Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Should Wolves do anything with expiring contracts?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Should Wolves do anything with expiring contracts?

Post by HeHateMe »

Gibson $14,000,000
Bayless $8,575,916
Tolliver $5,750,000
Jones $2,444,053
Rose $2,393,887
Deng $2,393,887

I wish Teague was expiring. Wondering if there are trades out there where the Wolves can find a team has a couple of guys signed through 19-20 (same as Teague) and they can try to send Gorgui along with an expiring to take back two contracts.

Portland comes to mind. Example, Blazers trade Leonard + Turner for Gorgui + Bayless + Deng. (Deng can get traded in December, Bayless cannot be combined in a deal for 60 days of course). After this, you'd have Teague/Leonard/Turner all coming off the books then summer 2020.

Do people want the Wolves to utilize expiring contracts?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
YBBR

Re: Should Wolves do anything with expiring contracts?

Post by YBBR »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 pm Gibson $14,000,000
Bayless $8,575,916
Tolliver $5,750,000
Jones $2,444,053
Rose $2,393,887
Deng $2,393,887

I wish Teague was expiring. Wondering if there are trades out there where the Wolves can find a team has a couple of guys signed through 19-20 (same as Teague) and they can try to send Gorgui along with an expiring to take back two contracts.

Portland comes to mind. Example, Blazers trade Leonard + Turner for Gorgui + Bayless + Deng. (Deng can get traded in December, Bayless cannot be combined in a deal for 60 days of course). After this, you'd have Teague/Leonard/Turner all coming off the books then summer 2020.

I would. Just Gibson and Bayless for now. Taj can get you something pretty decent as a 14 million expiring who can fit right into a team and give you good minutes.

They signed him to a good deal. It would be nice to reap some rewards from that instead of just cash coming off the books.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Bayless $8,575,916
Tolliver $5,750,000
Jones $2,444,053
Rose $2,393,887
Deng $2,393,887

I'll refer you 15 years of never doing it ever. But of course they should. They just turned Butler's underpaid deal in to 2 rotation players and an extra what like 8 mil? But no way that fuck Taylor ever does it. I mean are you kidding me? This was his dream deal. You think Thibs makes this deal? It got made because it saves Taylor that money starting next year.
j2j

Post by j2j »

How about Tristan Thompson? Solid big option that let's KAT play more 4. But we'd have to clear out some of our bigs to do it. Cleveland has a few 2 year deals like you're referring to. Gorgui, Taj, and Bayless for Thompson, Korver, and JR Smith? Then cut JR immediately.

Any buyers remorse for Washington with Otto Porter? Would they trade him for a bunch of expirings?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Wiggins for Porter!
Hokkaido

Post by Hokkaido »

If someone was willing to take on Dieng with Rose attached for an expiring + small asset, would you pull the trigger or just eat the Dieng contract and hope to re-sign Rose for to be our starting PG once Teague is gone?

Now would be the time to sell high on Rose if you believe he won’t keep up this production or stay healthy. Buy or sell?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Hokkaido wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:43 pm If someone was willing to take on Dieng with Rose attached for an expiring + small asset, would you pull the trigger or just eat the Dieng contract and hope to re-sign Rose for to be our starting PG once Teague is gone?

Now would be the time to sell high on Rose if you believe he won’t keep up this production or stay healthy. Buy or sell?
GLEN
TAYLOR
DOES
NOT
SPEND
MONEY

Jesus tap dancing Christ when will you all get it. This is the deal because it gets the piece of crap millions of extra dollars next year. And you fucking rubes want to trade more players for more money he won't spend. You are a miser's dream.

They shouold obviously be TAKING on money for assets. Mybe we will when the piece of shit dies. If you are a Wolves fan start hoping it's today.
Hokkaido

Post by Hokkaido »

Holy shit dude take it easy...

Yeah Taylor is a cheap ass but he’s also not afraid to overpay players. I could see him paying Rose, especially if he keeps up this level of play.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Hokkaido wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:15 pm Holy shit dude take it easy...

Yeah Taylor is a cheap ass but he’s also not afraid to overpay players. I could see him paying Rose, especially if he keeps up this level of play.
Thrill is just a touch...unhinged shall we say.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Hokkaido wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:15 pm Holy shit dude take it easy...

Thrill is just a touch...unhinged shall we say.
He's certainly a buzzkill if anything.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Bayless $8,575,916
Tolliver $5,750,000
Jones $2,444,053
Rose $2,393,887
Deng $2,393,887

Definitely use them.

We are in mini-rebuild now, and unless KAT and Wiggins shine, we aren't going to get to the palyoffs this season.

I am also wondering what we are going to do about getting a future PG for this team.

Teague is not the future, DRose is a great 6th man but no starter (can't trust his health), Jones isn't what we need.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Do WHATEVER can be done to get rid of Wiggins.....do that and I will be a Timberpup fan for life!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Do WHATEVER can be done to get rid of Wiggins.....do that and I will be a Timberpup fan for life!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

Hornets wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:09 pm Do WHATEVER can be done to get rid of Wiggins.....do that and I will be a Timberpup fan for life!
He might be the most untradeable guy in the league. There is likely not one gm in the league that would want him and his contract.
bri

Post by bri »

Could try Taj + Dieng for Bismack and Marvin Williams. Charlotte might do it for short term savings and a short term upgrade.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

This thread is a joke. 1 million ways to shed more salary that will go directly into Taylor's grave.

Someone once said you play to win the game. Ir wasn't a rube obviously.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 pm This thread is a joke. 1 million ways to shed more salary that will go directly into Taylor's grave.

This thread isn’t meant to be a joke. It’s a discussion, bud.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:12 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 pm This thread is a joke. 1 million ways to shed more salary that will go directly into Taylor's grave.

Joda and Thrill make me laugh the most on here lol
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I say keep them all and let them expire. We will have some money to play with after this season seeing what hole needs to be filled and where.

Agreed, I wish Teague’s deal was an expiring. Thibs should of made the 3rd year a team option since he was giving him 19 million a season.

Another fail of the Thibs regime.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

The most likely move is buying out Bayless. I can't see a role for him on this team even if they move Teague at some point. Might as well let him go play somewhere that needs him.
Style

Post by Style »

I’d let Taj expire, unless there’s another $14M expiring out there that can be attached with an asset. Randolph in Sacramento? Even if that asset is a 2nd round pick. Do it. Do not take on additional years for Taj’s contract though.

I think there could be a market for Rose. Vet minimum deal and he’s showing scoring punch off the bench. There’ll likely be a contender that wants him. Dare to dream of a 1st?

Phoenix has shown interest in Tyus. If there’s a decent return (heavily protected 1st), I’d do it. Anything less I hang onto him and let him test the market as a RFA. Bring him back if it’s a reasonable deal.

Tolliver is tough. I loooove the guy. He’s perfect for our team, and really any team using a modern NBA system. I could see Houston having interest in him. He seems to be part of what’s missing out there. Again, dare to dream of a 1st?

Deng and Bayless are valuable in the sense they can be added to the guys listed above in trades to help match salaries. If there’s a $10M expiring out there, for example, attach Bayless to Tyus to collect an asset. Otherwise just let them walk. I absolutely 100% would not buy out Bayless because his expiring gives us trade flexibility. Taylor writes the checks and will likely think very different than me in this situation, unfortunately.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Style wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm
I think there could be a market for Rose. Vet minimum deal and he’s showing scoring punch off the bench. There’ll likely be a contender that wants him. Dare to dream of a 1st?
I'd really like to re-sign him if possible.
Style

Post by Style »

LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:32 pm
Style wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm
I'd really like to re-sign him if possible.
He just doesn’t fit the age timeline or style of play out of the PG position that would make me want to pass up an asset while extending him and his risky health.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:12 pm

The joke is not the thread. It's that over and over, year after year, rubes try to think of ways to create more space that won't be spent. Acting like it's some crazy mistake and coincidence that we didn't take Butler Jr from Mia and did take a deal that saves a ton of cash? Just like when everyone blamed Kahn for the trade down draft.No way! What a totally unrelated coincidence to the 50 previous trades under Taylor. It's fucking mind blowing to me.

You know what teams in our situation do that are interested in building NBA basketball teams? They use their expirings on ASSETS. You know who did that? The team that just robbed Glen Taylor of an allstar for a couple 10 point scorers. and a 2nd in 4 years.

Oh, my bad, I forgot cash money for someone's grave.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

I agree to an extent.....If Butler was truly upset that he wasn't going to get the $190 million, and thats why he wanted out. Then yes, Taylor is a cheapskate. You make the Butler traded with the FULL UNDERSTANDING you are paying the full Bird Rights Super Max. Otherwise, you dont make the trade.

Miami trade is another story. Waiters is a bad contract. A negative asset. The Wolves already have 2 big negative assets in Wiggins and Dieng. Now you want to add another in Waiters? No thanks. Your roster should be net zero or positive assets, no negative assets. You always need cap flexibility in case something comes up.......you never know.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm I’d let Taj expire, unless there’s another $14M expiring out there that can be attached with an asset. Randolph in Sacramento? Even if that asset is a 2nd round pick. Do it. Do not take on additional years for Taj’s contract though.

Phoenix has shown interest in Tyus. If there’s a decent return (heavily protected 1st), I’d do it. Anything less I hang onto him and let him test the market as a RFA. Bring him back if it’s a reasonable deal.
Would you trade Gorgui/Tyus for Anderson/protected first?
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:45 am
Style wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm I’d let Taj expire, unless there’s another $14M expiring out there that can be attached with an asset. Randolph in Sacramento? Even if that asset is a 2nd round pick. Do it. Do not take on additional years for Taj’s contract though.

In a heartbeat.

Takes a year off the books of a massive overpaid contract......and Tyus has proven to be a dime a dozen point guard. Youre not going to pay him anything substantial anyways. Then you get a protected pick, which you probably wont get for 3-5 years, but thats okay, your biggest win is decreasing the duration of the bad contract
Style

Post by Style »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am

In a heartbeat.

Takes a year off the books of a massive overpaid contract......and Tyus has proven to be a dime a dozen point guard. Youre not going to pay him anything substantial anyways. Then you get a protected pick, which you probably wont get for 3-5 years, but thats okay, your biggest win is decreasing the duration of the bad contract
Yeah, I agree with this take. I like Tyus as a player, but this deal would be too good to pass up.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

Style wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 am
jimmyjamjammer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am
In a heartbeat.

Yeah, I agree with this take. I like Tyus as a player, but this deal would be too good to pass up.
So good that I don't think the Suns do it. They may do it the trade without the FRP. If Tyus contract was longer, they might do it. But he's RFA
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 pm How about Tristan Thompson? Solid big option that let's KAT play more 4. But we'd have to clear out some of our bigs to do it. Cleveland has a few 2 year deals like you're referring to. Gorgui, Taj, and Bayless for Thompson, Korver, and JR Smith? Then cut JR immediately.

Any buyers remorse for Washington with Otto Porter? Would they trade him for a bunch of expirings?
Oooh.

Bayless + future 2nd for Korver. Separate deal to execute now.
Gorgui+Taj+Tyus for Thompson + Smith. Smith waived immediately.
Sign Noah.

Thompson/Noah
Towns/Saric/Tolliver
Covington/Korver/KBD
Wiggins/Okogie/Nunnally
Teague/Rose

Teague/Thompson clears about 40 mil after 2020.