Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rosas is new PBO...Country Club is DEAD!

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Rosas is new PBO...Country Club is DEAD!

Post by HeHateMe »

witljon wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 am
Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:24 pm
Why would Layden get reassigned? Rosas is not taking the GM title too.
Rosas would bring in his own guy to be #2. Wouldn't most do that?
But what if he doesn't have one?
:lol: Thoughts?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am
HeHateMe wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 am

Rosas would bring in his own guy to be #2. Wouldn't most do that?
Silly to think he wouldn't bring in people he's familiar with.

Curious on the title, though. Assistant GM? Does that mean Layden is still the Head GM? I'm assuming for the foreseeable future, but how long until the switch is made?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I think Layden and Saunders are two important parts of their mediocre plan. Until rebuild 2021.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Whether true or not (almost certainly not) every report is saying that Rosas had full authority to pick his head coach. Right, right? I'm in the minority but I actually liked what Saunders did in his tenure here so far most notably his willingness to use the bench much more although that happened more as a consequence of a lot of injuries.

I just want to believe that Rosas was a homerun hire and it will work out :cry:

But this is Minnesota :cry:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 am Whether true or not (almost certainly not) every report is saying that Rosas had full authority to pick his head coach. Right, right? I'm in the minority but I actually liked what Saunders did in his tenure here so far most notably his willingness to use the bench much more although that happened more as a consequence of a lot of injuries.

Rosas was a good hire for sure, he looks like a homerun in comparison to who came before. McHale, Kahn, Saunders, Thibs…. that's what we've gotten so far. Three guys who are better off as coaches and the worst gm in NBA history. On Saunders, I think it comes down to the players. Most of the guys you had on your squad last year are back for this year and that's who they're comfortable with going forward. Our patience will be tested a bit with the lack of moves the front office can make with so much money tied up on Dieng, Towns, Wiggins, Teague and Roco. That accounts for what, 90-100 mil right there?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am

Silly to think he wouldn't bring in people he's familiar with.

Curious on the title, though. Assistant GM? Does that mean Layden is still the Head GM? I'm assuming for the foreseeable future, but how long until the switch is made?
I'm assuming that Layden wont be with this organization past this upcoming year and the only reason he wasn't let go was to let Rosas have some time to evaluate him, evaluate this team and hire a coach before the draft came around.

Now that Saunders is our full time head coach having Layden to "hold down the fort" before Rosas' hiring/molding was complete makes him irrelevant IMO.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 am Whether true or not (almost certainly not) every report is saying that Rosas had full authority to pick his head coach. Right, right? I'm in the minority but I actually liked what Saunders did in his tenure here so far most notably his willingness to use the bench much more although that happened more as a consequence of a lot of injuries.

Rosas was a good hire for sure, he looks like a homerun in comparison to who came before. McHale, Kahn, Saunders, Thibs…. that's what we've gotten so far. Three guys who are better off as coaches and the worst gm in NBA history. On Saunders, I think it comes down to the players. Most of the guys you had on your squad last year are back for this year and that's who they're comfortable with going forward. Our patience will be tested a bit with the lack of moves the front office can make with so much money tied up on Dieng, Towns, Wiggins, Teague and Roco. That accounts for what, 90-100 mil right there?
Our cap is pretty much screwed no matter what for a few years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/minnesota-t ... early/cap/

Right now we have ~110 million in 9 players which isn't including our draft picks.

In 20-21 we have ~92 million in 6 players but again that isn't including draft picks and assuming KAT doesn't make an all-nba team this year.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am

Rosas doing work.
Layden now looking for work after July 15.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 am

Right now we have ~110 million in 9 players which isn't including our draft picks.

In 20-21 we have ~92 million in 6 players but again that isn't including draft picks and assuming KAT doesn't make an all-nba team this year.
We have a lot of flexibility next year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:21 am

Goal should be to find an expiring contract for Dieng (or Wiggins).
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 am
Thrillkill wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:21 am

Goal should be to find an expiring contract for Dieng (or Wiggins).
Goal should be to see how good they can get under Ryan. 1st goal is can we flip Teague at the deadline for more than just space we get later. Everyone loves cap space but some space and assets is better than a lot of space and little assets.

This is a huge offseason even though we have no money. Do you spend the MLE and the other exceptions? Remove a lot of that flexibility next year? Or do you sign no one for big money? Those guys you sign could make us a lot better and they could be excellent trade bait. They also could handcuff us next offseason. It is a lot different from the years that we just needed to add as much talent as possible. We have some high end talent. We have some high end role players. We have limited holes in the roster. But we also have limited flexibility. Gonna be a tough call if that MLE guy isn't a legit starting PG.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

CONGRATS TO RYAN!!!

Good Luck this upcoming season.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Style

Post by Style »

I haven’t seen this posted yet. Sachin Gupta, currently in Detroit and creator of ESPNs Trade Machine, may be joining the organization.

Doogie and CanisHoopus have been sharing.

Maybe our days of squandering assets are over!?
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
j2j

Post by j2j »

Style wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:10 pm I haven’t seen this posted yet. Sachin Gupta, currently in Detroit and creator of ESPNs Trade Machine, may be joining the organization.

Doogie and CanisHoopus have been sharing.

Maybe our days of squandering assets are over!?
:naners:

Leads one to believe a moneyball style mindset exists. Analytics and player value per dollar mindset.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 am
jimmyjamjammer wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 am

Curious why we haven't heard anything about a coaching search yet
I'd be shocked if there is a search. I think Saunders remains in the position and Layden is reassigned to a scout.
Rosas has now brought in two dudes. Layden still with the GM title though? :beer: :lol:
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:13 am
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 am

I'd be shocked if there is a search. I think Saunders remains in the position and Layden is reassigned to a scout.
Rosas has now brought in two dudes. Layden still with the GM title though? :beer: :lol:
Ha Layden in his office with his feet up watching youtube. Keep cashing those checks.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

memyworld wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:36 am
Layden is such a lame duck :lol: I wonder what his actual job is now.

But this hire is very shockingly competent. What the hell is going on?

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I'm not sure we've ever had anybody in office that knew how to use the trade machine, let alone invent it.
Style

Post by Style »

irishman89 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:33 pm I'm not sure we've ever had anybody in office that knew how to use the trade machine, let alone invent it.
:lol:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Style wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm
irishman89 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:33 pm I'm not sure we've ever had anybody in office that knew how to use the trade machine, let alone invent it.
:lol:
More like :( cause it's true.
Style

Post by Style »

Three new, competent individuals in the front office. Hard not to be optimistic about that part of the franchise right now.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 pm
memyworld wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:36 am
Layden is such a lame duck :lol: I wonder what his actual job is now.

But this hire is very shockingly competent. What the hell is going on?
Every team chooses to structure their front office differently, but here's how the basketball side looks for a team like the Raptors:

Masai Ujiri: President
Wayne Embry: Senior Basketball Advisor
Bobby Webster: General Manager
Dan Tolzman: Assistant General Manager / Vice-President, Player Personnel
Teresa Resch: Vice-President, Basketball Operations & Player Development
Keith Boyarsky: Vice President, Basketball Strategy & Research

My guess is that this new front office structure for the Timberwolves will allow each post to specialize more effectively.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

What if we become a model franchise? Hurry up and lets start this damn season!
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

100% all these smart guys are firing up their super computers trying to devise a way to dump Sleepy.
Style

Post by Style »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:25 pm 100% all these smart guys are firing up their super computers trying to devise a way to dump Sleepy.
:lol: "super computers"
j2j

Post by j2j »

Style wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:25 pm 100% all these smart guys are firing up their super computers trying to devise a way to dump Sleepy.
:lol: Exactly, these nerds do these things in their head. Computers are for pedestrians.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Style wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 pm
I found some covert footage...