Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Doncic is the Next Larry Bird

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Doncic is the Next Larry Bird

Post by Decker23 »

Amazing.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
shoteh

Re: Doncic is the Next Larry Bird

Post by shoteh »

Wrong, Magic
witljon

Post by witljon »

I was thinking Bird.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

this is making me smile. i just posted the bird comparison in the game thread. cold blooded killer just like bird.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
D_H

Post by D_H »

He's a very good player for sure the days of European players being intimidated by United States players are over. It won't be long until approximately half the NBA is made up of foreign born players. The NBA is really taking off it'll be just a matter of time before it's more popular than the NFL.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

A healthy Brandon Roy.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

D_H wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 pm He's a very good player for sure the days of European players being intimidated by United States players are over. It won't be long until approximately half the NBA is made up of foreign born players. The NBA is really taking off it'll be just a matter of time before it's more popular than the NFL.
Similar to soccer, you can pick up a ball and play basically anywhere, at anytime, during any season. You can play it by yourself, with one friend, 2 friends, or however many friends. Because of this, its become popular across the globe. I don't know if it will ever surpass football in the states, but I do think the rise of foreign players will continue. I dont think half the NBA will ever become foreign players, but the gap is definitely closing.
witljon

Post by witljon »

D_H wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 pm The NBA is really taking off it'll be just a matter of time before it's more popular than the NFL.
How much time you talking here?

30, 40, 50 years?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

for me, watching doncic's effectiveness - and near dominance - as a rookie puts a nail in the coffin that larry bird couldn't succeed in today's nba. both are/were unathletic marvels - but tremendously skilled, off the charts bbiq guys with cold blooded killer instincts who never go out of style. the only difference i can see in the two is that bird is two inches taller, weighs a tad more and has the benefit of a brilliant career behind him. doncic is just getting started on his.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

witljon wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:12 am
D_H wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 pm The NBA is really taking off it'll be just a matter of time before it's more popular than the NFL.

30, 40, 50 years?
I don't see basketball taking over the day of the Lord anytime soon.

Both leagues are actually becoming pretty poor products in my opinion however, even as the money grows insanely.
Last edited by irishman89 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
witljon

Post by witljon »

irishman89 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:36 am
witljon wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:12 am

30, 40, 50 years?
I don't see basketball taking over the day of the Lord anytime soon.

Both leagues are actually becoming pretty poor products in my opinion however.
I don't either, but we have basketball junkies (hopefuls)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Question... Does the comparison have to be a white player?
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:48 am Question... Does the comparison have to be a white player?
Yes, it does. Don't get cute.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I don't really see the comparison... Bird was a combo forward and Doncic is a tall, skilled guard. Both have white skin and can shoot. Hmm..
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Atlanta fucked that up.

Everyone knew it when it was done.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm I don't really see the comparison... Bird was a combo forward and Doncic is a tall, skilled guard. Both have white skin and can shoot. Hmm..
Pretend you’re color blind.

Maybe then you’ll be able to see the similarity.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinktank wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm I don't really see the comparison... Bird was a combo forward and Doncic is a tall, skilled guard. Both have white skin and can shoot. Hmm..

now that's a great response.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Actually even between Bird and Magic, he's closer to Magic. 6'8 PG Vs. 6'9 PG

I don't think he'll ever get to their level and become a top 10 player of all-time, but he's having a hell of a rookie year. It'll be fun to watch him.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

YBBR wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:46 pm Actually even between Bird and Magic, he's closer to Magic. 6'8 PG Vs. 6'9 PG

I don't think he'll ever get to their level and become a top 10 player of all-time, but he's having a hell of a rookie year. It'll be fun to watch him.
my comparison is based on athleticism (which i think magic was superior to over bird - many players were) but also that ability to hit the great shot at the right time. magic always seemed to me to be a guy that played consistently great throughout games, whereas bird just had that extra gear to always come up big in crunch time. that's what i see in doncic.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

D_H wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 pm He's a very good player for sure the days of European players being intimidated by United States players are over. It won't be long until approximately half the NBA is made up of foreign born players. The NBA is really taking off it'll be just a matter of time before it's more popular than the NFL.
Which is how it should be. The NBA is the premier basketball competition in the world, Euroleague doesn't come close. You'd hope only the cream of the crop are in it, regardless of where they are from.

Plus, it is an international game, NFL is not, and that alone should have more people globally watching.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm not on ignore anymore!? :lol:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am

I'm not on ignore anymore!? :lol:
:lol:
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Bird handled the ball quite a bit. Back then though, offenses didn't extend out past the 3 point line as much as they do now...

I can see some folks passing on Giannis back when because Giannis was only 6'8" during most of the year before the draft. Giannis grew more inches taller during the few months before the draft. With Doncic, his body and game didn't change last year to this year. It should have been easy to extrapolate Doncic as a ball handling force in the NBA. Doncic seems like a 14 year all star to me.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Doncic is a stud... I don't fault Phoenix still for taking Ayton... but everyone after that?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am Doncic is a stud... I don't fault Phoenix still for taking Ayton... but everyone after that?
Atlanta trading him is going to be one of the worst trades in a long, long time

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am Doncic is a stud... I don't fault Phoenix still for taking Ayton... but everyone after that?
And everyone kind of predicted that during the draft.... I don't get it.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 pm
Same :shrug:

That is a prime example of why bad franchises stay bad.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Trae Young has been solid. Can pass and shoot. Hawks beat the Wolves, Celtics, and Sixers this season.

Doncic told Atlanta he didn’t want to play there so that turned them off.

Still Luka is legit
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Trae Young has been solid. Can pass and shoot. Hawks beat the Wolves, Celtics, and Sixers this season.

Doncic told Atlanta he didn’t want to play there so that turned them off.

Still Luka is legit
I would never listen to a player who said he didn't want to play there. NEVER. Young is OK but again, the Kings AND Hawks should have taken Doncic.