Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Magic number

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
winforlose

Magic number

Post by winforlose »

Last season we won our 47th game and got into the playoffs. This year it seems a little less difficult to get in, I am hoping 45 wins gets us in. The problem is there are 82 games and we have played 36. This leaves 46. To get to that magic number of 45 wins we need to go 28-18 for the rest of the season.

Thibs will no doubt treat this as possible, and even if we cannot get their mathematically he will still win every game possible to try and keep his job. My question for everyone is, do you think we can go at least 28-18?

If yes, what changes should be made to help us get there? If no, what trades, rotation changes, etc… should we do for next year?
witljon

Re: Magic number

Post by witljon »

Right now it looks like we're a .500 team.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

We wont make the play offs (barring a couple teams having massive injuries) but if we can finish >.500 I'd consider it a success after all the damn drama that happened to begin the season.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

witljon wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 am Right now it looks like we're a .500 team.
Wrong! .472.

:humper:
witljon

Post by witljon »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 am We wont make the play offs (barring a couple teams having massive injuries) but if we can finish >.500 I'd consider it a success after all the damn drama that happened to begin the season.
No mans land. Aint good enough for the playoffs and not bad enough for a good pick in a weak draft.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:52 am
witljon wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 am Right now it looks like we're a .500 team.
Wrong! .472.

But we're something like 13-11 since the trade. Decent sample size to say things might just be coming together
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:59 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:52 am
Wrong! .472.

But we're something like 13-11 since the trade. Decent sample size to say things might just be coming together
I am not sure where I heard it (might have been on canishoopus or here, might even have been during a game,) but I heard we have the 5th hardest schedule the rest of the way. I agree it is doable, but not with the current setup.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Not sure if I will keep udpating this, but for now the magic number is 28-17.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

It'll be another scrape through effort. This period right now is make or break, and we aren't doing ourselves any favours.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

This is not what a magic number is though.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Wolves have 7 games this month, if they lose 5 of those and the playoff window looks closed - Thibbs is likely fired because there is absolutely no reason to keep him around in any capacity for the future of this franchise.

So the magic # for me is 5.

GO WOLVES!!
witljon

Post by witljon »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:22 pm Wolves have 7 games this month, if they lose 5 of those and the playoff window looks closed - Thibbs is likely fired because there is absolutely no reason to keep him around in any capacity for the future of this franchise.

GO WOLVES!!
Glen likes to save money.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

witljon wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:36 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:22 pm Wolves have 7 games this month, if they lose 5 of those and the playoff window looks closed - Thibbs is likely fired because there is absolutely no reason to keep him around in any capacity for the future of this franchise.

GO WOLVES!!
I am in the same boat as HeHateMe the Taylor will Fire him if they don’t make the playoffs, that has been my stance since the offseason.

In this case though I think Taylor may get to the point we’re enough is enough and he tries to give Saunders a quick half season job interview.

It all hinges on if Thibbs can get the Team to win consistently this January.

A 5 or 6 game winning streak would be exactly what him and this team needs right now.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm

GO WOLVES!!
I am in the same boat as HeHateMe the Taylor will Fire himif the don’t make the playoffs, that has been my stance since the offseason.

In this case though I think Taylor may get to the point we’re enough is enough and he tries to give Saunders a quick half season job interview.

A 5 or 6 game winning streak would be exactly what him and this team needs right now.

I am not even sure 6 games would do it. 22-17 would still be a tough order for this team running this scheme. I mean honestly we can't even consistently win the easy ones (Phoenix, Atlanta, Pels without Davis.)

Also Roco seemed hurt. If we cannot make the playoffs better to tank a bit to get a better pick.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Start Dyin' for Zion!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Wolves won't even finish .500. No, I don't think they can finish 28-18 :lol:

My prediction is 21-25
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:40 pm Start Dyin' for Zion!
This. At least get a lottery ball shot which they will because they suck anyway.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Magic number is still 45. This means 28-16. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but the wrong number keeps going down.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

This team will be lucky to sniff 35 wins and not fall 2 spots or more in the lotto. Just a bunch of pretty dumb players out there. Guys are already falling apart.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:48 am This team will be lucky to sniff 35 wins and not fall 2 spots or more in the lotto. Just a bunch of pretty dumb players out there. Guys are already falling apart.
This.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 pm

I am in the same boat as HeHateMe the Taylor will Fire himif the don’t make the playoffs, that has been my stance since the offseason.

I am not even sure 6 games would do it. 22-17 would still be a tough order for this team running this scheme. I mean honestly we can't even consistently win the easy ones (Phoenix, Atlanta, Pels without Davis.)

Also Roco seemed hurt. If we cannot make the playoffs better to tank a bit to get a better pick.
"Running this scheme"? I agree Thibs is shit but it goes way beyond that. Maybe some other coach can get more out of these guy's but as of right now, I don't see this team doing anything with it's curent roster.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 am
winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 pm

"Running this scheme"? I agree Thibs is shit but it goes way beyond that. Maybe some other coach can get more out of these guy's but as of right now, I don't see this team doing anything with it's curent roster.
Perfect example is Josh Okogie. Every play he runs to the corner and stands still. This is a high energy dyanmic player who literally takes himself out of the offense. A better scheme uses his and Wiggins high motors to create off ball screens with a ton of cuts. We don't shoot enough threes, we have the worst defense in the league in terms of other teams 3 point shooting percentage. Some of this is on the players, but some is on the scheme. 28-16 seems impossible and the season seems over. Smart trades and good coaching could put us back on track next year.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Good news for once, magic number is still 45, but now we only need 27-16 instead of 28-16. Unlikely, unrealistic, borderline impossible, but you never know.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

So 26-16 looks a lot more doable without Thibs. Not sure about Ryan, should be an interesting 2-3 weeks.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Zion tank is back on.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Another game another win. 25-16 to get to 45 wins. Kings lost tonight puts us in a 3 way tie for 9th with the Kings and Jazz. Lakers 2 games up. Wolves need to ride this momentum and get at least 1 (hopefully both) win/s Friday and Saturday.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm Another game another win. 25-16 to get to 45 wins. Kings lost tonight puts us in a 3 way tie for 9th with the Kings and Jazz. Lakers 2 games up. Wolves need to ride this momentum and get at least 1 (hopefully both) win/s Friday and Saturday.
Its gonna be rough, we will not beat Lakers out unless LeBron is gone for the year.

We need Portland or Spurs to fall off
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

morneaumvp wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm
winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm Another game another win. 25-16 to get to 45 wins. Kings lost tonight puts us in a 3 way tie for 9th with the Kings and Jazz. Lakers 2 games up. Wolves need to ride this momentum and get at least 1 (hopefully both) win/s Friday and Saturday.
Its gonna be rough, we will not beat Lakers out unless LeBron is gone for the year.

We need Portland or Spurs to fall off
LeBron gone till all star break at least. Houston is one injury to Harden away from being a lottery team. Spurs are playing great basketball, but had a bad start and could go into a skid whenever, OKC has a very tough schedule. The top is vulnerable, the problem is the bottom is dangerous as well. Jazz, Kings, Pels, Mavs, all still right there and just as hungry. The west is a powder keg and every game feels like an explosion. We simply need to keep winning tough games. Also we cannot afford to drop even one more easy one (Suns especially.)
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Let's remember, we are 16-12 since the trade...
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm Let's remember, we are 16-12 since the trade...
More importantly we are 1-0 since the exorcism ;)