Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
shoteh

Re: So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

Post by shoteh »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:02 am
shoteh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm With a healthy team I wouldn't mind giving Saunders another chance. HOWEVER with Rosas' input I hope we shoot more 3's.
Why? You know you have to make them or it's just another missed shot right?
WHen have we have ever done iso plays for 3's? It takes opportunity and a willing coach in order to create plays for 3's. I bet we have better shooters than you think.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Think the Wolves job is the last open job right?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

shoteh wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 am
Thrillkill wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:02 am
shoteh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm With a healthy team I wouldn't mind giving Saunders another chance. HOWEVER with Rosas' input I hope we shoot more 3's.
Why? You know you have to make them or it's just another missed shot right?
WHen have we have ever done iso plays for 3's? It takes opportunity and a willing coach in order to create plays for 3's. I bet we have better shooters than you think.
We don't. Not to play the "modern NBA" bullshit. You need all timers to make that work. What I always say is there is no better shot than an open shot. And you just aren't getting 30 open 3's a game. Take them wide open and against the clock. Otherwise a 2 point shot or 2 FT's is a much more efficient way to play. All you have to do is look at our offense without a ton of 3's or great shooters. We have no problem scoring.
j2j

Post by j2j »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 am
Ugh...

I love John Beilein, hate him leaving Michigan... Hope the NBA doesn't chew him up, but I get it. He's 66 and probably looking at his last job. What an amazing rise through the ranks, though. Started as a High School JV coach
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

j2j wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 am
Ugh...

I love John Beilein, hate him leaving Michigan... Hope the NBA doesn't chew him up, but I get it. He's 66 and probably looking at his last job. What an amazing rise through the ranks, though. Started as a High School JV coach
Big win for Richie Pitino and the gophers getting him out of the big 10
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

One of the best offensive minds in American basketball imo. Unfortunately the Cleveland roster is trash. Good luck to him.
T_J

Post by T_J »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 am One of the best offensive minds in American basketball imo. Unfortunately the Cleveland roster is trash. Good luck to him.
I wonder if this signals a K-Love trade. I could see them going for full youth and moving him at the draft.
j2j

Post by j2j »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 am One of the best offensive minds in American basketball imo. Unfortunately the Cleveland roster is trash. Good luck to him.
Absolutely agreed.

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

T_J wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 am
I wonder if this signals a K-Love trade. I could see them going for full youth and moving him at the draft.
Good question. I wonder what you could even get for him. His contract is atrocious. I can't see anyone wanting him.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Wow, I was going to make a joke about it being John when I saw the name Beilien.

I didn't know it was actually him! What a hit to Michigan.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:28 am
Good question. I wonder what you could even get for him. His contract is atrocious. I can't see anyone wanting him.
Swap Love for Wall. Gives CLE a year to develop Nance/Sexton until Wall returns. WAS re-signs Tom S., and that is all they can really do with their jammed up money. Love/Bryant could work together. CLE gonna stink regardless.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

Rosas & Saunders seem to be on the same page with analytics. Here's part of a 2014 NBA.com/Timberwolves article on Saunders involving analytics:

https://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/g ... n-saunders
An Analytics Mindset

Saunders helped form Game Time Concepts, an analytical program that uses in-game analysis and statistical probabilities to provide real-time results.

It’s something that is used by NBA and NCAA teams, which is remarkable. To be a co-founder of an analytics program at such a young age is one thing. To have it used by the best of the best is something else.

“Analytics has really become prevalent in basketball and sports in general,” Saunders said to the Star Tribune back in 2014. “The fact that you can do them in real time now, make adjustments and changes as the game goes on, that’s kind of where it’s starting to go.”

The game is growing every day, and as we’ve seen more than ever, analytics have become a huge part in the league. Expect Saunders to be at the forefront of that.
Or this article from Michael Rand in The StarTribune:
http://www.startribune.com/rand-younger ... fresh=true
Ryan Saunders was officially hired as a Timberwolves assistant coach Tuesday, a move that seemed to be a formality once his father, Flip, added head coaching duties to his title of president of basketball operations.

This market has seen more than its share of father-son combos — enough to toss around the word nepotism without much caution: Rick Adelman, Tubby Smith, Mike Zimmer and Norv Turner, all in the present or recent past, just to name four. It’s an interesting dynamic, to be sure, and one that can create a certain amount of healthy skepticism.

At his introductory news conference Tuesday, Ryan Saunders talked plenty about forging his own identity separate from his dad, which he feels he was able to do in Washington by staying on the Wizards staff the past two-plus years after Flip was fired.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to us, though — and the thing that makes this a merit-based move more than just a name move — is Ryan Saunders’ background in analytics. He is the co-founder of Game Time Concepts, a program that uses in-game analysis and statistical probabilities to provide real-time results.

Game Time Concepts is used by NBA and NCAA teams, and it’s clearly part of Saunders’ belief system. Questions consistently turned to statistical analysis Tuesday, and Saunders was clearly in a comfort zone.

“I’m able to put numbers into how basketball minds can use them,” Saunders said. “Knowing what plays work, what defensive coverages work, as the game goes.”

Ryan Saunders, the Wolves newest assistant and Flip’s son, can analyze basketball’s many statistics.

Saunders cited a specific example of John Wall’s turnover tendencies in Washington as an example of how numbers and information can help improve a player’s game. Wall had a tendency to turn the ball over in transition, but knowing about the tendency helped him make better decisions in games, Saunders said.

“Analytics has really become prevalent in basketball and sports in general,” Saunders said. “The fact that you can do them in real time now, make adjustments and changes as the game goes on, that’s kind of where it’s starting to go.”

Saunders is more than a numbers guy. But in a league in which margins are thin — the Wolves’ infamous poor stretch last season in close games helped doom them — one or two possessions can be huge. If Saunders brings an edge that helps the Wolves in those spots (or helps someone like Ricky Rubio improve overall), he will prove to be more than just his father’s son.

MICHAEL RAND
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Finch is the leading candidate, Ryan is in trouble
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

It’s going to be Ryan Saunders.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Not according to their beat writer.....Love has asked/wants to stay and they want to keep him.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Finch, having worked with our new GM in the past def helps his case. It wouldn't be diligent to not talk to other coaches.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

A picture of Finch, to me the leading candidate for the job

“They say he has experience running an offense centered around star big men like KAT having worked with Nikola Jokic + Anthony Davis.”
Blandon

Post by Blandon »

Not a great Wolves mind... but it's obvious that Ryan's not a head coach if he's not Flip's son.

Last Wolves game I watched, they showed the Wolves huddle during a time out. Ryan said "Hey! We gotta play defense. And we gotta get the loose balls."

Is that coaching? Or just saying the most obvious thing ever?

Not impressed.
witljon

Post by witljon »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:16 am Finch is the leading candidate, Ryan is in trouble
Only if he can convince the Brow to come here.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Let's be honest the PBO was told by Taylor during the interview process ...if I hire you , you must retain Ryan. He said yes sir give me the job.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Blandon wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm Not a great Wolves mind... but it's obvious that Ryan's not a head coach if he's not Flip's son.

Last Wolves game I watched, they showed the Wolves huddle during a time out. Ryan said "Hey! We gotta play defense. And we gotta get the loose balls."

Is that coaching? Or just saying the most obvious thing ever?

Not impressed.
I’m not a huge Ryan Saunders guy but stuff like that is heard in 90% of coaching huddles. Listen to Steve Kerr during Warriors games. Always stuff like that and “ball movement guys!” And he’s one of the best coaches in the NBA.
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

D_H wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:20 pm Let's be honest the PBO was told by Taylor during the interview process ...if I hire you , you must retain Ryan. He said yes sir give me the job.
This
T_J

Post by T_J »

D_H wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:20 pm Let's be honest the PBO was told by Taylor during the interview process ...if I hire you , you must retain Ryan. He said yes sir give me the job.
Well yeah, that's the one part left out of that Athletic story where they had tater tot hot dish and cookies at Glen's house.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

T_J wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm
Well yeah, that's the one part left out of that Athletic story where they had tater tot hot dish and cookies at Glen's house.
Much classier than TTHD. Burgers ...
My heart is family.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Its official.

Last edited by j2j on Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

T_J

Post by T_J »

That's good for keeping KAT happy. We'll never know how much of a mandate this was from Glen. I think the coaching "search" was nonsense though.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Well country club is virtually dead, but with Dayan staying can we call it the Muni?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?