Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Thrillkill

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 pm does packaging our pick plus saric to the nets for their 27th and 31th plus jarrett allen do anything for you? and would the nets bite on that?
Yeah, it makes me want to sell my soul to make it happen. Nets wouldn't do it though. Allen one of their young building blocks.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

what if we went saric, okogie and the first rounder?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:53 pm what if we went saric, okogie and the first rounder?
I wouldn't trade Okogie if you gave me 100% of the team and the meaning of life.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:31 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:53 pm what if we went saric, okogie and the first rounder?
I wouldn't trade Okogie if you gave me 100% of the team and the meaning of life.
I am not that overboard, but we finally have a kid who plays defense and can be a culture changer, trading him just seems like a step back especially in a deal like this.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

it'd be hard for me to pass. and i like okogie a lot. but in that deal you'd get the young, athletic and long, Dminded C/PF you could pair with KAT for years to come - and with the two brooklyn picks, you could use one to land schofield to replace okogie. the admiral's also a very tough defender, but comes out of college with a much better shot than josh. the other option would simply be to use our lottery pick on someone like jaxson hayes - but i think much is up in the air about hayes' nba readiness. you know that jarrett allen's already been looking really good - it's a surer bet. but, as thrill said, i think the nets would be a tough sell to move allen.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Joboo

Post by Joboo »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:31 pm
:lol: me too besides Okogie is life
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 am The Wolves have fallen from the 10th spot to the 14th spot in the lottery with our two game win streak.
Which is typical for this team.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:50 pm it'd be hard for me to pass. and i like okogie a lot. but in that deal you'd get the young, athletic and long, Dminded C/PF you could pair with KAT for years to come - and with the two brooklyn picks, you could use one to land schofield to replace okogie. the admiral's also a very tough defender, but comes out of college with a much better shot than josh. the other option would simply be to use our lottery pick on someone like jaxson hayes - but i think much is up in the air about hayes' nba readiness. you know that jarrett allen's already been looking really good - it's a surer bet. but, as thrill said, i think the nets would be a tough sell to move allen.
There are 4-5 guys in our range who are essentially the same level of defensive big prospect as Allen was.You likely have to give them a year + too to get to Allen's current level but I'd rather do that than pay the extra price.

Saric though I am for trading. Not just dumping or to throw in to move up but you can do some interesting stuff with a guy like him. Stuff where you actually get a pretty big return. You find a good team looking to take another step now with a mid to lower 1st and you can take back 125% of Saric number in players they don't use. Then they are getting a player ready to contribute and maybe even a little cap savings. Could maybe even squeeze out an extra 2nd from them. This would be especially cool if we happen to get lucky and Garland falls to our 1st.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't think there's such an assurance that all the top bigs in this draft class will get to allen's level in 2 years. bol, bassey, gafford, porter, konate, fernando, hayes - all have holes in their games so they aren't sure things. in two years, 4 of these guys could be more like nerlens noel than jarrett allen. you said that the nets wouldn't trade allen for little because (i think you said this) that he's part of their core. i don't think that's based on projections - i think they're basing that on his performance and what they've actually seen. so if we could use a crystal ball to see which of the 2019 bigs will be successful, then yeah - it's a better value to take that guy. but we already KNOW that jarrett allen is shaping up to be a pretty damn good player - an nba starter - so to me that's worth a lot.

as for okogie, i love him and his D and his effort - but he is still a major project on O. (cam reynolds is looking more polished than josh) - so it's conceivable to trade him and use a pick from that trade on guys like schofield or thybulle - and you'd have nearly the same great D (or maybe better D in thybulle's case) with an equal chance at turning that player into the offensive threat that you're also only hoping at this point that josh could become.

and then let's not forget this deal would then also include a second pick somewhere in the late 20s or early 30s. konate? edwards? howard? reid? clarke? washington? i'd look real hard at a trade like this.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm i don't think there's such an assurance that all the top bigs in this draft class will get to allen's level in 2 years. bol, bassey, gafford, porter, konate, fernando, hayes - all have holes in their games so they aren't sure things. in two years, 4 of these guys could be more like nerlens noel than jarrett allen. you said that the nets wouldn't trade allen for little because (i think you said this) that he's part of their core. i don't think that's based on projections - i think they're basing that on his performance and what they've actually seen. so if we could use a crystal ball to see which of the 2019 bigs will be successful, then yeah - it's a better value to take that guy. but we already KNOW that jarrett allen is shaping up to be a pretty damn good player - an nba starter - so to me that's worth a lot.

as for okogie, i love him and his D and his effort - but he is still a major project on O. (cam reynolds is looking more polished than josh) - so it's conceivable to trade him and use a pick from that trade on guys like schofield or thybulle - and you'd have nearly the same great D (or maybe better D in thybulle's case) with an equal chance at turning that player into the offensive threat that you're also only hoping at this point that josh could become.

and then let's not forget this deal would then also include a second pick somewhere in the late 20s or early 30s. konate? edwards? howard? reid? clarke? washington? i'd look real hard at a trade like this.
There isn't any assurance. In fact I'd guess to say that none of them are as good as Allen in 2 or 3 years. This isn't a good draft class for bigs, especially if you don't consider Brandon Clarke a natural "big."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

quick look at a potential post-trade roster:

C: KAT - dieng - khem birch or norvelle pelle
PF: jarrett allen - sagaba konate or naz reid
SF: lord cov - KBD - deng
SG: wiggins (swallow hard) - admiral schofield or matisse thybulle - cam reynolds
PG: rajon rondo - teague (if he stays) or jones (if he leaves) - carsen edwards

the trade would get us most of the parts. only FA signing of real note would be getting rondo out of LA (but he seems unhappy there anyway), and then minor signings: birch or pelle, deng, cam reynolds, tyus (if teague opts out). that's a squad with a lot more D to draw from.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 pm quick look at a potential post-trade roster:

C: KAT - dieng - khem birch or norvelle pelle
PF: jarrett allen - sagaba konate or naz reid
SF: lord cov - KBD - deng
SG: wiggins (swallow hard) - admiral schofield or matisse thybulle - cam reynolds
PG: rajon rondo - teague (if he stays) or jones (if he leaves) - carsen edwards

the trade would get us most of the parts. only FA signing of real note would be getting rondo out of LA (but he seems unhappy there anyway), and then minor signings: birch or pelle, deng, cam reynolds, tyus (if teague opts out). that's a squad with a lot more D to draw from.
Much better defensive team but also maybe the worst shooting team in the NBA. But I like Allen.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm i don't think there's such an assurance that all the top bigs in this draft class will get to allen's level in 2 years. bol, bassey, gafford, porter, konate, fernando, hayes - all have holes in their games so they aren't sure things. in two years, 4 of these guys could be more like nerlens noel than jarrett allen. you said that the nets wouldn't trade allen for little because (i think you said this) that he's part of their core. i don't think that's based on projections - i think they're basing that on his performance and what they've actually seen. so if we could use a crystal ball to see which of the 2019 bigs will be successful, then yeah - it's a better value to take that guy. but we already KNOW that jarrett allen is shaping up to be a pretty damn good player - an nba starter - so to me that's worth a lot.

Dude that is not an argument for anything. You can literally say that about every player every year. There's no proof Zion won't quit basketball to be a cook so we should trade #1 if we get it.

Jarret Allen went 22. He had zero offensive game. And he was part of a huge group of bigs who were as low rated as this one is. See you next year when it;s the exact same thing.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Dude that is not an argument for anything. You can literally say that about every player every year. There's no proof Zion won't quit basketball to be a cook so we should trade #1 if we get it.

Jarret Allen went 22. He had zero offensive game. And he was part of a huge group of bigs who were as low rated as this one is. See you next year when it;s the exact same thing.
but that's my point exactly - and it's got nothing to do with one of these guys getting hit by a bus or deciding to be a cook instead of a baller. we KNOW that jarrett allen is looking like a pretty good nba player. we don't know about the guys in this year's draft, just like we didn't know about the guys in the 2017 draft. first round bigs that year included allen, kyle kuzma, bam adebayo and john collins. cool. but they also included jonathon isaac, zach collins, justin patton, tj leaf, harry giles, tyler lydon, anzejs pasecniks, caleb swanigan and tony bradley - none of which have exactly set the world on fire. some have a chance, i'll admit, of developing into something - but at this point, it's still a question mark. allen would be the bird in the hand.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 am
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 pm

but that's my point exactly - and it's got nothing to do with one of these guys getting hit by a bus or deciding to be a cook instead of a baller. we KNOW that jarrett allen is looking like a pretty good nba player. we don't know about the guys in this year's draft, just like we didn't know about the guys in the 2017 draft. first round bigs that year included allen, kyle kuzma, bam adebayo and john collins. cool. but they also included jonathon isaac, zach collins, justin patton, tj leaf, harry giles, tyler lydon, anzejs pasecniks, caleb swanigan and tony bradley - none of which have exactly set the world on fire. some have a chance, i'll admit, of developing into something - but at this point, it's still a question mark. allen would be the bird in the hand.
No, that class of bigs was really underrated because of the splash at the top of the draft. Same as this year. If you remember I was huge on J. Collins but also liked Allen on a trade back. You were big on Bam and also liked Allen in a trade back. All of that plus the Patton pick if he doesn't get hurt is correct. It was not a disappointing class it was underrated. Except for workout warrior Z. Collins but that was obvious.

The draft is the draft. You can say about everyone from Jordan to T. Hassel that you don't know until they play. What current player can't you say that about? How many guys switch teams and drop off the map? How many get hurt? Go hollywood and stop playing hard? Get passed on a depth chart and lose their mojo? It happens to more NBA players a year than it does to 1st round picks.

You also come up short in the bird in the hand argument. Here's why.

Allen has 1 less year on his deal than Okogie does. Incredibly important if the shitbird is your owner.

Using Saric in this deal keeps you from using him in another. He is a good player who can contribute to a winning team and doesn't fit great with Towns.

There is not a giant difference between 14 and 20 where their 1st might be. But for their other at like #27? that's a big difference. Especially when it come to trade possibilities.

A bird in the hand is the birds in our hands. Okogie, a lotto pick, Saric. If all you can come away with for that is Allen and a late 1st to try to get someone close to Okogie? That's not good value. Course we are arguing a moot point since Nets wouldn't do it. Not because they don't get good value but because they are in next step mode with money to spend. They will not break up a young core they don't have to pay yet.

I am also as far out from double down mode as I can be. I have been at this point too many times to think that Taylor will do anything else but cut salary and nix good deals. You have to fool him now. You have to tell him we need extra picks because we aren't spending money otherwise he will sell picks to pay players and the balk at paying them. You know it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the bird in the hand reference means this: we know that jarrett allen is a pretty good player. if we could land him in a trade, he'd be our bird in the hand. the two or three or five in the bush are the 2019 draft class bigs who would be available to us - none of which are sure things.

i think what you said about the nets not moving him is probably right though. i wouldn't rule it out entirely - unless his play that can't be accounted by stats is off the charts and the nets recognize that. but statswise, in his last two games, he's had a combined 19 pts and 13 rebounds with 3 blocks. if someone waved a lottery pick at you in exchange for that, you might at least sit up and think about it for a minute. maybe?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 pm the bird in the hand reference means this: we know that jarrett allen is a pretty good player. if we could land him in a trade, he'd be our bird in the hand. the two or three or five in the bush are the 2019 draft class bigs who would be available to us - none of which are sure things.

i think what you said about the nets not moving him is probably right though. i wouldn't rule it out entirely - unless his play that can't be accounted by stats is off the charts and the nets recognize that. but statswise, in his last two games, he's had a combined 19 pts and 13 rebounds with 3 blocks. if someone waved a lottery pick at you in exchange for that, you might at least sit up and think about it for a minute. maybe?
And what I'm saying is you no more have a bird in the hand with him than with a pick. And you certainly don't with him over Okogie and Saric who are literally in our hand. Not that I don't like Allen. Not that I think he's untouchable for them. I don't think what it would take to get him is worth it for us.

We are 2 teams in different spots. We really aren't at all except we have a miser moron owner. But with that said they are saving every dollar for FA's. They would not want a 13-14th pick which would make as much as Allen, pluas 2 additional salaries before FA even begins. And the last thing we need is a 3 for 1 or 3 for 2 trade. You know the vet exodus is coming again. We all know the smell. We need as many young players and picks and picks as we can get because Taylor will not pay vets and he will want to sell at least 1 pick.

Anyone and everyone who thinks even with the best of luck we ever sniff being good is kidding themselves. There is one and only one plan. Have as much in the cupboard when Taylor dies as possible. The end.

What a shitty team. Literally the only good thing about it is what we get for being bad. Yeah!.........fuck...
ChrisPaulGeorgeHill

Post by ChrisPaulGeorgeHill »

Anyone here a fan of Keldon Johnson or think he would be a good fit with us?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

there's something wessy about him that turns me off.

i know he came up as our pick in a recent prominent mock. another one had us taking brandon clarke. i could be completely wrong here, but the latter excites me more than the former.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Amir Coffey for the wolves?
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Give me Coby White
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 pm Amir Coffey for the wolves?
Coffey isn’t even a 2nd round talent.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Please win the Zion lottery. Please win the Zion lottery. Please win the Zion lottery.
Let's get Tropical
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 pm Please win the Zion lottery. Please win the Zion lottery. Please win the Zion lottery.
Ja Morant is a nice consolation prize if we get 2 lol
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pm
Ben Simmons lite
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I think he has the talent actually, not sure he'll get picked this year but next year? Sure. If he continues to play the way he's played as of late and does well next year off the ball like he did his freshmen year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:01 pm Give me Coby White
x2 I like what I see.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:57 am
I think he has the talent actually, not sure he'll get picked this year but next year? Sure. If he continues to play the way he's played as of late and does well next year off the ball like he did his freshmen year.
Of course he’s talented. He’s been very good the last 3 weeks. But if he came out this year, he’s not getting drafted from every draftnik I read. Sam Vecenie doesn’t have him in his top 100, and neither does Jonathan Givony. We’re not even sure what his position is. If he’s a wing he needs to drastically improve his perimeter shooting, and if a PG, then he needs to improve his ball handling and passing for the NBA.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Of course he’s talented. He’s been very good the last 3 weeks. But if he came out this year, he’s not getting drafted from every draftnik I read. Sam Vecenie doesn’t have him in his top 100, and neither does Jonathan Givony. We’re not even sure what his position is. If he’s a wing he needs to drastically improve his perimeter shooting, and if a PG, then he needs to improve his ball handling and passing for the NBA.
That's why he'll do the predraft workouts/camps and get feedback. I'm ready to start making some bets with Coffey haters (not you) whether he makes it to the NBA.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:11 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 pm

That's why he'll do the predraft workouts/camps and get feedback. I'm ready to start making some bets with Coffey haters (not you) whether he makes it to the NBA.
I unblocked you on Twitter btw bro. At the time, I was assuming you wanted to harass me on there too. :beer:
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan