Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Magic number

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
winforlose

Re: Magic number

Post by winforlose »

Well that sucks. We lost a must win game and we had every chance to win it. Poor defense, poor passing, poor shooting, and a host of silly mistakes. This one hurt. 25-15 to get to 45 wins.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

winforlose wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm Well that sucks. We lost a must win game and we had every chance to win it. Poor defense, poor passing, poor shooting, and a host of silly mistakes. This one hurt. 25-15 to get to 45 wins.
With Barea potentially being out for season, we may have lost the battle with the Mavs but won the playoff war
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm
winforlose wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm Well that sucks. We lost a must win game and we had every chance to win it. Poor defense, poor passing, poor shooting, and a host of silly mistakes. This one hurt. 25-15 to get to 45 wins.
With Barea potentially being out for season, we may have lost the battle with the Mavs but won the playoff war

I looked it up, confirmed Achilles tear. This is a big blow to the Mavs.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Can't get stops. Especially late. Don't really care at this point whether we try to fix it this year or more smartly trade off and look to fix it right next. You can't win if you can't get stops. You can ride hot lineups during the body of the game but late you need to force misses and get the board. We are the worst at it. Gotta fix it.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Well this is weird. Normally you win the first and lost the second in a back to back, but the wolves are nothing if not unorthodox. We shot 38 3s they shot 22, Pels must be drinking the wolves cool-aid. Wolves now need to go 24-15 to get to 45. Shout out to Okogie who gave Davis a shiner.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Huge win tonight against a rival in the Pels
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

winforlose wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm Well this is weird. Normally you win the first and lost the second in a back to back, but the wolves are nothing if not unorthodox. We shot 38 3s they shot 22, Pels must be drinking the wolves cool-aid. Wolves now need to go 24-15 to get to 45. Shout out to Okogie who gave Davis a shiner.
:thinking:

24-15 = 61.5%
2-1 under Saunders = 66.7%

We're on track!!!
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

2 games back from the 8th seed
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

morneaumvp wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 pm 2 games back from the 8th seed
In a normal year this would mean more. Honestly there are 14 playoff teams fighting for 8 spots. I don't think any team in the top 8 is safe if the wrong player gets injured. This is going to be a very interesting second half of the season.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

winforlose wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:08 am
In a normal year this would mean more. Honestly there are 14 playoff teams fighting for 8 spots. I don't think any team in the top 8 is safe if the wrong player gets injured. This is going to be a very interesting second half of the season.
Another year where the east has crap teams getting into the playoffs. Memphis is in 14th and would be the 8th seed in the playoffs in the east.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 pm
Another year where the east has crap teams getting into the playoffs. Memphis is in 14th and would be the 8th seed in the playoffs in the east.
Pretty much. What's worse is that the west plays itself more than it plays the east so our records would likely be better against the weaker competition that the bottom east teams face. In other words 20 wins for a western conference team is tougher to get than 20 wins for an eastern conference team.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

winforlose wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Pretty much. What's worse is that the west plays itself more than it plays the east so our records would likely be better against the weaker competition that the bottom east teams face. In other words 20 wins for a western conference team is tougher to get than 20 wins for an eastern conference team.
Yeah and I am pretty sure none of the teams are going to give up the playoff seed race and "tank" until the very last week or so. These playoffs will not come easy unless we actually galvanise and become a playoff team.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

24-14 should be the worst news in this post. Sadly the loss is like a bee sting compared to the gaping chest wound in our playoff chances thanks to a really ugly ankle sprain. I would be amazed if nothing was torn. With Tyus out indefinitely and Roco out indefinitely our odds of making the playoffs are the same as Andrew Wiggins being voted an all star this year. Our backup SG is now Anthony Tolliver, but fear not because our backup SF is Loul Deng. What could possibly go wrong.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Glen kind of chose to punt the season when they fired Thibs. Not that he was a long term solution or didn't deserve to get canned, it's just how it is. You generally don't fire your head coach and go on massive winning streaks.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 am Glen kind of chose to punt the season when they fired Thibs. Not that he was a long term solution or didn't deserve to get canned, it's just how it is. You generally don't fire your head coach and go on massive winning streaks.
Normally I would agree, but with Thibs not so sure. The truth is our depth is an illusion. We are very short on wings. Also when you figure in JFT hasn't been 100% at any point this season and Rose is a known injury liability, we are just too damn shallow. What's worse is we drafted KBD but are afraid to use him at the 3. AT and Deng cannot guard the SF, not well enough to see regular minutes in that position. Okogie is not good enough at offense yet to be a 30 minute a night go to. I love the kid and all his potential but he needs coaching and mentorship. The worst part is we won too many games to get anywhere near a top 5 pick (barring a miracle in the lottery.)
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Seventeen dollars.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

24-13 to get to 45 wins. Still possible but much less likely. We have dropped a lot of must win games, and without a healthy Roco and Jones, it looks like we will drop a few more before the month is over.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

we're a 47% win team that needs to win 65% of our remaining games to hit the 45 mark.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Keep Bob out, trade the vets, tank. The magic number is our draft spot.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:59 pm Keep Bob out, trade the vets, tank. The magic number is our draft spot.
that was the unspoken part of my post.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

23-13, we barely beat a bottom team, but at least we won it.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

22-13. I am not so sure the magic number isn't 44 or even 43 wins the way things are going in the west. Josh Okogie has flashes of greatness, including tonights win. Bayless also had a great night for us. Step up wins are huge for teams like ours, and tonight was a step up win.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

This team had to play its starters the full game two games in a row against the Phoenix Suns to beat them after getting manhandled the previous meeting. There is nothing to be gleaned when playing the Phoenix Suns.

This is a lotto bound team that will pick top 10...again.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Schedule gets alot tougher down the stretch. After the allstar break it's a gauntlet. I should maybe say mid-March onward.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

irishman89 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:28 am This team had to play its starters the full game two games in a row against the Phoenix Suns to beat them after getting manhandled the previous meeting. There is nothing to be gleaned when playing the Phoenix Suns.

This is a lotto bound team that will pick top 10...again.
Look at minutes in this game, much better than on Sunday. This team was missing 3 of 9 key rotation players including both starting and backup PGs and still won by more than 20 on the road. I do agree that Sunday was awful, and that we need tougher opponents to get a clearer picture.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:18 pm 22-13. I am not so sure the magic number isn't 44 or even 43 wins the way things are going in the west. Josh Okogie has flashes of greatness, including tonights win. Bayless also had a great night for us. Step up wins are huge for teams like ours, and tonight was a step up win.
We killed a bad team.

I don’t see how this is a “step up win”.
T_J

Post by T_J »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 am
winforlose wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:18 pm 22-13. I am not so sure the magic number isn't 44 or even 43 wins the way things are going in the west. Josh Okogie has flashes of greatness, including tonights win. Bayless also had a great night for us. Step up wins are huge for teams like ours, and tonight was a step up win.
We killed a bad team.

It was a hideous game to watch. Phoenix did not give one fuck about being there.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

We killed a bad team.

Step up in the sense that with regular rotation players out, our bench players (deep bench for Bayless and Deng,) stepped up and performed well. Especially with Rose no showing, Gorgui getting tossed after 5 mins, and Saric having a terrible night.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

winforlose wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:19 pm
We killed a bad team.

Step up in the sense that with regular rotation players out, our bench players (deep bench for Bayless and Deng,) stepped up and performed well. Especially with Rose no showing, Gorgui getting tossed after 5 mins, and Saric having a terrible night.
And they had no Ayton.

It was not a step up win.

It just wasn’t.

I’m as big a homer as anyone.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:12 pm
winforlose wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:19 pm

We killed a bad team.

And they had no Ayton.

It was not a step up win.

It just wasn’t.

I’m as big a homer as anyone.
They missed one starter and one backup. We missed 2 starters and our best backup. It was a game we no doubt should have won, but they don't win it without Bayless and Okogie stepping up..