Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: *** Official Wolves #11 Pick in 2019 NBA Draft ***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:40 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:17 pm I'll be shocked if Sekou is there at 11.

He's growing on me...that was impressive. I just am having trouble getting over the reports about his defense.

Aside from Rui, I'll end up supporting whoever we get. I do not want Rui at all. My first preference is Clarke though.

What don't you like about Rui? Just curious.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:45 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:40 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:17 pm I'll be shocked if Sekou is there at 11.

He's growing on me...that was impressive. I just am having trouble getting over the reports about his defense.

Aside from Rui, I'll end up supporting whoever we get. I do not want Rui at all. My first preference is Clarke though.

What don't you like about Rui? Just curious.
Well he kinda fits into the mold of non shooting 4 who isn't a very good defender.

I do love how developed his body is and his game down low. I do think he could develop a respectable jump shot looking at his FT%.

I've just been shell shocked with non defensive players lately. Rui absolutely has the athleticism and strength to become a good defender. I'm just so pessimistic, solely because of how bad our D has been and how seemingly no one has ever come close to fulfilling that potential, that any player that has the label of "high defensive upside" or something similar I don't want.

I want the types of prospects that actually posses developed aspects on defense. That never guarantees that they'll be good defenders in the pros (for reasons like they can't adapt to the increased athleticism in the NBA) but at least you can be certain that a very solid foundation is already in place.

This is why I want Clarke so damn bad. He is athletic as hell, his defensive IQ is completely off the charts, his timing is incredible, extremely fundamentally sound and with all that combined it goes a very long way toward overcoming his weight and length.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Timberwolves targeting Rui Hachimura in 2019 NBA Draft
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/05/18/ ... nba-draft/

Rui Hachimura had been sliding down mock draft boards but a recent report indicates the former Gonzaga Basketball star will be a top-11 pick.
Star Gonzaga Basketball forward Rui Hachimura started the season as the National Player of the Year favorite and consensus top-10 pick in the NBA Draft. Though he continued to play well as the season went on, Hachimura began sliding down mock drafts as Brandon Clarke became more of a focal point of Gonzaga‘s attack.

However, it appears that slide was only happening in mock drafts.

According to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer, Hachimura is expected to be selected in the top 10 but, if he’s still on the board at No. 11, the Minnesota Timberwolves will take him.

There seems to be a sense at the Combine it’s unlikely Gonzaga’s Rui Hachimura could last to the Hornets’ No. 12 pick. Lots of speculation the Timberwolves at No. 11 is his floor.

Minnesota is looking for frontcourt depth and a big man to pair with Karl-Anthony Towns long term. The Timberwolves did acquire Dario Saric and Robert Covington in the Jimmy Butler trade, but need more depth with veterans Luol Deng and Taj Gibson entering free agency.

Hachimura‘s scoring and ability to play either forward position is what intrigues Minnesota. He’s also relatively young in his basketball life and is still just scratching the surface of his potential.

The 6-9, 235-pound Japanese native did not attend this week’s combine which, while rare for players in his position, is something former Gonzaga big man Domantas Sabonis did as well. The two share the same agency.

The Los Angeles Lakers were rumored to be interested in Hachimura before the lottery, after which they jumped from the No. 11 pick to the No. 4 overall selection. It’s unlikely that the Lakers will seriously look into taking him with that pick, but that is the point in the draft order where Hachimura is starting to receive interest.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I think it’s beyond weird that the Wolves give Hachimura a promise this early into the process. I’m not saying it’s not true, wtf do I know? But he’s just not the guy you promise at 11 imho. He’s athletic as hell and has a great story, but he’s not a good defensive player yet and can’t space the floor or create shots for other players. It’s all projection, and unlike a Doumbouya or Nassir Little, Rui is already 21.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

To me, Rui doesn't have that fire I'd want. I've seen him play maybe 3 times and wasn't that impressed.
j2j

Post by j2j »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:34 pm I think it’s beyond weird that the Wolves give Hachimura a promise this early into the process. I’m not saying it’s not true, wtf do I know? But he’s just not the guy you promise at 11 imho. He’s athletic as hell and has a great story, but he’s not a good defensive player yet and can’t space the floor or create shots for other players. It’s all projection, and unlike a Doumbouya or Nassir Little, Rui is already 21.
Is he that athletic? I watched a few videos of him and never saw him dunk the ball or do anything I'd consider super athletic. Nice player, but not anyone to get excited about.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Wakanda

Post by Wakanda »

French kid is looking awesome. He will be gone before we pick
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

j2j wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:42 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:34 pm I think it’s beyond weird that the Wolves give Hachimura a promise this early into the process. I’m not saying it’s not true, wtf do I know? But he’s just not the guy you promise at 11 imho. He’s athletic as hell and has a great story, but he’s not a good defensive player yet and can’t space the floor or create shots for other players. It’s all projection, and unlike a Doumbouya or Nassir Little, Rui is already 21.
Is he that athletic? I watched a few videos of him and never saw him dunk the ball or do anything I'd consider super athletic. Nice player, but not anyone to get excited about.
What concerns me, is the fact that he is a plus 6 inch wingspan, and isn't necessarily a good defender yet. That length, and a decent bbiq, should make him a very good defensive pest at minimum, already.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I don’t know what his specific numbers are but he’s very fluid as an athlete. Maybe I used the wrong term. When you watch Gonzaga he stands out for how well he moves. He doesn’t really stand out skill wise.
j2j

Post by j2j »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:09 pm
I don’t know what his specific numbers are but he’s very fluid as an athlete. Maybe I used the wrong term. When you watch Gonzaga he stands out for how well he moves. He doesn’t really stand out skill wise.
I'll have to watch more.

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

He’s a sure thing. High floor. Maybe not BPA, but you never know. He’s huge and versatile.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I am definitely warming up to the Sekou kid. Nice and young too.

I would be happy with him or Bol

Stay AWAY from the Gonzaga kids and Coby White.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 am I am definitely warming up to the Sekou kid. Nice and young too.

Man, the draft is a funny thing. while nobody knows, my position is 180 degrees from you. Would be thrilled if White was still there, and my next two wish list guys are Hashi and Clarke (very much in that order). I do not want either the euro or Bol...at all. Time will tell.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

No thanks to Hachimura.

His strengths are not what we need and his weaknesses are, in my opinion.

Grab Clarke at #11 and don’t think twice.

At the very least, you got a guy that will play his heart out, rebound, play defense, and offer intangibles needed to be successful.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Stork311 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 am I am definitely warming up to the Sekou kid. Nice and young too.

Man, the draft is a funny thing. while nobody knows, my position is 180 degrees from you. Would be thrilled if White was still there, and my next two wish list guys are Hashi and Clarke (very much in that order). I do not want either the euro or Bol...at all. Time will tell.
Me too.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Coast to coast dunk are pretty athletic. Rui is a good athlete, not a great athlete.

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Speaking of Hachimura, how is his motor as a player?

That for me would be my biggest concern.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Hachimura is Japanese, gonna be hard to comp him to anyone. Watanabe was a bit lighter.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am
Coast to coast dunk are pretty athletic. Rui is a good athlete, not a great athlete.

He's a great athlete. Athlete doesn't mean exclusively jumping. And Rui can jump. Watch the thousand highlights of Hachimura going coast to coast. That kind of handle at that kind of speed from that kind of height? That;s the height of athletic. Did anyone watch Draymond the last game? Anyone marveling at his vert? How about how got 5 steals and 5 rebounds in their huge run and rand down the court and either scored or assisted on 10 dunks and layups.

Hachimura is in the mix. Seriously doubt we gave him a promise but could be a trade back target. if someone watched the GS game and wants to draft him as the next Draymond then he could be gone when we pick.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 am Speaking of Hachimura, how is his motor as a player?

That for me would be my biggest concern.
Non stop. Man did no one watch them play? You guys really missed some fun ball with him and Clarke.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Wakanda wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 pm French kid is looking awesome. He will be gone before we pick
this draft is weak. He's going top 8
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

kilkenny wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am
Stork311 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 am

Me too.
Me three.

Sekou has solidified a top-10 pick, maybe as early as 5? Very small chance White falls. That leaves Rui or Clarke. I like both.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

rest assured the TPups will select the wrong player at #11.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I'll be happy with a more athletic Taj. Come flying in when KAT gets beat, send the ball into the 20th row, send the crowd into frenzy and maybe wake Wiggins up from his nap.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm I'll be happy with a more athletic Taj. Come flying in when KAT gets beat, send the ball into the 20th row, send the crowd into frenzy and maybe wake Wiggins up from his nap.
1.5 times per game.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm I'll be happy with a more athletic Taj. Come flying in when KAT gets beat, send the ball into the 20th row, send the crowd into frenzy and maybe wake Wiggins up from his nap.
1.5 times per game.

Learn the game.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:42 pm
j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 pm
1.5 times per game.

Learn the game.
Well crap, if I knew we were drafting a top 10 shot blocker and the #1 non-center in the league I'd have jumped on that wagon earlier. ;) For 1.8 plays per game.

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Any chance Jaxson Hayes falls to pick 11?
Last edited by Hoop Dreams on Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 pm Any chance Jaxon Hayes falls to pick 11?
Sure if Hachimura and Doumboya go before him. Atl desperately need a front court pair for Collins. Lot will depend if they see Collins as a 4 or a 5.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 pm rest assured the TPups will select the wrong player at #11.
If only we had #1 as you predicted.
JigglyPuff wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm 1. Twolves
2. Knicks
3. Suns
4. Lakers
5. Bulls
1/5 ain’t ba—.