Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Which Trade Deal Did You Prefer?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Which Offer Was the Best?

Miami Heat
45%
Houston Rockets
12%
Philly Sixers
42%

Total votes: 33

j2j

Re: Which Trade Deal Did You Prefer?

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:47 am
j2j wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am I think Josh Richardson is being a bit overrated due to being a high usage player on a bad team. He's not bad, I'd take him, but I dont think he's as great as being pimped around here.

Considering our team, I think we got the better deal.
Considering our team of Towns, Wigs, and Okogie? Because that is essentially our team before the deal. The minute we move on from Butler we are right back in talent acquisition mode. Right back in dump older player mode. Right back in closer to the floor than the cap mode. Tank mode. Lotto mode. Oh, guess I could have ust said Wolves mode.

There is no such thing as fit anymore. Best player we can get. And we missed on that by a mile. Miles and miles.
Like I said, overrated.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Hornets wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:27 pm
Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 pm Would have preferred not trading for Buckets in the first place....whaddaya think about THAT?!
No way. The negativity around the team and this town was swallowing the organization and fan base whole.

5 game losing streak and Butler choosing when he wants to play. That clown show had to end.
I don't think you read my post carefully enough!
Indeed
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Everyone seems to be hitting my thoughts pretty well. JRich is clearly the single best player that was bandied about. But, Thibs is a dick, thought he could get more, and fucked that up. Pat Reilly isn't going to put up with that kind of bullshit, and Thibs should have known that, having been around the league for 30 years.

That said, Waiters is a mess. He would not have been a good presence here. They would have ended up having to buy him out and stretch him to get rid of him. He would never have coexisted here for another 2 years after this one. So, take that into account. The protected 1st could have ended up being OK, but would have been a mid-teens pick, at best, and wouldn't have been a difference maker.

The Philly deal gives the Wolves two rotation players. Covington isn't a special player, but he's a decent shooter and a really good wing defender. He brings back some much-needed toughness. Saric has struggled this year, but played well last season, and is a good fit on this roster. He stretches the floor, is an OK defensive player generally, and is a good playmaker for a 4. He's not perfect, but he improves our depth immediately either by being a good 6th man or by allowing Gibson to slide to the bench.

No deal was going to account for Butler's true value. His antics made sure of that. I thought they did OK with the deal they got. The next step is to fire Thibs. He needs to go now before he can wreck this team any more than he already has.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am I think Josh Richardson is being a bit overrated due to being a high usage player on a bad team. He's not bad, I'd take him, but I dont think he's as great as being pimped around here.

I agree with the first part at least. The one thing I would have liked about Josh Richardson is that he gives us at least a bit of passing and ball handling at our 2/3 positions.
Last edited by zeitgeist on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 am
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:47 am

Considering our team of Towns, Wigs, and Okogie? Because that is essentially our team before the deal. The minute we move on from Butler we are right back in talent acquisition mode. Right back in dump older player mode. Right back in closer to the floor than the cap mode. Tank mode. Lotto mode. Oh, guess I could have ust said Wolves mode.

There is no such thing as fit anymore. Best player we can get. And we missed on that by a mile. Miles and miles.
Like I said, overrated.
Richardson is miles and miles ahead of Covington and Saric.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

TrueBlue wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:58 am If those are the final offers, I take what we took.

Waiters for 3 years is not a good thing.
All 3 of these deals were confirmed

Miami Heat deal was when Wolves exchanges medical and were about to trade a month ago. But Thibs asked for one more first round pick so the Heat balked - via Miami Herald

Houston deal confirmed by a woj

Philly deal because we did it
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Pelicans offer was Mirotic, filler and an unprotected first.
Rockets was Gordon, Nene and two first rounders.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am Waiters sucks and I didn't want to take that contract but why are froobs so against it if it meant getting J Rich?

You do understand nobody ever comes here all that great from FA right? Everybody has always been so worried here on cap space. What's the team ever really done with it?
Name all the people saying we won this trade. Oh wait, they are saying we got killed? Wonder why. Maybe because in the NBA whoever gets the big time player wins?

Richardson is putting up Butler numbers while paid half and much and 5 years younger. We got 2 10 point scorers and a 2nd in 4 years.

Now I know I'm not going to change your mind, because I can already see that this is a bone you are not gonna give up until you're dragged out back and are ol' yellowed, but for the good of your blood pressure...

Richardson is not as good as you think he is. With a cursory glance, the numbers may look good, but delve any deeper and it is plain to see that the guy just a decent player.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am Waiters sucks and I didn't want to take that contract but why are froobs so against it if it meant getting J Rich?

You do understand nobody ever comes here all that great from FA right? Everybody has always been so worried here on cap space. What's the team ever really done with it?
Name all the people saying we won this trade. Oh wait, they are saying we got killed? Wonder why. Maybe because in the NBA whoever gets the big time player wins?

Richardson is putting up Butler numbers while paid half and much and 5 years younger. We got 2 10 point scorers and a 2nd in 4 years.

Now I know I'm not going to change your mind, because I can already see that this is a bone you are not gonna give up until you're dragged out back and are ol' yellowed, but for the good of your blood pressure...

Richardson is not as good as you think he is. With a cursory glance, the numbers may look good, but delve any deeper and it is plain to see that the guy just a decent player.
Not sure why Larry, but that 1st paragraph really made me laugh! LOVE IT! Ol' Yellowed..... :lol:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 pm

We are certainly going to find out. I'm not a thread bumper so just remember what you said. I will.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:36 pm Pelicans offer was Mirotic, filler and an unprotected first.
NOP might not have been bad as they have gone off a cliff recently and Mirotic could have easily been flipped for a pick. But again all deals need to be looked at from the perspective of Taylor won't spend space gained and will probably sell extra picks to pay off Thibs.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:00 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:36 pm Pelicans offer was Mirotic, filler and an unprotected first.
NOP might not have been bad as they have gone off a cliff recently and Mirotic could have easily been flipped for a pick. But again all deals need to be looked at from the perspective of Taylor won't spend space gained and will probably sell extra picks to pay off Thibs.
Easily slide Randle into the starting lineup with Butler, Davis, Holiday.... pretty good. Not enough though, IMO. The pick could have been nice assuming the Pelicans are in the early 20s with Butler? Still think you needed a starting wing in any deal.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:04 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:00 pm
Easily slide Randle into the starting lineup with Butler, Davis, Holiday.... pretty good. Not enough though, IMO. The pick could have been nice assuming the Pelicans are in the early 20s with Butler? Still think you needed a starting wing in any deal.
Once Richardson was out I never saw anything that would make me think about this year. Covington is young enough and low paid enough to be part of the plan going forward. Saric to me is still a him or AT deal and you trade whichever brings back most. Considering what Mirotic did to NOP once he got there last year you could get a nice piece trading him to a contender. Imagine what Philly would pony up for him. Like maybe some of the shit we should have already got in this deal?

Gotta tell you that this whole shit has really fucked basketball for me. I love the trade/draft/sign shit. But what an utter waste of time it is when you know Taylor will either throw away assets or just sell them. This move is made. It's rebuild time. Every guy but 5 should be considered for trade. But then you have to look at the fact that it's Taylor making trades no so you get .50 on the dollar at best and more likely nothing except extra cash for his grave.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

The best deal would have been to move immediately and end up with DeRozan before SA did. It would have been easy and the start of the season would have been much different. Waiting made the team open to slaughter from all angles for weeks.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

irishman89 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:33 pm The best deal would have been to move immediately and end up with DeRozan before SA did. It would have been easy and the start of the season would have been much different. Waiting made the team open to slaughter from all angles for weeks.
Kawhi >>>> Butler. Why would Toronto have done that?
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I'm saying before Leonard was even known to be on the market...Reports have this Butler demand coming months and months ago and ignored for months and months so who knows what the hell the timeline could have been.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

irishman89 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:39 pm I'm saying before Leonard was even known to be on the market...Reports have this Butler demand coming months and months ago and ignored for months and months so who knows what the hell the timeline could have been.
Rumors were out there in the spring that Leonard wanted out. Not sure your timeline would have matched up there.
salamander

Post by salamander »

When it comes to basketball, I take best player 100% of the time.
Maimi was the best deal.

We currently do not have a great player on this roster. We currently do not have a player on this roster who has the potential to be great.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

salamander wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 am When it comes to basketball, I take best player 100% of the time.
Maimi was the best deal.

We currently do not have a great player on this roster. We currently do not have a player on this roster who has the potential to be great.
This Sixers deal I wanted least for the Wolves. The Hou trade would of been poor too.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

The Miami Heat at full strength minus Wade lost to the Sixers last night with no Cov, Saric, or Butler.

JRich is nice but he’s not a game changer
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:56 pm Some people are happy with the package we got in return.

Some people are angry with it saying we traded an all star for two role players.

Out of the 3 confirmed packages that the wolves received for Jimmy Butler, which package was the best in your opinion?

Miami Heat - Josh Richardson 3 years 30 Million, Dion Waiters 3 years 36 million, Protected First Round Pick

Houston Rockets - Brandon Knight 2 years 30 million, Marquess Chriss expiring, 2019, 2021, 2023, 2025 First round pick

Philly Sixers - Robert Covington 4 years 46 Million, Dario Saric 2 years 6 million + RFA rights, Jared Bayless Expiring, 2022 Second round pick
The problem with this is that the only "confirmed" package was the Sixers. Further, the Rockets proposal might be the best, but who knows in reality what the protections were on those picks. Clearly the timeframe on them was the worst, but if the 2025 pick was protected, or really narrowly protected (like 1-3), who knows. IF all of those were lottery protected then that deal sucked. If there was a chance to get high lottery picks then it was the best.

I think RIchardson was by far the best asset available and I probably go that route but that deal evaporated.

So, teh Sixers deal was pretty good!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Brooklyn now.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 amBrooklyn now.
What was Brooklyn's again?
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Decker23 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:04 am
Expiring contracts of Russel and RHJ.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:23 am
At the time, that would have been a disaster.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:14 pm

I thought so too. In hindsight.....
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm
Nets wanted no part of the deal I thought. They are the ones who said they were out and not interested if I recall.

I DID like this deal because of the potential of D Russ. This team needs a PG. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't pounding the tables for it but it was better than the turd sandwich we got back. I would trade RoCo and Saric for D Russ alone.

Miami was the partner we should of struck a deal with. I also hated the Houston offer but seeing how poor of shape this team is in right now, I would much rather have all those picks imo.

Saric doesn't really have any value imo and if you wouldn't take 4 first rounders for RoCo, you are out cha mind.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Nets wanted no part of the deal I thought. They are the ones who said they were out and not interested if I recall.

I DID like this deal because of the potential of D Russ. This team needs a PG. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't pounding the tables for it but it was better than the turd sandwich we got back. I would trade RoCo and Saric for D Russ alone.

Miami was the partner we should of struck a deal with. I also hated the Houston offer but seeing how poor of shape this team is in right now, I would much rather have all those picks imo.

Saric doesn't really have any value imo and if you wouldn't take 4 first rounders for RoCo, you are out cha mind.
Wolves wanted Levert, they offered expiring contracts which included Russell.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Wolves wanted Levert, they offered expiring contracts which included Russell.
Well the Nets said they didn't offer anything. Hard to know as they obviously are not going to say. I know it was reported they wanted Levert. https://nypost.com/2018/11/12/how-far-t ... my-butler/

Either way, Thibs pissed all trade partners off and we ended up will crap. I hate the trade that was made and ive been bitching about it since day one.

You simply could not trade him for that after all the young pieces you gave up. You at the very least needed a guy with some kind of potential to be really good.

I wouldn't of bitched if they got Fultz. He may never turn into anything but there's that hope.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm Wolves wanted Levert, they offered expiring contracts which included Russell.
This makes me sad. Can we bump any of those threads? I wonder what I said...? I was very high on D.Russell in that draft. I was indifferent on Towns/Okafor, but I believe I said Russell would be a 'sneaky' pick.

How cool was that when Brooklyn fans were chanting - "Thank - You - Ma-Gic" the other week? :drinky:
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan