Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Which Trade Deal Did You Prefer?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Which Offer Was the Best?

Miami Heat
45%
Houston Rockets
12%
Philly Sixers
42%

Total votes: 33

UnFadeable21

Which Trade Deal Did You Prefer?

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Some people are happy with the package we got in return.

Some people are angry with it saying we traded an all star for two role players.

Out of the 3 confirmed packages that the wolves received for Jimmy Butler, which package was the best in your opinion?

Miami Heat - Josh Richardson 3 years 30 Million, Dion Waiters 3 years 36 million, Protected First Round Pick

Houston Rockets - Brandon Knight 2 years 30 million, Marquess Chriss expiring, 2019, 2021, 2023, 2025 First round pick

Philly Sixers - Robert Covington 4 years 46 Million, Dario Saric 2 years 6 million + RFA rights, Jared Bayless Expiring, 2022 Second round pick
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Thrillkill

Re: Which Trade Deal Did You Prefer?

Post by Thrillkill »

Heat and nothing else is a close fifth.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

I’m going with the one that actually happened and is allowing the team to move on. No sleep lost.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Would have preferred not trading for Buckets in the first place....whaddaya think about THAT?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Miami deal by far, but the deal we got was decent.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 pm Would have preferred not trading for Buckets in the first place....whaddaya think about THAT?!
No way. The negativity around the team and this town was swallowing the organization and fan base whole.

5 game losing streak and Butler choosing when he wants to play. That clown show had to end.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:06 pm Miami deal by far, but the deal we got was decent.
I don’t feel like people are understanding this point as well as they should.

Thibs seriously fucked us over by not taking Richardson.

He was the best player we could get, the best age fit, the best positional fit, etc.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Did not want Waiters! But JRich was bpa.

Because of such a negative in Waiters I think philly was still the best deal. Saric could be our 4 for 10 years. Covington is no slouch either.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

mglviks wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 pm Did not want Waiters! But JRich was bpa.

Because of such a negative in Waiters I think philly was still the best deal. Saric could be our 4 for 10 years. Covington is no slouch either.
You would’ve gotten the pick to move Waiters or Dieng.

Thibs got greedy.

Now we got a second round pick instead of a first and two good players instead of one already very good player and on his way up.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I don't think any team is taking Waiters for a 1st round pick. 3 years and 36 million is a lot of money and years left on the books.

No team was willing to take the Gorgi contract for a 1st round pick.

JRich is the best player in all the packages but Waiters is a non-starter for me.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Lol. Of course people like this Sixers deal. Wrapped turds. Miami was preferable here.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:27 pm
Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 pm Would have preferred not trading for Buckets in the first place....whaddaya think about THAT?!
No way. The negativity around the team and this town was swallowing the organization and fan base whole.

5 game losing streak and Butler choosing when he wants to play. That clown show had to end.
I don't think you read my post carefully enough!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

I can’t believe Thibs wouldn’t take on Waiters 3/36mil for a young All Star like Richardson. This will haunt us.
j2j

Post by j2j »

The Philly deal is the only one that doesn't have a massive negative attached.

Josh Richardson is nice, but how much of him is just high volume on a bad team? Dion Waiters is grosser than gross.

Chriss is nothing. Knight is 2 years of dead salary. The kid is a trainwreck and when will he ever play again?

End of the day I like the Philly trade, but we need to make other moves for the good of the future.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:20 am I can’t believe Thibs wouldn’t take on Waiters 3/36mil for a young All Star like Richardson. This will haunt us.
I look forward to hearing details on what happened with Miami. Taylor will spill it all eventually.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I am gladly taking our deal. When this all came out I said I wanted Philly to make an offer. People are highly underrating Saric... He is 24 and going to be a very good offensive player for a long time. He is limited on defense but he hustles his ass off and teammates seem to love him.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:49 am
larryhagmansliver wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:20 am I can’t believe Thibs wouldn’t take on Waiters 3/36mil for a young All Star like Richardson. This will haunt us.
I look forward to hearing details on what happened with Miami. Taylor will spill it all eventually.
You heard it both ways. But it was ESPN reporting it was Thibs turning it down but for some reason they seemed to be driving the bus for Butler. Especially Woj and Nichols. It was either CBS or Yahoo guy who reported it was Taylor asking them to take extra salary (Dieng) The fact that it then is reported down the line that teams are saying we are still insisting on Dieng being part of any deal seems to back it. Of course then we did on without him. So who the hell knows.

Whichever one actually owns up to it should get the fuck out of my state quick.
larryhagmansliver

Well I was being facetious... But yeah it will be interesting to hear what the concrete offers were across the league.

Based on rumours I think the talent we received was the best offer on the table.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:18 am
You heard it both ways. But it was ESPN reporting it was Thibs turning it down but for some reason they seemed to be driving the bus for Butler. Especially Woj and Nichols. It was either CBS or Yahoo guy who reported it was Taylor asking them to take extra salary (Dieng) The fact that it then is reported down the line that teams are saying we are still insisting on Dieng being part of any deal seems to back it. Of course then we did on without him. So who the hell knows.

Woj has a reputation of trying to make teams look bad that dont share info with him, and Thibs is notoriously tight lipped, so I'd take any Woj reports with a grain of salt.

T_J

Post by T_J »

I appear to be alone based on the poll, but I wanted the Houston deal.

The deal we got keeps us mediocre. Everyone wants Thibs fired, does that happen if we win 35 games this year? I just don't get it I guess.
larryhagmansliver

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am

Woj has a reputation of trying to make teams look bad that dont share info with him, and Thibs is notoriously tight lipped, so I'd take any Woj reports with a grain of salt.
I still don't see how turning down Richardson, a late first and Waiters 3/36 makes the team look bad? The Woj story is all over the place, barely passes the test for journalism.
j2j

Post by j2j »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 am

I still don't see how turning down Richardson, a late first and Waiters 3/36 makes the team look bad? The Woj story is all over the place, barely passes the test for journalism.
I'd say it's more about the further disconnect between owner and front office. Make the team look even worse, though not sure how that's even possible at this point.

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Waiters sucks and I didn't want to take that contract but why are froobs so against it if it meant getting J Rich?

You do understand nobody ever comes here all that great from FA right? Everybody has always been so worried here on cap space. What's the team ever really done with it?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

I have always said that what you hear about Thibs, especially from local guys is crap because he won't talk to them. Makes me thing Woj sources are pissed off locals that want him gone. The one local guy I saw something from was from Mia's and he said the last minute pull out was not Thibs insisting on more it was Taylor insisting they take more money.

Why is it we always seem to be having who is worse, or who is stupider, or who fucked up more, conversations about the Wolves.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am Waiters sucks and I didn't want to take that contract but why are froobs so against it if it meant getting J Rich?

You do understand nobody ever comes here all that great from FA right? Everybody has always been so worried here on cap space. What's the team ever really done with it?
Name all the people saying we won this trade. Oh wait, they are saying we got killed? Wonder why. Maybe because in the NBA whoever gets the big time player wins?

Richardson is putting up Butler numbers while paid half and much and 5 years younger. We got 2 10 point scorers and a 2nd in 4 years.
larryhagmansliver

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:36 am
larryhagmansliver wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 am

I'd say it's more about the further disconnect between owner and front office. Make the team look even worse, though not sure how that's even possible at this point.
But it is a narrative created by Woj and chums. We heard rumours about Taylor at the owners meeting, he then gave an interview early in the process and then nothing has leaked from the Wolves. Everything else has come from Woj, agents and other teams. Now I'm not suggesting the Wolves management situation is not rotten from the top down, but Woj and his sources have an agenda, and it would seem that agenda has morphed into fact.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am Waiters sucks and I didn't want to take that contract but why are froobs so against it if it meant getting J Rich?

Name all the people saying we won this trade. Oh wait, they are saying we got killed? Wonder why. Maybe because in the NBA whoever gets the big time player wins?

Richardson is putting up Butler numbers while paid half and much and 5 years younger. We got 2 10 point scorers and a 2nd in 4 years.
Agreed.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

I still think one of the lesser-discussed problems plaguing the Wolves chemistry is usage. Before the trade, four of the five Wolves starters needed the ball to be effective. With the Philly package, the Wolves can reduce that to three of the four starters (assuming Teague's healthy). In the Miami package, you plod on with four ball-dominate starters and actually create more problems on the bench, because you'd have Rose and Waiters attempting to share the ball.

Assuming everyone's healthy, the Wolves could actually move Gibson to the bench with Rose where they actually have good chemistry and spread the floor wide open with Teague, Wiggins (who now gets to play the two-guard where he's been more effective), Covington, Saric (assuming he gets back on track from three), and Towns.

Richardson may have been the best player on the table in trade discussions, but sometimes it's not the right move for chemistry. And who knows, maybe he's not the same player away from Erik Spoelstra.

---

j2j

Post by j2j »

I think Josh Richardson is being a bit overrated due to being a high usage player on a bad team. He's not bad, I'd take him, but I dont think he's as great as being pimped around here.

Considering our team, I think we got the better deal.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am I think Josh Richardson is being a bit overrated due to being a high usage player on a bad team. He's not bad, I'd take him, but I dont think he's as great as being pimped around here.

Considering our team, I think we got the better deal.
Considering our team of Towns, Wigs, and Okogie? Because that is essentially our team before the deal. The minute we move on from Butler we are right back in talent acquisition mode. Right back in dump older player mode. Right back in closer to the floor than the cap mode. Tank mode. Lotto mode. Oh, guess I could have ust said Wolves mode.

There is no such thing as fit anymore. Best player we can get. And we missed on that by a mile. Miles and miles.