Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Are you Rooting for a Playoff Berth?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want a Playoff Berth?

Yes, it's a new chapter and we can continue this positive progress
90%
No, if it means getting a new coach, I rather lose this year and be mediocre
10%

Total votes: 20

UnFadeable21

Are you Rooting for a Playoff Berth?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

If you are, then you should know that would save Thib's and Layden's jobs for another season.

I am rooting for a playoff berth because we need to continue to change our culture of losing. After breaking the playoff drought of 14 years, that was the step in a right direction. We were a 3rd seed before Jimmy got hurt. We added two very capable players who can impact the floor now and still have potential to improve. This team has talent, defense, shooting, size, no real weaknesses.

Teague/Tyus
Wiggins/Rose/Okogie
Covington/Tolliver
Taj/Saric
Kat/Gorgi

In conclusion, if two consecutive seasons of playoff basketball means Thib's stays for a 3rd season, so be it.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Are you Rooting for a Playoff Berth?

Post by RubeTube »

Yes. It would be different with the Vikings etc but this team has sucked pretty much it's whole existence and it's never lead to anything of worth.

From failed draft pick after draft pick to finally getting a good young core and trading them away and right back to square one. You don't have to worry "If we should tank" This organization is bad enough where they don't have to try.

They are not getting close to the playoffs this year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dickface McSlapnuts

Post by Dickface McSlapnuts »

I don’t know what to think anymore.

I’m just sad.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 pm Yes. It would be different with the Vikings etc but this team has sucked pretty much it's whole existence and it's never lead to anything of worth.

From failed draft pick after draft pick to finally getting a good young core and trading them away and right back to square one. You don't have to worry "If we should tank" This organization is bad enough where they don't have to try.

Next 4 games are at home and we play very well at home. Let's say we win 3 and lose 1. We will be 8-10. Chip away and go on a run. I think you will see Towns and Wigs take over more as well as the team as a whole.

Playoffs are a very real chance.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

What else would I be cheering for? As much as I want to draft a legit future AS PG, the playoffs is what we really need.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 pm Yes. It would be different with the Vikings etc but this team has sucked pretty much it's whole existence and it's never lead to anything of worth.

Next 4 games are at home and we play very well at home. Let's say we win 3 and lose 1. We will be 8-10. Chip away and go on a run. I think you will see Towns and Wigs take over more as well as the team as a whole.

Glad you are positive and I hope they do but I don't see it at all. I've got 32 wins.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ItsGameOvrMan

Post by ItsGameOvrMan »

Being in the playoffs is alway better than not being in the playoffs.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:21 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Glad you are positive and I hope they do but I don't see it at all. I've got 32 wins.
We have a top 15 player in Towns, we have defense with Cov and Taj, we have shooting with Dario and AT. We have 3 ball handlers in Teague, Rose, and Tyus. Still have Wiggins scoring and Okogie making plays.

Season is still young. The young guys have a lot to prove and Thibs is coaching for his life.
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

If we make the playoffs with this squad it means Thibs is doing something right, and the kids are growing up. So ya, I'm ok with Thibs hanging around if he's doing a good job. There was a reason I was excited to get him in the first place....That said, I don't like our chances.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

I still believe Thibs can't coach his way out of a paper bag. It's the players that will win this with zero contribution from the coach. Guy can't manage players or matchups. He's a guy that just plays his favorites and let's them go. He's not a good head coach.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Glen said in his interview today that the goal is to make the playoffs and that Thibs and Layden know that.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 pm What else would I be cheering for? As much as I want to draft a legit future AS PG, the playoffs is what we really need.
Some people want Thibs gone no matter what so losing would cause that.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Wonder how many teams make the playoffs starting 5-9. It's not like we lost KG for a few weeks and will go 20-4 when he comes back.

This is going to be tough.

But you always root for the playoffs unless you are in complete rebuild mode.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 pm What else would I be cheering for? As much as I want to draft a legit future AS PG, the playoffs is what we really need.
Some people want Thibs gone no matter what so losing would cause that.
If Taylor and Thibs don't have any bad blood after all this crap with Butler, it won't matter if they make the playoffs or not. Thibs will be back as long as the relationship isn't strained.

Taylor won't want to pay him to do nothing.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Yes keep moving forward I'm sick of not making the playoffs.
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

Naturally, I have to after too many seasons of losing. That being said, an 8 seed won’t save thibs job and I think glen gives him the axe at the end of the season. All the players (or potential trades) are in place to grow under new management
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Yes I want to make the playoffs and yes Thibs should be fired after the season even if they do. During the season if the record stays bad.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

If this team made the playoffs it would be a huge step in the right direction for Karl and Wiggins likely. Rose continues his play, Okogie continues his play etc...

I dont know how you can't root for that, it also means our young core is clearly going in the right direction. Playoffs all the way.

That said, I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I would love them to. Also I've been wrong plenty before, maybe Covington and Saric are exactly what we need. Here's hoping.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

If they can crack .500, I think that would be a success.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

No. I want the lottery pick preferably top 5.

I’d like to see them compete and play well as a team tho but Thibs needs to go. Need a new voice, coaching staff and front office. Clean slate.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

I see this as a 30-36 win team. It would be amazing to see them make the playoffs. That would mean Towns took the next step. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening for a couple more years.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Yes....I am.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

digitalwolf wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 pm Yes....I am.
yep. rooting for an extended run too. why not?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 pm Yes....I am.
yep. rooting for an extended run too. why not?
Of course but let's see where we are at the deadline. That's when we will be making the call whether we can see and extended run or we are 8th seed at best and looking to sell of some expirings that help us in the future.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

You all know how much I Love Thibbs.

I wanted the Butler chapter/drama DONE, so them not winning was what needed to happen. It was also a real eye opening kick in the balls to Thibbs, which he really needed.

If they catch fire and play team ball, are fun to watch and look like they actually have a future.......hell, Thibbs is doing something right and I don’t care if he stays.

If he can’t get this group to play like it did in the 1st half yesterday more often than not, continues not to include people on the bench that could help make the team better, and yells “CUTTERS” every damn offensive possession, and can’t bring this team together - then I will continue to wish him gone!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup: