Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Re: New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

Post by jodaman01 »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:26 am

I don't see Rosas going out of his way to hire a guy known for a slow paced offense and having teams in the bottom third of the league in 3PA every year. I don't dispute that he's a solid coach, but I just don't think he's a fit for what this team is going to try to do.
Come again.
Sacramento Kings: Firing Dave Joerger was a mistake

The Sacramento Kings have officially fired their coach Dave Joerger after a promising 2018-19 season in what was ultimately a bad move for the team.

https://goldengatesports.com/2019/04/13 ... r-mistake/

All of this was overseen by Joerger who helped develop these young players and guide the team to an impressive and unexpected season. He was praised throughout the season for his shift to a more quick-paced, fast-break-heavy offense which became one of the Kings’ calling cards as the season progressed.

Suddenly, there was a new wave of optimism surrounding the Kings organization. A franchise that had long been a laughing stock of the NBA characterized by instability at the top, petty locker room quarrels, and generally unlikeable players and front office members had become one of the most fun and exciting teams in the entire league.
Yep, I'm aware that Sac played faster this year. I still dont know if someone would pick Joerger specifically to lead an overhaul of a franchise looking to play that style. It's clear he can do it, but is that who he is?
I think between the teams he’s coached he has adapted the style of play to the players and and their strengths. I have been begging for that here after watching Mitchell and Thibbs demand the talent play their way even if they couldn’t.

Saunders knows these players and I think would play to their strengths, and don’t doubt Joerger would figure it. Only thing is that Joerger has had success and he keeps getting bounced, and that can’t all be pinned on idiot GMs. Everybody here tried to do that with Thibbs and the GMs in Chicago, we found out the hard way Thibbs was just as big as of a POS as the GMs there. So don’t assume Joerger is without warts.
Thrillkill

Re: New Wolves boss Gersson Rosas will make a decision on coach over next 7-10 days

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:54 pm
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Come again.

Yep, I'm aware that Sac played faster this year. I still dont know if someone would pick Joerger specifically to lead an overhaul of a franchise looking to play that style. It's clear he can do it, but is that who he is?
I think between the teams he’s coached he has adapted the style of play to the players and and their strengths. I have been begging for that here after watching Mitchell and Thibbs demand the talent play their way even if they couldn’t.

Saunders knows these players and I think would play to their strengths, and don’t doubt Joerger would figure it. Only thing is that Joerger has had success and he keeps getting bounced, and that can’t all be pinned on idiot GMs. Everybody here tried to do that with Thibbs and the GMs in Chicago, we found out the hard way Thibbs was just as big as of a POS as the GMs there. So don’t assume Joerger is without warts.
:lol: Yeah, our offense under Thibs really sucked........................right? Right? You should post the proof of that. :lol:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm

:lol: Yeah, our offense under Thibs really sucked........................right? Right? You should post the proof of that. :lol:
So what teams in the playoffs remind you of Thibbs Offense. In the last season alone Thibbs Offense was going the way of the dodo at an astonishing rate.

I didn’t say anywhere that the offense wasn’t effective, that wasn’t my point at all (although I hated watching it - every game was a slog). My point was that Thibbs jammed players into a style of play and made them play it - even if it didn’t play to their strengths. I don’t believe any of our young players were used or developed to there full potential. I read what the new guy is saying and it reads like it’s the exact opposite of what Thibbs did and Mitchell as well - they didn’t adapt to their talent - hell Thibbs didn’t even play many of the players he signed and put on the bench and never played (this was what got him shitcanned in Chicago and even though he said he learned from, he 100% repeated here). Surprise - he got fired again! :roll:

It’s a players league....not a coaches league.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
j2j

Post by j2j »

The best thing that can be said about Thibs's offense was they took shots and got to the FT line. They hardly turned the ball over, in fact were one of the best in the league at that. Possessions always ended in some kind of shot being taken, they were just typically inefficient shots. Lot of midrange and long 2s, though they did get to the FT line. Improve the spacing and limit the ball pounding and he might have had something there. Though the ball pounding helped limit the turnovers.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:08 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm

So what teams in the playoffs remind you of Thibbs Offense. In the last season alone Thibbs Offense was going the way of the dodo at an astonishing rate.

I didn’t say anywhere that the offense wasn’t effective, that wasn’t my point at all (although I hated watching it - every game was a slog). My point was that Thibbs jammed players into a style of play and made them play it - even if it didn’t play to their strengths. I don’t believe any of our young players were used or developed to there full potential. I read what the new guy is saying and it reads like it’s the exact opposite of what Thibbs did and Mitchell as well - they didn’t adapt to their talent - hell Thibbs didn’t even play many of the players he signed and put on the bench and never played (this was what got him shitcanned in Chicago and even though he said he learned from, he 100% repeated here). Surprise - he got fired again! :roll:

It’s a players league....not a coaches league.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
:lol:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm :lol: Yeah, our offense under Thibs sucked........................right? Right? You should post the proof of that. :lol:
It didn’t suck, but...

-Thibs O had a ceiling that wasn’t a top 5 team.

-In 4th quarters Thibs never ran the offense and ran easily defendable isolation matchups.

-Thibs O didn’t do any favors for our defense. Teams were able to rest on defense more than against other offenses. This is because we averaged the fewest passes and player movement of any team in the league. Very little ball movement. This enabled the competition to run tons of ball and player movement in their offense.

Thibs O wasn’t sucky because his players were talented, not because Thibs was good at coordinating a top-notch offense.

This is some good nuanced posting so you’ll probably hate it.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I miss Jimmy Butler iso every 4th quarter where Towns doesn't see the ball. If Butler does pass it, Wiggins or Teague force a jump shot or Gibson misses an open corner three.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Most here were convinced that Flip Jr. was a lock to become the next HC of your Minnesota Timberwolves.

Welp. Rosas has several potential HC candidates lined up for interviews.

Like I said...there’s a new Sheriff in town. No more
Country Club!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm Most here were convinced that Flip Jr. was a lock to become the next HC of your Minnesota Timberwolves.

Country Club!
Hopefully they can the Saunders boy, Keith.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Juwan Howard? Darvin Ham? :cry:

Just give us Ryan Saunders then....
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Latino Heat knows he might need another coach in 24 months or less, so might as well find 2 now with a handful of interested bench coaches to save time in 2021...LOVE his efficiency!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:08 pm Juwan Howard? Darvin Ham? :cry:

Just give us Ryan Saunders then....
Yep. How about a little continuity for a second or 2.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

I'm pulling for Ryan.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I would absolutely love for Ryan to demonstrate he deserves the job through these interviews.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:06 pm I would absolutely love for Ryan to demonstrate he deserves the job through these interviews.
Same here.

In this case I view the competition as a good thing. If he gets the the job people won’t be able to scream Country Club as loud.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Rosey on Common show says it's Ryan according to his source. Does he still have sources?
My heart is family.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm Most here were convinced that Flip Jr. was a lock to become the next HC of your Minnesota Timberwolves.

Country Club!
I think young Saunders will be our coach.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

It would be easy to move Ryan up to player development level and hire a new HC. My guess is that KAT's agent is going to help decide who the next HC is going to be.
T_J

Post by T_J »

qrocks wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am It would be easy to move Ryan up to player development level and hire a new HC. My guess is that KAT's agent is going to help decide who the next HC is going to be.
I thought KAT had already endorsed Ryan as coach. It'd be tough to not bring Ryan in as this point as KAT is getting to the point of having all the leverage in the organization.

I like that Rosas is supposedly looking at some other guys, but it seems like lip service.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

T_J wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 am
qrocks wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am It would be easy to move Ryan up to player development level and hire a new HC. My guess is that KAT's agent is going to help decide who the next HC is going to be.
I thought KAT had already endorsed Ryan as coach. It'd be tough to not bring Ryan in as this point as KAT is getting to the point of having all the leverage in the organization.

I like that Rosas is supposedly looking at some other guys, but it seems like lip service.
I'd have to think if it were a legit "search" the first name would have been Joerger. Not to mention we wouldn't have got the 7-10 day time frame and then days later we are going to start interviewing guys? That make sense? The only way all that plays out that way and we are still looking is if Ryan just blew his interview. Doubt that.
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Maybe they're just covering themselves by interviewing minority candidates so they don't get into a race issue?

Maybe they know Saunders is the guy all along?
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Joerger must have a problem playing nicely with others or something.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

ChrisPaulGeorgeHill wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 am Maybe they're just covering themselves by interviewing minority candidates so they don't get into a race issue?

Maybe they know Saunders is the guy all along?
Forgot about that with Howard and Ham. Never heard Ham as a legit candidate anywhere but you hear Juwan from ex players all the time.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

T_J wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 am

It worked really well when KG started picking and choosing.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master