Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ryan Saunders Leading Candidate for HC

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Are you Happy with Ryan as HC?

Yes, he has a great player coach relations
43%
No, he is unproven & makes mistakes
23%
Still need to see more
33%

Total votes: 30

UnFadeable21

Ryan Saunders Leading Candidate for HC

Post by UnFadeable21 »

In a telephone interview with Sports Headliners, Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor made his feelings known about interim head coach Ryan Saunders.

Is the 32-year-old who took over for Tom Thibodeau in early January a strong candidate to have the job on a permanent basis after this season ends? “Certainly,” answered Taylor.

So there’s a good chance Saunders becomes the head coach this spring?

“I think that’s fair,” Taylor said. “He is sure the leading candidate at this point because we haven’t talked to anybody (else). I am not sure (if others will be interviewed); we’ll see how that ends up at the end of the year, but I certainly want to give him every opportunity we can.”

Saunders’ record as interim coach is 12-14 going into tonight’s home game against the Knicks. While the record is under .500 and the team is a long shot to make the playoffs, Taylor takes an understanding view toward Saunders.

Injuries have characterized this season for the Wolves, and Taylor pointed out since Saunders has been directing the team there has yet to be a game when his five preferred starters were all available. Even now elite defender and forward Robert Covington isn’t recovered from a knee injury and last night the team’s Western Conference All-Star Karl-Anthony Towns couldn’t finish the game because of a knee problem.

The team’s struggles include a leaky defense. In each of the last six games Minnesota has given up 120 points or more, with opponents four times scoring 130 or more. Taylor believes an offseason and training camp with more teaching time would allow Saunders to achieve better defensive results next season.

“I think that Ryan has been working…to change (improve) the defense but I am realistic in that he probably needs…a summer program to change things,” Taylor said. “I talked to him about it.”

Taylor describes himself as “encouraged” by Saunders’ job performance. Things that have made an impression on the owner include play calls, ball movement, pace of play and communications.

Saunders’ father Flip, who died in 2015, is the winningest coach in Wolves franchise history. The communications skills of both father and son are evident to Taylor. “I just think that’s very important,” Taylor said. “He (Ryan) is open to ideas and trying things. I already see that in our talks…similar with Flip.

“Before a game started I used to talk to Flip about what are you going to do against this team? Flip had a plan and he could share it with you.”

Ryan is the youngest head coach in the NBA in 40 years. He refers to the owner as “Mr. Taylor.” Yet Saunders seems to have the respect of his players and certainly that of the owner. Much of that has to do with 10 years of NBA experience previously as an assistant coach, and growing up as the son of a successful and intense basketball father.

“He’s just got a great basketball mind,” Taylor said of Ryan. “He learned a lot from his dad.”

Taylor was fond of Flip and has known Ryan for a long time. The personal feelings of Taylor are evident toward Saunders who has never been a head coach before.

“…I am hopeful that it all works out for Ryan because I like him as a person particularly, and I want all our people (in the organization) to be successful,” Taylor said.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: Ryan Saunders Leading Candidate for HC

Post by UnFadeable21 »

If Ryan gets the job, I expect Hoiberg in as Gm
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

99% Saunders is returning. Glen isn't going to pay a lot of money when he still owes Thibs a lot.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Lol. Knew it with Thibs still being payed.

This is a lotto team again next year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Oh shit, Milt might be coming back!

We might be on the verge of a CC not seen before.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

I'm fine with him being the coach next year and I think he's done a good job/players like him.

What is unacceptable is Glen making the call.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

OliverMiller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm I'm fine with him being the coach next year and I think he's done a good job/players like him.

That's the problem imo. He has too much of a relationship with guy's like Wiggins etc..

Be ready for a summer of "Wiggins is working hard everyday" playing 40 a night and a 35 game winner.

#ThisIsYour2019Wolves
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Dude, Calvin Booth was here too. Great, interesting face.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Honestly, happy with how Saunders as handled a bit if a rocky stretch. I'm sold. Bring him on board.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:56 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:49 pm I'm fine with him being the coach next year and I think he's done a good job/players like him.

That's the problem imo. He has too much of a relationship with guy's like Wiggins etc..

Be ready for a summer of "Wiggins is working hard everyday" playing 40 a night and a 35 game winner.

#ThisIsYour2019Wolves
In Ryan's defense he has talked about what he's been trying to do (long twos negative points) and passively taken a few shots at him. He is obviously is really friendly with everyone but he has called out Wiggins.

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

YBBR wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:02 pm Honestly, happy with how Saunders as handled a bit if a rocky stretch. I'm sold. Bring him on board.
Same. He sure as hell got the chance to be in this position because of nepotism but considering what he was handed when he took over I think he's done a good job.

Not my #1 choice but I'd support it

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Saunders has been fine, considering the side was riddled with injuries since he took over.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm If Ryan gets the job, I expect Hoiberg in as Gm
I thought he said he wants a coaching job, not a front office job?
Southpaw23

Post by Southpaw23 »

Doesn’t Ryan Saunders tell you that a warm body can coach mediocre teams to mediocre records?
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Can we call Adelman and have him come in and advise Ryan. KAT would go for 50/20 a night with Adelman as HC.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Doogie says Ryan’s contract would be a 3 year 4 million total.

Discount hire while paying off Thibs and Layden
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:34 pm Doogie says two Gm candidates: Milt Newton who is the Bucks assistant GM and was the GM here when Sam Mitchell was the coach.

Calvin Booth, former player and was a scout here.

Chauncey Billups is not interested in this job as he wants to hire his own coach and that coach is Tyrann Lue.
Booth gets my vote. Was in the concession line at summer league behind Booth and he was so mystified that I knew who he was.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Chauncey Billups doesn’t want the wolves job and want to hire Ty Lue as his coach.

Puke, see ya Billups
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 pm

#ThisIsYour2019Wolves
In Ryan's defense he has talked about what he's been trying to do (long twos negative points) and passively taken a few shots at him. He is obviously is really friendly with everyone but he has called out Wiggins.
Didn't Wiggins respond to that by essentially saying if it's open he's gonna take it? Well it's open because everyone knows he can't hit it,and someone over the last few years he became scared of contact. Any side by side pics of him as a rookie and now? It seems like he hasn't gotten any stronger at all
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Cripes wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:31 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm If Ryan gets the job, I expect Hoiberg in as Gm
I thought he said he wants a coaching job, not a front office job?
Yea he said he would prefer to coach but if the right front office job came, he would consider it.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

This organization does everything ass backwards. I have no idea if Saunders is the guy or not, but your POBO should decide whom he wants. The Wolves are a laughingstock franchise, and Glen Taylor is the #1 reason for that.
ItsGameOvrMan

Post by ItsGameOvrMan »

Unless you can get a hall of fame type coach, I'd give Saunders a shot.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

swenjj wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm

#ThisIsYour2019Wolves
Didn't Wiggins respond to that by essentially saying if it's open he's gonna take it? Well it's open because everyone knows he can't hit it,and someone over the last few years he became scared of contact. Any side by side pics of him as a rookie and now? It seems like he hasn't gotten any stronger at all
5 years into the league and andrew is sporting basically the same body he had as a high school senior.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 pm This organization does everything ass backwards. I have no idea if Saunders is the guy or not, but your POBO should decide whom he wants. The Wolves are a laughingstock franchise, and Glen Taylor is the #1 reason for that.
it would be interesting to see what the process is, or more likely, if there is one. who here thinks that glen has a good handle on who all the potential HC candidates could be? i think it's very possible that saunders really does his home work, and has picked up a lot of ideas over the years, he could have the makings for being a really fine coach - i don't care if he's young. but, of course, the bigger question is this: is there a better option for this team? i don't think there's probably any coherent system within this org for finding that out.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 pm This organization does everything ass backwards. I have no idea if Saunders is the guy or not, but your POBO should decide whom he wants. The Wolves are a laughingstock franchise, and Glen Taylor is the #1 reason for that.
it would be interesting to see what the process is, or more likely, if there is one. who here thinks that glen has a good handle on who all the potential HC candidates could be?
Zero chance! ZERO! So frustrating!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 pm
it would be interesting to see what the process is, or more likely, if there is one. who here thinks that glen has a good handle on who all the potential HC candidates could be? i think it's very possible that saunders really does his home work, and has picked up a lot of ideas over the years, he could have the makings for being a really fine coach - i don't care if he's young. but, of course, the bigger question is this: is there a better option for this team? i don't think there's probably any coherent system within this org for finding that out.
I doubt there is a serious process for General Manager or coach. Glen Taylor seems to want Ryan Saunders because he’s relatively cheap, and if you go by the GM candidates named thus far, that cheapness seems to be the case there too. As I said before, I have no idea how good of a coach Ryan is. I love that he gets along with players well and wants to accentuate their strengths, I don’t love how little effort is given on defense, and that the Wolves still don’t take enough 3’s even though Saunders said that would change under his leadership. But this really isn’t even about Saunders, it’s about Glen Taylor and the stamp he wants to leave on this organization. And that stamp continually is futility and thrift, with little real process to get the best.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:34 pm Doogie says Ryan’s contract would be a 3 year 4 million total.

Discount hire while paying off Thibs and Layden
Cripes. Why would you give him 3 year's?! Plus Glen is cheap and it's a country club members kid, he will never fire him early.

This should be a 1 year deal imo.

My heart goes out to you, Kat.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:36 pm
swenjj wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm

5 years into the league and andrew is sporting basically the same body he had as a high school senior.
This Andrew should be bigger by now. We need him to bulk up. He looks too undersized.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it's the core of a lot of his problems. when he drives the lane, he gets stripped - too weak to fight thru. so he half heartedly starts a drive but then - nearly always - pulls up for the dreaded long two. he shows some grit and goes into a scrum for a loose ball - gets loose ball - but then has it taken away from him because of a strength mismatch - too weak to fight thru. so he avoids scrums. he tries to box out underneath for rebounds, but can't hold his position and loses the battle. too weak to hold position - he loses interest in rebounding. he's guarding a bigger, stronger wing who just blows thru him for points. he loses interest in D.

there are clear motivation issues with andrew, but so much of what's wrong with him could be helped by adding 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. IMO the team should have the power to tie andrew to a nutrition/strength program and an intense ballhandling drill regimen EVERY day of the offseason. he's being paid a shitload of money in return for a substandard product. they own his time. the team has every right to do what they can to get better value out of their investment.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I'd take David Adelman over Ryan. Or Gene Hackman. Hoosiers or Replacements version.

Honestly, in today's NBA, are coaches even necessary? Dribble, dribble, dribble, chuck. Don't play D. Repeat. Make these dudes manage themselves and be accountable.