Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

like i said before, i think drafting hunter would just be pouring SF gravy on top of more SF gravy. when we have a lonely looking PF meatball in need of a second meatball.

okay, maybe i took that analogy farther than it needed to go.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:06 pm like i said before, i think drafting hunter would just be pouring SF gravy on top of more SF gravy. when we have a lonely looking PF meatball in need of a second meatball.

Hunter could easily cover 4’s in today’s nba. I think you’re overthinking this. No disrespect intended.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:17 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:06 pm like i said before, i think drafting hunter would just be pouring SF gravy on top of more SF gravy. when we have a lonely looking PF meatball in need of a second meatball.

Hunter could easily cover 4’s in today’s nba. I think you’re overthinking this. No disrespect intended.
Have you heard of these things called rebounds? I could see why maybe not considering we get none. Can he get more that the 5 he gets a game in college in your "modern NBA"? Kind of important for a 4.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

It's exactly true and saved me the thinking on the what's for dinner subject.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

And I think you need to consider KBD as a "4", not a SF.

Your guy Clarke may be a great athlete, but if you cannot shoot from distance in the NBA you are going to have a limited role.

My second choice, right now, would be Daniel Gafford. If I am going to draft a player that cannot shoot, then his skills are what I would look for to be part of the post rotation.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:41 pm

And I think you need to consider KBD as a "4", not a SF.

Your guy Clarke may be a great athlete, but if you cannot shoot from distance in the NBA you are going to have a limited role.

My second choice, right now, would be Daniel Gafford. If I am going to draft a player that cannot shoot, then his skills are what I would look for to be part of the post rotation.
Who was that Buck with the limited role last night. The one that will be MVP?

And Gafford would be just fine too. And KBD is certainly not a 4 no matter how obsessed with 3 point shooting and positionless basketball you are
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Have you heard of these things called rebounds? I could see why maybe not considering we get none. Can he get more that the 5 he gets a game in college in your "modern NBA"? Kind of important for a 4.
I’ve never heard of rebounds. Please explain.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:07 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:40 pm

I’ve never heard of rebounds. Please explain.
Get some film or yesterdays NBA. Or these things called the playoffs.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

The best teams in the playoffs play small in crunch time. :lol: Houston played Trevor Ariza at the 4 against GS. GS had Durant at the 4. Boston had Jayson Tatum play the 4 against Cleveland. The NBA playoffs is about defensive versatility and guys who can guard multiple positions and switch. You think it’s still 1995. You should stop watching today’s NBA and just pop in Knicks vs Pacers games from 1994.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:19 pm The best teams in the playoffs play small in crunch time. :lol: Houston played Trevor Ariza at the 4 against GS. GS had Durant at the 4. Boston had Jayson Tatum play the 4 against Cleveland. The NBA playoffs is about defensive versatility and guys who can guard multiple positions and switch. You think it’s still 1995. You should stop watching today’s NBA and just pop in Knicks vs Pacers games from 1994.
Lets see. Top 4 teams in east Bucks, Raptors, Pacers Sixers. All Midgets.

Top 4 in the west Warriors, Nuggets, Thunder, Blazers. All Hobbits.

Not that they are all huge and great defensive rebounding teams though.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm just disagree. deandre hunter is a very good defender - brandon clarke is one of the best defenders in all of college ball - plus i think clarke projects out more as a PF who can play other spots, while hunter is more of a SF who can play other spots. clarke is clearly the superior athlete - hunter clearly the superior shooter from three. and you're downplaying clarke's offense - he's not the first option on his team, oftentimes he's more the third option. yet, the efficiency is undeniable - 70% on his twos compared to a very nice 55% for hunter. yes, that means that clarke - thru his extraordinary athleticism is finishing super well at the rim - so maybe he has an incomplete offensive arsenal, but the rap on hunter is that he's simply a straight line drive guy who is also an incomplete package on O. clarke does pretty well for being a poor offensive player IYO - per 40 numbers of 24/12/3 with 1.8 steals and 4.4 blocks compared to hunter's per 40 numbers of 20/7/3 with 0.9 steals and 0.5 blocks. you're selling clarke short. he's not chopped liver by any stretch and would be a great addition to our PF group.
70% means his shooting range doesn't extend past the rim.

AS far as selling Clarke short, that isn't the point. There is just no way I select him over Hunter and I doubt there are very many others that would either. Hunter is just a better prospect and I think there is a 75% chance he does not make the Wolves draft position assuming we draft in our spot.

And, people claiming that KBD is a "3" are idiots. WHile it is obvious that the modern NBA has moved far far away from the concept of "positions", the "numbers" still have some relevance on the defensive spectrum. KBD is way more of a 4 defender than a 3 defender, although he can defend other forwards in a pinch, you don't want him on the other teams quicker forward for very long.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

have you watched brandon clarke play much? saying his shooting touch doesn't extend past the rim is just throwing words out there. he's got a really nice game getting to the rim off the bounce from the perimeter - and he's got a really effective jump hook floater type shot from the paint that's no where near being a dunk. super good efficiency on it because he rises above the defense so well that it's a pretty unimpaired shot from 6 to 8 feet out. what makes clarke so efficient isn't necessarily that he's only dunking - it's rather that he's a really smart team player who simply doesn't take crappy shots.

and sorry, not an idiot here. kbd looked just fine the past two games as a 3. for example, if deandre hunter gets chosen ahead of our spot and plays the 3 for some other team? i'd have no problem guarding him with KBD.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:47 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm just disagree. deandre hunter is a very good defender - brandon clarke is one of the best defenders in all of college ball - plus i think clarke projects out more as a PF who can play other spots, while hunter is more of a SF who can play other spots. clarke is clearly the superior athlete - hunter clearly the superior shooter from three. and you're downplaying clarke's offense - he's not the first option on his team, oftentimes he's more the third option. yet, the efficiency is undeniable - 70% on his twos compared to a very nice 55% for hunter. yes, that means that clarke - thru his extraordinary athleticism is finishing super well at the rim - so maybe he has an incomplete offensive arsenal, but the rap on hunter is that he's simply a straight line drive guy who is also an incomplete package on O. clarke does pretty well for being a poor offensive player IYO - per 40 numbers of 24/12/3 with 1.8 steals and 4.4 blocks compared to hunter's per 40 numbers of 20/7/3 with 0.9 steals and 0.5 blocks. you're selling clarke short. he's not chopped liver by any stretch and would be a great addition to our PF group.
70% means his shooting range doesn't extend past the rim.

AS far as selling Clarke short, that isn't the point. There is just no way I select him over Hunter and I doubt there are very many others that would either. Hunter is just a better prospect and I think there is a 75% chance he does not make the Wolves draft position assuming we draft in our spot.

And, people claiming that KBD is a "3" are idiots. WHile it is obvious that the modern NBA has moved far far away from the concept of "positions", the "numbers" still have some relevance on the defensive spectrum. KBD is way more of a 4 defender than a 3 defender, although he can defend other forwards in a pinch, you don't want him on the other teams quicker forward for very long.
Wow. You are the only one left in the world that's not an idiot. I guess.

For everyone else, you ever notice the stupidest people are always the ones who think they are genius I.Q.once in a life time scientists and everyone else is retarded? Wonder why that is. Because they aren't..................idiots............or anything.

Hey, for all the idiots what position was KBD playing the last 2 games? Were those games in 1987? Me confused!

Hey, is that crappy guy who can't shoot past the FT line still playing in Milwaukee? What's him name? MVP or something?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:24 pm have you watched brandon clarke play much? saying his shooting touch doesn't extend past the rim is just throwing words out there. he's got a really nice game getting to the rim off the bounce from the perimeter - and he's got a really effective jump hook floater type shot from the paint that's no where near being a dunk. super good efficiency on it because he rises above the defense so well that it's a pretty unimpaired shot from 6 to 8 feet out. what makes clarke so efficient isn't necessarily that he's only dunking - it's rather that he's a really smart team player who simply doesn't take crappy shots.

and sorry, not an idiot here. kbd looked just fine the past two games as a 3. for example, if deandre hunter gets chosen ahead of our spot and plays the 3 for some other team? i'd have no problem guarding him with KBD.
He's never seen him.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:50 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:24 pm have you watched brandon clarke play much? saying his shooting touch doesn't extend past the rim is just throwing words out there. he's got a really nice game getting to the rim off the bounce from the perimeter - and he's got a really effective jump hook floater type shot from the paint that's no where near being a dunk. super good efficiency on it because he rises above the defense so well that it's a pretty unimpaired shot from 6 to 8 feet out. what makes clarke so efficient isn't necessarily that he's only dunking - it's rather that he's a really smart team player who simply doesn't take crappy shots.

He's never seen him.
Gonzaga is on ESPN or ESPN2 every Saturday night at 9 or 10pm central. I’m sure he’s seen him play. Contrary to your belief you’re not the only person who watches college basketball.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:11 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:50 pm

He's never seen him.
Gonzaga is on ESPN or ESPN2 every Saturday night at 9 or 10pm central. I’m sure he’s seen him play. Contrary to your belief you’re not the only person who watches college basketball.
Thanks Mlhouse's mom. Such a nice thing to try to defend his obviously wrong assessments while he calls people who have actually watched stupid.

Next time you want to defend him from me just call my mom directly.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

If you used KBD in that way he will have a very short NBA career. He can rotate to cover the quicker forwards but he isn't going to make a living doing it. He is a stretch-4 in the NBA if anything.

Lastly, while I don't agree with you about Clarke, that is in college, and he will not be able to have the same game in the NBA, particularly since he is a limited shooter. How do you have a "off the bounce from the perimeter" game if no one has to respect you on the perimeter?

Is Brandon Clarke a first round draft pick? Sure. Could he go late lottery? Yep, to the right team. Do I take him instead of DeAndre Hunter? NO FUCKING WAY.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:40 pm

If you used KBD in that way he will have a very short NBA career. He can rotate to cover the quicker forwards but he isn't going to make a living doing it. He is a stretch-4 in the NBA if anything.

Lastly, while I don't agree with you about Clarke, that is in college, and he will not be able to have the same game in the NBA, particularly since he is a limited shooter. How do you have a "off the bounce from the perimeter" game if no one has to respect you on the perimeter?

Is Brandon Clarke a first round draft pick? Sure. Could he go late lottery? Yep, to the right team. Do I take him instead of DeAndre Hunter? NO FUCKING WAY.
Peterson had a great comp for him when he called him Derick McKey. He started off for many years as a 3 using his length to his advantage against 3's both on O and D. Later in his career he put on the strength to be able to play against the smaller 4's on D and at least take bigger 4's outside to "negate" what they did to him inside. That's what KBD can be but not until he puts on the requisite strength. You can't look at him now and think that's coming in a year or 2. I guess some teams could get away with playing him most minutes at the 4 but it's one's with good D and shot blocking at the 3 and the 5. Otherwise he is one of the most bust worthy types of player. Tall but skinny 4's. They bust out more than anything because they take a huge beating and end up timid floating 7 foot jump shooters.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

what i've liked about KBD in this limited but regular action lately is that he seems like a smart player - timely, does the right thing, makes the simple play. seems less inclined to spazz rookie mistakes.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:01 pm what i've liked about KBD in this limited but regular action lately is that he seems like a smart player - timely, does the right thing, makes the simple play. seems less inclined to spazz rookie mistakes.
Because he was at Ohio St like 10 years. And really, he was a highly overrated skinny guy right up until his Sr. Year. He just kept learning and especially learned how to play slow. Not that he is slow he just is able to think quickly and thus not have to hurry.

Needs more strength. Needs to keep working on his shot. But he is one of those good at everything not great at anything guys who if he just really improves one area is a sure fire rotation player. But that doesn't mean he plays. There are probably 50 legit rotation players around the league that never play because there are 2 guys in front of them at their position. His best thing to concentrate on is surely his physique. Being able to play multiple spots always increases your chances. But he either gets a lot stronger or he better pray we take one of the big beasts to play next to him.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

actually just four. but yes, he does have to work on his physique. he already has - his college stats list him at 195 pounds - he's listed now at 223. so, unlike andrew, who is still sporting the same physique he had in high school - KBD looks like he's done some work. i expect that he'll do more. seems like a pro.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Bamma on right now. If you haven't seen Danta Hall check him out. He's definitely a 2nd round target for me if we happen to go PG in the 1st. Don't see him in hardly any mocks but he's a freaky athlete and is long. A. Payne without 3 forced jumpers a game.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

so if we're at 44 and both this hall dude and sagaba are there, who do you take?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:32 pm so if we're at 44 and both this hall dude and sagaba are there, who do you take?
Oh I take Konate all day but I think if he declares someone will see his size (bulk) and athletic testing and take him late 1st. Hall to me is just one of those 10-14 minute guys who won't care if he never touches a ball that he doesn't get himself. Block a shot, catch a lob, get a steal, get a board. Just got such a live body. A good coach makes him a valuable asset.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:32 pm so if we're at 44 and both this hall dude and sagaba are there, who do you take?
Oh I take Konate all day but I think if he declares someone will see his size (bulk) and athletic testing and take him late 1st. Hall to me is just one of those 10-14 minute guys who won't care if he never touches a ball that he doesn't get himself. Block a shot, catch a lob, get a steal, get a board. Just got such a live body. A good coach makes him a valuable asset.
the thing in our favor with konate is that he's not playing - so there's less solid opinion on him whether or not he's shed his one trick pony status, and developed other parts of his game. i can't imagine, like you, everyone passing on him when his comp has been ben wallace - but a lot of the mocks have him ranked really low. it's possible he could fall to us. the problem though with waiting and hoping for him with our 40s pick is what other long defensive bigs are left to us there if konate gets snatched a couple picks ahead of us? so maybe it's better to go gafford or clarkeish in the first and look for one of the second round PGs to fall to us.

going PG in the first has it's own pitfalls. don't think garland will last to us in the first - white will unless he explodes in the tourney, but i have my questions about white's fit as a longterm starter for us. he seems way more rose than rubio, and i think a pass first game general is the best fit for our first unit - scorer the best for our bench. has white's game progressed enough that he's become more of a straight PG and less of a combo?

i'll hang up and listen.

btw, didn't know anything about this hall kid - so just checked him out briefly. like the measurements - 6-10 230 with a 7-2 wingspan and an active body? sounds good. how's his bbiq, coachability, personality, motor?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 am
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 pm
the thing in our favor with konate is that he's not playing - so there's less solid opinion on him whether or not he's shed his one trick pony status, and developed other parts of his game. i can't imagine, like you, everyone passing on him when his comp has been ben wallace - but a lot of the mocks have him ranked really low. it's possible he could fall to us. the problem though with waiting and hoping for him with our 40s pick is what other long defensive bigs are left to us there if konate gets snatched a couple picks ahead of us? so maybe it's better to go gafford or clarkeish in the first and look for one of the second round PGs to fall to us.

going PG in the first has it's own pitfalls. don't think garland will last to us in the first - white will unless he explodes in the tourney, but i have my questions about white's fit as a longterm starter for us. he seems way more rose than rubio, and i think a pass first game general is the best fit for our first unit - scorer the best for our bench. has white's game progressed enough that he's become more of a straight PG and less of a combo?

i'll hang up and listen.

btw, didn't know anything about this hall kid - so just checked him out briefly. like the measurements - 6-10 230 with a 7-2 wingspan and an active body? sounds good. how's his bbiq, coachability, personality, motor?
Dude, Konate will come out. Huggins was pissed at him before the injury and stopped starting him because he thought he was shooting too many 3's. He was hitting 48% at the time. I just don't believe he's still injured. He's just not coming back to play for a team he has no investment in anymore. But he is easily the 2nd biggest athletic freak to Zion. He will test off the charts and if he goes to workouts and hits jumpers like he was he's going in the 1st. Now he could be a puke and uncoachable. But he might also be a guy with a bright NBA future being held down by an old school coach. Just going off his game I would take him from 12 on down. I think if his head is right he will be a bad ass NBA role player.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Well, looks like we're back in the trade down mix. Give me 2 lower 1sts from Celtics or Nets. I'll take 2 sure fire older defenders over a slight chance at a star at 12. We need to fix this fucked up D already.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 pm Well, looks like we're back in the trade down mix. Give me 2 lower 1sts from Celtics or Nets. I'll take 2 sure fire older defenders over a slight chance at a star at 12. We need to fix this fucked up D already.
absolutely. also still think we could do something - idk - to try to get that 35th from atlanta. did you see my trade idea? wiggins, saric and jones to atlanta for bazemore, plumlee and their 35th? a kid can hope.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 pm Well, looks like we're back in the trade down mix. Give me 2 lower 1sts from Celtics or Nets. I'll take 2 sure fire older defenders over a slight chance at a star at 12. We need to fix this fucked up D already.
absolutely. also still think we could do something - idk - to try to get that 35th from atlanta. did you see my trade idea? wiggins, saric and jones to atlanta for bazemore, plumlee and their 35th? a kid can hope.
Let's just say I have exactly zero confidence that Taylor will give anyone the power to make any moves other than pick the guy with the best smile, sell any other picks, let all FA's walk, then hire a GM 2 weeks after FA starts. We all know what happend when Taylor takes a "bigger role". :lol: As if that doesn't really mean bigger slice of the pie. Remember that one guy he finally gave total control to? That one that gave us our only winning season in 15 years? Thank god we got rid of him and gave Wigs Butler's money. Now that's a Taylor taking a bigger role type of move.

This is why if you are a Wolves fan and not a draft fan I don't have a clue what you are doing. Watching the 3-4 "meaningful" games a year? Well, I will say that most of these people also loved Taylor for decades and think we need more 3 point shooting so we can lose 150-145.

Draft plan 1- Fool Glen Taylor. Get that kid to fake a big smile. Have him practice how to talk like a nice boy to the old douche.

Draft plan 2- Take a good fucking defender. Take a guy who's not a disappearing fruit. Take a guy who's made a crunch time play once in his career. Take a guy who doesn't cry to officials he yells at opponents. And tell this borderline phycho how to smile and talk nice to Taylor.

Draft plan 3- Take Taylor's phone away. If you think for one second that and GM is willingly selling those picks you are insane. Taylor is selling those picks himself.

I'll get back to the kind of plan an actual organization would make later. But crawl before you walk. Just to remind you. Even when the greedy idiot is in the hospital about to be out of the picture with heart surgery we can't get out from under his wallet. That's when he fucked us with the J. Smith fiasco. He was on the fucking rules committee at the time. Every plan we make right now is trying to sneak some talent on to the team and hoping Taylor can't fuck it up from 6 feet under the ground.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Kentucky/Tenn today. Can't wait to see how Tenn adjusts.

LSU Bamma has D. Hall vs Naz.

Iowa St /Tex has 1st and 2nd round targets for us.