Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Small Hands

Re: *** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

Post by Small Hands »

Joboo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:19 pm I get the argument against Clarke... I do... as I've said before I was against him a few months ago and then starting watching him and despite everything he has going against him... the dude can ball.

Realistically he is probably a 215-220 lb guy with the proper diet but he will never be a 230lb guy because I doubt that unreal athleticism will translate with the higher weight.

Shocker (sarcasm) He had the highest standing Vert at 34" (Gordon 32.5) , Max Vert at 40.50" (AG 39), best lane agility 10.61 (AG 10.8)

He his an elite athlete with elite understanding of the game... I have never seen a guy his size with better timing on blocks. Besides the gritty toughness and smarts of a Taj Gibson was trying to figure another comp maybe Aaron Gordon with less range?

Keeping using Taj not based on measurables but a guy who does the little stuff that the boxscores don't show.
Bingo
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Critical for teams targeting him to get the medical reports. But those measurements are unbelievable.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 pm
Critical for teams targeting him to get the medical reports. But those measurements are unbelievable.
Bol Bol is my pick. Wouldn't shock me if he ends up going before.

Clarke may be the safer pick but Bol has the higher ceiling.

#ReachForTheStarsYoungFella
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

1. Well fuck... I put huge value in the interviews, and this guy is well spoken, and has a mature vibe to him. Though that might come from him being 30 years old. Bonus points to him for the interview.

2. The talk about shooting annoys me a bit. Obviously he needs to work on that shot, obviously he should and has been putting time in the gym. But assuming it's 1v0 shit like so many guys do, it doesn't mean anything yet. Lot of guys can knock down shots in an empty gym, then things change when they get into a game setting. Curious what kind of work he's putting in.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 pm
1. Well fuck... I put huge value in the interviews, and this guy is well spoken, and has a mature vibe to him. Though that might come from him being 30 years old. Bonus points to him for the interview.

2. The talk about shooting annoys me a bit. Obviously he needs to work on that shot, obviously he should and has been putting time in the gym. But assuming it's 1v0 shit like so many guys do, it doesn't mean anything yet. Lot of guys can knock down shots in an empty gym, then things change when they get into a game setting. Curious what kind of work he's putting in.
Very true but let's be honest, he would be shooting open jumpers/ 3 balls with his speed vs 4s. I am really starting to like his playstyle the more I watch of him. He has crazy timing, hustle, and a great go-to spin move.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Very true but let's be honest, he would be shooting open jumpers/ 3 balls with his speed vs 4s. I am really starting to like his playstyle the more I watch of him. He has crazy timing, hustle, and a great go-to spin move.
Even if true, a wide open 3 in a game isn't all that comparable to shooting alone in a gym. Add in the decision, the movement, defense closing out, fans screaming, time/situation, the pass...

He's on my "ok sure, I'll take him, but there are others I'd prefer" list.

KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Rubes are panicking about Clarke's weight at PF & you're not concerned that Bol's weight is almost identical?
j2j

Post by j2j »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Rubes are panicking about Clarke's weight at PF & you're not concerned that Bol's weight is almost identical?
Definitely a concern, I'm not a huge Bol Bol guy, but height and reach is a factor in that criticism as well.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Does anyone worry about Bol and KAT on the floor together? Especially against good teams that space the floor and stretch your defense. I just don’t see it.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 pm Does anyone worry about Bol and KAT on the floor together? Especially against good teams that space the floor and stretch your defense. I just don’t see it.
Yes. The way the NBA is going I think the Wolves only see KAT as a 5.
witljon

Post by witljon »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Bol Bol definitely has a high ceiling, but I feel its a long shot he reaches his potential.
When I think Bol Bol, I think bust.
When I think Bol Bol, I think Hasheem Thabeet.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 pm Does anyone worry about Bol and KAT on the floor together? Especially against good teams that space the floor and stretch your defense. I just don’t see it.
Yes. The way the NBA is going I think the Wolves only see KAT as a 5.
I just think your big next to KAT needs to be super mobile and versatile on defense. I think it’s even more important than having a big who can shoot playing with KAT. Doesn’t have to be Clarke necessarily either. Doumbouya is very athletic and has good feet as well according to scouts.(I have honestly not watched one minute of him specifically)
j2j

Post by j2j »

witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Bol Bol definitely has a high ceiling, but I feel its a long shot he reaches his potential.
Sergeant Rubetube pimping Bol Bol while literally spending every other second of his life bitching about centers shooting 3s is the ultimate irony.

witljon

Post by witljon »

What about Tacko Fall in the 2nd round?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Sergeant Rubetube constantly talks about how he hates soft ass big men who aren’t tough and shoot on the perimeter. He harkens back to the 90s every other basketball post. And then says “You gotta take Bol Bol baby!”
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 pm
I watched Tacko Fall play twice all year. I feel like I need to watch more of him before I give an honest opinion. My early impression is that he doesn’t have the mobility on defense needed to be a great defensive player and he’s pretty raw on offense.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

okay, i take it back what i said earlier about clarke sounding like an idiot during a post game interview during the ncaas. he's fine - actually a good interview. i think he must have just been completely gassed during the other interview i saw with him - it was probably after that game when he had 36 some points.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 pm
naw... we're going with sagaba the beast konate in the second. book it.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
witljon

Post by witljon »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 pm
witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 pm What about Tacko Fall in the 2nd round?
I watched Tacko Fall play twice all year. I feel like I need to watch more of him before I give an honest opinion. My early impression is that he doesn’t have the mobility on defense needed to be a great defensive player and he’s pretty raw on offense.
Watching Zion struggle against him is enough for me to spend a 2nd rounder on him.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 pm
witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 pm What about Tacko Fall in the 2nd round?
Watching Zion struggle against him is enough for me to spend a 2nd rounder on him.
Great point. But even in that game Tacko fouled out. Announcers said it was an issue all season. But hell I think this years 2nd round is not good so I could see taking a chance on size.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

actually, my deep desire now is that the combine length and weight measurements scare off clarke's other first round suitors to the point that it's apparent that he's going to drop all the way back to the twenties. and we call the celtics, offer them our 11 for their 20 and 22. they take it and we still walk away from the first round with clarke at the 20, but also add virginia's combo guard ty jerome with the 22. value baby.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Even if true, a wide open 3 in a game isn't all that comparable to shooting alone in a gym. Add in the decision, the movement, defense closing out, fans screaming, time/situation, the pass...

crazy stat: clarke had more blocked shots this year than missed field goal attempts. and he doesn't just dunk everything either.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 pm

crazy stat: clarke had more blocked shots this year than missed field goal attempts. and he doesn't just dunk everything either.
63.1% of his shots were at the rim where he shot 79.7%.

FWIW, he had the exact same number of missed shots as blocks according to sports-reference. 117 of each.

His age is also higher than the combined number of 3s he took in 3 seasons of college basketball. ;-)

Fun with stats.

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 pm
witljon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Sergeant Rubetube pimping Bol Bol while literally spending every other second of his life bitching about centers shooting 3s is the ultimate irony.
Hey, I'm looking for a star. Beggars can't be choosers where we are picky in a incredibly poor draft.

We need to take a chance not find the next mediocre roll player.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 pm

FWIW, he had the exact same number of missed shots as blocks according to sports-reference. 117 of each.

His age is also higher than the combined number of 3s he took in 3 seasons of college basketball. ;-)

Fun with stats.
i'm actually sort of shocked that only 63% of his shots were at the rim. i expected that number to be closer to 80%.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Fun with stats.
you want to hear a crazy statlike nugget i just learned today? no cheating - off the top your head, do you think there are any players taken way back in the second round of the 2005 nba draft still playing? long shot right? wrong, there are actually still four players taken 31 to 60 that year who are still kicking it out on a nightly basis - cj miles, ersan ilyasova, amir johnson and lou williams. ask that question a year ago and we would have also included monta ellis and marcin gortat on that list. hope springs eternal.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Fun with stats.
If Larry Nance Jr is what you are looking for, so be it. I'm setting the goals higher.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Fun with stats.
you want to hear a crazy statlike nugget i just learned today? no cheating - off the top your head, do you think there are any players taken way back in the second round of the 2005 nba draft still playing? long shot right? wrong, there are actually still four players taken 31 to 60 that year who are still kicking it out on a nightly basis - cj miles, ersan ilyasova, amir johnson and lou williams. ask that question a year ago and we would have also included monta ellis and marcin gortat on that list. hope springs eternal.
Finding a gem like any of those in the 2nd round would be miracle work for this club, but please, just once.