Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Yo, is Derrick Rose good again?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Yo, is Derrick Rose good again?

Post by RubeTube »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:11 pm I've enjoyed the folks who were all "Derrick Rose sucks." Then, he put up 50 against a good Jazz team, and the narrative changed to, "Yeah, but he's still a rapist."

America: Finding Ways to Keep Black Men Down Since 1620.
:clap:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Rose had a hurt again tonight

Over 24 mins a night and he will breakdown
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Rose ran a train on a drunk woman who by his own admission, did not give consent or give any indication that she wanted sex before they entered her home. So spare me with the "trying to keep the black man down", black athletes get away with crimes because of the money and influence they have similar to other people with money and influence. I'm as liberal as anyone on here and I do believe black people are generally treated worse by the justice system than white people due to several factors, some being racially motivated but this is not the case to make that argument. Is Rose guilty of rape? I don't know and that's the problem with rape, men can often get away with it while the defense attorney suggests the woman is a whore in front of a courtroom while also attempting to out her identity. If you know the details of the case, Rose does not come away looking like a boyscout here, the case is under appeal right now it just might not be enough to prove in the court of law that a crime was committed, that doesn't keep this whole thing from looking very shady.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

YBBR wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:11 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:11 pm I've enjoyed the folks who were all "Derrick Rose sucks." Then, he put up 50 against a good Jazz team, and the narrative changed to, "Yeah, but he's still a rapist."

Interesting point Skeets brought up on The Starters if Derrick Rose puts up 28, like he did in a previous game this year, no one says shit. Derrick Rose puts up 50 and now everyone has a take on his rape allegations like this is yesterday's news. Ain't that some shit.
To be fair, Jim Pete was the first one who brought up his court cases while Rose's game was happening.
He needs to be ripped for that.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 am Rose ran a train on a drunk woman who by his own admission, did not give consent or give any indication that she wanted sex before they entered her home. So spare me with the "trying to keep the black man down", black athletes get away with crimes because of the money and influence they have similar to other people with money and influence. I'm as liberal as anyone on here and I do believe black people are generally treated worse by the justice system than white people due to several factors, some being racially motivated but this is not the case to make that argument. Is Rose guilty of rape? I don't know and that's the problem with rape, men can often get away with it while the defense attorney suggests the woman is a whore in front of a courtroom while also attempting to out her identity. If you know the details of the case, Rose does not come away looking like a boyscout here, the case is under appeal right now it just might not be enough to prove in the court of law that a crime was committed, that doesn't keep this whole thing from looking very shady.
When I said that you were a really good poster, this is what I meant. I agree with your points here - keep race out of this, it’s a man (in this case men - not my bag, but who am I to judge what people do behind closed doors) vs woman (1 woman) case and nobody comes out of this one looking good.
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

This is where the BLM and feminist groups collide.

I'm a Rose fan, I was inspired by his game the other day, I'm praying it's not a fluke, but he is at best a sick fuckin pervert.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:58 am
YBBR wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Interesting point Skeets brought up on The Starters if Derrick Rose puts up 28, like he did in a previous game this year, no one says shit. Derrick Rose puts up 50 and now everyone has a take on his rape allegations like this is yesterday's news. Ain't that some shit.
To be fair, Jim Pete was the first one who brought up his court cases while Rose's game was happening.
He needs to be ripped for that.
Jim Pete done fucked up.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 am Rose ran a train on a drunk woman who by his own admission, did not give consent or give any indication that she wanted sex before they entered her home. So spare me with the "trying to keep the black man down", black athletes get away with crimes because of the money and influence they have similar to other people with money and influence. I'm as liberal as anyone on here and I do believe black people are generally treated worse by the justice system than white people due to several factors, some being racially motivated but this is not the case to make that argument. Is Rose guilty of rape? I don't know and that's the problem with rape, men can often get away with it while the defense attorney suggests the woman is a whore in front of a courtroom while also attempting to out her identity. If you know the details of the case, Rose does not come away looking like a boyscout here, the case is under appeal right now it just might not be enough to prove in the court of law that a crime was committed, that doesn't keep this whole thing from looking very shady.
The problem with these types of cases is that the concept of consent is such a hazy one and that our more feminist culture has created such ideas that consent can be taken away after the fact.

The process of sexual interaction in our civilization can almost be described as one of stepwise experimentation were there isn't any defined rules. When you take a girl (or whatever gender of your preference) to the movies you might put your arm around her seat. ANd if she does not shove it away, maybe you bring that arm closer to her. The girl isn't going to say "You can do X" tonight" explicitly. Both partners "grope" (pun intended) to find out what is going to be allowed and the partners move to a level until there is a definite break, including a definitive NO. The "bases" is one of the best metaphors around, and even a "No" in most developing sexual relationships does not mean the end of the baseball game, just that you are leading off the base until the next pitch.

The other issue that I think is really important is impaired consent and is very relevant in the Derrick Rose case as well as many other cases. This woman, from all accounts, had a BAC 2.5 times the "limit". But the limit is based on driving a motor vehicle not other human activities, and drunk driving laws are not really designed to protect the private person, but to protect the public. Drinking lowers a person's inhibitions, and this woman was drunk.

Based on what I read, and this case has significant pieces of the transcripts and depostions available, Derrick Rose did not behave in a gentlemanly way. But, on the other hand, I also believe that even though he could never define consent in a million years, he believed that the woman gave consent for the sexual activity, and in the end, that should be the standard in these cases.

In my opinion, just because a person was drunk does not mean that their indications of consent are not valid. A gentleman may pass on sex with an obviously inebriated woman, but if the inebriated woman indicates consent through her words, actions, or even lack of an explicit non-consent signal, it is not rape no matter how much the person regrets their consent the next morning. If you do not want to be in situations were your lack of inhibition causes you to do actions you do not like, don't put yourself in such positions.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

He still has MVP powers in him, we may struck gold with Rose

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

His minutes and usage is too high. When he plays heavy minutes like this, he gets sore and has to sit out the next few games

He should return to his role as the 6th man once the other two guy join the roster.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:10 pm His minutes and usage is too high. When he plays heavy minutes like this, he gets sore and has to sit out the next few games

He should return to his role as the 6th man once the other two guy join the roster.
I think he will. He's a nice piece to bring off the bench and collapse the defense. That really is what makes the bench work so well. Derrick's ability to penetrate.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:10 pm His minutes and usage is too high. When he plays heavy minutes like this, he gets sore and has to sit out the next few games

I think he will. He's a nice piece to bring off the bench and collapse the defense. That really is what makes the bench work so well. Derrick's ability to penetrate.
Yeah I agree, I think it'll happen once RoCoBop starts. Now that Teague is back, Rose is on the bench as 6th man.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

He's our version of Lou Williams. Rose drive in, kick out to Saric and Tolliver waiting to shoot on the 2nd unit is ideal.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:18 pm

He's our version of Lou Williams. Rose drive in, kick out to Saric and Tolliver waiting to shoot on the 2nd unit is ideal.
So Tolliver is backup SF in this instance, Saric PF? I am trying to also figure out how Saric fits into this team.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I think Dieng and Tyus are going to lose some PT real shortly.

I'd start Teague/Wiggins/Covington/Saric/Towns -- backups Tyus/Rose/Okogie/Tolliver/Gibson .. can let Rose run that show on the second unit. Would just hate to see Saric not get consistent minutes given he was starting in Philly. Saric is the future, not Gibson. I'm fine if they were to bring back Gibson as your third big, cheaper rate and then you try like hell to dump Gorgui who will be down to two years left after this season.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

He's not going to last long playing 38mpg.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I'm split on Saric......I want him to get time, but Taj does so many things right it's hard for him to not be on the floor.
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

His last 6 games have produced higher ppg and 3pt % than his mvp season. Not a small sample.

Dude is back.
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

t_wrex wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm His last 6 games have produced higher ppg and 3pt % than his mvp season. Not a small sample.

Dude is back.

And he's a completely different and remade player. Still aggressive, but not as explosive and above-the-rim as he used to be. And much better from the 3. He's shooting over 46% from the arc! I wonder if that's sustainable for him (maybe not even 46%, anything over 40% would be amazing). FWIW, his previous career high from 3 is 34%.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:29 pm
t_wrex wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm His last 6 games have produced higher ppg and 3pt % than his mvp season. Not a small sample.

Dude is back.

And he's a completely different and remade player. Still aggressive, but not as explosive and above-the-rim as he used to be. And much better from the 3. He's shooting over 46% from the arc! I wonder if that's sustainable for him (maybe not even 46%, anything over 40% would be amazing). FWIW, his previous career high from 3 is 34%.
Damn I hope so!
larryhagmansliver

Post by larryhagmansliver »

Dude is back.
larryhagmansliver

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Dude is back.

Jim Pete mentioned that he has changed the mechanics of his shot. I'm starting to think that he may now be an above average shooter from deep. Sample size is tiny but there has been a structural change to his shot, which would give hope.
larryhagmansliver

mlhouse wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:27 pm
The problem with these types of cases is that the concept of consent is such a hazy one and that our more feminist culture has created such ideas that consent can be taken away after the fact.

The process of sexual interaction in our civilization can almost be described as one of stepwise experimentation were there isn't any defined rules. When you take a girl (or whatever gender of your preference) to the movies you might put your arm around her seat. ANd if she does not shove it away, maybe you bring that arm closer to her. The girl isn't going to say "You can do X" tonight" explicitly. Both partners "grope" (pun intended) to find out what is going to be allowed and the partners move to a level until there is a definite break, including a definitive NO. The "bases" is one of the best metaphors around, and even a "No" in most developing sexual relationships does not mean the end of the baseball game, just that you are leading off the base until the next pitch.

The other issue that I think is really important is impaired consent and is very relevant in the Derrick Rose case as well as many other cases. This woman, from all accounts, had a BAC 2.5 times the "limit". But the limit is based on driving a motor vehicle not other human activities, and drunk driving laws are not really designed to protect the private person, but to protect the public. Drinking lowers a person's inhibitions, and this woman was drunk.

Based on what I read, and this case has significant pieces of the transcripts and depostions available, Derrick Rose did not behave in a gentlemanly way. But, on the other hand, I also believe that even though he could never define consent in a million years, he believed that the woman gave consent for the sexual activity, and in the end, that should be the standard in these cases.

In my opinion, just because a person was drunk does not mean that their indications of consent are not valid. A gentleman may pass on sex with an obviously inebriated woman, but if the inebriated woman indicates consent through her words, actions, or even lack of an explicit non-consent signal, it is not rape no matter how much the person regrets their consent the next morning. If you do not want to be in situations were your lack of inhibition causes you to do actions you do not like, don't put yourself in such positions.
I'm not going to go into all of your post, mainly because it's blame deflecting nonsense, but here is a question for you...

How many women do you think woke up on Sunday morning regretting sleeping with a guy whilst drunk in the Twin Cities?
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Definitely perfect role for him, also he needs to be in to finish games obviously
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

larryhagmansliver wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:03 am

I'm not going to go into all of your post, mainly because it's blame deflecting nonsense, but here is a question for you...

How many women do you think woke up on Sunday morning regretting sleeping with a guy whilst drunk in the Twin Cities?
Your wife?

But whenever someone responds "Im not going to go into your post", then I know they have no argument.

Regardless, consent is something that once given, even implicitly, cannot be taken back. While both words start with an R, regret and rape are not the same thing.
larryhagmansliver

mlhouse wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 am
larryhagmansliver wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:03 am

Your wife?

But whenever someone responds "Im not going to go into your post", then I know they have no argument.

Regardless, consent is something that once given, even implicitly, cannot be taken back. While both words start with an R, regret and rape are not the same thing.
Well there aren’t enough rotations of the sun left to address all the issues raised in that diatribe, and you have a track record of iron clad buffoonery, so best not waste too much of our time.

It would appear from your response that the intention of my question was beyond you. So good luck to you sir and the women in your life.
Last edited by larryhagmansliver on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
t_wrex

Post by t_wrex »

If Rose makes the game winning shot in the NBA finals, and then one month later admits to gang rape and gets locked up forever, I'll still be happy we signed Derrick Rose.

Get over yourselves you bunch of rugrats.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 am He had a bum first game, but has played extremely well in the two subsequent outings. Yo, is Derrick Rose good again?
Does he play defense? The answer to your question is the same.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am

I think this is really well put.

Congrats on not making me want to vomit as I thought I might when I saw a post this long about this topic :thumbsup:
He raises some very good points.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

salamander wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 am
YBBR wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 am He had a bum first game, but has played extremely well in the two subsequent outings. Yo, is Derrick Rose good again?
Does he play defense? The answer to your question is the same.
How many great defenders are in the league presently? One per team, maybe 2 on a good team. Defense is being pushed out of the league, it's one of the last things I'd look at when looking at Rose.
Last edited by Dan33185 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.