Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

When Jeff Teague goes haywire

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Moses Scurry

When Jeff Teague goes haywire

Post by Moses Scurry »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2626 ... rd-scoring

I'm not sure what happened to Teague in Minnesota, but something in his point guard circuitry went haywire. Maybe he just got a little older. Maybe coaching and roster chaos -- plus a plodding offense that lacked the flowing beauty of his prime Atlanta years -- sapped his rhythm and confidence.

There are long stretches when he barely looks at the rim:

Passing up opens 3s isn't a crime; Teague is an average 3-point shooter. It is often smart to turn down open 3s, call for a second screen, and slither through the crevices that open. It is not smart when you do this:

Teague declines a 3, ignores a wide-open Dario Saric -- shooting 39 percent from deep in Minnesota even though he hasn't quite clicked all the way yet -- and flings up whatever the hell this is.

Teague is on pace for his best assist season. But he's also posting his worst shooting numbers since his rookie year, and there are an astonishing number of games where you barely notice him beyond a few head-scratching decisions.

Saric and Towns make for a snug fit, and every team needs someone like Covington. Jones is a nice backup, though his status as an analytics darling has inflated his reputation. Josh Okogie and Keita Bates-Diop have the vague outlines of solid role players.

But Teague has outlived his usefulness to the franchise, and Andrew Wiggins somehow gets a little worse every season.

For all the losing and angst, how much of long-term import does Minnesota have beyond Towns?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Re: When Jeff Teague goes haywire

Post by jodaman01 »

Yes and people here promised he was the answer over Rubio.

The Rubio or Teague debate is completely and utterly over.

Rubio was the better PG for this team.

Thanks Thibbs for locking in and overpaying Teague.

Hate Kahn all you want (he earned it), but Thibbs has surpassed him as the worst person with organizational influence ever for the MN Timberwolves.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

RT @Tashville401: Worst possession of basketball I've seen all night would be this Jeff Teague masterpiece
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:01 pm http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2626 ... rd-scoring

I'm not sure what happened to Teague in Minnesota, but something in his point guard circuitry went haywire. Maybe he just got a little older. Maybe coaching and roster chaos -- plus a plodding offense that lacked the flowing beauty of his prime Atlanta years -- sapped his rhythm and confidence.

There are long stretches when he barely looks at the rim:

Passing up opens 3s isn't a crime; Teague is an average 3-point shooter. It is often smart to turn down open 3s, call for a second screen, and slither through the crevices that open. It is not smart when you do this:

Teague declines a 3, ignores a wide-open Dario Saric -- shooting 39 percent from deep in Minnesota even though he hasn't quite clicked all the way yet -- and flings up whatever the hell this is.

Teague is on pace for his best assist season. But he's also posting his worst shooting numbers since his rookie year, and there are an astonishing number of games where you barely notice him beyond a few head-scratching decisions.

Saric and Towns make for a snug fit, and every team needs someone like Covington. Jones is a nice backup, though his status as an analytics darling has inflated his reputation. Josh Okogie and Keita Bates-Diop have the vague outlines of solid role players.

But Teague has outlived his usefulness to the franchise, and Andrew Wiggins somehow gets a little worse every season.

For all the losing and angst, how much of long-term import does Minnesota have beyond Towns?
Playing for the Timberwolves seems to bring the worst out in guy's.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:19 am Yes and people here promised he was the answer over Rubio.

The Rubio or Teague debate is completely and utterly over.

Rubio was the better PG for this team.

Thanks Thibbs for locking in and overpaying Teague.

Hate Kahn all you want (he earned it), but Thibbs has surpassed him as the worst person with organizational influence ever for the MN Timberwolves.
Jesus. Who the FUCK cares?!? Rubio doesn't move the needle at all for this team.

They are still utter garbage if you swapped Rubio with Teague. Who would make them less garbage? Now that's debatable.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

It is true that most here were happy with the Teague pickup!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 pm It is true that most here were happy with the Teague pickup!
No. it was about a 50/50 split. Many would rather have kept Rubio. Tube is right in his assessment though, that neither really do/would do much for this team.

My preference would be Ricky, just because of the defense, tenacity and heart. Teagues got none of that.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 pm It is true that most here were happy with the Teague pickup!
No. it was about a 50/50 split. Many would rather have kept Rubio. Tube is right in his assessment though, that neither really do/would do much for this team.

My preference would be Ricky, just because of the defense, tenacity and heart. Teagues got none of that.
I'm not going to go back and look, but I'd say at least 75 percent were in favor of it. I don't know enuf about hoops to have made an opinion at the time, but it appeared that Ricky just wasn't getting any better and having a faster paced PG who could score made sense to me. I guess the answer is that neither PG was the answer....and certainly Tyus isn't either.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm not going to go back and look, but I'd say at least 75 percent were in favor of it. I don't know enuf about hoops to have made an opinion at the time, but it appeared that Ricky just wasn't getting any better and having a faster paced PG who could score made sense to me. I guess the answer is that neither PG was the answer....and certainly Tyus isn't either.
It may have seemed that way, because when your favorite team makes a move, the majority of fans will try to take a positive angle.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Wiggins is a far bigger problem.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:20 pm Wiggins is a far bigger problem.
Clearly a fan that has absolutely no clue of the importance of the PG position. Sad.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

LOL Most people were pretty indifferent to Teague but leave it to Jodaman to create a narrative out of thin air.
jodaman01 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:48 pm
Clearly a fan that has absolutely no clue of the importance of the PG position. Sad.
You understand that most good wings share point guard duties these days, right? I mean, Wiggins doesn't because he sucks but there we have it.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 pm LOL Most people were pretty indifferent to Teague but leave it to Jodaman to create a narrative out of thin air.
You understand that most good wings share point guard duties these days, right? I mean, Wiggins doesn't because he sucks but there we have it.
Indifferent my ass....nice try.

I will take this as your defense of Teague for what was likely your dumb support of him..

Good Job! :lol:
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

And you clearly have no clue on how much Wiggins damages this team
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 am
zeitgeist wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 pm LOL Most people were pretty indifferent to Teague but leave it to Jodaman to create a narrative out of thin air.

Indifferent my ass....nice try.

I will take this as your defense of Teague for what was likely your dumb support of him..

Good Job! :lol:
Did I support Teague OVER Rubio, yes. Was I largely indifferent to him as a player? Yes. There were several other point guards that we could have potentially had that would have been better but they cost a lot more money. Plenty of Jazz fans are wavering in their support of Rubio now too because as knowledgeable Wolves fans know, it is very difficult to build a good team around a point guard that is so awful off the ball. This actually plays right into what I was just talking about with wings sharing point guard duties.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Rubio with a 2-13 shooting game last night. Seriously people, set the bar higher that Rubio or Teague.
witljon

Post by witljon »

kilkenny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 am Rubio with a 2-13 shooting game last night. Seriously people, set the bar higher that Rubio or Teague.
I think they're just being realistic.

Are there some better names out there for us to possibly get?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

kilkenny wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 am Rubio with a 2-13 shooting game last night. Seriously people, set the bar higher that Rubio or Teague.
The bar was set higher prior to pissing away money and locking in Jeff fucking Teague.

The Wolves knew what they needed, the fans knew what they needed, Thibbs knew what they needed to replace Rubio, he had a full season to figure it out.

He/we got Jeff Teague, and so many cheered and explained why it was the best move possible and ate and spewed that shit like manna from heaven.

Minimize it all you want and equate the two, even though clearly Rubio was the better option for this Team. This is what was/has been a long running serious debate here being a lopsided win looks like.

SMH
witljon

Post by witljon »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 am
The bar was set higher prior to pissing away money and locking in Jeff fucking Teague.
I believe the thinking was we were getting an all-star level Teague and Butler to pair with potential stars Towns and Wiggins. But now it looks like we went 1 for 4. :(
witljon

Post by witljon »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 am
I believe the thinking was we were getting an all-star level Teague and Butler to pair with potential stars Towns and Wiggins. But now it looks like we went 1 for 4. :(
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

I was wrong thinking Teague would be a better player for the Wolves than Rubio was. I'm happy we have Obi Wan though!!!!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

If a guy opts in, I wonder how quickly you can trade him or if there is any restriction. Nice expiring contract if he opts in.