sense, non-sense. Making assumptions on things no one has said. No one has said he's the greatest player ever. Everyone see's he needs to work on his shot. Most admit their primary intent was to get Garland and Culver was plan B. Many did like Saric and were disappointed he was moved (me included).

But rational posters can understand what and why. They had no intent of re-signing Saric. Move him to move up and get one of the two players they had on their board.

But whatever, it's done, they had a plan, took some chances, some worked out, some didn't.

It's not like Clarke went at #7 or #12, he went #21 for fucks sake. You guys are being fucking stupid.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Stork311 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm For a team that now wants to play positionless basketball, a guy who can guard 4 positions might have been a good fit.

Blah, blah, blah, non-sense, non-sense, non-sense. Making assumptions on things no one has said. No one has said he's the greatest player ever. Everyone see's he needs to work on his shot. Most admit their primary intent was to get Garland and Culver was plan B. Many did like Saric and were disappointed he was moved (me included).

But rational posters can understand what and why. They had no intent of re-signing Saric. Move him to move up and get one of the two players they had on their board.

But whatever, it's done, they had a plan, took some chances, some worked out, some didn't.

It's not like Clarke went at #7 or #12, he went #21 for fucks sake. You guys are being fucking stupid.
One of two players they had on their board. Ha...that's funny. Hey...please drink some more of this delicous Kool Aid.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Wait, are people upset the Wolves didn't snag up someone I never heard of until about 4 minutes ago?