Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Keith_Morrison

New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Ryan Saunders has talked at length about the position but no decision has been reached yet.

http://www.startribune.com/new-wolves-b ... 509779102/

Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas hasn’t wasted much time tackling the major decisions he has ahead of him. After spending Monday at his introductory news conference and Tuesday getting to know the organization better, Rosas has spent a lot of time the past three days in detailed conversations with interim coach Ryan Saunders about the future of the head coaching position, a source told the Star Tribune on Friday.

But Rosas hasn’t made a final decision on who will be the Wolves coach. He will continue evaluating the position and reach a decision over the next seven to 10 days, the source said.

Saunders and Rosas met for several hours Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and have gone over all facets of the franchise. Their discussions ranged from personnel to style of play, player development, building an assistant coaching staff and how to modernize the Wolves offense into a up-tempo efficient offense. But their conversations haven’t just dealt with on the court issues. They have discussed the importance of communication, leadership and how best to succeed in the Minnesota market in collaboration with other aspects of the organization, the source said.

At his introductory press conference, Rosas, who spent 16 years in the Rockets organization, vowed to take a thorough examination of the Wolves and its operations.

“We want to make educated decisions,” Rosas said Monday. “One thing I’ll bring from Houston is we’re going to question the norm with everything that we do. [Owner] Glen [Taylor] wants us to have a world class organization and I believe we have the resources to build that here. We want a sustainable model that’s going to have success.”

Saunders, 33, took over the Wolves after Taylor fired Tom Thibodeau — who served as both the coach and the president of basketball operations — on Jan. 6.

Under Saunders, the Wolves went 17-25 and missed the playoffs, but Saunders has strong relationships with players such as Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins along with Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune. Like, Rosas, Saunders is also a believer in analytics and using that to help guide lineup decisions and style of play.

The perception around the league and the Wolves since late in the season was that Saunders would stay on as coach, and that hasn’t changed since Rosas took over, but Rosas will continue to evaluate what direction he’d like to move in over the next seven to 10 days.

Upon taking the job there was no mandate for Rosas to keep either Saunders or general manager Scott Layden, whose future with the team is still unknown.

Rosas will represent the Wolves on Tuesday at the draft lottery in Chicago. They have a 3% chance of landing the No. 1 pick and a 13.9% chance of jumping from the 10th spot into the top four. Rosas will also be in Chicago for the NBA draft combine on Thursday and Friday.
Keith_Morrison

Re: New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Whoooo!

Spoiler:
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

It’s going to be Ryan Saunders dude.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Thanks for the post, can’t read star tribune anymore lol
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Take this with a grain of salt but I’ve got a friend that works with the Timberwolves Marketing & PR department and he said that Joeger was getting the grand tour of the practicing facility downtown and was all chummy, laughing and cracking jokes with Rosas as they were whisked away in a limo presumably to Manny’s.

Is this a bad sign for Flip Jr.? I would think so since he apparently wasn’t on the dinner invitee list.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

I think they know who the coach will be. Wish they would stop the delay and just name the coach who most of us expect it to be......

George Karl!!!!!! :D
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

HIRE THIBBS!!!!

Bring him back and make him actually coach the Team! The SOB never did it while he was here. Glen is still paying him so he’s a cheap hire at this point.

Thibblodytes Powers Activate!

Form Of - More Old Chicago Bulls Players!
Form Of - Freezing ICE Defense!

Nothing but Red Faced Gorilla sideline rage and Championship banners from the Target Center roof for the foreseeable future.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:00 am Take this with a grain of salt but I’ve got a friend that works with the Timberwolves Marketing & PR department and he said that Joeger was getting the grand tour of the practicing facility downtown and was all chummy, laughing and cracking jokes with Rosas as they were whisked away in a limo presumably to Manny’s.

Is this a bad sign for Flip Jr.? I would think so since he apparently wasn’t on the dinner invitee list.
I don't think Joerger would fit the style Rosas wants his team to play. I could be wrong, though.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Who is the possible next coach if Ryan is not retained? I heard an assistant coach from NO tied to Rosas.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:54 am
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:00 am Take this with a grain of salt but I’ve got a friend that works with the Timberwolves Marketing & PR department and he said that Joeger was getting the grand tour of the practicing facility downtown and was all chummy, laughing and cracking jokes with Rosas as they were whisked away in a limo presumably to Manny’s.

I don't think Joerger would fit the style Rosas wants his team to play. I could be wrong, though.
He's the best coach left on the market. J.B. or Udoka would be good too.

All that being said, Saunders will be the coach. Glen will put his foot down.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Didn’t you guys read the underlined part of the article? :roll:

There was no mandate to keep the interim HC and GM.

Nothing is a forgone conclusion or has been decided as of yet.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Saunders will stay but won't make it to another contract.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I just hope all options are weighed and considered before a decision is made. Whatever decision that may be. That's all we as fans can ask for. That's why we brought in Rosas in the first place. For him to make these decisions without a mandate and to get the right person without any stipulations.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think they're in a unique (and good) situation. ryan was brought in as HC to get the team to the end of the season after thibs got canned. i don't think there's anything set in stone as it pertains to the following year. i won't be upset if saunders gets the job nor will i be surprised if he doesn't. and i can't believe that saunders thinks he's a shoo-in either - unless, of course, glen told him straight to his face "you'll be the HC next year". and that, to me at least, doesn't mean that if saunders isn't offered the job, he's leaving. he might stay on as an assistant - and he'd be a great member of that team. he's not getting offered an HC position elsewhere - so his option would be to go to another team as an assistant. why not stay here as an assistant, where he's got all sorts of good relationships and cred with the players and organization already?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Have we even interviewed a coach?
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Small Hands wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 am

I don't see Rosas going out of his way to hire a guy known for a slow paced offense and having teams in the bottom third of the league in 3PA every year. I don't dispute that he's a solid coach, but I just don't think he's a fit for what this team is going to try to do.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:16 am Have we even interviewed a coach?
Nope and as far as I can tell there haven't been any rumors yet either.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:09 pm
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:16 am Have we even interviewed a coach?
There’s a new Sheriff in town.

Rosas is NOT sharing anything with the media other than his vision for the Timberwolves.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Rosas is NOT sharing anything with the media other than his vision for the Timberwolves.
Haven't you heard, Keith? Rosas is basketball immortality. I'm not sure how he hasn't been hired and won multiple rings yet. Glad the Wopves identified him..

It can't be anything else than a homerun hire!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Haven't you heard, Keith? Rosas is basketball immortality. I'm not sure how he hasn't been hired and won multiple rings yet. Glad the Wopves identified him..

So Rosas is “your guy” Tube?

You like the hire?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:35 pm

You like the hire?
I was being sarcastic, Keith. I'm fine with the hire but the hype is so out of hand. I can't buy into Wolves hype anymore until I see it.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:37 pm

You like the hire?
I was being sarcastic, Keith. I'm fine with the hire but the hype is so out of hand. I can't buy into Wolves hype anymore until I see it.
10-4
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:37 pm

You like the hire?
I hear you and completely understand where you are coming from. I just always want to believe that *this* (any hire) will lead to sustained success.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:26 am

I don't see Rosas going out of his way to hire a guy known for a slow paced offense and having teams in the bottom third of the league in 3PA every year. I don't dispute that he's a solid coach, but I just don't think he's a fit for what this team is going to try to do.
Is Saunders offense going to provide more 3PA? Wolves were 26th in 3PA last season. Kings were 20th. The Kings hit exactly 100 more 3Ps than the Wolves. I'm not saying you're wrong about the direction that Rosas wants to go, but wouldn't Joerger be the lesser of two evils?
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Small Hands wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Is Saunders offense going to provide more 3PA? Wolves were 26th in 3PA last season. Kings were 20th. The Kings hit exactly 100 more 3Ps than the Wolves. I'm not saying you're wrong about the direction that Rosas wants to go, but wouldn't Joerger be the lesser of two evils?
Maybe, but they'd have to commit 4 years and $20 million-ish to get Joerger. No such caveat with Lil' Flip.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Rosas has a 4 year deal. Let’s see if he wants to tie his fate to Ryan.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Come again.
Sacramento Kings: Firing Dave Joerger was a mistake

The Sacramento Kings have officially fired their coach Dave Joerger after a promising 2018-19 season in what was ultimately a bad move for the team.

https://goldengatesports.com/2019/04/13 ... r-mistake/

All of this was overseen by Joerger who helped develop these young players and guide the team to an impressive and unexpected season. He was praised throughout the season for his shift to a more quick-paced, fast-break-heavy offense which became one of the Kings’ calling cards as the season progressed.

Suddenly, there was a new wave of optimism surrounding the Kings organization. A franchise that had long been a laughing stock of the NBA characterized by instability at the top, petty locker room quarrels, and generally unlikeable players and front office members had become one of the most fun and exciting teams in the entire league.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Come again.

The Sacramento Kings have officially fired their coach Dave Joerger after a promising 2018-19 season in what was ultimately a bad move for the team.

All of this was overseen by Joerger who helped develop these young players and guide the team to an impressive and unexpected season. He was praised throughout the season for his shift to a more quick-paced, fast-break-heavy offense which became one of the Kings’ calling cards as the season progressed.

Suddenly, there was a new wave of optimism surrounding the Kings organization. A franchise that had long been a laughing stock of the NBA characterized by instability at the top, petty locker room quarrels, and generally unlikeable players and front office members had become one of the most fun and exciting teams in the entire league.
Yep, I'm aware that Sac played faster this year. I still dont know if someone would pick Joerger specifically to lead an overhaul of a franchise looking to play that style. It's clear he can do it, but is that who he is?
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Come again.

Yep, I'm aware that Sac played faster this year. I still dont know if someone would pick Joerger specifically to lead an overhaul of a franchise looking to play that style. It's clear he can do it, but is that who he is?
No. No I don’t think you were aware of how good of an NBA coach Joerger really is because otherwise you wouldn’t of labeled his offense as one-dimensional.

He’s not like your boy Thibs who was unwilling to change his offense in order to stay relevant in today’s NBA.

He took a perennial loser filled with a bunch of young players and made them into winners.

To me that would be a very attractive HC candidate.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Come again.

No. No I don’t think you were aware of how good of an NBA coach Joerger really is because otherwise you wouldn’t of labeled his offense as one-dimensional.

He’s not like your boy Thibs who was unwilling to change his offense in order to stay relevant in today’s NBA.

He took a perennial loser filled with a bunch of young players and made them into winners.

To me that would be a very attractive HC candidate.
Anyone who can make the Kings something is good in my book.

Luke teh puke will make it a few year's of horrible basketball and touch a few women (Maybe some doods) along the way and be canned again.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master