Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Josh Okogie's Playing Time

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Rusty Kuntz

Josh Okogie's Playing Time

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Last 2 games, 0-2, 2 DNP-CD.. Thibs needs to get this kid more playing time. Besides an injury, how can we get this kid more playing time? I get that minutes are tight with a 4 man bench rotation of Rose, Jones, Saric & Dieng.. Maybe less time for Jones? I don't care how it's done, I just want to see Okogie out there. :beer:
Rusty Kuntz

Re: Josh Okogie's Playing Time

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

We should find a trade for Tyus, I got a feeling that we won't resign him. Possibly Phoenix?
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Fire Thibs?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:14 pm Fire Thibs?
Remember when we had Fire McHale as a poster, and I think the same guy went to a game with a small sign and got booted?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

With Thibs insistence on having a 9 man rotation, and Tyus playing poorly for about a month now, try giving Okogie Tyus' minutes for at least one game, and see how it works. Rose in this scenario primarily plays all his minutes at point.

Also, shave some minutes off of Rose. To keep him available all season, he should be closer to 25 minutes, rather than 30. He will still get the occasional DNP, but the hope would be to have him still available at the end of the season. At this pace, I'm not too confident he will be available for a potential playoff push.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

The kid certainly adds a spark when he's in there and the otha playa's seem to feed off of it. For Thibs to park him on the bench is absolutely shameful.....it really is.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:13 pm We should find a trade for Tyus, I got a feeling that we won't resign him. Possibly Phoenix?
i'd give orlando a call - tyus for khem birch. we get a third center so we have another option besides gorgs - one who plays aggressive and energetic D. the magic get a more trad backup PG. seriously, their three PGs this year avg less than 10 APG combined. i think they'd listen. and yeah, birch doesn't do this regularly - but anyone remember his play against us last year? game wrecker off the bench. 12 pts, 10 boards and 4 blocks in 18 mins.

more importantly, it gets tyus out of the PG PT mess this year.

teague/rose
wiggins/okogie
covington/tolly
saric/taj
kat/dieng or birch
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

It's criminal not to try and mix things up a bit. Tolliver, Tyus, Okogie, Dieng are all good enough players to deserve minutes and not DNP-CD. So you got 11 guys to try and get in there. Teague/Dieng should be available to any team that gives you a shorter contract first of all. Next, expirings like Tyus/Tolliver/Gibson/Bayless should be available for the right deal where the Wolves maintain some flexibility (we need it as KAT's contract jumps) and perhaps picks.

The foundation is: Okogie/Wiggins/Covington/Saric/Towns -- Rose appears to have rejuvenated his career here but you still don't trust his body to hold up so you take what you can get from him and keep someone else who can step in. I think that can be Tyus but more than likely it won't be. I would think Tyus would want a fresh start at some point here.

I wouldn't play Dieng right now as long as Tolliver is on the team. I think with Tolliver, because you got two forwards who can shoot, you go to him and say things changed a bit, we'll try to find you a deal once you can be traded but you play him while he's here. That probably forces Dieng to little minutes unless KAT gets in foul trouble.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Listening to PA, he thinks there's some thing going on between OKG and Thibs. My thought is, Thibs is just doing Thibs things. You don't have to do anything to fall in or out of his favor. Okogie is like Georges-Hunt from last year in how Thibs is using him. Problem is, Okogie is actually good, and Thibs is a fool to not be giving him minutes.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 pm Listening to PA, he thinks there's some thing going on between OKG and Thibs. My thought is, Thibs is just doing Thibs things. You don't have to do anything to fall in or out of his favor. Okogie is like Georges-Hunt from last year in how Thibs is using him. Problem is, Okogie is actually good, and Thibs is a fool to not be giving him minutes.
I really think it's as simple as Thibs wanting a nine-man rotation. There were ten teams in action last night. Here's how many they had in their rotations and how many minutes their last bench guy got:

Grizzlies: 9 (Wayne Selden with 15 minutes)
Suns: 9 (Richaun Holmes with 17 minutes)
Raptors: 9 (Technically 11, but C.J. Miles and L. Brown had 5 and <1 minutes, respectively)
Heat: 10 (Derrick Jones Jr. with 6 minutes)
Pacers: 10 (TJ Leaf with 9 minutes)
Pistons: 10 (Zaza Pachulia with 17 minutes)
Hawks: 11 (Justin Anderson with 2 minutes) - Tank alert
Knicks: 11 (Kevin Knox with 16 minutes) - Tank alert

Outliers due to 32-point blowout:

Denver: 9 (Plus 5 and 3 minutes for Lydon and Akoon-Purcell late)
Lakers: 18 (Played a 10-man rotation in their previous game v. Magic - Mykhailiuk with 9 minutes)

---

Timberwolves rotation minutes leaders:

35.9 - Covington (Starter) - 14.0 PER (6th)
33.7 - Towns (Starter) - 20.8 PER (1st)
32.8 - Wiggins (Starter) - 10.8 PER (8th)
31.6 - Teague (Starter) - 14.3 PER (4th)
30.1 - Rose - 20.1 PER (2nd)
26.5 - Gibson (Starter)- 17.3 PER (3rd)
23.3 - Saric - 14.2 PER (5th)
18.3 - Jones - 10.0 PER (9th)
13.6 - Dieng - 13.7 PER (7th)

Outside looking in:

21.9 - Okogie (Stats don't match the eye test) - 8.4 PER (11th)
17.8 - Tolliver (40 percent from three) - 9.5 PER (10th)
Last edited by memyworld on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

memyworld wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 pm Listening to PA, he thinks there's some thing going on between OKG and Thibs. My thought is, Thibs is just doing Thibs things. You don't have to do anything to fall in or out of his favor. Okogie is like Georges-Hunt from last year in how Thibs is using him. Problem is, Okogie is actually good, and Thibs is a fool to not be giving him minutes.
I really think it's as simple as Thibs wanting a nine-man rotation. There were ten teams in action last night. Here's how many they had in their rotations and how many minutes their last bench guy got:

Raptors: 9 (Technically 11, but C.J. Miles and L. Brown had 5 and <1 minutes, respectively)
Hawks: 11 (Justin Anderson with 2 minutes)
Knicks: 11 (Kevin Knox with 16 minutes)

Lakers: 18 (Played a 10-man rotation in their previous game v. Magic - Mykhailiuk with 9 minutes)

---

Outside looking in:

Good research.

Had I realized Thibs was so change averse, I wouldn't have supported his hire two plus years ago. Rose has been fantastic, no doubt about it...and MAYBE that has complicated things, but Thibs is going to run him into the ground. On the one hand, a two week Rose hammy or ankle will untie Okie from the bench....OR, the guy could figure out a way to get off his asinine stance and get OK 12 hustle minutes a game.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

memyworld wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 am

Hawks: 11 (Justin Anderson with 2 minutes) - Tank alert
Knicks: 11 (Kevin Knox with 16 minutes) - Tank alert

---

Outside looking in:

This makes me sad. Timberwolves leaders in Win Shares:

.143 - Gibson
.131 - Rose (Second-lowest paid rotation player this season)
.125 - Towns
.112 - Covington
.079 - Teague
.077 - Saric
.070 - Dieng
.067 - Tolliver
.035 - Jones
-.004 - Okogie
-.006 - Wiggins (Highest paid rotation player this season)
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

I don't think Okogie is a rotation player right now. That said, he does some good things on the floor. He can be useful situationally, especially on nights where Wiggins isn't contributing. The same goes for Tolliver. Saric is a better, younger version of Tolliver, but Tolliver is still a good shooter and a good hustle guy. He shouldn't be getting perpetual DNP-CD's. There's room to play 11 guys without having an 11 man rotation.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:38 am I don't think Okogie is a rotation player right now. That said, he does some good things on the floor. He can be useful situationally, especially on nights where Wiggins isn't contributing. The same goes for Tolliver. Saric is a better, younger version of Tolliver, but Tolliver is still a good shooter and a good hustle guy. He shouldn't be getting perpetual DNP-CD's. There's room to play 11 guys without having an 11 man rotation.
I don't think it would hurt for Covington/Wiggins/Rose to give up 3-5 minutes each and that would then go to either Tolliver or Okogie. At this point, because the Wolves got Saric and you still have Gibson for the season, they should look to move Tolliver once December 15th rolls around as a favor to him. Of course if that happens someone will go down and we'll want him back. Other option is putting Okogie in g league for a bit, he needs minutes like KBD.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:47 am
beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:38 am I don't think Okogie is a rotation player right now. That said, he does some good things on the floor. He can be useful situationally, especially on nights where Wiggins isn't contributing. The same goes for Tolliver. Saric is a better, younger version of Tolliver, but Tolliver is still a good shooter and a good hustle guy. He shouldn't be getting perpetual DNP-CD's. There's room to play 11 guys without having an 11 man rotation.
I don't think it would hurt for Covington/Wiggins/Rose to give up 3-5 minutes each and that would then go to either Tolliver or Okogie. At this point, because the Wolves got Saric and you still have Gibson for the season, they should look to move Tolliver once December 15th rolls around as a favor to him. Of course if that happens someone will go down and we'll want him back. Other option is putting Okogie in g league for a bit, he needs minutes like KBD.
The Iowa Wolves have a seven-game home stand from December 27 to January 13 with an eighth game in Sioux Falls on January 16. Depending on the health of the rotation, I could see guys getting run during this stretch.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

It'd be nice if the GM would talk to the coach about getting Okie off the pine....
Reetz

Post by Reetz »

Loved Okogie getting on the floor tonight and he showed his explosive, defensive self with an offensive 3 point shot but the alarming wait a minute I see thibs a little at what your doing with him is flat out the personal fouls/kinda playing with too much outward energy. I still take him playing every game but I'm slowing my roll cause his positive energy isn't always going to be positive night in and night out but I think he gets it and just need to find his roll with expanded playing time
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

There’s time for him to be the 4th wing in the rotation.
Wig-Cov-Rose-Josh

10-15 mins a night easily and if he’s hot, you keep rolling him. If he’s cold, you can ride the starters long.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?