Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Joboo

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by Joboo »

Ayo I was intrigued by because his size and athletic ability was hoping we could grab him in the 2nd if we missed on PG with our first pick. He would have been nice to teach behind Tyus/Teague for 2020-21 season.

There are some nice bigs in this draft that I like to upgrade both bench or possible starter.

We all love Taj but he really has no place on this team unless we are competing for a Championship next year (which we are not).
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

roach might be the guy they should call now and say hi. i'm not sure he's going to get drafted. all sorts of cool things about him plus he really notched up his 3 ball his jr and sr seasons (over 35% both years) so he may not be as bad of a shot as his rep says. or ... he might not translate as a shot maker. his four year FT% is a tad under 65% - and that ain't good, especially when it comes to forecasting futures for a guy who will be 23 at the start of next season. one of his best mocks has him at 55. more regular consensus is that he may go undrafted. i'd sure as hell give him a shot. he's one of the most athletic players in college ball, and by a pretty good margin. thrill, i see he's listed now at 180 lbs. most often, i've seen him listed at 165. is this a predraft puff-up effect or has he actually put some more meat on his bones. you've watched him a lot more than i have. all in all though, i'd roll the dice on him going undrafted - select a big at 43 - and then hope he takes our call as a UDFA.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

nic claxton just put his toes into the draft pool. he should be right around our 43rd and is an intriguing two-way PF. i can't figure out why he's pulling mid-second round interest while jaxson hayes is lottery bound. not sure what he's hoping for in terms of draft position - so if he gets solid word from teams that they aren't interested in him as a first rounder, he may opt to go back to school. georgia just signed the overall #1 HS guy, so they'll be a little more prominent next year - and he might want in on that.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I think it’s key we come out of the draft with a guy who can lob dunk anything.

Could be our second pick but take a stab at that guy. If he can’t shoot, no problem. If he can shoot FTs, bonus.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:36 pm roach might be the guy they should call now and say hi. i'm not sure he's going to get drafted. all sorts of cool things about him plus he really notched up his 3 ball his jr and sr seasons (over 35% both years) so he may not be as bad of a shot as his rep says. or ... he might not translate as a shot maker. his four year FT% is a tad under 65% - and that ain't good, especially when it comes to forecasting futures for a guy who will be 23 at the start of next season. one of his best mocks has him at 55. more regular consensus is that he may go undrafted. i'd sure as hell give him a shot. he's one of the most athletic players in college ball, and by a pretty good margin. thrill, i see he's listed now at 180 lbs. most often, i've seen him listed at 165. is this a predraft puff-up effect or has he actually put some more meat on his bones. you've watched him a lot more than i have. all in all though, i'd roll the dice on him going undrafted - select a big at 43 - and then hope he takes our call as a UDFA.
For me, I'll take a guy who is a defender above all. I don't care much about all around PG skills from a backup. I don't much care from a starter as long as you can do the important things for us. Having Towns lets you have a PG who is not a big time P@R weapon. We should be playing through the post twice as much anyway. Unless it's a freaky talent like Garland I don't care. And with Roach you also get 2 guard depth in a pinch because he can guard and rebound the 2 position.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 am I think it’s key we come out of the draft with a guy who can lob dunk anything.

Could be our second pick but take a stab at that guy. If he can’t shoot, no problem. If he can shoot FTs, bonus.
Absolutely. We need a big who can dunk, block shots, and move their feet at a top athletic level. That would give us 1. We should really be looking for 2.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

completely agree with the take 2 approach. i believe we're going to lose taj. (and that's okay. go get your ring, big fella). but if we keep saric, that's still just three bigs on this team. i wouldn't be upset with big in the first round, big in the second, and another big in free agency.

if we trade saric, then it's even crazier. - but i'll agree with thrill that in a lot of ways it does make sense to move him now. it'd be hard. i love his grit and think it's exactly the kind of hardnosed vibe we should be shooting for with all our players. in any event, i don't see a big name opting to come here - so now's the time to load up on developmental and/or warrior types (clarke, konate, roby, claxton, pelle, patton, birch, oquinn). (btw, not GSW warrior types, just "warrior" types). none will cost much and we need to start setting tone and getting our big ducks in a row.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

A 2nd big that might be around is Charles Bassey. He is like the anti Gourgi makes smart decisive decisions and has not only super soft touch but really good hands.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g8rk3ezpGC0[/youtube]
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Joboo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 pm A 2nd big that might be around is Charles Bassey. He is like the anti Gourgi makes smart decisive decisions and has not only super soft touch but really good hands.

one of those obviously polarizing players for mock draft sites. some have him mid-first - others have him 30 picks later. high motor, relentless on the glass, 7-3 wingspan, solid 245. if he drops to us in the second round, he'd absolutely be someone we should think hard about. and if he's more of a true center, that doesn't dissuade me from taking him. gorgui has looked so much more springy and quick since his weight loss - if he stays like that - i don't think it's a bad idea at all to give him PT at the four.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

clarke is often showing up as the guy we get. i'd be happy with it. but, after reading one recent glowing analysis of his nba potential, i came out a little concerned because they said his place in the league will be at SF. just not large enough to handle the 82 game nightly punishment of being an nba big. would this create a PT problem or do you think we'd more likely head towards a situation where covington, clarke and KBD would all just be "forwards" and they're all built in a way to avoid mismatches? i know roco has played some small ball four - KBD was a nice surprise this year, but he really looks like he'd have to muscle up to be competitive at the four, so i think for the moment he's stuck at SF.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 am clarke is often showing up as the guy we get. i'd be happy with it. but, after reading one recent glowing analysis of his nba potential, i came out a little concerned because they said his place in the league will be at SF. just not large enough to handle the 82 game nightly punishment of being an nba big. would this create a PT problem or do you think we'd more likely head towards a situation where covington, clarke and KBD would all just be "forwards" and they're all built in a way to avoid mismatches? i know roco has played some small ball four - KBD was a nice surprise this year, but he really looks like he'd have to muscle up to be competitive at the four, so i think for the moment he's stuck at SF.
For the record, i am not a Clarke fan....That said, if he is the guy, KBD should not be a consideration to why the Wolves pass on him. He was a nice surprise, Cov plays D, so having him as a 2 is not an issue. I personally believe Clarke is going to need the majority of the year to adapt, and am suspect he will do so.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, i AM a brandon clarke fan. BUT, when all is said and done, he turns out to be better suited as a pro SF than a pro PF, i don't know if i take him at ten. what we're hoping for out of roco is a healthy SF who can take the majority of minutes at that spot for the foreseeable future. and if we stumbled onto a guy like KBD last year who can give legit backup minutes at that spot - why select another SF at ten? whomever we take at ten should be a player who would be given the opportunity to start probably sooner than later. that's not going to happen at the 3 unless we move covington. so... if we're uncertain about clarke's position in the pros, and we really NEED a PF, i just wonder if pj washington might not be a better option. he goes around 240, he makes up for being relatively short as a PF with a 7-3 wingspan (which is 5 inches better than clarke's), he added a decent 3ball to his game this year, he's got a strong nba body right out of the chute. just a thought.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Joboo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 pm A 2nd big that might be around is Charles Bassey. He is like the anti Gourgi makes smart decisive decisions and has not only super soft touch but really good hands.

Anti Gorgs? You're kidding right. He's exactly Gorgs just without the jumper. Well......"jumper"
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 am clarke is often showing up as the guy we get. i'd be happy with it. but, after reading one recent glowing analysis of his nba potential, i came out a little concerned because they said his place in the league will be at SF. just not large enough to handle the 82 game nightly punishment of being an nba big. would this create a PT problem or do you think we'd more likely head towards a situation where covington, clarke and KBD would all just be "forwards" and they're all built in a way to avoid mismatches? i know roco has played some small ball four - KBD was a nice surprise this year, but he really looks like he'd have to muscle up to be competitive at the four, so i think for the moment he's stuck at SF.
For the record, i am not a Clarke fan....That said, if he is the guy, KBD should not be a consideration to why the Wolves pass on him. He was a nice surprise, Cov plays D, so having him as a 2 is not an issue. I personally believe Clarke is going to need the majority of the year to adapt, and am suspect he will do so.
Time to adapt for Clarke? Nope. He is who he is from day 1. Now want to talk allstar upside that's legit. But what part of hustle, run, dunk, block shots is different in the NBA?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:16 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am Thoughts on this mock? I follow Wasserman on twitter per doogie's recommendation.

All three pgs gone by pick 10. Interesting to see Garland's stock way up.

PJ Washington or Bol Bol would be interesting at 10, for me at least.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... tournament
Bol Bol at 10 interesting?

:lol:
Jonathon Givony:

11. Los Angeles Lakers

Bol Bol
Oregon
C

Height: 7-foot-2 | Weight: 222

The Lakers are in a tricky spot. LeBron James turns 35 later this year, and L.A. wants to win now, which could steer the team toward one of the older players in this draft (Brandon Clarke, Cam Johnson or Rui Hachimura). But the Lakers have a glaring hole at the center position. They also need to add 3-point shooting and rim protection to balance a poorly constructed roster.

Bol has both of those things, and he's a top-five talent in this draft, finding himself this low due to a season-ending foot injury, which is certainly a concern. If the Lakers are thinking about the long term and are willing to roll the dice a bit, Bol's long-term upside could be intriguing.

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:28 am
thinktank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:16 am

Bol Bol at 10 interesting?

:lol:
Do you have a Bol Bol breakdown for us to disagree?
Yes!:

Bol Bol at 10 would be a ridiculous reach. It won’t happen. PST-worthy statement on your part.
11. Los Angeles Lakers

Bol Bol
Oregon
C

Height: 7-foot-2 | Weight: 222
..and he's a top-five talent in this draft, finding himself this low due to a season-ending foot injury, which is certainly a concern. If the Lakers are thinking about the long term and are willing to roll the dice a bit, Bol's long-term upside could be intriguing.
Givony or thinktank... who knows more about College Hoops and the NBA Draft?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:57 am

Anti Gorgs? You're kidding right. He's exactly Gorgs just without the jumper. Well......"jumper"
Gourgi doesn’t put himself in the proper positions

Gourgi has awful hands

Gourgi is slow to react with poor instincts

Bassey is really good at all of those things
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Is De'Aaron Fox a good comparison for Coby White? They seem very similar with the left hand, the aggressiveness, the speed, the scoring, and size. Not sure about the defensive end.

How much better is Garland, as they sit about 5 picks apart?
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

I think a Jamal Murray comp is the right one for Coby White....As far as how much better, that depends on style preference and views on fit. I would rather have Coby White or NAW over Garland as our point with our current roster.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

norseman79 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:38 pm I think a Jamal Murray comp is the right one for Coby White....As far as how much better, that depends on style preference and views on fit. I would rather have Coby White or NAW over Garland as our point with our current roster.
I don't think Murray is the comp. Fox is closer, it is who crosses my mind, but Murray, well can't say it has. I see Murray as a PG, with good vision and adequate handles for the position who can also play the 2, White is more a playmaking SG, with a developing game. Not sure he will ever be a PG, but he will be one hell of a 2 in time I think.

I do agree that White is a better choice over Garland, but not NAW. NAW is IMO another likely SG in the NBA and is a modern playmaking 2 like White, but not as good.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

irishman89 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:12 pm Is De'Aaron Fox a good comparison for Coby White? They seem very similar with the left hand, the aggressiveness, the speed, the scoring, and size. Not sure about the defensive end.

It's a terrible comp. They play nothing alike except maybe for the open court speed.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:23 pm
irishman89 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:12 pm Is De'Aaron Fox a good comparison for Coby White? They seem very similar with the left hand, the aggressiveness, the speed, the scoring, and size. Not sure about the defensive end.

It's a terrible comp. They play nothing alike except maybe for the open court speed.
Meh. I disagree. Similar games, enough for a comp anyways.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 pm

What part is similar? Fox was a drive and dish, attack the basket PG who didn't shoot 3's. White shoots a ton of 3's and has nowhere near the handle. Fox was the best defender in college ball. White nowhere near. The only similar thing about their games is how they pushed the pace and that's much more coaching than the players.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:56 pm
What part is similar? Fox was a drive and dish, attack the basket PG who didn't shoot 3's. White shoots a ton of 3's and has nowhere near the handle. Fox was the best defender in college ball. White nowhere near. The only similar thing about their games is how they pushed the pace and that's much more coaching than the players.
Both, drive and dish, both unconventional finishers, both strong intermediate games, both are fast with the ball. Yes, there are differences, yes, Fox has better handles, yes, White is a better shooter from range. Defense did not factor into my comp, nor do I even think they play the same position. That doesn't negate the are similar stylistically.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I'll take that as a no.

Thank you for ignoring my other question. Tough to just have a conversation with some folks.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

We’ll be lucky to get White. Fingers crossed. Things I like about him:

-Plays bigger than he is, and he’s already big for a PG
-Tough
-Great balance at all times, especially shooting
-Very quick release. Quickest in draft?
-Fast. Pushes pace
-Proactive defender

EDIT:

-Willing passer. Passes as soon as there’s an opening.
-Good vision

I’m starting to like this guy, which makes me wonder if he could rise.

He could be best player and fit.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

thinktank wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm We’ll be lucky to get White. Fingers crossed. Things I like about him:

-Plays bigger than he is, and he’s already big for a PG
-Tough
-Great balance at all times, especially shooting
-Very quick release. Quickest in draft?
-Fast. Pushes pace
-Proactive defender

EDIT:

-Willing passer. Passes as soon as there’s an opening.
-Good vision

I’m starting to like this guy, which makes me wonder if he could rise.

He could be best player and fit.
Does he have any weaknesses? By your list I would think he's the second coming of Christ
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

jimmyjamjammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 amDoes he have any weaknesses? By your list I would think he's the second coming of Christ
Weaknesses:

-Decent, not great shooter
-Handles, potentially
-Poor assist:turnover ratio
-If he can’t play PG on O then suddenly he’s an often undersized SG
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

thinktank wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 am
jimmyjamjammer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 amDoes he have any weaknesses? By your list I would think he's the second coming of Christ
Weaknesses:

-Decent, not great shooter
-Handles, potentially
-Poor assist:turnover ratio
-If he can’t play PG on O then suddenly he’s an often undersized SG
If you watch half court sets by NC last year, they...as a team....moved the ball as well as any team in recent memory. That was not all White, to be sure...but it usually started with him and often continued through him. He also moves very well without the ball. If he can play PG for that NC team...he can play PG in the NBA. I do fear a big move up for him however...but remain hopeful he is there at 10. If Garland there too...that is where i am really torn. Coin flip as far as I am concerned.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I think he can play PG but we’ll see if he can game manage and pass while limiting turnovers, no doubt.