Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**** Official Houston Rockets (33-23) vs. MN Timberwolves (26-30) *****

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
kilkenny

Re: **** Official Houston Rockets (33-23) vs. MN Timberwolves (26-30) *****

Post by kilkenny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm
Lightning wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm It’s weird to sing the defensive praises of a player who’s man dropped 42 points, but welcome to the NBA in 2019, I guess.
yeah, he was the only one guarding him all night, kee-fucking-rist .
Oh, stop. He guarded him plenty. Okogie played him great a lot, but Harden is the best offensive player in the game now. You can play him great and he can still score. Harden took it to him a number of times. That's not a slight on Okogie at all. It's how the game is now. The way the game is called now, there's no way to defend a guy like Harden for 48 minutes.
Yeah, lost in the 42 points is it took him 34 shots to get it. If it were 26 or so then yeah, but 34 shots! Great defense on Harden imo.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

AnokaCountyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 am harden scores 40 pts on 34 shots, hes the greatest scorer ever.
wiggins scores 30 on 20 shots, omg hes the worst in the league

wolves fans.
WTF? :lol:
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

AnokaCountyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 am harden scores 40 pts on 34 shots, hes the greatest scorer ever.
wiggins scores 30 on 20 shots, omg hes the worst in the league

wolves fans.
how about when wiggins had 0 pts on 12 shots?
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Marney doing play-by-play and the Purple jerseys is my my favorite TV broadcast set up combination.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

kilkenny wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm
Lightning wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm
yeah, he was the only one guarding him all night, kee-fucking-rist .
Oh, stop. He guarded him plenty. Okogie played him great a lot, but Harden is the best offensive player in the game now. You can play him great and he can still score. Harden took it to him a number of times. That's not a slight on Okogie at all. It's how the game is now. The way the game is called now, there's no way to defend a guy like Harden for 48 minutes.
Yeah, lost in the 42 points is it took him 34 shots to get it. If it were 26 or so then yeah, but 34 shots! Great defense on Harden imo.
Agreed. He did as well as you can do playing harden. He’s going to get his. Keep him off the line (4fta!) and make him shoot over you.

There are no lock down defenders anymore. It’s out of the game. That’s why saying someone played great D when his man goes for 42 is weird, but here we are. NBA in 2019.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

First game I have enjoyed watching all year. Get back RoCo!

If you buy a jersey and it's not Okogie you should be committed. Future star.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:57 pm First game I have enjoyed watching all year. Get back RoCo!

He needs to fix his shot before he can achive star status. He's a 36% shooter and 26% from beyond the arc. You cannot be a star in this league shooting like that, no matter how good you are on defense.

Fortunately, shooting is the easiest thing to get better at.

Unfortunately, where have we heard that before!

If he gets his shot up to respectable numbers (especially the 3), then he has a brilliant career as a high-quality and coveted super role-player (like Covington) ahead of him. A modern-day Bruce Bowen (and not a bitch). If not, he has a good journeyman career as likely a depth guy on rosters. But he absolutely will at least stick in this league and will at least get a second contract.

For the record, Ricky Rubio shot about 36% from the floor his rookie year (a few tenths of a percent behind where Josh is now), but was 34% from 3. And the premium on shooting has only increased since 2011. I mean, his position is shooting guard, right? His offensive rating is a mere 96. The good news is he was a 38% shooter from the arc in college, so there's hope that given a year or two to adjust to the longer range, he can be a competent NBA 3pt shooter. And that's what he needs to be. Competent. Not elite.

At this point in his career, Okogie is a net negative offensive player. But like I said, it's just about shooting. His TS% is an abysmal .471! (That's lower than all but one of RR's seasons!) He doesn't have to be a creator. And shooting can improve, but as we saw with Ricky, it's not a given that it will improve. I like the kid too and am rooting for him (very likable and easy to root for), but let's see it play out before we crown his ass!

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:57 pm First game I have enjoyed watching all year. Get back RoCo!

He needs to fix his shot before he can achive star status. He's a 36% shooter and 26% from beyond the arc. You cannot be a star in this league shooting like that, no matter how good you are on defense.

If he gets his shot up to respectable numbers (especially the 3), then he has a brilliant career as a high-quality and coveted super role-player (like Covington) ahead of him. A modern-day Bruce Bowen (and not a bitch). If not, he has a good journeyman career as likely a depth guy on rosters. But he absolutely will at least stick in this league and will at least get a second contract.

For the record, Ricky Rubio shot about 36% from the floor his rookie year (a few tenths of a percent behind where Josh is now), but was 34% from 3. And the premium on shooting has only increased since 2011. I mean, his position is shooting guard, right? His offensive rating is a mere 96. The good news is he was a 38% shooter from the arc in college, so there's hope that given a year or two to adjust to the longer range, he can be a competent NBA 3pt shooter. And that's what he needs to be. Competent. Not elite.

At this point in his career, Okogie is a net negative offensive player. But like I said, it's just about shooting. His TS% is an abysmal .471! (That's lower than all but one of RR's seasons!) He doesn't have to be a creator. And shooting can improve, but as we saw with Ricky, it's not a given that it will improve. I like the kid too and am rooting for him (very likable and easy to root for), but let's see it play out before we crown his ass!
He's a raw rook who's playing time has been as inconsistent as possible. Shooting was always going to be the thing lagging but he has good form and hits his FT's which lets you know his shot isn't broken. And that will always be a far less important part of his game than crazy D and attacking the basket. Some guys just have that spark and that's him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:23 pm

He's a raw rook who's playing time has been as inconsistent as possible. Shooting was always going to be the thing lagging but he has good form and hits his FT's which lets you know his shot isn't broken. And that will always be a far less important part of his game than crazy D and attacking the basket. Some guys just have that spark and that's him.
I like him a lot. But shooting is becoming more and more important in today's modern NBA. I agree there's reason for optimism that he'll take that step. But he still has to take it. No guarantees in this game.

Shooting isn't always the last thing to develop and Ricky Rubio hit his FTs too. I know that their forms are wildly different and there's no reason to assume that he won't improve. I'm not assuming that. But it's also unwise to assume it will. He's got time and there aren't alarm bells going off just yet. But he's got to take that step. Most of us thought Rubio would improve. Most of us thought Wiggins would improve on his crazy shooting issues too (more shot selection with him than anything). That hasn't happened. So I guess I'm saying cautious optimism is the approach I'm taking.

He definitely has that "spark" as you say. But so did Corey Brewer. Brewer has had the nice journeyman career, mostly because of never developing a long-range shot. If Brewer was a 40% 3pt shooter, he'd have been a coveted player. But he's a 28% shooter from deep. So he's a journeyman.

- Carl Jung
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Okogie has a knack for coming through in just the right stints. Not necessarily in just clutch scenarios but he has been able to swing momentum with very timely plays or sequences of plays.

As much as I love me some Corey Brewer, he never quite was able to do that. I look at him as someone who currently is very Marcus Smart-esque when he is on the court. His motor just has a way of making things work out.

I don't mind Joah shooting at all. Make or miss those open shots he gets. He is a willing passer, but a fairly terrible one currently.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

YBBR wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:03 am Okogie has a knack for coming through in just the right stints. Not necessarily in just clutch scenarios but he has been able to swing momentum with very timely plays or sequences of plays.

As much as I love me some Corey Brewer, he never quite was able to do that. I look at him as someone who currently is very Marcus Smart-esque when he is on the court. His motor just has a way of making things work out.

I don't mind Joah shooting at all. Make or miss those open shots he gets. He is a willing passer, but a fairly terrible one currently.
Marcus Smart. I think that's the right comparison too. 6'4 wing who's thick and tough.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Regarding his shooting, I'm not too worried about it. He is a fairly good FT%, his form looks solid and he shot 38% from 3 in college.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:31 am

Regarding his shooting, I'm not too worried about it. He is a fairly good FT%, his form looks solid and he shot 38% from 3 in college.
I know...

- Carl Jung
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:51 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:31 am

I know...
It's too early for me :( :cry:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?