Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Clubhouseleader

Re: So Ryan Saunders Coming Back?

Post by Clubhouseleader »

D_H wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:20 pm Let's be honest the PBO was told by Taylor during the interview process ...if I hire you , you must retain Ryan. He said yes sir give me the job.
DH is spot on again. DH and Sergeant Rubetube are the two most underrated sports minds on froob chat
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Clubhouseleader wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am
D_H wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:20 pm Let's be honest the PBO was told by Taylor during the interview process ...if I hire you , you must retain Ryan. He said yes sir give me the job.
DH is spot on again. DH and Sergeant Rubetube are the two most underrated sports minds on froob chat
You think Ryan is a bad hire? If you do fine but say so. Don't claim that Rosas is immediately Taylor's yes man.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

I am fully on board. Didn't exactly set the world on fire offensively when he took over but he didn't have enough time to put in a lot of his own (Flip's) stuff and we were injured as hell by then. Encouraged by what he got out of the rooks. Encouraged by what he got out of Wigs. Encouraged by what Flip's half court action could get out of Towns. That being constant 20-10-5 like KG.

Now draft him some D and rebounding. Sign him some same. Let him prove he's the development coach that his rep says and the offensive genius that his father was.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Whatever, it's not like Tom Thibodeau was walking through that door any time soon.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

As long as Saunders proved himself as 80 percent as competent as the other candidates, he was going to earn the job because of statements like this:
“It would be something really different for me to have some stability and actually know what’s happening the next day,” Towns said in April. “I’m not going to jinx it because nothing is given when you’re a Timberwolf. I’m just going to go along for the ride and continue to work on myself, my game and be the best player out there.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

memyworld wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:24 pm As long as Saunders proved himself as 80 percent as competent as the other candidates, he was going to earn the job because of statements like this:
“It would be something really different for me to have some stability and actually know what’s happening the next day,” Towns said in April. “I’m not going to jinx it because nothing is given when you’re a Timberwolf. I’m just going to go along for the ride and continue to work on myself, my game and be the best player out there.”
Our offense is OK enough at this point, the complete lack of ever getting a stop is the more pressing issue though Bob single-handedly solved that by himself last season. GM is a more important role at this point. Ryan will do enough i hope to not have us turn on him. He was definitely more flexible than Thibs and finally tossed Saric in the starting lineup which was prudent.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Pretty obvious that this was going to happen. I would've gone in a different direction, but Glen will always keep this fucking franchise in the dumps. Good luck to ya Saunders.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

I have said it before, but I am not sure Ryan is going to get a fair shake out of this team. The talent is very poor, and I doubt ANY coach can get this mess turned around within the next 3 years. We are going to suck until Wiggins contract is up.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Mplsfonz wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm I have said it before, but I am not sure Ryan is going to get a fair shake out of this team. The talent is very poor, and I doubt ANY coach can get this mess turned around within the next 3 years. We are going to suck until Wiggins contract is up.
I've said as much. The only options are for him to get a lot better or we trade him. Otherwise the guy just gets PT that doesn't help us win.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Small Hands wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 pm Pretty obvious that this was going to happen. I would've gone in a different direction, but Glen will always keep this fucking franchise in the dumps. Good luck to ya Saunders.
Glen should sell the team but at least he went a different route with the POBO. Most assumed he'd hire Booth or Billups.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 pm
We got him!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm
We got him!
And he can be our coach for the next 40 years.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Clubhouseleader wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am
:thumbsup: :beer:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:23 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm
We got him!
And he can be our coach for the next 40 years.
I want him to do well, but seriously, doesn't he basically have a lifetime contract or until Glen dies?

He'd have to be trainwreck to ever be fired by Glen. I'm rooting for him to do well, but something about this is all a bit fucked up imo.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Mplsfonz wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm I have said it before, but I am not sure Ryan is going to get a fair shake out of this team. The talent is very poor, and I doubt ANY coach can get this mess turned around within the next 3 years. We are going to suck until Wiggins contract is up.
Wrong. All of it wrong. Remember I said it.

We'll talk later.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I’m happy for Ryan but our defense sucked big time under him.

I hope for good things in our future
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:07 pm I’m happy for Ryan but our defense sucked big time under him.

Hope he hires a defensive asst coach.
My heart is family.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I'm really shocked that Taylor went this route /s

Eh, I'm not too offended. This reminds me of the "Frazier year's"

Young Saunders is a cheap coach under a rebuild.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

This move has Taylor written all over it. As long as Taylor owns the Wolves, the team will continue to be irrelevant. One year from now, we will be praying for the lottery gods to finally bless us with a top pick.

If you had to bet on the Wolves making the playoffs in the next five years, how many of you would bet on the Wolves? Not me.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:07 pm I’m happy for Ryan but our defense sucked big time under him.

How many games did he coach with Roco?
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Being a head coach is as much or more about adapting to players/stars as is it about systems. System coaches survive with the right players (D'Antoni, Thibs), adaptable coaches survive because they can make the best with what they have (Popovic, Adelman).
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Roco or not, the team shouldn’t be giving up 120-130+ Points in 4 quarters.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:51 pm

What was the average with Roco?
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:53 pm

N/A

RoCo never played with Ryan Saunders as the head coach.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:37 pm This move has Taylor written all over it. As long as Taylor owns the Wolves, the team will continue to be irrelevant. One year from now, we will be praying for the lottery gods to finally bless us with a top pick.

If you had to bet on the Wolves making the playoffs in the next five years, how many of you would bet on the Wolves? Not me.
And over the last decade, your lowly Twins have had about the same success. You know, the one's you always "Go to bat" for.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm
The Replacements wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:37 pm This move has Taylor written all over it. As long as Taylor owns the Wolves, the team will continue to be irrelevant. One year from now, we will be praying for the lottery gods to finally bless us with a top pick.

And over the last decade, your lowly Twins have had about the same success. You know, the one's you always "Go to bat" for.
Yeah, and what did a fresh young FO and coach do for them?
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Looking good so far...Go Twins...Go Wolves!
My heart is family.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Long season to go.

It looked pretty good when Tommy and Jimmy had the Wolves sitting in the top 4 with a couple months left to play also.

That Twins pitching staff won't do a damn thing come playoff time (If they get there)
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:59 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:53 pm

N/A

RoCo never played with Ryan Saunders as the head coach.
By the end of the season, I saw improvement out of every player that played under Saunders. Of course some of that could be attributed to him actually playing some of the young players that Thibbs never would have.

I seen improvement out of Towns, Saric, Wiggins, Tyus, as starters, Dieng off the bench looked better than I ever remember him and then the young kids also started showing promise for the bench.

I won’t give Saunders all the credit for that, but he does get some of it.

He deserves a real damn chance with a healthy roster to see if he can make this a TEAM!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup: