Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Ryan Saunders Interim Coach Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
UnFadeable21

Re: *** Official Ryan Saunders Interim Coach Thread ***

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm Thibs is a good coach but he lacked the human element of coaching to connect to and with people.

Need that
His year off from coaching was a tour to see what other coaches were doing, he was supposedly a "changed man" after it all. There is no difference from Chicago to Minnesota in his personality. He's the same Thibs. Hopefully he gets an assistant job soon and continues to coach since basketball and extended family are all the guy has.

I think a lot of people including myself in the beginning was excited about Thibs because we thought he would be like Zimmer, defensive minded tough guy coach. But Zim was married and had kids. He always told his players he loved them and how hard they worked. Thibs was all business all the time. Grind grind grind.

It may sound stupid to some but I believe teams and players need to know that they are cared for and loved so they really buy into the team and it’s culture.

I think Thibs would be a solid defensive assistant coach on the bench.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

In the immortal words of Jim Pete "I have no sympathy for people who choose to treat other people the way he did."

God damn!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

I wonder if Saunders brings back Rubio, after Teague becomes a free agent
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

morneaumvp wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm I wonder if Saunders brings back Rubio, after Teague becomes a free agent
God I hope not. Can't take that bad shooting. I think we need to let that ship sail.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'd like saunders to take wiggins aside and start with the basics about what a decoy does in a play. again, tonite - our final inbounds against dallas, once it started wiggins barely jogs to the spot he's supposed to go to and then stands there, upright, with his arms at his sides - immobile, like he's waiting in line for his license renewal at the DMV. he should just hang a sign above his head that reads "no need to guard me anymore, i'm not getting the inbounds pass". i swear to god, sometimes he's too dense for words.

please coach saunders, take the boychild less than gently aside and show him the tape. unexcusable.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
witljon

Post by witljon »

kilkenny wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm
morneaumvp wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm I wonder if Saunders brings back Rubio, after Teague becomes a free agent
God I hope not. Can't take that bad shooting. I think we need to let that ship sail.
I wonder what Saunders honest opinion is/was of the switch from Rubio to Teague.

And It'd be curious to know what he thought of trading the 3 young pieces for Butler.

Thibodeau tore apart some of what Flip had built.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If Wolves hire new coach will Saunders stay on as assistant? Might be awkward after being boss for half season.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

witljon wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 am
kilkenny wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm
I wonder what Saunders honest opinion is/was of the switch from Rubio to Teague.

And It'd be curious to know what he thought of trading the 3 young pieces for Butler.

Thibodeau tore apart some of what Flip had built.
Makes me pissed reading this. I wish those trades had never happened.

These players are already playing a little looser, this could get fun.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 am If Wolves hire new coach will Saunders stay on as assistant? Might be awkward after being boss for half season.
I doubt it would faze Saunders. I'm sure he is well aware of the realities of his situation.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Just remember, if we don't trade Rubio, we don't have Okogie. The trade was Rubio for Okogie.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
witljon

Post by witljon »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 am Just remember, if we don't trade Rubio, we don't have Okogie. The trade was Rubio for Okogie.
Thats true. We traded Rubio for that draft pick and the cap room to sign Teague.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I would easily take Rubio now over Teague now. They're not even that far apart in career shooting percentages and at least Ricky pulls the trigger when he's open now. I just don't find Teague a very decent person the more I watch how he behaves when he is under stress. He's not bringing any joy or extra effort or anything out of anyone on this team he's just in the way with his indecisive mental breakdown temper tantrum bullshit. Their hair is probably a push at this point however. Both are pretty awesome in their own ways.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 am Just remember, if we don't trade Rubio, we don't have Okogie. The trade was Rubio for Okogie.
Good move by Thibs. :clap:

:lol: Reminds me of Kahn trading Wes Johnson plus a first rounder to get rid of him, its nice that some of the critical moves that needed to be made were done by Thibs. Now that 95% of the roster is set for the foreseeable future we just need Ryan to coach them to the playoffs
and beyond. :naners:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm

:lol: Reminds me of Kahn trading Wes Johnson plus a first rounder to get rid of him, its nice that some of the critical moves that needed to be made were done by Thibs. Now that 95% of the roster is set for the foreseeable future we just need Ryan to coach them to the playoffs
Good God, you trying to save face for your ridiculous love of Thibbs by spewing trash is truly pathetic.

Thibbs could not have made you and any one of his Thibblodyte minions look more foolish.

Sad.

morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Good God, you trying to save face for your ridiculous love of Thibbs by spewing trash is truly pathetic.

Thibbs could not have made you and any one of his Thibblodyte minions look more foolish.

Sad.

jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Sad.

:lol: :thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Sad.

Good stuff!
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

:mrgreen:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm
There is a god.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Style

Post by Style »

I’d like to see the shot chart tonight, but the eye test seems to indicate the gimmick was effective. I think we shot 39 3s. I don’t remember too many long 2s either.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

Style wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 pm
I’d like to see the shot chart tonight, but the eye test seems to indicate the gimmick was effective. I think we shot 39 3s. I don’t remember too many long 2s either.
Only 9 shots that weren’t in the paint (25/42 for 59%) or a three (11/39). 4/9 in mid/long twos.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Really liking the small 3 game sample size. Nice approach, good energy, puts the right players in the right situations, etc...

On putting the right players in the right situations, I want to talk about the Okogie thing from last night. I saw a few wondering why he was in the game...The other option was to have Tolliver, or Tyus in on defense for that possession. Okogie was the right personnel, that play was on him alone.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 pm Really liking the small 3 game sample size. Nice approach, good energy, puts the right players in the right situations, etc...

On putting the right players in the right situations, I want to talk about the Okogie thing from last night. I saw a few wondering why he was in the game...The other option was to have Tolliver, or Tyus in on defense for that possession. Okogie was the right personnel, that play was on him alone.
:thumbsup:

Loving what I am seeing so far.

morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

FUCK YOU HOIBERG
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Love the fact that Saunders actually is willing to take in advice. Sign of a good leader :thumbsup:

morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Love the fact that Saunders actually is willing to take in advice. Sign of a good leader :thumbsup:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Tyus talking about how it's awesome that Ryan trusts his feel and judgement for the game. He was asked if that makes a difference and he immediately says yes, yes when your coach believes in you when hes telling me everyday to continue to play with confidence, play your game, I trust your feel, I trust watch you see out there...there is no better feeling.

He was NO fan of Thibs.

witljon

Post by witljon »

I got to say it helps when the players like playing for their coach and the coach likes his players.

Now lets hope our players and coach are good enough to win in this competitive NBA league.