Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Froob annual NBA mock draft* Complete

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Froob annual NBA mock draft* pick #35 *mlhouse is otc

Post by somuchyummy »

bri wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:24 pm I think I'm up?

With pick #38 the Chicago Bulls select Jordan Bone PG from Tennessee
you cock sucking whore! sorry. didn't really say that. but jeez! it's back to the old drawring board.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:03 pm Please give mlhouse a little more time. He got deactivated, I'm still not sure why. I placed him in the box until I found more out, still no clear reason... I let him out yesterday.
Yeah, it was because the Sausage King is a cock sucking whore.

I updated information in my profile and that deactivated my account. Then when it was reactivated apparently Shane Churla and I dropped gloves.
thinktank

Re: Froob annual NBA mock draft* pick #27 *HHM is otc

Post by thinktank »

witljon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:55 pm
thinktank wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:52 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:05 pm Wife says if we have it at BJs she’ll go.
Your wife says she'll give BJs a go?
CORRECT.

(You broke it.)
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:53 pm id say no. we've only got two more years of gorg's contract and - while here - if he's played to his strengths, isn't a bad option off the bench for our frontcourt. wouldn't want to lose the first rounder.
as the guy that received the trade request, this is my thought as well. That's a high price to pay to just shave off one year.
And regarding the whole "this saves $17 million," no it doesn't because you're not getting money here, you're just getting cap space. You will turn around and give that same allotment of funds to somebody else in 2020, so all you're really getting (hopefully) is a slightly better rate of return on who the money is spent on.

Plus, isn't 2022 getting into the time when high school kids will be back in the draft? If so, we definitely don't want to be trading those picks.

And there's still players I like on the board for our pick coming up.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:53 pm id say no. we've only got two more years of gorg's contract and - while here - if he's played to his strengths, isn't a bad option off the bench for our frontcourt. wouldn't want to lose the first rounder.
as the guy that received the trade request, this is my thought as well. That's a high price to pay to just shave off one year.
And regarding the whole "this saves $17 million," no it doesn't because you're not getting money here, you're just getting cap space. You will turn around and give that same allotment of funds to somebody else in 2020, so all you're really getting (hopefully) is a slightly better rate of return on who the money is spent on.

Plus, isn't 2022 getting into the time when high school kids will be back in the draft? If so, we definitely don't want to be trading those picks.

One year of a backup at best guy that is paid $17.2 million. Its real money, particularly to an owner that has made more "cash consideration" trades than most owners in league history. If a 2nd round pick is worth $1 million, getting $17 million shaved off the books is a huge value to such an owner.

You trade away a first and second, then trade Thompson later and recover at least the one of the picks. Then spend half of the savings on a MLE level player either this or next off season because dumping Dieng helps the long term finances.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 pm

One year of a backup at best guy that is paid $17.2 million. Its real money, particularly to an owner that has made more "cash consideration" trades than most owners in league history. If a 2nd round pick is worth $1 million, getting $17 million shaved off the books is a huge value to such an owner.

You trade away a first and second, then trade Thompson later and recover at least the one of the picks. Then spend half of the savings on a MLE level player either this or next off season because dumping Dieng helps the long term finances.
First off, you're not trading away Tristan Thompson next year without taking back long term salary, so that defeats the purpose of giving up assets to shave a year off of Dieng's deal.

And it is the same pool of money whether the check goes to Dieng or this other person, so quit trying to pretend that it's not. It's not like our team salary is going to drop by $17M in 2020 and Glen is going to pocket the difference, it's just going to be reallocated.
It's not like the Nets are saving $18M by getting Atl to take Crabbe in yesterday's deal, they're just reallocating funds so they can go big game hunting for 2 max players. If they strike out, they'll just do a JJ Reddick type deal (1 yr $20M overpay to avoid long term) with some other mid level FA and try again the next year. There's no real money savings.

Plus we no longer have the cache we did a few years ago, so it's not like we're a real viable option for FAs right now if we just let Thompson expire after next year and pooled that money with our other funds. What exactly the plan in 2020 FA for us to use this money on? To give Draymond a big contract and hope he's not just a system player? To give Montrezl Harrell his huge extension? To give Saric a big extension even though people complain on here that he doesn't fit anyway?
For the amount of bitching and moaning that people on this site do about giving contracts to guys like Kevin Martin or Jeff Teague, you'd think more people would have more self awareness about what we actually can attract in FA, and whether we are the type of team that should be giving up assets for cap adjusting.
I don't want to give up assets for the "privilege" of going after some of these 2020 guys.

And on a side note, if one of the mantras of next year is for KAT and Wigs to start maturing and taking some leadership with this organization, why would you want to bring in Tristan Thompson and his reality TV bullshit? At least with Gorgui you know what you get, and that's a good locker room guy.

As a real life MN fan, do you really believe in this deal or are you as the Cle GM in this game, trying to convince me as the MN GM in this game, to accept this draft day trade?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:34 am

First off, you're not trading away Tristan Thompson next year without taking back long term salary, so that defeats the purpose of giving up assets to shave a year off of Dieng's deal.

And it is the same pool of money whether the check goes to Dieng or this other person, so quit trying to pretend that it's not. It's not like our team salary is going to drop by $17M in 2020 and Glen is going to pocket the difference, it's just going to be reallocated.
It's not like the Nets are saving $18M by getting Atl to take Crabbe in yesterday's deal, they're just reallocating funds so they can go big game hunting for 2 max players. If they strike out, they'll just do a JJ Reddick type deal (1 yr $20M overpay to avoid long term) with some other mid level FA and try again the next year. There's no real money savings.

Plus we no longer have the cache we did a few years ago, so it's not like we're a real viable option for FAs right now if we just let Thompson expire after next year and pooled that money with our other funds. What exactly the plan in 2020 FA for us to use this money on? To give Draymond a big contract and hope he's not just a system player? To give Montrezl Harrell his huge extension? To give Saric a big extension even though people complain on here that he doesn't fit anyway?
For the amount of bitching and moaning that people on this site do about giving contracts to guys like Kevin Martin or Jeff Teague, you'd think more people would have more self awareness about what we actually can attract in FA, and whether we are the type of team that should be giving up assets for cap adjusting.
I don't want to give up assets for the "privilege" of going after some of these 2020 guys.

And on a side note, if one of the mantras of next year is for KAT and Wigs to start maturing and taking some leadership with this organization, why would you want to bring in Tristan Thompson and his reality TV bullshit? At least with Gorgui you know what you get, and that's a good locker room guy.

As a real life MN fan, do you really believe in this deal or are you as the Cle GM in this game, trying to convince me as the MN GM in this game, to accept this draft day trade?
i'm with oriole on this.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

But you make the major point in favor of the trade: the money goes to someone other than Dieng. Dump Dieng and spend the MLE on a player that will make double the contribution at half the cost.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 am

But you make the major point in favor of the trade: the money goes to someone other than Dieng. Dump Dieng and spend the MLE on a player that will make double the contribution at half the cost.
You can sign someone with the MLE already though whether Dieng is here or not in 2020, our roster is pretty thin as of now. You don't need to give up assets to get rid of him a year early.
Your argument only works if we're real close and this cap reallocation can put us over the top to becoming a true championship contender, or if we thought we were a team that could attract a big time free agent. WE're neither of those things right now. We're back to being a "slow and steady wins the race" type team

Does it suck having to pay $17M to Gorgui Dieng? Sure, but they also did that to themselves and sometimes in business you just need to swallow a bad decision instead of throwing more perfectly good assets at trying to fix it.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

witljon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:03 pm Please give mlhouse a little more time. He got deactivated, I'm still not sure why. I placed him in the box until I found more out, still no clear reason... I let him out yesterday.
:thumbsup:
Rube god punishment for selecting a player for another team on a weekend perhaps?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:25 am

You can sign someone with the MLE already though whether Dieng is here or not in 2020, our roster is pretty thin as of now. You don't need to give up assets to get rid of him a year early.
Your argument only works if we're real close and this cap reallocation can put us over the top to becoming a true championship contender, or if we thought we were a team that could attract a big time free agent. WE're neither of those things right now. We're back to being a "slow and steady wins the race" type team

Does it suck having to pay $17M to Gorgui Dieng? Sure, but they also did that to themselves and sometimes in business you just need to swallow a bad decision instead of throwing more perfectly good assets at trying to fix it.

While technically you are correct, the fact is you can't. The Wolves for 2020-21, with Dieng, have $93 million committed to just 6 players. Just finalizing their roster puts them in jeopardy of pushing the luxury tax because of those 6, just 3 are starters.

Dieng represents a serious resource allocation error that spending a future draft pick is a cheap price to reverse. Draft picks are valuable but in this case you and the others are significantly overvaluing them.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:41 am
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:25 am

While technically you are correct, the fact is you can't. The Wolves for 2020-21, with Dieng, have $93 million committed to just 6 players. Just finalizing their roster puts them in jeopardy of pushing the luxury tax because of those 6, just 3 are starters.

Dieng represents a serious resource allocation error that spending a future draft pick is a cheap price to reverse. Draft picks are valuable but in this case you and the others are significantly overvaluing them.
The luxury tax for 2020 is $143M
We're at 6 rostered players for 2020 as of NOW, but that's not counting potentially 2 draft picks each from the classes of 2019 and 2020, all on cheap rookie deals. So let's say it's really closer to $100M for 10 rostered players.
So we're really not that close to the luxury tax in 2020 as you try to say we are.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Re: Froob annual NBA mock draft* pick #39* HHM is otc

Post by Oriole81 »

Plus, let's not forget how much harder it becomes being able to make future trades when you've got future picks already pledged out. We just experienced that with seeing how long it took for the Adriaen Payne pick to finally be conveyed, and how painful it was to not be as competitive from a trade partner standpoint for so many years.

Let's not be so quick to get ourselves back into that hole when we're not even close to being championship contenders.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

too much time taken up carping about gorgui's contract. it is what it is - and was a product of those times. when he gets some regular minutes, he's a contributing rotational big. yes, after 6 years, his career numbers of 8 and 6 aren't remarkable in any way - but he did have three seasons in a row of 10 and 8, 10 and 7 and 10 and 8. his career averages are much lower because he had some years where he hardly played.

give me gorgs any day over miles plumlee - another contract from those times. he just finished his seventh year - next season he'll finish his fourth year in a row at $12.5M. he's got career averages of 5 and 4.5. his best season was 8 and 7.8 with a next best of 5 and 3.8. on a $50M contract!

point being, there are loads of centers in the league right now who cashed in at the right time and are making their GMs look ridiculous. gorgui is far from the worst of these - plus he's a good teammate.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Pelicans take Zach Norvell Jr at 39
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
mglviks

Re: Froob annual NBA mock draft* lottery results posted*HHM is OTC

Post by mglviks »

Seenin wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 pmIll play.
Sorry couldnt get u an earlier pick. But youre up for the Kings!
somuchyummy

Re: Froob annual NBA mock draft* pick #40* Seein is otc

Post by somuchyummy »

asking for a friend.

does seenin have till monday to make his pick because of the weekend rule? actually, i'm not asking for a friend. i'm up after him and just want to know if i need to check in any more this weekend.
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:30 am asking for a friend.

does seenin have till monday to make his pick because of the weekend rule? actually, i'm not asking for a friend. i'm up after him and just want to know if i need to check in any more this weekend.
We know you don't have a friend......
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

witljon wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:56 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:30 am asking for a friend.

We know you don't have a friend......
damn. busted.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

I'll get my pick in today. Moving day for me.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Seenin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:55 pm I'll get my pick in today. Moving day for me.
good luck with the move. if you're like me, the moving guys will be cursing your book, cd and vinyl collection by the end of the day.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

It’s been over 24hrs...whoever is up gets Sharmorie Ponds, PG from St. John’s and move on to next person
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:32 pm It’s been over 24hrs...whoever is up gets Sharmorie Ponds, PG from St. John’s and move on to next person
but sid. it's also the weekend rule. and seenin was moving. he said he'd get back to it yesterday, but didn't - things come up. i'm okay waiting a little longer - and i'm up next.

and to seenin. yo! dude! let's see your pick.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:32 pm It’s been over 24hrs...whoever is up gets Sharmorie Ponds, PG from St. John’s and move on to next person
but sid. it's also the weekend rule. and seenin was moving. he said he'd get back to it yesterday, but didn't - things come up. i'm okay waiting a little longer - and i'm up next.

I’m just bored and in hospital, broke my scapula right at spine so I’m in a lot of pain and starting to go stir crazy until surgery later this week...want to draft! Can’t wait to go after work as it happened at a work team building event
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:59 pm

I’m just bored and in hospital, broke my scapula right at spine so I’m in a lot of pain and starting to go stir crazy until surgery later this week...want to draft! Can’t wait to go after work as it happened at a work team building event
Ouch. Sorry bud! Get well soon.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Seein can be skipped. He said he was gonna pick today, yesterday. Aware he was up and this much time passed. Ok to skip even on a weekend. We all should be home/done with weekend plans. Anyone can pick here.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Get well.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

mglviks wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Ouch. Sorry bud! Get well soon.
Thanks
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Get well.
Thanks
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

odd he missed it because he was wanting to get an earlier pick. anyway, i vote for chuma okeke, luguentz dort, admiral schofield or naz reid. they've all been mocked as high second rounders to late firsts - so getting one of those four seems like good value at 40. OP mglviks - why don't you make the call?

and sorry to hear about your break, sid. ouch. get well.