Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Start Taj or Saric?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Start who?

Saric
83%
Taj
17%

Total votes: 29

kilkenny

Start Taj or Saric?

Post by kilkenny »

Just curious what the fans think.

I'd be afraid of a Towns/Saric frontcourt on defense, but on offense Saric would open the middle more for Towns. Right now guys are crowding the paint on Towns. Taj is a good player but he doesn't fit with KAT on either end. He's not a big shot blocker that we need and he is a close to the basket offensive player. I cringe when he's getting a pass on the perimeter.

What think you?
mlhouse

Re: Start Taj or Saric?

Post by mlhouse »

Saric.

I think Taj is a good player and might be a better defender overall than Saric, but Saric is possibly a better defender against a lot of 4's in this league than Gibson. I also think that Gibson can play a better role as the guy setting screens on the "2nd team" offense than being the lane clogger he is with the starters.

I would not be adverse to Thibs also playing some matchups and playing the appropriate defender. Saric plays against the more perimeter orientated 4s and Gibson otherwise, even if that means swapping out who starts.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:42 am Saric.

I think Taj is a good player and might be a better defender overall than Saric, but Saric is possibly a better defender against a lot of 4's in this league than Gibson. I also think that Gibson can play a better role as the guy setting screens on the "2nd team" offense than being the lane clogger he is with the starters.

I would not be adverse to Thibs also playing some matchups and playing the appropriate defender. Saric plays against the more perimeter orientated 4s and Gibson otherwise, even if that means swapping out who starts.
the matchup comment is spot on, in my opinion....but that would require flexibility by our beloved coach. And that ain't his strong suit. :punch:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Shoukd be matchup dependent but like others have said, thibs is a slob so that probably won't happen.

I would start Taj. Saric isn't very good.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Saric. He's on the clock now for a new deal. You have to know what you have with him. Taj won't be here beyond this season and probably should be trade bait if they're not going to get into the playoffs.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Saric... I am convinced defense will never be a priority for these knuckleheads. Let them score 150 and hope the other team only scores 149
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Saric 100%. I actually think Saric is a good fit for where this team is at. Taj is a superior defender but worse offensively. We lost a creator in Jimmy and Saric is surprisingly good with the ball in his hands. I hope because he is such a willing passer and shooter that the kids on the team will learn to cut. I feel like we rarely have cutters and avoid easy buckets at all times.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

I say we alternate starters based on the match-up.

Against Memphis I'd start saric and go after whoever Marc Gasol isn't guarding.

Against Detroit I'd start Taj try to shut down the elite griffin/drummon duo and let towns kick drummonds ass on offense.

Either way, our bench will feature teague/rose along with taj/saric and those 2 will be going HAM on suckers.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

I'd give it a try with Saric. If the team's fully healthy, that lets Taj and Rose run the second unit.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

It's obviously Saric but you know Thibs will go with Taj.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

memyworld wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 pm I'd give it a try with Saric. If the team's fully healthy, that lets Taj and Rose run the second unit.
THIS
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Stork311 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:50 am

the matchup comment is spot on, in my opinion....but that would require flexibility by our beloved coach. And that ain't his strong suit. :punch:
He almost refuses to matchup or to FORCE matchup problems on the other team. He follows a time schedule rotation that is basically the same every game. I thik that hurt us in the Rockets series. I think it hurts us in the 2nd half.

Minnesota should have been able to make many of hte teams in the NBA struggle to match up with them with Butler. But we never really did.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I am hoping that Saric can be a more creative Danilo Gallinari.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Taj

He hasn’t done anything to warrant getting benched and he’s been our most consistent defender.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Saric by a mile. I love Taj, but he averages about as many assists as Bazz. We need ball movement, tempo, and shooting/spacing with the starters.

Oh, plus this is a rebuild at this point. Trade Taj, and see what we have with the kids going forward.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

If you think you are going to keep playing for a playoff spot, Taj. If you are going full out fuck it mode, Saric.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:19 pm If you think you are going to keep playing for a playoff spot, Taj. If you are going full out fuck it mode, Saric.
:lol:

GP GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
10 10 32.9 5.9-14.0 .421 2.0-5.2 .385 3.4-4.0 .850 3.2 4.1 7.3 3.5 0.4 1.0 2.8 1.5 17.2
5 5 24.6 2.8-4.4 .636 0.0-0.0 .000 0.6-0.6 1.000 1.4 2.6 4.0 0.4 0.4 0.2 1.6 0.8 6.2

I know, hard to read, but come on.... Saric had a way better postseason than Taj last year.

So what was that you were saying?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:19 pm If you think you are going to keep playing for a playoff spot, Taj. If you are going full out fuck it mode, Saric.

GP GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
10 10 32.9 5.9-14.0 .421 2.0-5.2 .385 3.4-4.0 .850 3.2 4.1 7.3 3.5 0.4 1.0 2.8 1.5 17.2
5 5 24.6 2.8-4.4 .636 0.0-0.0 .000 0.6-0.6 1.000 1.4 2.6 4.0 0.4 0.4 0.2 1.6 0.8 6.2

I know, hard to read, but come on.... Saric had a way better postseason than Taj last year.

So what was that you were saying?
Saric isn't on the same team though.. Towns/Saric combo will be brutal defensively. Embiid can play D.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Saric.

Gotsta see what you got.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I'm a little surprised NBA execs don't use more match-up analytics a la MLB. I get the Wolves should to to KAT no matter what and they can get match ups by running particular sets, but line ups should be based more on opponent than they are.
Ketchup can be nuancy
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm a little surprised NBA execs don't use more match-up analytics a la MLB. I get the Wolves should to to KAT no matter what and they can get match ups by running particular sets, but line ups should be based more on opponent than they are.
So Wiggins would only start against Cleveland? Or is that fire going away with him?
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:22 pm
Nancy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pm

So Wiggins would only start against Cleveland? Or is that fire going away with him?
Seriously, if the opposing team's best scorer is a SG, then start Okogie and deny or try to get the guy off his game. If Wigs doesn't like it, play more D. If a team has a plodder at the 4 or likes to help on KAT, start Saric. If Tyus was a better defender, I'd be open to PG being opponent-dependent too.
Ketchup can be nuancy
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Saric said he wants to start.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Seriously, if the opposing team's best scorer is a SG, then start Okogie and deny or try to get the guy off his game. If Wigs doesn't like it, play more D. If a team has a plodder at the 4 or likes to help on KAT, start Saric. If Tyus was a better defender, I'd be open to PG being opponent-dependent too.
I would be intererested to see a breakdown of line ups between Thibs and other coaches. Thibs is so adverse to change it is maddening...but how much do the Boston's/Houstons/Bucks for example work the match ups. Ask Not, I think your on to somethin here....just another pin in the Thibs doll.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I can live with what Wiggins is doing on defense... I can't live with what he's not doing on offense. Brutal. Coach needs to get him more rest too. Keep those legs fresh... I hope this isn't the start of breaking down.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm
Nancy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I can live with what Wiggins is doing on defense... I can't live with what he's not doing on offense. Brutal. Coach needs to get him more rest too. Keep those legs fresh... I hope this isn't the start of breaking down.
You can live with his lazy ass attempt to defend? Start of the 3rd quarter last night and the dude just sat on the baseline while Towns guy ran past him. Wiggins should have stepped up and gotten in that lane but he just sat there. Jim Peterson was even all over him. It's infuriating! Maddening! Frustrating!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:52 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm
Nancy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

You can live with his lazy ass attempt to defend? Start of the 3rd quarter last night and the dude just sat on the baseline while Towns guy ran past him. Wiggins should have stepped up and gotten in that lane but he just sat there. Jim Peterson was even all over him. It's infuriating! Maddening! Frustrating!
I switched over to the Gophers during the 3rd quarter. BOOM.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Saric should be our present and our future. Taj is a great player for what he is but he's no solution long term, the future is now.

Won't happen but you can hope.

3 pt shooting starting lineup with Saric and Covington. Cheated with Teague and Saric as they have started slow, have to assume they will trend towards their career averages.
Teague 35% career
Wiggins 41% season
Covington 39% season
Saric 35% career
Towns 42% season

Rose
Okogie
Tolliver
Taj
Dieng

On paper, that's a nice bench. Bunch of grinders.
witljon

Post by witljon »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm Saric said he wants to start.
We probably don't have any players that don't.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Start Saric as we should have started Belly.

To many geniuses here thought Belly could/should never do that including this shitheaded coach. Timberwolves would have been a better team if they had.

Don’t make the same stupid mistake twice.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup: