Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Getting rid of the dead weight on this team.

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
MinnesotaDr

Getting rid of the dead weight on this team.

Post by MinnesotaDr »

This offseason will be key to getting rid of Gorgi and Wiggins any way possible. We may have to take a bad contract back but at this point we can find just about any bad contract will help our team more than these 2.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: Getting rid of the dead weight on this team.

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

MinnesotaDr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:27 pm This offseason will be key to getting rid of Gorgi and Wiggins any way possible. We may have to take a bad contract back but at this point we can find just about any bad contract will help our team more than these 2.
Both players will be on the team come October.
witljon

Post by witljon »

What are some bad contract ideas that will help our team more than Gorgui and Wiggins?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm What are some bad contract ideas that will help our team more than Gorgui and Wiggins?
Any and all.
Let's get Tropical
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

I’d like to see Saunders have Andrew come off the bench and see how he responds before we dump him. I have no idea why they haven’t ever tried that.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't see a situation where they both won't be here. we just need to play them as much time as they warrant, and fill the rest of the roster with productive players on good deals.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Wolves have had an ugly history of signing returning players to bad contracts. Going out on an internet limb here by contrasting this horrible practice to Brad Pitt (channeling Billy Beane...) stated paraphrasing "we can't get attached to these players because we'll have to trade/cut each player at some point." Danny Ainge does a great job of treating players like assets. I don't think the Wolves need to be as cut throat as the Celtics in moving players, but there is a tremendous room for improvement needed. Having one person be a HC/GM combo leads to getting "too personal" with players. Taylor sitting court side chatting up players also leads to things getting too personal. Wiggins is the perfect example. Taylor had too close of a relationship with Wiggins and Taylor signed him long term relying on that relationship way more than empirical evidence.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Paying to get rid of players is not how you build a team. Triple that when you have a skinflint owner. We have 2 choices luck and time. Maybe we get lucky and get a great rook or cheap FA that breaks out for small dollar. Maybe we get lucky and Wigs decides to turn it up. Maybe we get lucky and Gorgs gets a stretch of games to prove he's tradeable without paying more. And just face it. Wigs and Gorgs are not garbage. They are just not close to their cap number in terms of worth. If we are smart enough to use every pick we can get :lol: If we are smart enough to use our exceptions :lol: and those players are solid players on low deals then we just weather the storm until they pick it up or are valuable expirings :lol:

Glen Taylor being 12 feet under by then of course.
populousample

Post by populousample »

Well, they’ve left Wiggins out of the 19-20 ticket marketing so far...maybe that’s some foreshadowing
Last one I saw was KAT, Oki, and Rose
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

We don't really need to get rid of anyone until next off-season. This off-season is loaded with money and everyone is going to overpay for FAs, next year Teauge will be off the books for sure and by moving just Gorgi for a future pick (non-HS entry year) will create space in a year that won't be as competitive should we not sign anyone this year to a deal that exceeds the 19-20 season. That is the right thing to do. If we can shave some money and/or time of Wiggins while also not giving up an asset at that time we can have more space if needed. The target to make a push is the 20-21 season.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm We don't really need to get rid of anyone until next off-season. This off-season is loaded with money and everyone is going to overpay for FAs, next year Teauge will be off the books for sure and by moving just Gorgi for a future pick (non-HS entry year) will create space in a year that won't be as competitive should we not sign anyone this year to a deal that exceeds the 19-20 season. That is the right thing to do. If we can shave some money and/or time of Wiggins while also not giving up an asset at that time we can have more space if needed. The target to make a push is the 20-21 season.
Yeah, been saying for months this will be a great offseason to be no part of. But let's remember that we weren't part of the last idiot spending spree but then we went idiot right after re-signing Dieng early off of those stupid numbers.

I don't see next year as any sort of target for spending either. And of course I'm talking as if Taylor is finally gone and we are an actual organization. Nothing gets teams in more trouble than having money and feeling a crushing need to spend it. This is 75% of where bad contracts come from. (The rest come from nice smiles and looking a miser fool in the eye.) It's also where mismatched teams come from.

If you have money, and a need, and a player is available that fills that need, and he will sign with you, and it's not an overpay, then great. That's a lot of ands. If not your money is usually better used by selling it to other panic teams for picks.
j2j

Post by j2j »

We're finally moving the team to Seattle?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The only real hope for unloading the worst player in the league is for Toronto to strike out with Kawhi, and pretty much everyone else. Maybe then they'll gamble on bringing that slug home and trying to get something out of him.
Let's get Tropical
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:15 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm We don't really need to get rid of anyone until next off-season. This off-season is loaded with money and everyone is going to overpay for FAs, next year Teauge will be off the books for sure and by moving just Gorgi for a future pick (non-HS entry year) will create space in a year that won't be as competitive should we not sign anyone this year to a deal that exceeds the 19-20 season. That is the right thing to do. If we can shave some money and/or time of Wiggins while also not giving up an asset at that time we can have more space if needed. The target to make a push is the 20-21 season.
Yeah, been saying for months this will be a great offseason to be no part of. But let's remember that we weren't part of the last idiot spending spree but then we went idiot right after re-signing Dieng early off of those stupid numbers.

I don't see next year as any sort of target for spending either. And of course I'm talking as if Taylor is finally gone and we are an actual organization. Nothing gets teams in more trouble than having money and feeling a crushing need to spend it. This is 75% of where bad contracts come from. (The rest come from nice smiles and looking a miser fool in the eye.) It's also where mismatched teams come from.

If you have money, and a need, and a player is available that fills that need, and he will sign with you, and it's not an overpay, then great. That's a lot of ands. If not your money is usually better used by selling it to other panic teams for picks.
20-21 is the year to spend money, but with the caveat that it assumes we re-sign Saric (and don't make the same mistake we made with Dieng) If we trade Saric, then we have bought ourselves more time. If not, we have to spend it or we won't ever have it.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:57 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:15 pm

20-21 is the year to spend money, but with the caveat that it assumes we re-sign Saric (and don't make the same mistake we made with Dieng) If we trade Saric, then we have bought ourselves more time. If not, we have to spend it or we won't ever have it.
I personally want to use Saric at this draft to acquire another pick. Not a good fit defensively and don't think he'll ever be a good enough shooter to make up for it. If I wanted a player like him but better I'd try to get Naz Reid with that pick.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I am not a huge fan of Saric. If we could use him to help move Wiggins, I would be all for it.

Wiggins + Saric to Toronto for a bag of shit.

Who says no?
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 am I am not a huge fan of Saric. If we could use him to help move Wiggins, I would be all for it.

Who says no?
I do believe that if Kawhi leaves they would trade us Lowrey for Wigs. I wouldn't take it without another piece. As frustrating Wigs is he is just so close in terms of one less spin move TO, one less forced shot, 1 more rebound and suddenly he's a much more efficient, great rebounding, low TO 2 guard. Then you can actually get something for him if you think he's capped there.

As I always say about him. You have to think about him from the outside. You're another GM and you look at him like I just said and then factor in his 3 coaches and the worst organization in sports? Any signs of improvement and teams would be calling.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 am
Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 am I am not a huge fan of Saric. If we could use him to help move Wiggins, I would be all for it.

Who says no?
I do believe that if Kawhi leaves they would trade us Lowrey for Wigs. I wouldn't take it without another piece. As frustrating Wigs is he is just so close in terms of one less spin move TO, one less forced shot, 1 more rebound and suddenly he's a much more efficient, great rebounding, low TO 2 guard. Then you can actually get something for him if you think he's capped there.

As I always say about him. You have to think about him from the outside. You're another GM and you look at him like I just said and then factor in his 3 coaches and the worst organization in sports? Any signs of improvement and teams would be calling.
I'm not a fan of Lowry, 32 years old and making 33mil the next 2 years.. but I'd do Wigs for Kyle in a heart beat..

Lowry
Okogie
Roco
Zion
KAT

Let's play :beer:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

gorgs contract is the bad thing about gorgs. but as a backup center, you can certainly do worse. i think the only thing preventing teams from inquiring about him is the money. as a player, there are probably interested teams. in the last 5 games, gorgs has logged a total of only 37 mins - and in that time, (consider it just a hair over a per 36) he was 9 for 15 from the floor for 30 pts, 11 rebounds, 3 steals and 4 blocks. it's not like the wheels come off our bus at the center spot when he's on the court. we've got bigger problems.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:32 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 am

Who says no?

I'm not a fan of Lowry, 32 years old and making 33mil the next 2 years.. but I'd do Wigs for Kyle in a heart beat..

Lowry
Okogie
Roco
Zion
KAT

Let's play :beer:
When I'm talking Lowrey it's in a salary dump of Wigs. Not that he's not good but we wouldn't re-sign him. It's why I'm not in favor of a move right now. Just believe that Wigs is inches away from rehabbing his rep enough to get an actual return.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 am gorgs contract is the bad thing about gorgs. but as a backup center, you can certainly do worse. i think the only thing preventing teams from inquiring about him is the money. as a player, there are probably interested teams. in the last 5 games, gorgs has logged a total of only 37 mins - and in that time, (consider it just a hair over a per 36) he was 9 for 15 from the floor for 30 pts, 11 rebounds, 3 steals and 4 blocks. it's not like the wheels come off our bus at the center spot when he's on the court. we've got bigger problems.
It's why I always say it's not an albatross of a deal. If we played him we would get value. If we were hell bent on moving him we aren't getting full salary dump for nothing but we could probably get 15 decent players like him at a different position from teams that stacked a spot in front of a guy they paid too much.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:06 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 am gorgs contract is the bad thing about gorgs. but as a backup center, you can certainly do worse. i think the only thing preventing teams from inquiring about him is the money. as a player, there are probably interested teams. in the last 5 games, gorgs has logged a total of only 37 mins - and in that time, (consider it just a hair over a per 36) he was 9 for 15 from the floor for 30 pts, 11 rebounds, 3 steals and 4 blocks. it's not like the wheels come off our bus at the center spot when he's on the court. we've got bigger problems.
It's why I always say it's not an albatross of a deal. If we played him we would get value. If we were hell bent on moving him we aren't getting full salary dump for nothing but we could probably get 15 decent players like him at a different position from teams that stacked a spot in front of a guy they paid too much.
it's always three things - the money, the PT and the play. with gorgs we get steady play in minor minutes for $16M a year. with teague and wiggins, it's wildly unspectacular play in major minutes to the tune of $43M a year. one of these seems a lot worse than the other.
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

I have no problem with Kyle Lowry. At least he’ll produce night in/out. Wiggins is just alive and on the court. Such a waste.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Decker23 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:39 pm I’d like to see Saunders have Andrew come off the bench and see how he responds before we dump him. I have no idea why they haven’t ever tried that.
I would love this. Maybe he'll show more effort if he can work hard in spurts.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
witljon

Post by witljon »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:15 pm
witljon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm What are some bad contract ideas that will help our team more than Gorgui and Wiggins?
Any and All.
Who do they play for?
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

salamander wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am
Decker23 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:39 pm I’d like to see Saunders have Andrew come off the bench and see how he responds before we dump him. I have no idea why they haven’t ever tried that.
I don't think Ryan has the balls to bench him. Any baller knows coming off the bench isn't a bad thing.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Decker23 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 am
salamander wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am
I don't think Ryan has the balls to bench him. Any baller knows coming off the bench isn't a bad thing.
Any baller knows? Thanks for the info 1970. Not true at all now.

No Saunders will not risk his sure thing rehire to bench Taylor's smiling good pal. But obviously if Covington was playing he deserved it.