Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
UnFadeable21

So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Lakers hire Ty Lue

Suns hire Monty Williams
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Cupboard is getting bare unless they go with a brand new assistant from somewhere.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Yes, thought that was obvious early on.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

I’d rather Abe coach than Lue
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Heard some interview, I think with Johnny Athletic, that Layden and Saunders are likely to stay around until after the draft. Don't know what the point in holding onto a coach for the draft is. Probably Layden gone after the draft, and Saunders remains...which I'm fine with.

Saunders might fit the analytics mold, though it might not have shown on the court. He simply might not have had the people around him to support the analytics movement, as he was stuck with Thibs guys all around him. I do remember reading something about Saunders during scrimmages giving negative points to any team that shot long range 2's that werent made.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Let me tell you about this JB Bickerstaff.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I think the writing is on the wall.... The Saunders boy is getting the job.

Joerger is the only guy left that interests me.

As much as I'm not a fan of the Saunders boy... At least we didn't hire a overrated perv like Luke.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:49 pm Yes, thought that was obvious early on.
If they don't wait you get all the "counrty club" short cuts to thinking. Yes Taylor is a myopic idiot who only trusts people he knows and big smiles. This time it's working in our favor.

He's smart and has a great rep for development since he joined Flip's staff years ago. I swear I think most people's biggest issue with him is he looks like he's 15.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i like ryan. and not cuz of his smile. it's because he seems to do the work, in all aspects. whether or not that's enough to turn this sorry franchise around, i have my doubts - but i'd have that about anyone except maybe popovich.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Ime Udoka is definitely someone I would be interested in at least bringing in for an interview. Smart, experienced, and immersed in Spurs culture. Shit, I'd interview Becky Hammond. Pop wouldn't have her around if she didn't bring a lot to the table.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Monty Williams was my top choice over Ryan because he was a former player and former head coach.

He was tired of the Lakers dicking around so he took the Suns job when they offered it to him.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Still would give interviews to Ettore Messina. JB Bickerstaff, Ime Udoka. Still thought Ryan did a pretty good job with what he had to work with. Defense needs to not look like Swiss cheese though.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'd love to interview any of the Spurs assistants, but I think ultimately Ryan gets the job. He's already shown a willingness to change the offensive and defensive playbooks to more modern schemes.

More switching on defense, more movement on offense.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Towns and Wiggins love Saunders. The Wolves are a country club. He is the HC in 2019-20. Udoka or Joerger would be my choices.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I think Ryan's schemes align well with what PBO Gerrson is looking for.

Yes, I know he doesn't have the experience, but every successful coach out there was inexperienced at one time.

Yes, he started out with a rather poor record (17-25 ,.405) but normally when a coach is changed in-season it's because you have a crappy team. For example, Coach Pop went 17-47 (.266) his first year. Should he have been fired? Someone mentioned Rick Carlyle as being this great coach, have you checked his record the last 3 years? Each worse than Saunders' record with a depleted roster.

Give the kid a chance.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am I think Ryan's schemes align well with what PBO Gerrson is looking for.

Yes, I know he doesn't have the experience, but every successful coach out there was inexperienced at one time.

Yes, he started out with a rather poor record (17-25 ,.405) but normally when a coach is changed in-season it's because you have a crappy team. For example, Coach Pop went 17-47 (.266) his first year. Should he have been fired? Someone mentioned Rick Carlyle as being this great coach, have you checked his record the last 3 years? Each worse than Saunders' record with a depleted roster.

Give the kid a chance.
Nice post. Especially the bolded.

But a lot of those coaches did cut their teeth in the CBA or college. But I think he's a good fit. If he doesn't work out, drop him next year.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I really hope Rosas does his due diligence and at least interview other coaches. That at least makes the process look legit.

Names that I want to see, and see if they have interest in us is Ettore Messina and Stephen Silas. Take a look at them, and hopefully Ryan would agree to stay on if either are hired. Any Van Gundy is off my list.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am I think Ryan's schemes align well with what PBO Gerrson is looking for.

Give the kid a chance.
His schemes are Flip's. That means move the ball much more with the pass. Less iso and P@R and that's how we should be playing with Towns. He should be what KG was. Not just a weapon but a guy who takes heat off others. Still need to do all of those things but the balance needs to make sense both with the roster and individual players.

What I like most about him though is his rep was always player development guy. Guys like that know what players strengths and weaknesses are. It's a fine line between asking a guy to improve certain things and realizing they will never be good at one thing and game planning around it. I look at Wigs improvement down the stretch as proof of this. Everyone and their cousin thinks Wigs needs to work on his handle and be more aggressive. Well Ryan gave him the ball more which seems silly but he didn't turn it over more, assisted more, and scored more. Because he knows him better than we do. He knew how to help him suceed without tanking another part of the team.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

It's the smart move by Rosas. Not winning it all now anyway. Pay a cheap young guy to take the loses then hire your guy when you're ready to compete.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:22 pm It's the smart move by Rosas. Not winning it all now anyway. Pay a cheap young guy to take the loses then hire your guy when you're ready to compete.
Umm......he's a lot smarter than that. We aren't "taking our losses" this year. We are taking all the wins we would have got with a healthy Roco and a Dieng that plays plus improvement from our considerable youth. Are you expecting us to take a step back?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:22 pm It's the smart move by Rosas. Not winning it all now anyway. Pay a cheap young guy to take the loses then hire your guy when you're ready to compete.
Umm......he's a lot smarter than that. We aren't "taking our losses" this year. We are taking all the wins we would have got with a healthy Roco and a Dieng that plays plus improvement from our considerable youth. Are you expecting us to take a step back?
No, just saying they aren't ready to do much right now other than maybe eek an 6-8 seed out. I'm not saying they won't try.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:37 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm
No, just saying they aren't ready to do much right now other than maybe eek an 6-8 seed out. I'm not saying they won't try.
Just saying that a young coach turns last year's fiasco into a playoff team it doesn't get his boss looking for his replacement. Don't improve from there with our youth and then yeah, you have to decide if your players just aren't that good or they need better coaching. I still don't see us eeking out a spot though. We will add some missing elements and lucky for us they are the kind you can get from a rook that plays hard.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

They should make a choice soon because the lottery is happening soon
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 pm They should make a choice soon because the lottery is happening soon
Don't worry it's the Wolves.

Like letting the guy make one of the biggest trades in your franchises history that you fire a month later.

Brilliant!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Ty Lue reportedly turned down a 3-year, $18M. Lue was seeking a 5-year deal with Lakers.

Lakers moving on

Thibs wants the Lakers job
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

With a healthy team I wouldn't mind giving Saunders another chance. HOWEVER with Rosas' input I hope we shoot more 3's.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 pm Ty Lue reportedly turned down a 3-year, $18M. Lue was seeking a 5-year deal with Lakers.

Lakers moving on

That would be incredible television.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 pm Ty Lue reportedly turned down a 3-year, $18M. Lue was seeking a 5-year deal with Lakers.

Lakers moving on

That would be incredible television.
Come on Lakers ... Kurt Rambis!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

shoteh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm With a healthy team I wouldn't mind giving Saunders another chance. HOWEVER with Rosas' input I hope we shoot more 3's.
Why? You know you have to make them or it's just another missed shot right?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:02 am
shoteh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 pm With a healthy team I wouldn't mind giving Saunders another chance. HOWEVER with Rosas' input I hope we shoot more 3's.
Why? You know you have to make them or it's just another missed shot right?
Weren't we right near top 10 in 3 pt percentage but right near the bottom in attempts last year? We finally didn't shoot an awful 3 ball.