Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Thrillkill

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by Thrillkill »

Joboo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:52 pm When people started to hype Clarke I rolled my eyes and was like whatev... then watched like 10 of his games and understood why people liked him so. I too wish he had more of an offensive game other than straight up bully post ball ala Kris Humphries style but man I love all other aspects of his game.

I wish we would some how be able to trade and get both Garland and Clarke.

PG Garland
SG Okogie
SF RoCo
PF Clarke
C Towns

Let Garland/Towns carry the scoring load and the other 3 compliment with incredible defense
Clarke is the kind of guy who makes everyone better on D and you never have to run anything for him to contribute offensively. And finally having a big that can run the floor will help not only our fast break game but our atrocious transition D. He is the poster boy for might not be the best basketball player but makes your team better than anyone else would.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 pm
Joboo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:52 pm When people started to hype Clarke I rolled my eyes and was like whatev... then watched like 10 of his games and understood why people liked him so. I too wish he had more of an offensive game other than straight up bully post ball ala Kris Humphries style but man I love all other aspects of his game.

I wish we would some how be able to trade and get both Garland and Clarke.

PG Garland
SG Okogie
SF RoCo
PF Clarke
C Towns

Let Garland/Towns carry the scoring load and the other 3 compliment with incredible defense
Clarke is the kind of guy who makes everyone better on D and you never have to run anything for him to contribute offensively. And finally having a big that can run the floor will help not only our fast break game but our atrocious transition D. He is the poster boy for might not be the best basketball player but makes your team better than anyone else would.
Ehhh.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Joboo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:30 pm
irishman89 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 pm I hope all lottery picks are better than the bust named Bell.
Is it really fair to call him a bust when he is on a multi time World Championship club?

Bell has legit ability it just he is too one dimensional... his offensive game is even more limited and he doesn't have the ability to push tempo and distribute like Clarke.

Defensively both are really good but I think Clarke more cerebral and better at switches.
They're 3-4 centers in, and he still can't get on the floor. Some guy named Bogut came in cold from the morgue last week ahead of him. Clarke must be more promising than that guy.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I dig Ja Morant. How do we end up with that guy? He or Garland seem to have that edge we need here running things.
j2j

Post by j2j »

How is Jordan Bell a bust?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it's hard to get time on such a stacked team. but he's not a bust - christ, he was a second rounder who's stuck with the world champs for two years. look at his career per 36 - 11/9/4 with 1.2 steals and 2.4 blocks. the 4 assists stand out for me - he knows how to move the ball, and that's not the strong suit for a lot of bigs. deandre jordan's career per 36 assists is 1.1.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 pm it's hard to get time on such a stacked team. but he's not a bust - christ, he was a second rounder who's stuck with the world champs for two years. look at his career per 36 - 11/9/4 with 1.2 steals and 2.4 blocks. the 4 assists stand out for me - he knows how to move the ball, and that's not the strong suit for a lot of bigs. deandre jordan's career per 36 assists is 1.1.
They want to dump him I'm first in line. GS actually had some offensive issues due to injuries and resting guys during the year and he lost playing time to a better offensive player in Looney. Both are restricted this offseason and would look good here.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

aarrrggggghhhh, the humanity! bleacher report just posted an updated mock and it's almost too much to bear. okay, i'm being dramatic.... but still.

#10 to MN - darius garland
#11 to LAL - coby white
#12 to charlotte - pj washington
#13 to MIA - brandon clarke

that would be a skull crusher, but i think we'd go garland.

actually, all this talk on RC - and i'm a big part of the discussion - seems to center around three of those players, but do we actually have any clue what mgmt is thinking? for all we know, their big three is romeo langford, rui hachimura and bol bol.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am
witljon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am I wouldn't be shocked if the Wolves have their choice between PGs Garland and White.
Im not as impressed as most here are with them.
No way in hell. They are both top prospects but also look at the teams ahead of us. Many need PG or have a vet to trade to start a rebuild. We would need to move to 4 to get Garland or hope like crazy that a couple of those PG teams are the ones lined up for Zion and Barrett.
I see the mock above now thinks both PGs will be available.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 am
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am
witljon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am I wouldn't be shocked if the Wolves have their choice between PGs Garland and White.
Im not as impressed as most here are with them.
No way in hell. They are both top prospects but also look at the teams ahead of us. Many need PG or have a vet to trade to start a rebuild. We would need to move to 4 to get Garland or hope like crazy that a couple of those PG teams are the ones lined up for Zion and Barrett.
I see the mock above now thinks both PGs will be available.
they just periodically move shit around to keep it interesting to obsessed fans like myself. what they proposed would be a twolves dream scenario - i give it about a 0% chance of playing out that way.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

There is a high likelihood Garland is there, White may not be, likely not. Garland is so slight of frame even his projected shooting won't offset his probable defensive struggles which at this time has him in the 10-14 range. THIS IS A WEAK PG DRAFT. White is likely not a conventional PG and IMO is a playmaking 2. PG might be better to address next year, far better class and we should have a good pick. Jalen Laque (sp?) might be a guy this year to keep an eye on should he enter though.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Bell is one of those players that teams bury to decrease their value. That move is a luxury. Most teams can’t pull it off.

He’s ready to step in for Draymond and I’m the biggest Draymond fan on the board.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:27 am There is a high likelihood Garland is there, White may not be, likely not. Garland is so slight of frame even his projected shooting won't offset his probable defensive struggles which at this time has him in the 10-14 range. THIS IS A WEAK PG DRAFT. White is likely not a conventional PG and IMO is a playmaking 2. PG might be better to address next year, far better class and we should have a good pick. Jalen Laque (sp?) might be a guy this year to keep an eye on should he enter though.
I respectfully disagree with the assessment that it is a weak PG draft. it may not be deep, but I think the top 3...( I do consider White a PG) are studs....Jones is a mid first solid pick and Edwards is a wild card with HUGE upside.

I love contrarian thought processes and drafts. Gobble up the small forwards and wings....eat em up fella's....and let us have our pick of White/Garland.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

OK, I'm not sure who some of you are talking about when you describe Garland. First it was smaller than Teague then so damn skinny. This is him. He is neither.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

garland doesn't scare me away with his size - although i do think, unless he's really motivated to excel defensively, he might be at a disadvantage. what worries me more though is that he seems to look for his shot first and foremost. i like it when teams share the wealth and everyone's involved - seems to carry over to the defensive end when that happens as well. i did not know this - but as a PG in his injury shortened season at Vandy, he posted a pretty dreadful apg average this year - 2.6. that great game against liberty with the 33 points? - he also posted just 4 assists. i know it was a short five game run for him - but still, thirteen lousy assists in 5 games for a PG? for a lottery PG pick and potential longterm starter, i just wish there was more of an indication that we weren't signing up for a predominantly "me first" player.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Just throwing it out there Kyrie Irving averaged 16 and 4 in 11 games before injury struck Garland 17 and 3... not the same players but both can shoot and have elite handles. I’d take a poor mans KYRIE any day.

Steph Curry was too small as is Trae Young but the league has shown if you can shoot you will do fine. Garland can flat out shoot.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

like i have said, he'd still be my first choice - of the options maybe available to us - but it doesn't come without questions.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:28 pm like i have said, he'd still be my first choice - of the options maybe available to us - but it doesn't come without questions.
If memory serves, I think Vandy was something like 0-17 in conference play at one point....maybe it was as simple as not having a hell of a lot of other talent ?

I didn’t see a lot of Commodores games, so not entirely sure...but just a hunch.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Joboo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:05 pm Just throwing it out there Kyrie Irving averaged 16 and 4 in 11 games before injury struck Garland 17 and 3... not the same players but both can shoot and have elite handles. I’d take a poor mans KYRIE any day.

Steph Curry was too small as is Trae Young but the league has shown if you can shoot you will do fine. Garland can flat out shoot.
I believe Jeff Teague's college number were 16 and 3.
And Garland reminds me more of Teague than Kyrie.
Don't get me wrong, If we draft him Im hoping for the best, but Im not sold on this Garland kid.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if we get garland, it would be our first papa/son combo, right? his dad, winston, started 58 games for us in the 94-95 season.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

In regards to Jeff Teague when he is aggressive and shoots usually good things happen instead we have gotten dribble dribble dribble dribble jack up last second shot Teague. It’s like bizzaro Teague we have gotten. Kind of like when Mike Miller was here and didn’t shoot.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Garland kind of has a funky shot. Doesn't seem to feel comfortable using more than one dribble when attacking with his left. Pulls up a lot going left.

Ridiculous efficiency in 5 games, obviously wish we could have seen more. He won't drop to us, so no sense in worrying about it.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well. crap and a half. what i thought was our best chance at a solid PG in the second round just left the building. Illinois freshman ayo dosunmu has announced that he's returning to school. unexpected.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

for being one of the most prominent mocks around, nbadraft.net certainly bucks the trend of almost every other mock. what to make of it? do they have legit inside info - or are they just trolling? cases in point:

they have us taking bruno fernando at 10 - mocked almost everywhere else in the mid-20s now.

they have charles bassey at 19 - mocked almost everywhere else now as a mid-2nd rounder.

they have darius garland at 15, brandon clarke at 26 and pj washington at 27. most everywhere else these guys are lottery picks - especially the first two.

and perhaps oddest of all, they have NINE players rated as second rounders - jontay porter (45), lugentz dort (44), taylor horton-tucker (41), carsen edwards (39), grant williams (38), chuma okeke (37), matisse thybulle (36), admiral scofield (35), and kevin porter(33) - who almost everywhere else are mocked as first rounders.

keeping it interesting, i guess.
j2j

Post by j2j »

While nbadraft.net might be one of the most well known mocks, I've never found them to be remotely accurate.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i know they don't take team need into account - but some of the variance they've got is just strange. almost like they've got all the players they think will be drafted and once every 8 days they throw all the names in a hat and pick them out randomly. except of course for the top 3.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:15 am i know they don't take team need into account - but some of the variance they've got is just strange. almost like they've got all the players they think will be drafted and once every 8 days they throw all the names in a hat and pick them out randomly. except of course for the top 3.
That's how you get clicks.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:18 pm well. crap and a half. what i thought was our best chance at a solid PG in the second round just left the building. Illinois freshman ayo dosunmu has announced that he's returning to school. unexpected.
Dude he was the farthest from "actual PG" of all of them. And still a ton of them left around our spot. Howard also returning hurts as well but still have the vet scorers in Edwards, Ponds and Clemons. Vet defender in Roach. But then a group of young upside with Jaylen Hands, Jalen Nowell, Jalen Lecque, Javonte Smart. and Lindel Wiggington. That's depth especially among Jaylens.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

by what i want, the closest. meaning he plays both sides of the ball and he's got size. so many of the other PGs in the second round are jj types. score first, small. if we're going to develop a player, i'd rather develop a guy who has a chance to be a two way player in multiple situations than develop a guy who has a chance to be a situational bench scorer. i'll take a look at the others you mentioned - but i just feel like our best chance at getting both good players and good fits would be to have one of our PG targets drop to us in the first and find an athletic big in the second. i think the pickings get a lot slimmer the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:52 am by what i want, the closest. meaning he plays both sides of the ball and he's got size. so many of the other PGs in the second round are jj types. score first, small. if we're going to develop a player, i'd rather develop a guy who has a chance to be a two way player in multiple situations than develop a guy who has a chance to be a situational bench scorer.
Hands, Nowell, Roach would be the list for me right now. But honestly with the depth of the class and Teague returning I might just give Tyus the tender and take 2 bigs. Wait until after to sign an undrafted guy or 2 to try to win a spot. Especially considering that all the guys who are left are either projects of the small vets who are what they are.