Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: *** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

Post by HeHateMe »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 am
Wakanda wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm French kid is looking awesome. He will be gone before we pick
this draft is weak. He's going top 8
Zion, Ja, RJ.. then Garland, White, Reddish, Hunter and Culver are all going somewhere in the top 10. That's 8, I doubt Sekou gets by both of Atlanta's picks so that's 9 of 10 guy. Hachimura, Bol, Little, Hayes, NAW, Clarke … one of those gone and we get the pick of the rest.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Someone have a worst case scenario 1-10? That's how I deal with FF drafts, i assume everyone takes who i want, then what do I do?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 pm Someone have a worst case scenario 1-10? That's how I deal with FF drafts, i assume everyone takes who i want, then what do I do?
j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am That means we won't get him. Wonder what plan B is?
Hopefully Sekou is plan A, but they don't expect him to be there. Then someone else swoops in and grabs Rui, leaving Sekou for us.

Zion, Ja, RJ, Hunter, Culver, Garland, and White are the 7 guys who I believe are guaranteed to go before us.

Then there's a mashup of these 7 who I believe have a chance of being in the top 10 somewhere due to rumors:
Cam Reddish
Sekou Doumbouya
Rui Hachimura
Brandon Clarke
Jaxson Hayes
Nassir Little
Kevin Porter Jr

Best case scenario Porter and Reddish are 2 of the 3 we need to go before us.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
witljon

Post by witljon »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm Any chance Jaxon Hayes falls to pick 11?
I'd say there's a chance....
Wakanda

Post by Wakanda »

Wakanda wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm French kid is looking awesome. He will be gone before we pick

It worth moving up to try and grab him? What would it cost to move up 3 spots?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

not a big fan of hayes. seems like he lucked into being this year's buzz guy. there's one every year. and i get his strengths - but they're honestly not that unusual anymore. nic claxton - mocked mid second - has nearly the same measurements and nearly the same season avgs as hayes, but nic can actually put the ball on the floor. i'm not saying that claxton should also be a lottery player. i'm saying i'm dubious about hayes' path to becoming a lock for the lottery. if i were putting together a mock i'd have those two fairly close sometime in the late first early second round. hayes, fyi, shot ZERO 3 pointers in his one season in college and had averages of less than 9rpg and 0.5 apg PER 40. i just can't get that excited about him.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 pm not a big fan of hayes. seems like he lucked into being this year's buzz guy. there's one every year. and i get his strengths - but they're honestly not that unusual anymore. nic claxton - mocked mid second - has nearly the same measurements and nearly the same season avgs as hayes, but nic can actually put the ball on the floor. i'm not saying that claxton should also be a lottery player. i'm saying i'm dubious about hayes' path to becoming a lock for the lottery. if i were putting together a mock i'd have those two fairly close sometime in the late first early second round. hayes, fyi, shot ZERO 3 pointers in his one season in college and had averages of less than 9rpg and 0.5 apg PER 40. i just can't get that excited about him.
Hayes is a late bloomer. He wasn't a starter for his high school team until his senior year. He didn't start for Texas until late December. He's raw and will take some time, but his defensive potential is crazy. He kinda reminds me of Joakim Noah. I don't know if he will make an immediate impact, but he could be really good in a couple years.

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Really hope Garland falls. I see a lot of Poop Richardson in the kid.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 pm not a big fan of hayes. seems like he lucked into being this year's buzz guy. there's one every year. and i get his strengths - but they're honestly not that unusual anymore. nic claxton - mocked mid second - has nearly the same measurements and nearly the same season avgs as hayes, but nic can actually put the ball on the floor. i'm not saying that claxton should also be a lottery player. i'm saying i'm dubious about hayes' path to becoming a lock for the lottery. if i were putting together a mock i'd have those two fairly close sometime in the late first early second round. hayes, fyi, shot ZERO 3 pointers in his one season in college and had averages of less than 9rpg and 0.5 apg PER 40. i just can't get that excited about him.
Hayes is a late bloomer. He wasn't a starter for his high school team until his senior year. He didn't start for Texas until late December. He's raw and will take some time, but his defensive potential is crazy. He kinda reminds me of Joakim Noah. I don't know if he will make an immediate impact, but he could be really good in a couple years.

i get that. but i wouldn't take him at 11. i'll belabor my point with stats - as i am wont to do, with a comparison between him and claxton. both played for schools in tough conferences (hayes' big 12 had 6 ncca tourney teams, claxton's SEC had 7) - so they've faced similar competition. they both played about the same MPG - so i'll use PER 40 stats. claxton is a year older than hayes.

hayes - 17.1/8.6/0.5 with 3.8 blocks
claxton - 16.4/10.8/2.3 with 3.2 blocks

combine results:

hayes - 6-11.5 and 219 lbs - 7-3.5 wingspan - 9-2.5 standing reach - 5% body fat
claxton - 6-11.75 and 217 lbs - 7-2.5 wingspan - 9-2 standing reach - 4.25% body fat

hayes - 27" standing vert - 31" max vert
claxton - 31.5" standing vert - 36" max vert
this one's interesting - claxton has a better standing vert than hayes' max vert - and a full 5" advantage in max verts.

claxton was a half second better than hayes in the lane agility drill.
hayes was 2 tenths better in the shuttle run and 1.3 tenths better in the 3/4 sprint

what's all this suggest to me? that hayes has been the lucky recipient of some inexplicable predraft buzz that every year some players get - and others (like claxton) don't. could he become a really good nba player? sure, i'm not saying he won't. what i'm saying is that the gap between him and a guy like nic claxton (and there are others) isn't nearly as big as these mocks would suggest. and i wouldn't use an 11 on him (or claxton). but if we happened to be picking at 24 and both were available - i'd be hard-pressed to pick hayes over claxton. as it stands, after the combine, it looks like claxton's stock is rising because of the defensive versatility plus the ball handling he showed during workouts there. he may go mid to late 20s now like i suggested he could. hayes at 11 seems like a real reach for a player who at this point is pretty one dimensional.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:05 am Really hope Garland falls. I see a lot of Poop Richardson in the kid.
I think Poop Richardson has a better shot at playing in a Wolves uni next year. Or maybe Poop's former teammate, Winston Garland.

EDIT, looks like Winston missed Poop by a couple of years.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Judy Garland from Kansas will be available.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:08 pm
Zion, Ja, RJ.. then Garland, White, Reddish, Hunter and Culver are all going somewhere in the top 10. That's 8, I doubt Sekou gets by both of Atlanta's picks so that's 9 of 10 guy. Hachimura, Bol, Little, Hayes, NAW, Clarke … one of those gone and we get the pick of the rest.
Wouldnt be shocked if Reddish dropped out off top 8
witljon

Post by witljon »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 am

Right now (if available) Im liking Reddish, Hayes, Little, Porter jr, and maybe Sekou at 11.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

If we trade back I sure hope we land Ty Jerome.
Dude gets no love. But I see a mini Rubio, only with a 3pt shot.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I know I've said that Rui is one prospect that I do not want but Reddish takes the cake for me. Dude has bust written all over him. He was not very good at all.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mglviks wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 am If we trade back I sure hope we land Ty Jerome.
Dude gets no love. But I see a mini Rubio, only with a 3pt shot.
why a mini rubio? dude's 6-5. i see more a maxi tyus with a shot.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:05 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm Any chance Jaxon Hayes falls to pick 11?
Sure if Hachimura and Doumboya go before him. Atl desperately need a front court pair for Collins. Lot will depend if they see Collins as a 4 or a 5.
I'd draft Goga Bitazde before Hayes if I needed a center. I wouldn't even be too surprised if Atl took him at #10.
witljon

Post by witljon »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 am
Sure if Hachimura and Doumboya go before him. Atl desperately need a front court pair for Collins. Lot will depend if they see Collins as a 4 or a 5.
I'd draft Goga Bitazde before Hayes if I needed a center. I wouldn't even be too surprised if Atl took him at #10.
I have never seen Bitadze play, have you?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 am
Will depend if they see Collins as C or 4. Will depend just how fast they intend to play. If I was them I'd certainly consider slowing the pace and playing bigger with Bitazde at the 5. He reminds me a little of Pek
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:37 am

I know I've said that Rui is one prospect that I do not want but Reddish takes the cake for me. Dude has bust written all over him. He was not very good at all.
Why woudl you pass on Rui? He has a solid floor and a huge upside. Big motor. Strong prospect.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Why woudl you pass on Rui? He has a solid floor and a huge upside. Big motor. Strong prospect.
I just like Clarke better. That's pretty much it. Might not be the most logical position to take but for once I want to draft a guy that is pretty much plug and play that you know will be a good defender.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 pm

I just like Clarke better. That's pretty much it. Might not be the most logical position to take but for once I want to draft a guy that is pretty much plug and play that you know will be a good defender.
ok.. I get it. But, if Brandon Clarke did not exist then you would consider Rui? Which do you think was more important to Gonzaga?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

He might be a strong prospect, relitively speaking, but the BBIQ and more so rebounding are big concerns and may drastically limit his upside. The question with him is what are the effects of the late start and language barrier. I am less forgiving in my assessments regarding thoes things personally.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 pm

ok.. I get it. But, if Brandon Clarke did not exist then you would consider Rui? Which do you think was more important to Gonzaga?
1) Yes
2) Clarke impacted the team in many more ways than Rui did. Not saying Rui was bad by any means at all because he was amazing this year but Clarke was one of the most impactful players in college last year.

j2j

Post by j2j »

Have there been negative comments about Rui's bbiq?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:13 pm

He might be a strong prospect, relitively speaking, but the BBIQ and more so rebounding are big concerns and may drastically limit his upside. The question with him is what are the effects of the late start and language barrier. I am less forgiving in my assessments regarding thoes things personally.
I just see that as huge potential that has been untapped.

The real question is do the Wolves have the patience and/or expertise to develop these things. Teach the guy to properly box out, which isn't that hard, and he would be a tremendous rebounder because he is very powerfully built. He has shown knacks for offensive rebounding. I also think his game is really suited for the NBA, even more so if he works on his 3 point shooting. Trying to close him out will be a real hard thing to do.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

j2j wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 pm Have there been negative comments about Rui's bbiq?
Well he's not good defensively off the ball and is pretty bad guarding the pnr. I think his off ball play in general is his biggest weakness for me. When he has the ball I think he's pretty exciting and efficient. BTW, answering mlhouse, Brandon Clarke was a much better player for Gonzaga than Hachimura overall. Impacted winning more.
Last edited by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero on Fri May 24, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

This. Hachimura may have more upside as a shooter and handler but that's not our need at the 4. And His upside as a defender is not what Clarke is from minute 1.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm
j2j wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 pm Have there been negative comments about Rui's bbiq?
Well he's not good defensively off the ball and is pretty bad guarding the pnr. I think his off ball play in general is his biggest weakness for me. When he has the ball I think he's pretty exciting and efficient. BTW, answering mlhouse, Brandon Clarke was a much better player for Gonzaga than Hachimura overall. Impacted winning more.
He's a solid defender. most all of his blocks come helping. But he hasn't played a lot of organized ball. He plays hard and made great strides elsewhere while also having to learn the language. He needs time in the team concept but will be really good IMO. I don't want to wait.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm
He's a solid defender. most all of his blocks come helping. But he hasn't played a lot of organized ball. He plays hard and made great strides elsewhere while also having to learn the language. He needs time in the team concept but will be really good IMO. I don't want to wait.
I don’t disagree with any of that except that he was solid defensively. He really wasn’t imo and Clarke made him look decent. A lot of tape of Clarke yelling at Rui on where to be, when to help, and he’s really bad on guarding pnr. I agree he can be good on defense because of his strength, length, and athleticism, but I really think he’s raw on defense. And you’re right to say he hasn’t played organized basketball as much as other prospects and that he has improved vastly in certain areas, but defense I personally don’t think is one of them.