Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Start Tyus?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Is it Time to Start Tyus?

Yes; Best PG at running offense
52%
No, Teague and Rose is better
29%
Still need to see more
19%

Total votes: 21

UnFadeable21

Start Tyus?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Teague had 10 assist tonight but the flow of the team ran better with Tyus.

Can you really bench Teague who is getting paid 19 million this season and next for Tyus? Would it cause a locker rooms rift?
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: Start Tyus?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Tyus is kind of like Ricky. Not elite anymore but just such a team player and glue guy. Knows the spots to get his teammates easy buckets and can control the pace of the team and game.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm Teague had 10 assist tonight but the flow of the team ran better with Tyus.

Can you really bench Teague who is getting paid 19 million this season and next for Tyus? Would it cause a locker rooms rift?
Yes. You can reduce Teague's minutes but the fact he has always been a starter and making $19 million means he will never be benched for Tyus.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm Teague had 10 assist tonight but the flow of the team ran better with Tyus.

Teague looks to be hurt again, I doubt he will even be available for the next few games. At this point you need to consider giving him extended recovery time and tell him not to return until he is 100%. Rose takes 15 minutes off the bench (20 if he is playing well,) and Tyus takes the rest. When Teague is 100% (likely after the all star break,) you start to work him back into the starting lineup (10-20 minutes per game.) If we make the playoffs he will hopefully be useful, if not at least he will be healthier for next season. Either way, he cannot keep playing at less than 100% if he is going to keep playing like this.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Healthy Rose --> Tyus -----------> Teague ---> Bayless
witljon

Post by witljon »

I think their salaries have a little to do with it. Not a lot, but a little.

And when you play a low salary guy ahead of a high salary guy, pretty soon he wants big money too.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

This debate just shows that the Wolves need a good PG. No real right answer here. Rose is the most talented, but is made of glass. Tyus runs a smoother offense, but is limited talent wise. Teague is just a disappointment.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

jodadamus foretold this long ago....

Tyus Time is almost upon us.

As with Thibbs, as with Butler....it is now inevitable.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

We should have signed LeBron. That would have solved a lot of our problems.
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

beetlebum71 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am We should have signed LeBron. That would have solved a lot of our problems.
Dude, I agree.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

agree with having teague rehab till he's really ready to return, limiting rose's PT to 20 or under to help him stay healthy, and giving the lion's share in the meantime to tyus. only thing i disagree with is giving the scraps to bayless. i haven't seen anything out of him that leads me to think he's got a future with us. would rather give the other jared those scraps so we can at least see if he has anything we want. i like his build and attitude - he's got some muscled heft to him that we lack at PG, plus he always seems like one of the first guys off the bench cheering on his teammates.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Not hoping for an injury to anyone, but it would be nice if a contender lost their PG and we trade Teague to them.. Bos for example. I'd take a heavily protected first for him.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am Not hoping for an injury to anyone, but it would be nice if a contender lost their PG and we trade Teague to them.. Bos for example. I'd take a heavily protected first for him.
I probably would too, but ideally it would be great if Teague would just play up to his contract.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I don't need to see him start. Just give him more minutes. Eat some of Teague's and Rose's minutes. If Ryan wants to close the game with Tyus if he's rolling, all the better. He's a much steadier hand than all of our other points combined.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Tyus is a winning player. You put that dude on the court and good things happen for your team. That's been the long and short of it for 3 years of Wolves Tyus Jones.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

now that jj went down with a blown achilles, anyone like a teague for wes matthews swap? he goes into free agency this summer. it would balance things out a bit more thru the end of the year, plus give us some more space this summer assuming we don't resign him.

tyus/rose
wiggins/okogie
covington/matthews
saric/taj
kat/dieng
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 am now that jj went down with a blown achilles, anyone like a teague for wes matthews swap? he goes into free agency this summer. it would balance things out a bit more thru the end of the year, plus give us some more space this summer assuming we don't resign him.

tyus/rose
wiggins/okogie
covington/matthews
saric/taj
kat/dieng
Someone said it in the game thread I believe, but with all the injuries he's been dealing with this year it lessens the chance that he'd opt out.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 am now that jj went down with a blown achilles, anyone like a teague for wes matthews swap? he goes into free agency this summer. it would balance things out a bit more thru the end of the year, plus give us some more space this summer assuming we don't resign him.

tyus/rose
wiggins/okogie
covington/matthews
saric/taj
kat/dieng
Someone said it in the game thread I believe, but with all the injuries he's been dealing with this year it lessens the chance that he'd opt out.
If what appears to be a clear record now of missed games between this this season and last season, what team is going to offer him a multi-year deal that would entice him to opt out.

Correct Answer: None.

He is here next season and will be a bench player. Will have appeal as $19 million off the books the following season for us or another team.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am

tyus/rose
wiggins/okogie
covington/matthews
saric/taj
kat/dieng
If what appears to be a clear record now of missed games between this this season and last season, what team is going to offer him a multi-year deal that would entice him to opt out.

Correct Answer: None.

He is here next season and will be a bench player. Will have appeal as $19 million off the books the following season for us or another team.
just to clarify what i was saying - matthews is going into free agency this summer. we trade teague now and dallas can deal with the PO he's got going into next year. they may be okay with that because jj's career is likely over and they feel like they still need a good vet paired with smith for the growing pains smith is going thru.

the only wrinkle i think is that, even though matthews is a big part of their rotation (30 mpg) and is averaging 13+ ppg this year, they may have also have been counting the days till his contract was up so they've have that money in free agency. so they might not be interested. although, it being dallas - getting a vet like teague might be all they'd be getting in free agency anyway. let them renegotiate the 3 year/$30M deal he might be looking for.

short answer: i think it's at least worthy of a phone call.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 am This debate just shows that the Wolves need a good PG. No real right answer here. Rose is the most talented, but is made of glass. Tyus runs a smoother offense, but is limited talent wise. Teague is just a disappointment.
This
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'll never forget Thrillkill and so_money saying he wasn't an NBA player and won't stick in the league long.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
JoeBagO'Donuts

Post by JoeBagO'Donuts »

Tyus has made great strides, he now has an NBA body and his defense has gone from liability to asset. #1 for him is working on his 3pt shot, it's where nearly all of his offseason work should be focused.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm I'll never forget Thrillkill and so_money saying he wasn't an NBA player and won't stick in the league long.
So did I. I still think he's lucky to be on a NBA roster.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm I'll never forget Thrillkill and so_money saying he wasn't an NBA player and won't stick in the league long.
So_Money threw a fucking shit fit when he was picked. It was asinine.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:08 pm
Small Hands wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 am This debate just shows that the Wolves need a good PG. No real right answer here. Rose is the most talented, but is made of glass. Tyus runs a smoother offense, but is limited talent wise. Teague is just a disappointment.
This
agreed. but i think tyus has shown enough to stick around as a backup.

think we're better off with a tyus-like guy as starter - but one who doesn't have some of tyus' drawbacks. satoransky is thriving enough since wall's injury that now the wiz mgmt is trying to hurry up an extension to keep him past this season. hope they don't get it done and he goes on the market. runs a smooth pass-first O like tyus, but is 6-7 210 and really athletic. last 11 games for washington he's averaging 11/5/5 on 49% from two and 42% from three. washington press calls him the "ultimate glue guy" and that he should be their #1 priority to resign. if he makes it to the offseason without an extension, sato - not wall - should be the wiz we target. our offense works better as a whole with that kind of a PG.
Dickface McSlapnuts

Post by Dickface McSlapnuts »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 pm Tyus is kind of like Ricky. Not elite anymore but just such a team player and glue guy. Knows the spots to get his teammates easy buckets and can control the pace of the team and game.

Tyus is better than Ricky in that he can drive and finish and has a nice shot. We are seeing more of what Tyus is capable of with increased minutes. I think he can be way better than Ricky.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

YBBR wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm
So_Money threw a fucking shit fit when he was picked. It was asinine.
It was epic :lol:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Dickface McSlapnuts wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 pm Tyus is kind of like Ricky. Not elite anymore but just such a team player and glue guy. Knows the spots to get his teammates easy buckets and can control the pace of the team and game.

Tyus is better than Ricky in that he can drive and finish and has a nice shot. We are seeing more of what Tyus is capable of with increased minutes. I think he can be way better than Ricky.
tyus has only once again started to finish drives strong. for a long time he was hopeless - worse than ricky. not sure what's gotten into him since saunders took over, but it's been better. right now, however, it's still just a blip of improvement compared to the vast majority of his career. if he can keep it up - if he's solved that puzzle - then that would indeed be very cool.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

If Tyus can start hitting shots more often and be willing to attack the rim I think he has a chance to fight for the more minutes and even a starting job. We havent seen what he can do without consistent minutes but hope next few game he will get a shot. Also a pg that is more respected by teammates will find more trust with the coach as well.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:09 pm
Dickface McSlapnuts wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm

tyus has only once again started to finish drives strong. for a long time he was hopeless - worse than ricky. not sure what's gotten into him since saunders took over, but it's been better. right now, however, it's still just a blip of improvement compared to the vast majority of his career. if he can keep it up - if he's solved that puzzle - then that would indeed be very cool.
Last year he shot 68% from within 3 feet.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense