Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Jim Pete Does Not Hold Back (podcast - Thibs)

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Jim Pete Does Not Hold Back (podcast - Thibs)

Post by flexbuffchest »

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Re: Jim Pete Does Not Hold Back (podcast - Thibs)

Post by Beef Supreme »

Cliff’s notes?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 am Cliff’s notes?
"so many people were let out of prison" > when Thibs was fired.
"oppressive environment"
"people were walking on eggshells all the time"
"Not a guy that plays well with others"
"Thibs never connected with people"
"Wasn't willing to deal with mistakes that young players make."

He really hates the fact that Thibs alienated Jim. :lol: Insinuated that Thibs literally wanted nothing to do with Petersen. Said he was no sympathy for people who treat others so poorly.

"lots of positive things are happening now"
Last edited by flexbuffchest on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ding-dong the witch is dead, I guess!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 am Ding-dong the witch is dead, I guess!
There's a lot more as well. That's just from the first half of the podcast. Too lazy to recap the rest.

Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 am Cliff’s notes?
"so many people were let out of prison" > when Thibs was fired.
"oppressive environment"
"people were walking on eggshells all the time"
"Not a guy that plays well with others"
"Thibs never connected with people"
"Wasn't willing to deal with mistakes that young players make."

He really hates the fact that Thibs alienated Jim. :lol: Insinuated that Thibs literally wanted nothing to do with Petersen. Said he was no sympathy for people who treat others so poorly.

"lots of positive things are happening now"
I'm sure Jim Pete could have talked for 20 minutes on Thibs' coaching defciences
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

That's crazy that Thibs told his assistant coaches not to talk with Petersen. Props to Pete for not letting this affect his broadcast performance.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Taylor deserves credit for making things right despite the cost.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Jim Pete is a pretty cool guy. He knew one of my son's coaches and would be at games and several times really gave good advice to the coach and team.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Playa's gotta be accountable for their putrid play for much of this season. No, Thibs didn't help things, but today's youth pretty much do what they want regardless who's in charge so he shouldn't have had such an effect on them. Man up.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

A crazy lunatic that barks like a madman all game every game is an asshole? Shocker.
Let's get Tropical
ESAD

Post by ESAD »

It was obvious 30 games into the Tibs era that it was a colossal mistake.

Boycott over baby! Run n gun!

A Dyna$ty in the decade of dime$ ptII
January 9th, 1989. The day the hand got hot
JoeBagO'Donuts

Post by JoeBagO'Donuts »

How is Jim Pete not a leading candidate for President of Basketball Ops? He appears to have the skillset required from both a basketball and interpersonal standpoint. He's analytical, objective and loyal; he's an ideal candidate in my book.

But I'd miss him as our color guy.
witljon

Post by witljon »

A big reason Jim Pete didn't care for Thibodeau was because he wouldn't let him in at practices.

Thibs must have not trusted him with info...
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thibbs was a FPOS!

The more we read and hear, it’s clear this guy was maybe the biggest mistake the organization ever made and was going to crash the whole damn thing.

Thank Taylor for finally stepping and realizing his mistake and eating the cost to fire Thibbs and saving the Team. I don’t know if Saunders is the coach next season, but at least there is light again.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

This is all nothing, I am more offended Thibs was not helping the team defensively and our offense under him was to much iso ball

I couldn't give 2 shits about marketing guys like Casson bitching or people getting access to practice.

His saving grace was he was a good GM.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

The “walking on eggshells” comment pretty much echoed what I’d heard from someone else close to the organization.

Good fucking riddance.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 pm This is all nothing, I am more offended Thibs was not helping the team defensively and our offense under him was to much iso ball

I couldn't give 2 shits about marketing guys like Casson bitching or people getting access to practice.

Anyone and everyone knew from minute 1 that local media and PR guys would hate him. He doesn't talk and they wanted him gone from the jump. If we were tougher and played his ball and Butler stayed no one would care. But here we are and now it's piss on his grave time. Still one playoff spot in 15 years and it was him. But hey, we are the Wolves. Rather have an exciting loss than a grinding win I guess.

I certainly expect a nice smile for a draft pick. After 2 years of selling them of course.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 pm
morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 pm This is all nothing, I am more offended Thibs was not helping the team defensively and our offense under him was to much iso ball

Anyone and everyone knew from minute 1 that local media and PR guys would hate him. He doesn't talk and they wanted him gone from the jump. If we were tougher and played his ball and Butler stayed no one would care. But here we are and now it's piss on his grave time. Still one playoff spot in 15 years and it was him. But hey, we are the Wolves. Rather have an exciting loss than a grinding win I guess.

I certainly expect a nice smile for a draft pick. After 2 years of selling them of course.
So which NBA team will hire him as head coach? I mean since it is our states fault for being such a bunch of “little girls” and getting rid of him, there must be an endless amount of teams ready to bring him in as head coach.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:46 pm

So which NBA team will hire him as head coach? I mean since it is our states fault for being such a bunch of “little girls” and getting rid of him, there must be an endless amount of teams ready to bring him in as head coach.
No coach gets fired and gets another head job right away. He will go build a championship D on a vet team like before and then he'll get another shot. But obviously it would have to be a vet team with tough players.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Pretty much describes the Jodaas of the world, just be a Minnesota Nice Bitch and all is good in these last 14 years of losing.

Joda: "Hey we just want everyone to be nice and have nice sportsmanship, Go WOlves" :thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Pretty much describes the Jodaas of the world, just be a Minnesota Nice Bitch and all is good in these last 14 years of losing.

Joda: "Hey we just want everyone to be nice and have nice sportsmanship, Go WOlves" :thumbsup:
What I always found funny was just how matter of fact Thibs was after games. Ask him about anyone/any play and it's unvarnished truth. But won't give the "inside scoop" the next day so they all hate him. I guess it's understandable that people are self interested in their own job but you'd have thought a playoff appearance would have helped after 14 years.

Toughness in sports is gone. God I miss shit like Issiah punching Lambier in the back of the head and still winning the championship.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm
morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

What I always found funny was just how matter of fact Thibs was after games. Ask him about anyone/any play and it's unvarnished truth. But won't give the "inside scoop" the next day so they all hate him. I guess it's understandable that people are self interested in their own job but you'd have thought a playoff appearance would have helped after 14 years.

Toughness in sports is gone. God I miss shit like Issiah punching Lambier in the back of the head and still winning the championship.
Pretty much yeah, we are in the age of if someone does not smile at you, you need to file a grievance. :lol:
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Great autopsy of the Thibs era by JP. The guy was an insufferable prick that was terrible at both of his jobs. If you're going to be an insufferable prick then you need to actually win to be kept around.

JP agrees, Thibs couldn't stand the idea of developing young players.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Jim Peterson has been around for two decades and has never once been on the bench or offered a job or anything so his opinion means about as much as Thibs to me sorry. He's a smug shit talker but the best announcer in the business. Announcer.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

irishman89 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 pm Jim Peterson has been around for two decades and has never once been on the bench or offered a job or anything so his opinion means about as much as Thibs to me sorry. He's a smug shit talker but the best announcer in the business. Announcer.
lol
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

irishman89 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 pm Jim Peterson has been around for two decades and has never once been on the bench or offered a job or anything so his opinion means about as much as Thibs to me sorry. He's a smug shit talker but the best announcer in the business. Announcer.
Or maybe he doesn't want to do those things...

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 pm
I like him. Only thing I don't is he usually has one or 2 guys he expects way too much from. What I do lie is he calls the plays of the game legit. Never hedges on a call. It's right or it's wrong.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 pm
I like him. Only thing I don't is he usually has one or 2 guys he expects way too much from. What I do lie is he calls the plays of the game legit. Never hedges on a call. It's right or it's wrong.
Fair thing to point out but you also have to understand that there will be bias with every play-play crew. To me when I watch feeds of other teams they are much worse in either their knowledge or complete homerism and bias that goes way beyond what Benz and Pete do.

Everyone has warts but Petersen is better than most.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 pm
Can you give an example of some of those players he expects too much from? From what I hear from him, he's pretty fair in his assessments and criticisms of the Wolves players. One player I can maybe think of, is Rubio. I do recall him sometimes being critical of Rubio's effort, when not many, even the biggest Rubio haters, ever questioned his desire, hustle, or effort.