Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Get Hoiberg

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: Get Hoiberg

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm
LordNu wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Mike Fitzgibbons son is a nuclear physicist, AND MY SON CAN EAT A CHICKEN SANDWICH!!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
We can live like KINGS!!
Where's your Lebaron?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:30 pm
LordNu wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 pm
We can live like KINGS!!
Where's your Lebaron?
I'm the no.1 son.
Herky

Post by Herky »

vikesbumeout wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:54 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm
Interesting thought.

Think he might make a good college AD?
I could see him doing that. I had heard recruiting was something he didn't like to do when he was coaching.
Well he was good at getting Juco’s Or what ever u call the jr college recruits wanting a shot at NBA.......Fred had the pedigree and connections .
That's why he went after them instead of 18 year old kids. The grind with watching games in in home visits for a year at least wasn't something he liked to do.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 am I want Joerger.

I do not want Hoiberg.

Maybe a Hoiberg GM, Joerger Coach tandem would work?
THIS
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I do not want Hoiberg.

:thinking:
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

No thanks. Bulls players didn't respect Fred. He's a good college coach. The Gophers should dump Ricky and sign Hoiberg.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

I do not want Hoiberg.

Thibs is a better GM
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm No thanks. Bulls players didn't respect Fred. He's a good college coach. The Gophers should dump Ricky and sign Hoiberg.
The Gophers need to dump Ricky period. Hoiberg is going to have WAY better offers than here.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Hoiberg as shooting coach?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:54 am
Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 am As a Bulls fan, I can tell you that Hoiberg is a mistake. He is a college coach.

It is funny that you guys take our castoffs. We loved Thibs till we hated him and when you guys got him, we said "you'll have the honeymoon and then you will come to see the same problems that we saw". And here we are.

Want to experience the same thing with Hoiberg?
I'm not leaving my Monty Williams wagon even with Hoiberg available. No chance.
yep.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:43 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm No thanks. Bulls players didn't respect Fred. He's a good college coach. The Gophers should dump Ricky and sign Hoiberg.
The Gophers need to dump Ricky period. Hoiberg is going to have WAY better offers than here.
Isn't it Richie Pitino?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/05/re ... he-wanted/
Early in his tenure as Bulls coach, Fred Hoiberg had problems with Jimmy Butler and Joakim Noah. But Butler and Noah were stubborn veterans entrenched in their ways. The thinking was Hoiberg would connect better with less-proven, more-impressionable players.

Yet, it seems Hoiberg – whom Chicago fired this week – had interpersonal problems with this younger roster, too.

Darnell Mayberry of The Athletic:

Multiple league sources said Hoiberg had lost the team, saying players no longer believed in his system and became increasingly emboldened in undermining Hoiberg’s authority.

what could Zach LaVine pull?

The answer is anything he wanted, according to a team source who said LaVine was given carte blanche by Hoiberg. Internally, there was concern players would revolt more as the season marched on.

Most publicly, LaVine waved off Hoiberg’s play call in the final moments of a loss last week. Mayberry also detailed instances of Jabari Parker and Antonio Blakeney showing up Hoiberg.

Did Hoiberg have control of the locker room? Lauri Markkanen‘s response seems telling.

There is no one right temperament for coaching in the NBA. Coaches have succeeded and failed with varying styles.

But it seems Hoiberg never found his footing. By most accounts, he’s a nice guy. But it also seemed he tried too hard to bend his personality to what he thought an NBA coach should be – and that came across as fake.

His biggest issue: He didn’t win. Players want coaches who help them flourish on the court (which comes with more money, etc.). Hoiberg never demonstrated he could be that coach.

Add his mild-mannered nature, and it was hard for him to command respect.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/fr ... berwolves/

Report: Fred Hoiberg could replace Tom Thibodeau with Timberwolves
Timberwolves president-coach Tom Thibodeau was reportedly on thin ice amid the Jimmy Butler trade saga. But since dealing Butler for Robert Covington and Dario Saric, Minnesota has gone 9-3.

Still, the Timberwolves are just 10th in the West. Even with its improved play, Minnesota could miss the playoffs in that loaded conference.

So, names potential replacements for Thibodeau are already swirling – like Fred Hoiberg, whom the Bulls fired this week.

Tom Haberstroh of NBC Sports:

A league source close to the situation told NBC Sports that Hoiberg could be a candidate to take over in Minnesota where he’d be reunited with owner Glen Taylor.

“Glen loves Fred,” the source told NBC Sports.

Hoiberg played for the Timberwolves and worked in their front office. He was reportedly a candidate to become their coach a few years ago.

Though Hoiberg wasn’t close to the biggest problem in Chicago, I wouldn’t rush to hire him. While with the Bulls, he never showed much reason to believe he’s a good NBA coach. Maybe he’d be fine in a different environment, but I would have liked to see more signs of quality coaching. NBA coaches must be more adaptable with their schemes, as it’s rarely feasible to get only players who fit well, and NBA coaches must communicate better with their players.

Plus, if the Timberwolves fire Thibodeau, they’ll also need a new front-office head. That person should have a say in picking the coach.

Still, I could see Minnesota hiring Hoiberg. The owner’s voice matters most. And when a team fires its coach, it tends to hire a replacement with a different style. The mild-mannered Hoiberg different considerably from the harsh Thibodeau.

That probably has something to do with the Bulls hiring Hoiberg to succeed Thibodeau – but look where that got them.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Dan33185 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 pm https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/fr ... berwolves/

“Glen loves Fred,” the source told NBC Sports.[/i]
This is true, it was GLen's call to give Fred the amnesty because he was trying to protect him during his heart issues. He gave him a job instantly with the FO or coaching staff - can't remember - but was reportedly always talking to Fred during this time.

With Glen at the helm, we know what we are in for.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

LordNu wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 pm
Dan33185 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 pm https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/fr ... berwolves/

“Glen loves Fred,” the source told NBC Sports.[/i]
This is true, it was GLen's call to give Fred the amnesty because he was trying to protect him during his heart issues. He gave him a job instantly with the FO or coaching staff - can't remember - but was reportedly always talking to Fred during this time.

With Glen at the helm, we know what we are in for.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Sort of off topic but the bulls just lost by like a 100.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

New coach got tough after they played like 1st graders, and Lavine called the players union to whine haha. Group texting between players about skipping practice. etc. Just immature and weak players there. Tail continues to wag the dog. Hoiberg never suffered the worst defeat in CHI history. He just got stuck with a bunch of average kids that miss games and want to blame everyone else for their failures. CHI needs to rebuild their rebuild already.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

LordNu wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm Hoiberg as shooting coach?
I would not mind this, our team right now is extremely streaky from the 3 point line
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

morneaumvp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:37 pm
I would not mind this, our team right now is extremely streaky from the 3 point line
If you think Thibbs is going to bring Hoiberg onto his staff in any way shape or form, you are fooling yourselves.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:46 pm
If you think Thibbs is going to bring Hoiberg onto his staff in any way shape or form, you are fooling yourselves.
Good point, what has Hoiberg won?

He was fired by Chicago.

He has not won in the playoffs.

Lavine and the Bulls gave up on him.

He is a bitch!

Am I doing this right Jodaaaaa? :thinking:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Fred didnt really make any waves in Chicago but it did seem like he was handcuffed by either GarPax or the players a lot of time.

I don't think we really learned much about his prospects as a NBA coach in Chicago. Maybe that he's not a breakout coach star ala Brad Stevens... that's about it.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

morneaumvp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm

He was fired by Chicago.

He is a bitch!

Hard to argue with that.

I am not hoping for Hoiberg as coach here.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:23 pm

He was fired by Chicago.

He is a bitch!

Hard to argue with that.

But you know, deep down, this is what will happen. Hoiberg is on speed dial.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

LordNu wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:38 pm

He was fired by Chicago.

He is a bitch!

Hard to argue with that.

I’m a bit scared about it, I am hoping my gut is off on this one.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

LordNu wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:38 pm

He was fired by Chicago.

He is a bitch!

Hard to argue with that.

:lol: :lol: Jodaaaamus, you need to own these predictions
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Monty Williams or Jerry Stackhouse please.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 am Monty Williams or Jerry Stackhouse please.
Stackhouse :thinking:

Where has he been coaching?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:59 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 am Monty Williams or Jerry Stackhouse please.

Currently an assistant under JB Bickerstaff in Memphis. Was the coach of Raptors G League team the 2 years prior.

I mean he has a 1/3rd the coaching experience Ryan Saunders does. And most think Ryan needs more experience.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

YBBR wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Currently an assistant under JB Bickerstaff in Memphis. Was the coach of Raptors G League team the 2 years prior.

I mean he has a 1/3rd the coaching experience Ryan Saunders does. And most think Ryan needs more experience.
Former player helps too. You'd think Jerry or Monty would keep Ryan on here as well. Stackhouse/Monty former players in their 40s I assume? Ryan is what, 32 or 33?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 am
YBBR wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Former player helps too. You'd think Jerry or Monty would keep Ryan on here as well. Stackhouse/Monty former players in their 40s I assume? Ryan is what, 32 or 33?
Yeah, but this his first year at the NBA level. I'd prefer more experience than that hopefully. He got a bump because of how well his G league team performed. But the G League is not the NBA. Probably could use more seasoning.