Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Doncic is the Next Larry Bird

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
UnFadeable21

Re: Doncic is the Next Larry Bird

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:02 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:49 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 pm

And everyone kind of predicted that during the draft.... I don't get it.
Trae Young has been solid. Can pass and shoot. Hawks beat the Wolves, Celtics, and Sixers this season.

Doncic told Atlanta he didn’t want to play there so that turned them off.

Still Luka is legit
I would never listen to a player who said he didn't want to play there. NEVER. Young is OK but again, the Kings AND Hawks should have taken Doncic.
True, Curry said he didn't want to play for the Wolves, we should of still drafted him.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am
thinktank wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm I don't really see the comparison... Bird was a combo forward and Doncic is a tall, skilled guard. Both have white skin and can shoot. Hmm..
Pretend you’re color blind.

Maybe then you’ll be able to see the similarity.
I'm not on ignore anymore!? :lol:
My response was the exception that makes the rule:

You’re still on ignore.

:)

Back on topic:

Doncic is a lot like Bird. A bit shorter, probably not as good a defender.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm
thinktank wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Pretend you’re color blind.

Maybe then you’ll be able to see the similarity.

You’re still on ignore.

Back on topic:

Maybe, I just don't see it because one is a combo guard and Bird was a combo forward.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Doncic is the next Toni kukoc
Doncic is the next Dražen Petrović
Doncic is the next Dirk
Doncic is the next Chris mullin
Doncic is the next John Havlicek
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am Doncic is a stud... I don't fault Phoenix still for taking Ayton... but everyone after that?
See Ayton makes no sense to me. If they wanted to go center, Jaren Jackson made so much more sense then and even more so now.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Doncic is more Prime Manu than Bird
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

OliverMiller wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am Doncic is a stud... I don't fault Phoenix still for taking Ayton... but everyone after that?
See Ayton makes no sense to me. If they wanted to go center, Jaren Jackson made so much more sense then and even more so now.
I'm surprised Jackson dropped to 4 too. This was a really good draft.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:12 pm
thinktank wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm

You’re still on ignore.

Back on topic:

Maybe, I just don't see it because one is a combo guard and Bird was a combo forward.
That’s really lame.

They’re the same in damn near every way but height.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't know how doncic stacks up statistically when looking at defense. but he has a nose to make a play. he not only hit that dagger three against us - he was also the guy that broke up the final critical play when rose tried to dump it to KAT at the end. just in the right place at the right time over and over again. that's birdlike.

and as to the whole debate: show of hands please. who here was old enough to actually follow bird and watch bird during his entire career? my hand is up. i'm sure there are quite a few more - but some of you younger guys are just referencing stats.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm I don't really see the comparison... Bird was a combo forward and Doncic is a tall, skilled guard. Both have white skin and can shoot. Hmm..
yep... also, I'd like to wait another season and see some consistency. We've all seen the one hit wonders fade away as time goes on. Teams will attempt to adjust and then you can see if hes next level. Give the league some time to "learn" to defend his game and then we can anoint the chosen one.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:51 pm i don't know how doncic stacks up statistically when looking at defense. but he has a nose to make a play. he not only hit that dagger three against us - he was also the guy that broke up the final critical play when rose tried to dump it to KAT at the end. just in the right place at the right time over and over again. that's birdlike.

and as to the whole debate: show of hands please. who here was old enough to actually follow bird and watch bird during his entire career? my hand is up. i'm sure there are quite a few more - but some of you younger guys are just referencing stats.
50 yo here... as a Laker fan growing up in LA I saw plenty... but mostly his biggest playoff moments - not as much reg season.

I think HHM is right... its a little premature and based on unathletic white guy that can shoot and is a gamer. Yes, that's alot of Bird right there, but lets wait and see what he does when teams are actually scouting that and game planning for him.

I admit I havent barely seen any of his games though.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

minnemike wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 pm
yep... also, I'd like to wait another season and see some consistency. We've all seen the one hit wonders fade away as time goes on. Teams will attempt to adjust and then you can see if hes next level. Give the league some time to "learn" to defend his game and then we can anoint the chosen one.
Nah. He is 100% legit. He is probably the most accomplished 19 year old in the history of basketball, both in the states and overseas. :thumbsup:
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Has a very Harden-esque offensive game. Without the bullshit though.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Brett wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:23 am
Spoiler alert from someone well-versed on the dude, he's the opposite of the type to be a 1hit wonder or figured out. He will always be the one out-cleverring (totally not a word) the defense and itll only become a bigger strength as he ages. He's the definition of a sure thing. 10/10 skill. 10/10 court feel bball brain. 10/10 mindset for an athlete. 10/10 intangibles. Fully developed and proven at every level, never been just a potential or hype guy.

It'll get tough for like 1 second because he's not an uber athlete but then he'll adjust and have the upper hand per usual.
agreed. and i'll just point out one other thing from my personal perspective. i'm a big bird guy. love how he played and consider him a top 10 all-time player, maybe top 5. so... i've never drawn a comparison between some other player and him. till now. it's not something i just throw out there lightly. doncic's all-round game, his mastery of skills at such a young age, his ability to come up big at the right moment - it all reminds me very much of bird.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

Doncic is legit. Fucking 19??? Jesus

We all know the euros are questionable tho. You watch YouTube and they look awesome. They go NBA and shrivel up under pressure.

He reminds me of harden. Bird didn’t have the step back 3, the handles. Bird was a better defender also. Doncic isn’t much on that side of the ball.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Brett wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:23 am
Spoiler alert from someone well-versed on the dude, he's the opposite of the type to be a 1hit wonder or figured out. He will always be the one out-cleverring (totally not a word) the defense and itll only become a bigger strength as he ages. He's the definition of a sure thing. 10/10 skill. 10/10 court feel bball brain. 10/10 mindset for an athlete. 10/10 intangibles. Fully developed and proven at every level, never been just a potential or hype guy.

It'll get tough for like 1 second because he's not an uber athlete but then he'll adjust and have the upper hand per usual.
I'm 100% buying into the guy being a transformational player. Different player from Bird though!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Subarudrivingsnowflake wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 am Doncic is legit. Fucking 19??? Jesus

We all know the euros are questionable tho. You watch YouTube and they look awesome. They go NBA and shrivel up under pressure.

He reminds me of harden. Bird didn’t have the step back 3, the handles. Bird was a better defender also. Doncic isn’t much on that side of the ball.
Bird played in a different era, I think Bird would still excel in this era with his skillset but he'd be more like Dirk in his prime with better defense than Doncic. Doncic/Bird appear to be very highly skilled and high in the b-ball IQ.. clutch shooters. They have the same demeanor, killer instinct like a Kobe/Jordan.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am I think Bird would still excel in this era with his skillset but he'd be more like Dirk in his prime with better defense than Doncic.
Bird would absolutely kill today. He’d be straight bombing from deep and his passing and ball handling would be even more lethal with the spacing—just like Doncic.

(Yes, you’re still on ignore.)
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am I think Bird would still excel in this era with his skillset but he'd be more like Dirk in his prime with better defense than Doncic.
Bird would absolutely kill today. He’d be straight bombing from deep and his passing would be even more lethal with the spacing.

Good, I hope to keep it that way. Say hi to swaggy pie for me!
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 am
thinktank wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 am
Bird would absolutely kill today. He’d be straight bombing from deep and his passing would be even more lethal with the spacing.

Good, I hope to keep it that way. Say hi to swaggy pie for me!
Who?

:zzz:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

How can Doncic be the next Larry Bird when I'm the next Larry Bird? He can't! It's impossible! Does not compute.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
ESAD

Post by ESAD »

White LeBron
January 9th, 1989. The day the hand got hot
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Brett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:51 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am
Subarudrivingsnowflake wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 am Doncic is legit. Fucking 19??? Jesus

Bird played in a different era, I think Bird would still excel in this era with his skillset but he'd be more like Dirk in his prime with better defense than Doncic. Doncic/Bird appear to be very highly skilled and high in the b-ball IQ.. clutch shooters. They have the same demeanor, killer instinct like a Kobe/Jordan.
So what youre saying is.... he's the combo guard version of Bird.
Maybe he gets there? Defensively Bird was great -- Reusse blocked me on twitter for telling him he didn't follow Bird after he said he was a bad defender. I think a lot of the intangibles are there for Doncic.

Hell of a resume though:

3× NBA champion (1981, 1984, 1986)
2× NBA Finals MVP (1984, 1986)
3× NBA Most Valuable Player (1984–1986)
12× NBA All-Star (1980–1988, 1990–1992)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (1982)
9× All-NBA First Team (1980–1988)
All-NBA Second Team (1990)
3× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1982–1984)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1980)
2× 50–40–90 club (1987, 1988)
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Brett wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 am Its gonna be a nice change of pace when im called luka instead of Bird when i play pickup. I didnt watch bird cant relate.

Its a new day my Scandinavian compadres.
Don't you mean Balkans? :shrug:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

tigerpork

Post by tigerpork »

He looks like the next gordon hayward to me :thinking:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Brett wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:00 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 am
Brett wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 am Its gonna be a nice change of pace when im called luka instead of Bird when i play pickup. I didnt watch bird cant relate.

Its a new day my Scandinavian compadres.
Don't you mean Balkans? :shrug:
Nope. Im not talking bout Doncics nationality/ethnicity.
Had no idea about that.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense