Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Ryan Saunders Interim Coach Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: *** Official Ryan Saunders Interim Coach Thread ***

Post by flexbuffchest »

memyworld wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 am
That's something coming from a Thibs guy. :bow:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Ryan the GOAT
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

We're coming!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Karl and Wiggs failed him tonight, they could not stand up to their bully Jimmy.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

morneaumvp wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm Karl and Wiggs failed him tonight, they could not stand up to their bully Jimmy.
As a team they failed. The 76’ers had a freak night and unfortunately for the Wolves they were on the court with them tonight. If Philly plays like that consistently - Crown their ass as Champions.

Wolves will play them here, my bet is the 76’ers play will come back to earth for that game.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

qrocks wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am Image
She appears to be enjoying her round.

One of the best movies ever.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

morneaumvp wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm Karl and Wiggs failed him tonight, they could not stand up to their bully Jimmy.
Everyone was castrated last night.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wolves aren't making the playoffs, Ryan should take the Gophers job after they fire Pitno this season. He isn't ready for the NBA and needs some seasoning at the lower level like Brad Stevens did at Butler.

I would take Monty Williams over Ryan Saunders for the Wolves.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm
Since this tweet, it looks like most players have taken less long 2's. But there's is a straggler!

Wiggins before 1/12 tweet was taking 4.3 long 2's per game. After this tweet he is taking 6.3! WTF?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 pm Wolves aren't making the playoffs, Ryan should take the Gophers job after they fire Pitno this season. He isn't ready for the NBA and needs some seasoning at the lower level like Brad Stevens did at Butler.

Ryan gets the rest of the season. Missing Covington, and now Tyus really sucks for him, because those are two of the best team players.

Yes if we take the playoffs off the table it would be a little fairer way to give Saunders an honest assessment.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 pm Wolves aren't making the playoffs, Ryan should take the Gophers job after they fire Pitno this season. He isn't ready for the NBA and needs some seasoning at the lower level like Brad Stevens did at Butler.

Ryan gets the rest of the season. Missing Covington, and now Tyus really sucks for him, because those are two of the best team players.

Yes if we take the playoffs off the table it would be a little fairer way to give Saunders an honest assessment.
If we make the playoffs, he deserves to stay here long term.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

kilkenny wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:48 am
Since this tweet, it looks like most players have taken less long 2's. But there's is a straggler!

Wiggins before 1/12 tweet was taking 4.3 long 2's per game. After this tweet he is taking 6.3! WTF?
I think part of this would have to do with Saunders trying to turn him into a more aggressive player. I havent looked any of the advanced stats up, but I'm guessing his usage rate and overall number of shots has gone up...and a big part of his game is mid range. Overall percentage of shot selection is probably pretty close to what its always been.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 am

If we make the playoffs, he deserves to stay here long term.
Well they are not making the playoffs.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

He'd be 5-1 with Covington in the line up but that speaks more to the opponents than his coaching. Why do the three biggest players do the most reaching on the team? The fouling is out of control - too many quarters in which the other team is in the penalty with 5 minutes left.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

While the whole Ryan Saunders thing is a nice story. He is not the answer to this team moving forward.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 pm

I think part of this would have to do with Saunders trying to turn him into a more aggressive player. I havent looked any of the advanced stats up, but I'm guessing his usage rate and overall number of shots has gone up...and a big part of his game is mid range. Overall percentage of shot selection is probably pretty close to what its always been.
His overall number of shots have gone up by a little over one. However, 36.5% of his shots are midrange whereas it was 26.1% before Ryan took over. IOW, Wiggins is being less aggressive.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

kilkenny wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:03 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 pm

His overall number of shots have gone up by a little over one. However, 36.5% of his shots are midrange whereas it was 26.1% before Ryan took over. IOW, Wiggins is being less aggressive.
ouch. There goes that theory.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

kilkenny wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Yup. He came out in Saunders first game as if he were let out of a cage. Then he apparently decided the cage was kinda comfy.
Ketchup can be nuancy
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Biggest difference: only one player averaging over 31 minutes per game since Saunders took over (Wiggins).
Obviously KAT would be without foul trouble but still
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Shots from 16-24 feet before Saunders:

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/ ... ft%20Range

Shots from 16-24 feet after Saunders:

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/ ... F08%2F2019

kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm Shots from 16-24 feet before Saunders:

3 point line is 23'9" (to 22' on the sides). So a lot of those shots you're highlighting are 3's which are good imo. Do it by zone and you'll see a different picture.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

kilkenny wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:51 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm Shots from 16-24 feet before Saunders:

3 point line is 23'9" (to 22' on the sides). So a lot of those shots you're highlighting are 3's which are good imo. Do it by zone and you'll see a different picture.
Zone doesn't give you all that info.

kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Gives you everything outside the painted area and inside the 3 point line. Much better than lopping in 3's.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

kilkenny wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:25 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Gives you everything outside the painted area and inside the 3 point line. Much better than lopping in 3's.
And it lumps everything that's outside the paint as the same thing until a 3. :shrug:

Anyway, here's another tool that's better than anything else. If you count only the zone that is just inside the 3:

With Thibs:
http://nbashotcharts.com/zoned?id=-351471251
1.38 shots a game

With Ryan:
http://nbashotcharts.com/zoned?id=-570316481

2.17 shots a game.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Wondering what Glen's criteria is or keeping Saunders around. .500 ball? Wiggins improvement? Strong push for playoffs even if they don't make it?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm Wondering what Glen's criteria is or keeping Saunders around. .500 ball? Wiggins improvement? Strong push for playoffs even if they don't make it?
My guess is that no matter what happens Glen will interview a few coaches just to see who is interested and go from there.

But if Saunders makes it to the play offs i honestly wouldn't mind just hiring him full time without even looking at other options.

He is young and extremely wet behind the ears but maybe he excels as the season goes along. Crazy things like that have happened, look at Sean McVay.

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm Wondering what Glen's criteria is or keeping Saunders around. .500 ball? Wiggins improvement? Strong push for playoffs even if they don't make it?
More like cheapest option since he still has to pay Thibs.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

I just hope Ryan isn't too attached to some of the players where he would find value in them when the rest of the league doesn't. Gotta make the team better regardless of how much you like the player as a person. Also hope he's not attached to Wiggins because it doesn't look like his influence is making him any better.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I took a quick look at 3FGAs under Saunders and we shot way more threes in wins than in losses.

Something to keep an eye on.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

During some Wolves scrimmages, interim head coach Ryan Saunders makes corner three-pointers worth an extra point, and points deducted for committing turnovers and allowing offensive rebounds.

Timberwolves practice the wheres and whys of taking a good shot

By Chris Hine | Star Tribune | JANUARY 24, 2019 — 6:48AM

There are time when the Timberwolves are scrimmaging and a player will look confused at the scoreboard.

“Sometimes you have five [points] and you look back and you’re at three,” rookie guard Josh Okogie said. “Then you see, ‘Oh, we’re playing those rules.’ ”

“Those rules” would be the unique scoring system interim coach Ryan Saunders will instill in the occasional scrimmage, all in an attempt for the Wolves to play as efficiently as they can. Corner three-pointers are worth an extra point. Saunders will take away points for long two-pointers. There are also points deducted for committing turnovers and allowing offensive rebounds, but the focus on shooting in the most advantageous spots on the floor is one of the main goals Saunders has in using his scoring tweaks.

“It’s not to tell any player to not shoot a shot,” Saunders said. “It’s more a condition on what is analytically a better shot in a way, so if it means you’re taking a step-back rather than being inside the three-point line by a foot, that’s something that points per possession-wise is important in the NBA now.”

One of the most opportunistic shots in basketball is the corner three-pointer because it is 22 feet — compared to an “above the break” three-pointer at 23.75 feet — and the Wolves are 16th in the NBA in attempting those at 6.8 per game.

For the players, the scrimmages are a reminder of where the game is headed. Guard Jerryd Bayless, who scrimmaged in similar ways when he was with the 76ers, said the punishments were severe if you took a shot deemed inefficient, like a long two-pointer, and he has some concerns of the effect analytics can have on the natural instincts of players.

“You weren’t going to play if you shot that, realistically,” Bayless said. “I think different teams value different shots. The whole analytics wave is interesting because it puts such a premium on the percentage … but at the same time a lot of guys, maybe their strength is the midrange game and taking that away, I think, plays a mental mind game with certain players because they’re not really used to that.”

There are a few Wolves who take a significant amount of midrange shots — forward Andrew Wiggins, who takes 4.4 midrange shots per game, and center Gorgui Dieng, who only takes 4.2 shots per game, but 1.7 of those are midrange. Both said they will still take those shots if they’re open.

I don’t think about it too much, to be honest. I just play my game,” Wiggins said. “Really, if the three is open, I’m going to shoot it. The long twos, I’ll shoot it. The layups, I’ll shoot it.”

It’s one thing if the long twos are contested, it’s another if they’re open. Those aren’t as bad, analytically speaking, since a higher percentage go in the hoop. But Saunders is trying to instill some sense of thought behind shot selection without trying to make the players think too much.

“It’s all about building habits,” forward Anthony Tolliver said. “If you’re building habits to shoot more threes, cut from the slot and things that you get points [for] in practice, I think that it just naturally will happen more in a game.

Then Tolliver added: “But in a game, you’re still going to take the shots you feel like you need to take.”