Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
jffl_commish

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by jffl_commish »

I'm one that doesn't see it. No chance he can play PG at the next level. He's mediocre at best at it in college. Granted, that isn't his fault that he has to play it. That's 100% on Pitino.

But, how does he play at the next level? He doesn't shoot for shit, and the extended 3-point line will hurt that even further. His handles are average. How will that translate against better & bigger defenders? He'll be ok on D and the boards, but is that enough to warrant a roster spot?
Let's get Tropical
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

steve silverman of bleacher report's latest mock has us taking kz okpala. interestingly, he's got darius garland going one pick later.

he's also got rui hachimura going #3 overall. wha??!?!?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am steve silverman of bleacher report's latest mock has us taking kz okpala. interestingly, he's got darius garland going one pick later.

Hachimura has cemented his spot in the top 5. Okpala I just don't get. He's got good length and he might just be that guy I catch on every bad night but I've watched them 6-7 times and can't find him on the floor most of the time. If we took him before Garland ...........................well...................it would be an over the top response. A gotta take it on the lamb now response.

Man it would be nice to do some losing and get back to pick 10 instead of 14. I think that C. White has passed Garland for now but still a ton of lotto teams need PG and Garland right now is down because of the out of sight out of mind deal. He'll be fine come workout time. Right now Garland seems like the only guy I would take at our pick. If he's gone I am taking what I can get to trade down. Lots of good bigs and all similar value.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am steve silverman of bleacher report's latest mock has us taking kz okpala. interestingly, he's got darius garland going one pick later.

Hachimura has cemented his spot in the top 5. Okpala I just don't get. He's got good length and he might just be that guy I catch on every bad night but I've watched them 6-7 times and can't find him on the floor most of the time. If we took him before Garland ...........................well...................it would be an over the top response. A gotta take it on the lamb now response.

Man it would be nice to do some losing and get back to pick 10 instead of 14. I think that C. White has passed Garland for now but still a ton of lotto teams need PG and Garland right now is down because of the out of sight out of mind deal. He'll be fine come workout time. Right now Garland seems like the only guy I would take at our pick. If he's gone I am taking what I can get to trade down. Lots of good bigs and all similar value.
The Wolves still have never moved up in the draft. And if their luck were to finally change after all these years, it would be to 2 or 3 and not to the top spot. Because it now appears to me to be a big drop off from Zion to the next 6 to 8 prospects. With that said, I highly doubt we get a top 10 pick.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:46 am
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am

The Wolves still have never moved up in the draft. And if their luck were to finally change after all these years, it would be to 2 or 3 and not to the top spot. Because it now appears to me to be a big drop off from Zion to the next 6 to 8 prospects. With that said, I highly doubt we get a top 10 pick.
All of the top 3 are amazing prospects. No way I'd bet against them all being multiple time alstars and all NBA guys. But considering we are looking at a 5% chance and we are who we are I'd be betting on 13 or 14 as our pick.

I do believe that Garland would have been top 6 no doubt had he played all year. Just praying now that his time missed somehow drops him to us. Seriously doubt he gets out of the top 10 though.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:08 pm I'm one that doesn't see it. No chance he can play PG at the next level. He's mediocre at best at it in college. Granted, that isn't his fault that he has to play it. That's 100% on Pitino.

But, how does he play at the next level? He doesn't shoot for shit, and the extended 3-point line will hurt that even further. His handles are average. How will that translate against better & bigger defenders? He'll be ok on D and the boards, but is that enough to warrant a roster spot?
He doesn't shoot for shit? He shot 37% from three last year. IMO the dip is due to playing pg. He's got a good handle for a 6'8 player. If you don't think the NBA can find a use for his versatility... I'm not sure what to tell you.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

We don't agree on his future possibilities, and that's ok. No big deal.
Let's get Tropical
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Nothing get my draft juice flowing more than a full page of arguing over a guy not good enough to make a Gleague team.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Amir Coffey will have a great pro career... in Europe. His handles are mediocre and he makes Wiggins look strong.

Now back to guys that can help our Wolves I too doubt Garland slides out of the Top 10 once he is healthy he will dazzle with his elite shooting and handle.

I really like Charles Bassey strong dude who unlikely Gourgi seems to have good hands and instincts. He lacks lateral ability to guard most 4's but I think he could do the dirty work inside and let Towns freelance more.

He is likely a later 1st Round guy but I like his motor and grit.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Joboo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:13 am Amir Coffey will have a great pro career... in Europe. His handles are mediocre and he makes Wiggins look strong.

Now back to guys that can help our Wolves I too doubt Garland slides out of the Top 10 once he is healthy he will dazzle with his elite shooting and handle.

I really like Charles Bassey strong dude who unlikely Gourgi seems to have good hands and instincts. He lacks lateral ability to guard most 4's but I think he could do the dirty work inside and let Towns freelance more.

He is likely a later 1st Round guy but I like his motor and grit.
I do not like Bassey at all. Looks like the next coming of Felton Spencer. Just a really big guy who has exactly 1 move. Catch ball, turn around, shoot. and his mediocre shot blocking for a guy his size and level of competition will be negated in the NBA because he can't just stand in the lane. He's just a really bad fit with Towns. We need a guy who can move his feet in the P&R and block a shot when they put Towns in it. More than a few of them out there.

Still just praying some how we can get Garland though. Be nice to check of PG for the next 10 years.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Coby white or Tre Jones with the wolves pick? We need a PG
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think at 14ish we'll be stuck in that no man's PG land of too late for morant/garland/white and too early for jones/dosunmu/jerome/hagans/nowell.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 am i think at 14ish we'll be stuck in that no man's PG land of too late for morant/garland/white and too early for jones/dosunmu/jerome/hagans/nowell.
That is a cliff of a drop off and unfortunately I see no way we are on the right side of it.

As we are the Wolves, this time of year is all about watching guys I don't want and hoping they have great tournaments. We always seem to be just out of reach of the guys we really need. One guy to really root for is Nickiel Alexander-Walker. I am not a big fan at all but you hear a lot of him playing PG in the NBA. Don't see it myself but Gilges-Allexander really jumped last year on the same kind of size/length he has. Him going before Garland would be freakin huge. HUGE!

If that doesn't happen then we appear to be right at the end of the top wings. Being that it's not a need for us we should be able to get something to move back with a team chasing the last of the top wings and we can still be right in the middle of all the top bigs. That's the smart plan if we can't get PG. Wonder what we'll do.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Just saw that the Wolves were projected to take 6' 6" Indiana shooting guard Romeo Langford with their #12 overall pick. Here were his listed strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths
FTA Rate
Draft Age
Blocks
Fouls
Wingspan

Weaknesses
3P%
Steals
Proj NBA 3P%
EFG%
Off Rating
Off Win Shares
Win Shares
TS%
Off Box +/-
Box +/-
AST%/Usage
AST/TO
FT%

If this is the type of bullshit teams value in the first round, especially in the lottery, no wonder so many picks flame out. For reference, here were Curry's listed strengths and weaknesses in 2009:

Strengths
Win Shares
Proj NBA 3P%
Off Win Shares
Steals
FT%
TS%
Def Rebounds
EFG%

Weaknesses
Turnovers
Wingspan
AST/TO
Fouls
Draft Age
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the guy i'm worried about for the wolves is nassir little. he's dropping into our range but still has that "top 4 talent" baggage hanging around his neck. i could see a marketing dept going for that. he just hasn't done much at the collegiate level - some of it might be williams' system - some maybe that he's overrated. he's supposed to have a good motor and character, so there's that - but also hardly any feel for the game, which makes me want to run away screaming.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:08 pm the guy i'm worried about for the wolves is nassir little. he's dropping into our range but still has that "top 4 talent" baggage hanging around his neck. i could see a marketing dept going for that. he just hasn't done much at the collegiate level - some of it might be williams' system - some maybe that he's overrated. he's supposed to have a good motor and character, so there's that - but also hardly any feel for the game, which makes me want to run away screaming.
Gets comped to Kidd-Gilchrist a lot and you can see why. Big and strong and can defend and rebound but can't shoot and really no go to to be able to score. Not that we couldn't use tough and strong but on the wing? No thanks. He's the kind of guy that falls to us and you move back with someone intrigued with his upside and fit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i feel that if we just resign deng to a simple and small deal, SF is perhaps our strongest position. covington-KBD-deng. unlike the nervous nellies around here claiming the sky is falling, i think bob is probably fine and just taking his time to recover from a legit bone bruise in a meaningless season. so ... yeah, no to little.

hey thrill - you like jaylen nowell?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm i feel that if we just resign deng to a simple and small deal, SF is perhaps our strongest position. covington-KBD-deng. unlike the nervous nellies around here claiming the sky is falling, i think bob is probably fine and just taking his time to recover from a legit bone bruise in a meaningless season. so ... yeah, no to little.

hey thrill - you like jaylen nowell?
Don't pay enough attention to him when I watch because I am obsessed with Thybull. Don't think he can play PG in the NBA though. Maybe if he plays with another handler. Another good defender though.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

I will say this again. Get Murphy in camp and no way in hell he doesn't make the team and help. He will be one of those guys no one thought could play in the NBA and ends up being a 12 year bad ass contributor.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Zion or Ja Morrant. Let's go!
Let's get Tropical
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I guess it is officially time to sign on to this thread.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:57 pm Zion or Ja Morrant. Let's go!
Morrant is going to be a stud, I don’t want to be greedy give me the 2
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Can I come to your powerball winning party too?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Its starting to look like these two will go 1 and 2.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:01 am
Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:54 pm
Can I come to your powerball winning party too?
Hey, what team is most due (overdue) to finally move up?

We gotta think positive no matter how bleak things look.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Zion is goddamn ridiculous. Most dominant college player since Shaq?
Let's get Tropical
witljon

Post by witljon »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:30 pm Zion is goddamn ridiculous. Most dominant college player since Shaq?
What would be his comparison? Charles Barkley? Karl Malone? Dwight Howard?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just saw a breakdown for pingpong ball odds in the lottery. we're projected to have the 11th pick - which gives us a 2% shot at Zion, but a fairly healthy 9.4% shot at a top 4 pick. which begs the question - if we move up to the 4th pick, what would we do assuming zion, ja and barrett are already off the board? no twofer deals are popping out at me - but if there was a way to get both a PG like garland AND a PF like brandon clarke, that would be ideal. how could that get swung if we owned the #4? i'd consider something like that even if we landed the 3rd and a shot at barrett. let's see - primarily a volume scorer, one and done from a major college team, 6-7 200 SF, FROM CANADA!!!!!

run away!!! run away!!!

ncaa update for those of you not on the brandon clarke bus: 7 minutes left in the zags game against nova, clarke is 12 of 15 from the field - 28 pts - with 5 rebs - 2 steals and 5 blocks. god, i want him on our team.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he is just so quick and aware and intense and athletic - like a bigger version of wiggins.... if wiggins were super aware, intense and quick. late in the game, a zag guard drove the lane and dumped a badly thrown pass off to clarke - who was completely ready for it anyway, reached back and corraled it with GREAT HANDS (i didn't mention his hands), turned and went into two defenders at the rim, but scored on a really controlled sweet shot over both of them. i would wager a bet that andrew wiggins couldn't make that play 99 out of 100 times. he wouldn't be in position for the pass, or he wouldn't be ready for the pass, or he would drop the pass, or he would catch the pass but then have it knocked out of his hands, or he'd catch the pass but go up weakly in the defenders and get snuffed, or or or...

but for clarke, it's just what he does and who he is.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

New draft crush, and right now would probably be available around our pick...Though he might fly up boards after his measurements come in from the combine.

Sekou Doumbouya out of France.