Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NBA proposes making draft age 18!

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: NBA proposes making draft age 18!

Post by SO_MONEY »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:14 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:07 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Well yeah. When highschool players could declare eligible, they were much shorter in numbers compared to college players, so the rate of highschool busts is going to be a lot less. Also, where is this idea that "there are going to be a ton of HS busts relative to college talent," coming from? I havent seen that argument. Of course there's going to be a lot more college busts (individually and percentage wise) , because the number of college players entering the draft is exponentially higher than highschool players. Your'e always going to get 3rd/4th year college players like Robbie Hummel of the world every year who are just going to give the draft a chance to see what happens. Difference with those guys, is that they got a college education for free, and in case they bust, they have that to fall back on.

I'm not opposed to the special kids like Zion declaring eligible after highschool...but, how do you regulate that?

I would be very happy if the NBA took the kind of approach the NHL has toward their draft. NHL teams can draft kids, and maintain their rights, even if the kid chooses to go to college. Now the instant money might not be there, but there is a thing called insurance that kids can take. Under these circumstances, say a kid like Zion declares for the draft, gets drafted top 5, but then decides to go to college for however long, and has some career threatening injury...if he opted for insurance, he would get paid on the scale of a top 5 pick, whether or not he ever plays an NBA game.
The number of entrants does not affect the percentage for the rate of success. The historic trend is HS players succeed at a far greater rate, period. There is nothing more to say about it and it has nothing to do with the quantity, it has to do with the quality.
The percentage is effected for numerous reasons. #1 being what I pointed out, in college players who have no future in the NBA declaring eligible, just because they can, and they want to earn at least a few years of NBA money.

If more highschool players declared eligible than college players, do you really think the percentage would not be effected?
There are only two rounds worth of picks, I am speaking to those who are picked college or HS. The percentage is the percentage, those good enough to get picked do, those not good enough to get picked do not. From those who are good enough to get pick HS talent has been successful at a higher rate than college players. There is no way around that. Period.
bubu dubu.

Re: NBA proposes making draft age 18!

Post by bubu dubu. »

I have no idea how, but I got to wondering about Darius Miles and Kwame Brown tonight, then stumbled across this players tribune article from Darius...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... rius-miles

Love this quote in it....
They messed around and gave us millions of dollars and put us in Los Angeles, of all places.
I mean, I’m from East St Louis.

Q is from the Wild Hunneds.

My momma drove a school bus.

Q’s daddy drove the L Train.

Now we’re sitting on the PJ, bro? We made it.
Its the story of a lot of prep to pro athletes...same can be said about a lot of the one and dones. I'm not opposed to kids wanting to go pro straight out of HS, or even the one and dones, but I think there needs to be some parameters set...I mentioned earlier how the NHL can draft kids, and those kids can still stay in college. That would be a good parameter...of course theres the concern of injury, to which I propose insurance on a potential NBA career, where a kid will be paid by the insurer on the rookie contract for the slot he was selected.

Article goes on for a bit about some immature shit that he and Quentin RIchardson did their rookie year...then, this quote...

That was the old NBA. That was before they wised up.

That don’t exist anymore.
This is straight from the mouth of a guy who lived that mistake of entering way too early, and was a top 3 pick.