Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Timberwolves Fan Called Blake Griffin ‘boy’

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
TrueBlue

Timberwolves Fan Called Blake Griffin ‘boy’

Post by TrueBlue »

Unacceptable. DO BETTER.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
With his recent outburst at hecklers in Utah, Russell Westbrook ignited a long-overdue discussion of how fans interact with players during games. The Jazz even recently banned a fan who repeatedly called Westbrook “boy” last year.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t an isolated case of that racist language being used toward a player.

Pistons Blake Griffin confronted a fan in Minnesota in December.

Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:
Being called "boy" is what triggered Blake Griffin's confrontation with a Timberwolves fan earlier this season. https://t.co/lU5cXx3yuS

— Vince_Ells56 (@Vincent_Ellis56) March 15, 2019
The fan was seemingly ejected. The Timberwolves didn’t respond to questions whether he faced additional punishment.

I’m all for good-natured heckling. Racist taunts are completely unacceptable – and maybe still more common than we realized. Because Griffin didn’t get as enraged as Westbrook on video, this got swept under the rug.

It shouldn’t be Griffin’s responsibility to fix this. Teams must do a better job holding accountable fans who cross the line.
Spoiler:
Seenin

Re: Timberwolves Fan Called Blake Griffin ‘boy’

Post by Seenin »

I am all for heckling players. Yelling racists comments is over the line though.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

It's getting hard to keep up with what's considered racist and what isn't.

Boy is such a common word that it's almost a stretch to say the guy who said it was racist.

Who's racist and goes to nba games? Does the guy hate everyone on the team but Dario?

Every day there's something new added to the list of things not to say to black people. You can't even call a black person smart without some expert calling you racist for it. It's overwhelming as fuck.

It can cause people to avoid black people altogether since that's the only way to not be called a racist. Makes people not even hire them.

Thanks for curing racism, libs!
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

t_wrex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am It's getting hard to keep up with what's considered racist and what isn't.

Boy is such a common word that it's almost a stretch to say the guy who said it was racist.

Who's racist and goes to nba games? Does the guy hate everyone on the team but Dario?

Every day there's something new added to the list of things not to say to black people. You can't even call a black person smart without some expert calling you racist for it. It's overwhelming as fuck.

It can cause people to avoid black people altogether since that's the only way to not be called a racist. Makes people not even hire them.

you're such a stupid fuck
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

t_wrex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am It's getting hard to keep up with what's considered racist and what isn't.

Boy has ALWAYS been racist to African Americans...

If you don't know this, you live a pretty sheltered life.
Spoiler:
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

You dont have to be racists to yell a racist term at someone to get under their skin. Either way its stupid to do and it motivates them to beat us in which they did that game. There is no room for that type of language in that setting.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:29 am

Exactly. Ignorance is no excuse. I bet someone didn't bother to learn.

White people calling grown black men "boy" is incredibly racist.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Seenin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:43 am

You dont have to be racists to yell a racist term at someone to get under their skin. Either way its stupid to do and it motivates them to beat us in which they did that game. There is no room for that type of language in that setting.
I think you're splitting a hair that isn't there.

To a black guy, what's the difference between a racist calling him "boy" and a guy who is just "trying to get under their skin?" Both are using known racist terms to be hurtful. What is the real difference between someone who is racist and someone who thinks that racism is okay if you're trying to get someone off their game? Is it okay to be racist to help your team win a basketball game? If you think that, aren't you okay with racism? Is that any different from being an overt racist?
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

If you don’t respect the athletes as human beings, what the hell are you watching them for. Better yet, why are you paying to go watch them.

Watching the Russ video, this and the shit with Lillard last year....It’s just sad.
Last edited by jodaman01 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Lightning wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 am

Would help for him to get sober and learn about non white people.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Is there a t-wrex back story? What's with the drunk/sober craziness of this dude? And how do people know?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

T_J wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:58 pm Is there a t-wrex back story? What's with the drunk/sober craziness of this dude? And how do people know?
He's always drunk. He usually tells us. Used to be late nights. Seems it is becoming earlier and earlier anymore.

It's usually hating on women who told him his penis is too small.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Multi-millionaire can't handle someone calling him boy. I've had black people say 100 times worse to me. Grow the fuck up.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Lightning wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 am

:thumbsup:

Complete idiot
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Is this guy racist? He's directing his comment at Fletch!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm

To a black guy, what's the difference between a racist calling him "boy" and a guy who is just "trying to get under their skin?" Both are using known racist terms to be hurtful. What is the real difference between someone who is racist and someone who thinks that racism is okay if you're trying to get someone off their game? Is it okay to be racist to help your team win a basketball game? If you think that, aren't you okay with racism? Is that any different from being an overt racist?
Excellent post.

Anyone who engages in practicing a racist behavior is being racist.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm Multi-millionaire can't handle someone calling him boy. I've had black people say 100 times worse to me. Grow the fuck up.
What have you been called by black people and why I it worse?

Examples please, you poor white privileged snowflake.
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm
T_J wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:58 pm Is there a t-wrex back story? What's with the drunk/sober craziness of this dude? And how do people know?
He's always drunk. He usually tells us. Used to be late nights. Seems it is becoming earlier and earlier anymore.

Lol.

I've never posted anything about women telling me my penis is too small. You got me mixed up with someone.
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

I AGREE with this. You're proving my point.

Dude was probably someone that lives a sheltered life. And as dumb as he was, you would have to be 1000x MORE dumb to yell racist shit on purpose. In public. It can ruin your life, it can go viral, you can lose your job, etc.

Sheltered doesnt equal racist.

People need to calm down and start giving people the benefit of the doubt. All you have to do is say "hey man that's actually racist calling a black man 'boy' it's what everyone called us back in the days when we didn't have any rights" and the dude woulda been like "oh shit, I didn't realize that, I call everyone boy, I didn't realize that, I'm sorry.".

Personally I always hated being called a whiteboy, I don't like the term at all because I'm a white man. It's belittling. Than again, I also know that people who call me that aren't implying that they hate me because I'm white, so I get the fuck over it.

Kids unintentionally say racist shit all the time. Doesn't mean they're racist, they just got some etiquette to learn and unfortunately they usually have to learn the hard way.

Acting like someone died over this and banning people for life isn't the solution. It actually causes MORE racism and creates MORE distance and MORE eggshells and gives black people LESS opportunities.

I don't fault Griffin and Westbrook for getting pissed either, but I think it would be better for their happiness if they simply gave these people the benefit of the doubt. If the fan confirms that he's actually racist, beat his bigoted ass to a pulp for all I care.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

t_wrex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:41 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm

Lol.

I've never posted anything about women telling me my penis is too small. You got me mixed up with someone.
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

I AGREE with this. You're proving my point.

Dude was probably someone that lives a sheltered life. And as dumb as he was, you would have to be 1000x MORE dumb to yell racist shit on purpose. In public. It can ruin your life, it can go viral, you can lose your job, etc.

Sheltered doesnt equal racist.

People need to calm down and start giving people the benefit of the doubt. All you have to do is say "hey man that's actually racist calling a black man 'boy' it's what everyone called us back in the days when we didn't have any rights" and the dude woulda been like "oh shit, I didn't realize that, I call everyone boy, I didn't realize that, I'm sorry.".

Personally I always hated being called a whiteboy, I don't like the term at all because I'm a white man. It's belittling. Than again, I also know that people who call me that aren't implying that they hate me because I'm white, so I get the fuck over it.

Kids unintentionally say racist shit all the time. Doesn't mean they're racist, they just got some etiquette to learn and unfortunately they usually have to learn the hard way.

Acting like someone died over this and banning people for life isn't the solution. It actually causes MORE racism and creates MORE distance and MORE eggshells and gives black people LESS opportunities.

I don't fault Griffin and Westbrook for getting pissed either, but I think it would be better for their happiness if they simply gave these people the benefit of the doubt. If the fan confirms that he's actually racist, beat his bigoted ass to a pulp for all I care.
I'm only going to reply to this piece, because it SOUNDS like were agreeing on the rest that the guy went over a line, and you're simply saying it's possible he didn't know the line existed. OK.

From what I read/heard on both situations, the fans didn't JUST say the racist part that got the reaction, they were over the line multiple times, and ignored multiple times. It's once that built up AND then they said racist shit that the reactions came out and they reacted obviously visibly and audibly upset.

There has to be a line somewhere. You can't treat these guys like circus animals just because they provide their sports associations millions of dollars in revenue and therefore get paid a % of that. They are still people, and more than likely have some pretty thick skin from the shit they hear on a nightly basis.
Spoiler:
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

thinktank wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:34 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Excellent post.

Anyone who engages in practicing a racist behavior is being racist.
This is some Salem witch trial mentality.

"Engages in practicing a racist behavior".

The guy probably doesn't know a lot of black people, calls his white friends boy, and because he treats white and black people EQUALLY, figured it would be no thing. Isn't that what equality is?

Again, it is racist to call black people boy, I agree.

My argument is whether the guy who said it hates black people. If he doesn't you can correct his actions and not label him a racist and ruin his life over this lack of awareness.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

t_wrex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pmThe guy probably doesn't know a lot of black people, calls his white friends boy, and because he treats white and black people EQUALLY, figured it would be no thing. Isn't that what equality is?
First off, I like all of your assumptions. Good stuff.

Second, no, equality takes context into account. Equality IS NOT literally the same treatment for everyone. Why not? Because words mean different things to different audiences, for example. This is the same reason why the “I don’t see color” argument is a fallacy.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm Multi-millionaire can't handle someone calling him boy. I've had black people say 100 times worse to me. Grow the fuck up.
Nobody should be forced to "handle" someone calling him a disgusting racial pejorative in his workplace.

You apparently think blacks should "grow up" and say nothing when called racist slurs because you've been called names by blacks? Do you understand how fucking idiotic that sounds?
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

thinktank wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:58 pm
t_wrex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pmThe guy probably doesn't know a lot of black people, calls his white friends boy, and because he treats white and black people EQUALLY, figured it would be no thing. Isn't that what equality is?

Second, no, equality takes context into account. Equality IS NOT literally the same thing for everyone.
I concede.

I just feel like hypersensitivity causes a discomfort between the races. I have a few black friends but the black friends I choose to have are not obsessed with race. I can be myself around them. Whenever Im hanging out with a race-obsessed black guy I feel like I have to be fake in order to get along with them. I find myself worried that I might accidentally say something that can be twisted as racist, now he hates me, tells everyone else I'm racist, all that shit.

Like I can call my white and black friends stupid. It's fun. If I'm with someone with their racism antennas up, not a chance.

I had a black girlfriend for a couple years. We never once talked about race.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

t_wrex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Second, no, equality takes context into account. Equality IS NOT literally the same thing for everyone.
I concede.

I just feel like hypersensitivity causes a discomfort between the races. I have a few black friends but the black friends I choose to have are not obsessed with race. I can be myself around them. Whenever Im hanging out with a race-obsessed black guy I feel like I have to be fake in order to get along with them. I find myself worried that I might accidentally say something that can be twisted as racist, now he hates me, tells everyone else I'm racist, all that shit.

Like I can call my white and black friends stupid. It's fun. If I'm with someone with their racism antennas up, not a chance.

I don't buy it.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

"I'm not racist, I have black friends."

Classic.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:08 pm
Nobody should be forced to "handle" someone calling him a disgusting racial pejorative in his workplace.

You apparently think blacks should "grow up" and say nothing when called racist slurs because you've been called names by blacks? Do you understand how fucking idiotic that sounds?
I side with dd here.
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:12 pm

I concede.

I don't buy it.
Why is that?
You think all black people feel the need to talk about race?
Are you racist?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

thinktank wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm
What have you been called by black people and why I it worse?

Examples please, you poor white privileged snowflake.
Owned
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:12 pm

I concede.

I don't buy it.
This is fake for sure.

I dated a Muslim classmate last year and we talked about race all the time
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:13 pm "I'm not racist, I have black friends."

Classic.
Unlike liberal soy boys, I don't have black friends just to make myself feel more multicultural and all that shit. My black friends are sucker-free, and if you knew more black people you would probably understand that some black people actually choose to enjoy their life and not get bent out of shape over overblown race shit.

Sorry to disappoint you.