Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Thrillkill

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by Thrillkill »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 am
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:30 am
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:14 pm Any big, bruising defensive minded Center prospects worth taking when the Wolves draft?
Yes. A bunch. Why would we want one of those? To play 8 minutes at C behind Towns? Personally I'd like to have a huge shot blocking/rebounding monster but then I'd have to watch Towns "try" to guard 4's. No thank you. The only big C's I'd consider are Naz Reid because he's just crazy skilled for a big, and Fernando because he's athletic enough to guard 4 and 5 and make up for Towns.

There are just a ton of athletic 4's in this draft. Guys with great handles, guys who can shoot, crazy defenders, just a whole lot of different types but all good.
Ok then, now what?

We go after another athletic 3&D wing to take Wiggins spot in the lineup after we trade him to the highest bidder?
A bunch of those 4's are athletic enough to give you big lineuo minutes at the 3 but we already have a lot of wing depth. Actually we have a lot of depth everywhere but we have to make decisions up front on Taj and Saric. Dieng is strictly a 5 and our backup plan in Patton is gone. We have to make calls on Rose and Teague (Tyus will be out) but that's hard to think on until Rose gets to the end of the season.

Just as of now it's athletic front court for me. Torn right now between the big time defenders in Gafford/Konate/Wooten, and the athletic freaks who play and move like 3's in Shittu, Hachimura, McDaniels
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Bump because Howard likes trannies get 2 pages from you......................guys.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Not much in the way of draft guys to watch tonight so frees you all up to watch women who used to be men. You know, for all of you that aren't all about that over draft guys anyway. All 2 or 3 of you apparently.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

interesting sitch to watch with boston this year. the very real potential for 4 first round picks (their own, a top 1 protected from either philly or sacto, a top 8 protected from the grizzlies and a top 14 protected from the clippers.) just wow. they can't keep all that, so it might be something to put on a trade wish list. all of boston's picks might fall in the mid late teens thru the 20s - ours probably a teens lottery. just something to watch - as i'm sure most teams are also watching.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm interesting sitch to watch with boston this year. the very real potential for 4 first round picks (their own, a top 1 protected from either philly or sacto, a top 8 protected from the grizzlies and a top 14 protected from the clippers.) just wow. they can't keep all that, so it might be something to put on a trade wish list. all of boston's picks might fall in the mid late teens thru the 20s - ours probably a teens lottery. just something to watch - as i'm sure most teams are also watching.
Would love to see them with a couple picks around 20 if we end up higher. Always for the trade down when the draft is flat. This time it just happens to be flat with crazy young talent.
Style

Post by Style »

I watched a bit of the UNC/UCLA game the other day. The UCLA center, Moses Brown, is rail thin and got in foul trouble almost immediately, but he had a few nice plays early in the game. Obviously needs some seasoning, but he's an intriguing prospect.

The wing that we're projected to take currently by nbadraft.net, Kris Wilkes, had decent feel for the game. With the premium on wing players in today's NBA, he's a guy that's going to be worth monitoring.

The PG, Jaylen Hands really reminded me of Tyus. Not much of an athlete or finisher, but outstanding court presence. It seemed he was constantly pushing the ball and playing as a high level team facilitator. He'll be a solid pro with a long career, but nothing too special due to his physical limitations. (I now see nbadraft.net has him listed at 6'3". Maybe I'm wrong about his size, but he seemed really small out there.)
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm interesting sitch to watch with boston this year. the very real potential for 4 first round picks (their own, a top 1 protected from either philly or sacto, a top 8 protected from the grizzlies and a top 14 protected from the clippers.) just wow. they can't keep all that, so it might be something to put on a trade wish list. all of boston's picks might fall in the mid late teens thru the 20s - ours probably a teens lottery. just something to watch - as i'm sure most teams are also watching.
Would love to see them with a couple picks around 20 if we end up higher. Always for the trade down when the draft is flat. This time it just happens to be flat with crazy young talent.
we're also probably going to be in a situation contractwise where we'll need to populate the back end of the roster with cheap talent on longer deals. draft's the way to go to get the cream of that.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:05 pm Thanks Flex. Gotta drink and play darts tonight but I'll start posting some vids of the impressive new guys I've seen. Watched the tape of USC and Vandy and Garland and Porter were both hugely impressive. Both took big jumps on NBAdraft today. So did Naz Reid. Only saw those highlights but holy shit go watch the youtube. He's is crazy skilled for an Andre the Giant looking motherfucker.
Garland out for the season. Ouch for Vandy.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:05 pm Thanks Flex. Gotta drink and play darts tonight but I'll start posting some vids of the impressive new guys I've seen. Watched the tape of USC and Vandy and Garland and Porter were both hugely impressive. Both took big jumps on NBAdraft today. So did Naz Reid. Only saw those highlights but holy shit go watch the youtube. He's is crazy skilled for an Andre the Giant looking motherfucker.
Garland out for the season. Ouch for Vandy.
More handling time for this freak. And there is some Greek in this freak.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I think the Wolves need to invest their pick @ the PG spot. I feel like Dario/KAT is the future and eat the most minutes. Teague may be gone next year, Tyus as well. I do assume we'll have our hands on Rose, but even that's not built to last. We've got a relatively young team that has a starting slot at every position filled except PG. Oki....Wiggins...Saric....KAT....???
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am I think the Wolves need to invest their pick @ the PG spot. I feel like Dario/KAT is the future and eat the most minutes. Teague may be gone next year, Tyus as well. I do assume we'll have our hands on Rose, but even that's not built to last. We've got a relatively young team that has a starting slot at every position filled except PG. Oki....Wiggins...Saric....KAT....???
Sure PG is the biggest long term need but it's not a great year for PG's and the likely best one just tore an acl. I am a huge Kerwin Roach fan but he's really more of a defensive combo like Avery Bradley. If we end up in thE 20'S i'd certainly consider him but don't know if we would considering the depth of the good young bigs
bri

Post by bri »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am I think the Wolves need to invest their pick @ the PG spot. I feel like Dario/KAT is the future and eat the most minutes. Teague may be gone next year, Tyus as well. I do assume we'll have our hands on Rose, but even that's not built to last. We've got a relatively young team that has a starting slot at every position filled except PG. Oki....Wiggins...Saric....KAT....???
Looks like this draft won't be too deep on PGs
But Ja Morant seems interesting.. might be best to draft a backup big for the future. Or a 3/4 tweener.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bri wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 am
But Ja Morant seems interesting.. might be best to draft a backup big for the future. Or a 3/4 tweener.
second the thumbs up on morant. most of his games will come against competition that isn't top flight - but he did have a fantastic game against arkansas, usually tough - but again, not even ranked this year. bigger test for him will come against auburn - currently ranked in the top ten. be interesting to see how he responds in that game.

i'm really curious to see how his season progresses and where he (and the wolves) start to line up draftwise. he's not derrick rose, but many of his qualities - athleticism, fearlessness, size, attacking the rim - are similar to what we see (and love) in rose. it certainly wouldn't be the worst mentor/mentee relationship ever devised.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 am
bri wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 am
second the thumbs up on morant. most of his games will come against competition that isn't top flight - but he did have a fantastic game against arkansas, usually tough - but again, not even ranked this year. bigger test for him will come against auburn - currently ranked in the top ten. be interesting to see how he responds in that game.

i'm really curious to see how his season progresses and where he (and the wolves) start to line up draftwise. he's not derrick rose, but many of his qualities - athleticism, fearlessness, size, attacking the rim - are similar to what we see (and love) in rose. it certainly wouldn't be the worst mentor/mentee relationship ever devised.
Except now with Garland hurt he is really the only PG in probably the top 20 and will likely be gone when we pick. Still much better talent for us up front than backcourt. Start hoping for Mia to ust bottom out this year now as we have their 2nd rounder. Should be some nice PG options down there.

Roach is a freak who can guard both spots and score. Likely never a great passer but love what he brings

Ponds will always score. Size an issue but less as a bench guy and he's can go 20 in 20 minutes any night.

C. Edwards really started hot. Don't kn ow since.

Marcus Howard is a freaking scoring machine every time I watch him. Way too small to ever develop into a starter buty definition of bench spark plug.

Gonna be weird to see what happens with Teague and Tyus. But right now I'd put the odds on letting Tyus go and Teague opts in for 1 more year. That should have us taking PG unless of course our Gleaguer starts to play well.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm wondering if it might pay to give billy preston a call. just got released by the cavs, but he's not far removed at all from being one of the top HS recruits in the nation. all sorts of offensive potential. anyway, we're at 17 contracts right now - so someone like terrell or williams would have to be cut. unless we could just sign him directly to our Gleague team. but a 2way contract implies more, and preston might be looking for a more solid attachment.

anyway, picking him up as a developmental big is basically the same as an additional pick - and would allow us to use our first rounder this year wholeheartedly on BPA. thoughts?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am i'm wondering if it might pay to give billy preston a call. just got released by the cavs, but he's not far removed at all from being one of the top HS recruits in the nation. all sorts of offensive potential. anyway, we're at 17 contracts right now - so someone like terrell or williams would have to be cut. unless we could just sign him directly to our Gleague team. but a 2way contract implies more, and preston might be looking for a more solid attachment.

anyway, picking him up as a developmental big is basically the same as an additional pick - and would allow us to use our first rounder this year wholeheartedly on BPA. thoughts?
He has to be a complete puke. I can't see any other way a guy that freakish can't stick with the worst team in years. No problem cutting Williams as he was Okogie insurance anyway and he looks legit. Terrell I'm not cutting unless it's for a better PG prospect. Him becoming a player would really make it easy for us to make our PG decisions easier next year. At the very least would allow us to take a better player up front rather than reach for a PG.

By the way you need to get to youtube and watch some Konate. Guess who is shooting and hitting 3's? No, seriously.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm with you on keeping terrell till we figure out what's going on at the point. but i'd drop williams to add preston. we know what we have with williams, don't particularly need it at this juncture, and he's like 28 yrs old so what you see is what you'll get.

as for preston, there's just a load of tantalizing potential there that williams doesn't bring. what purpose does/might williams serve on this team vs. what purpose might preston serve? in some ways, he's like taj physically but with more of saric's skill set. i've never heard that he's a putz of the kind of magnitude that would keep him out of the league - could just be he's at where he is because of a weird set of circumstances. i think it'd be worth it to find out. at the very least, if we signed him now, we'd have the rest of the year to assess him - probably in iowa - and who knows? he might impress enough that we could cross "young big" off our list of needs come draft time.

having cj williams on the squad should not be the reason we don't take a roll of the dice on a guy like BP.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:29 pm i'm with you on keeping terrell till we figure out what's going on at the point. but i'd drop williams to add preston. we know what we have with williams, don't particularly need it at this juncture, and he's like 28 yrs old so what you see is what you'll get.

as for preston, there's just a load of tantalizing potential there that williams doesn't bring. what purpose does/might williams serve on this team vs. what purpose might preston serve? in some ways, he's like taj physically but with more of saric's skill set. i've never heard that he's a putz of the kind of magnitude that would keep him out of the league - could just be he's at where he is because of a weird set of circumstances. i think it'd be worth it to find out. at the very least, if we signed him now, we'd have the rest of the year to assess him - probably in iowa - and who knows? he might impress enough that we could cross "young big" off our list of needs come draft time.

having cj williams on the squad should not be the reason we don't take a roll of the dice on a guy like BP.
Agreed on Willams as the play of Okogie and the trade have made him utterly useless. Just don't think Preston is the type of guy you go after. I'm sure you remember I kept bringing him up last draft because no one knew him since he played 2 preseason games and was gone. But he was gone from Kansas. He went undrafted. Now he can't stick with the worst team in 10 years in Cle? That just smells. When a freak like him can't stick it's one of 2 things. He's a complete puke or he doesn't like basketball enough to learn it or work at it. That will not fly here. A little early in the Gleague season to see if anyone unaffiliated is breaking out but I think there's likely a better chance we go the Rose route and sign a street FA. If we continue to play well that is. Personally I'm with you on the young guy path but doubt we do it. Can't see Taylor spending one more dime unless Thibs is saying this guy will contribute to a win or 2.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Ok...now that we are in December, time to really rachet up the NCAA watching. I might be a bit buzzed...well drunk rather...but will be watching/recording Nevada/ASU game. Interested to see the Martin twins, Caleb in particular.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 am Ok...now that we are in December, time to really rachet up the NCAA watching. I might be a bit buzzed...well drunk rather...but will be watching/recording Nevada/ASU game. Interested to see the Martin twins, Caleb in particular.
I'm a college football fans as well but this is my favorite weekend of the year. When football is gone and there is nothing but basketball.

11 am ESPN. West VA and my favorite guy Sagaba Konate. 2nd biggest freak to only Zion. And after shooting no 3's his 1st 2 years he's shooting .429 on 3 attempts a game.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am
Stork311 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 am Ok...now that we are in December, time to really rachet up the NCAA watching. I might be a bit buzzed...well drunk rather...but will be watching/recording Nevada/ASU game. Interested to see the Martin twins, Caleb in particular.
I'm a college football fans as well but this is my favorite weekend of the year. When football is gone and there is nothing but basketball.

11 am ESPN. West VA and my favorite guy Sagaba Konate. 2nd biggest freak to only Zion. And after shooting no 3's his 1st 2 years he's shooting .429 on 3 attempts a game.
with Wolves likely in the late teens, early 20's, I am going to focus my attention there. Don't you expect Konate, with that body and temperament, to be long gone by that time?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:10 am

with Wolves likely in the late teens, early 20's, I am going to focus my attention there. Don't you expect Konate, with that body and temperament, to be long gone by that time?
Nope. For the same reason that Zion wasn't the obvious #1 from the jump. Teams still like height. It's weird. You can be long as hell and jump out of the guy. Dominate tall guys and you still see guys go to the combine and end up 6'6 and fall like a rock. And there is just a ton of crazy young talent in this draft. Not like top end superstar talent. More like Butler/Derozan level. But deep. And GM's will always break a tie with age. There will be probably 15 freshmen worthy of a 1st. Konate is a Jr. That will hurt him too. And even as much as I love him he is a 4th or 5th starter. I mean so are Covington and Taj so I take him any day. But GM's keep jobs by hitting on stars. At least that's what they think. Luckily for us our GM's boss is also our coach. Konate will definitely be on Thibs radar.

One other thing I want to keep mentioning is of course we don't have our 2nd rounder (as always) but luckily we do have Mia's and they are about to sell off and tank. There will be 1st round talent down at least to 40 and just maybe we will keep a 2nd when we would obviously sell a low 1st. Looking at where we are now and what our future needs are this could really be a huge draft for us.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 am

Nope. For the same reason that Zion wasn't the obvious #1 from the jump. Teams still like height. It's weird. You can be long as hell and jump out of the guy. Dominate tall guys and you still see guys go to the combine and end up 6'6 and fall like a rock. And there is just a ton of crazy young talent in this draft. Not like top end superstar talent. More like Butler/Derozan level. But deep. And GM's will always break a tie with age. There will be probably 15 freshmen worthy of a 1st. Konate is a Jr. That will hurt him too. And even as much as I love him he is a 4th or 5th starter. I mean so are Covington and Taj so I take him any day. But GM's keep jobs by hitting on stars. At least that's what they think. Luckily for us our GM's boss is also our coach. Konate will definitely be on Thibs radar.

One other thing I want to keep mentioning is of course we don't have our 2nd rounder (as always) but luckily we do have Mia's and they are about to sell off and tank. There will be 1st round talent down at least to 40 and just maybe we will keep a 2nd when we would obviously sell a low 1st. Looking at where we are now and what our future needs are this could really be a huge draft for us.
will take your word on that...his position in the 20's....and agree with GM tendencies. So many guys drafted now physically unprepared, both body and skill wise. At least a guy like Konate has the body to play now, and a fierce attitude. I agree he is a guy to like.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:43 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 am

will take your word on that...his position in the 20's....and agree with GM tendencies. So many guys drafted now physically unprepared, both body and skill wise. At least a guy like Konate has the body to play now, and a fierce attitude. I agree he is a guy to like.
It's the beauty of Thibs as the decision maker. He understands the value of tough role players. And once you are past the sure thing type upside guys at the top give me tough role players that play hard and smart every time.
witljon

Post by witljon »

You may be right because of the way Thibodeau uses his bench, but I think the Wolves still need to take the best available player regardless of position. We need another talent to add to our roster. Especially when injuries occur.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

not that i hope the wolves will fail this year - but i think we are in a bit of a honeymoon period, and that real life may reinstate itself at some point. meaning that i don't think it's a lock that we'll make the playoffs. we could still be drafting at the end of the lottery.

if it's say 12th, i'd love to swing a trade with boston - who can't possibly be keeping all 4 of this year's first rounders. and if that's the case, i think it's possible to get a couple 20ish picks from them and take both sagaba (who is still by nba standards, a PF/C in a 6-6 body) and darius garland (who will drop because of his knee surgery - but still, it's just a meniscus tear). we'll be hitting some heady cap numbers next year and need to add quality bench/developmental guys that won't cost much. the draft's the way to go.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:55 pm not that i hope the wolves will fail this year - but i think we are in a bit of a honeymoon period, and that real life may reinstate itself at some point. meaning that i don't think it's a lock that we'll make the playoffs. we could still be drafting at the end of the lottery.

if it's say 12th, i'd love to swing a trade with boston - who can't possibly be keeping all 4 of this year's first rounders. and if that's the case, i think it's possible to get a couple 20ish picks from them and take both sagaba (who is still by nba standards, a PF/C in a 6-6 body) and darius garland (who will drop because of his knee surgery - but still, it's just a meniscus tear). we'll be hitting some heady cap numbers next year and need to add quality bench/developmental guys that won't cost much. the draft's the way to go.
You are obsessed with young talent like that other.....................oh yeah, that's me. But this year even though I would love to get 2 top guys from a great crop we still have that Mia 2nd and it's high now and could get higher if they decide to go full sell off and tank. And as you know there is a hell of a lot better chance we keep a 2nd than an extra 1st. And really, if that Mia 2nd is high we might have a better route keeping our 1st and trading Bos that 2nd and another asset to move up.

It's gonna be a damn hard draft to gauge though with Teague's option and Rose and Gibson. And isn't Saric up for the early deal too?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Konate was awesome today. Really want that guy................and like 8 others but damn he's fun to watch.

On a team note Michigan is the best team in the country. So far it's not close either.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 pm Konate was awesome today. Really want that guy................and like 8 others but damn he's fun to watch.

On a team note Michigan is the best team in the country. So far it's not close either.
sagaba did play well - especially for someone who was doubtful for the game. and i'm a little confused about huggins and some of his comments. before the game, he said konate's game had "declined" due to a lingering knee issue that keeps him out of practice often. you know anything about that? as usual, i'm hoping it's enough of a question so that his draft stock slips - but not so much of a problem that it's a serious concern.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 pm Konate was awesome today. Really want that guy................and like 8 others but damn he's fun to watch.

sagaba did play well - especially for someone who was doubtful for the game. and i'm a little confused about huggins and some of his comments. before the game, he said konate's game had "declined" due to a lingering knee issue that keeps him out of practice often. you know anything about that? as usual, i'm hoping it's enough of a question so that his draft stock slips - but not so much of a problem that it's a serious concern.
You know Huggins. He wants 20 boards, 5 stl, and 5 blk from him. Didn't really get why the announcer kept calling him out for not playing well this year. Kept saying don't expand your game just be who you are. Well he's been playing only 20 minutes and he's shooting 40+ from 3.

He's top of my list right now just above Fernando and Gafford. There may be better all around talents where we pick but what I really think we need is a bigthat can move his feet and block a shot. Towns got killed in P&R at the end last night. Hedged too hard, didn't hedge, they killed us. Would be awesome in that spot to either have a big out there that can move his feet or to let Towns just hard hedge every time and have a shot blocker in the lane. When we have Towns and Gibson on the floor it would be great if Gibson was in the P&R and Towns was inside but teams are just too smart for that. Towns can't shuffle and Gibson can't block.