Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

hmmm, seems to be a tidge of disagreement over fernando's draft stock. nbadraft.net's latest has him going #4 overall to chicago - while ESPN's latest has him going #57 to the bucks. ROFLSMH (or maybe just having a seizure). gotta love it.

still want to explore a MN to NETs swap of our first pick for their late first and early second. they throw in joe harris for bayless and i'm all over it.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm hmmm, seems to be a tidge of disagreement over fernando's draft stock. nbadraft.net's latest has him going #4 overall to chicago - while ESPN's latest has him going #57 to the bucks. ROFLSMH (or maybe just having a seizure). gotta love it.

still want to explore a MN to NETs swap of our first pick for their late first and early second. they throw in joe harris for bayless and i'm all over it.
NBADraft always has a guy or 2 they fall in love with. Fernando started the year in the late 20's. Did you watch him against Indi? He looked top 10 at least and like the perfect Wolf pick. And not coincidently he is now 12th going to us.

Weird year in the mocks though. Look around at the database on Walters. You'll have a hard time finding concencus on anyone in the top 8 or so not named Zion, Morant, Barrett. I agree with that too. Whole lot of eye of the beholder after that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:33 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm hmmm, seems to be a tidge of disagreement over fernando's draft stock. nbadraft.net's latest has him going #4 overall to chicago - while ESPN's latest has him going #57 to the bucks. ROFLSMH (or maybe just having a seizure). gotta love it.

NBADraft always has a guy or 2 they fall in love with. Fernando started the year in the late 20's. Did you watch him against Indi? He looked top 10 at least and like the perfect Wolf pick. And not coincidently he is now 12th going to us.

Weird year in the mocks though. Look around at the database on Walters. You'll have a hard time finding concencus on anyone in the top 8 or so not named Zion, Morant, Barrett. I agree with that too. Whole lot of eye of the beholder after that.
i think i could be happy with deandre hunter - or one of the bigs that's been mentioned late lottery (like fernando), but this draft (again) feels really flat and deep from nearly 10 on down to the early second round. a brookyln vet plus their late first and early second - or a similar deal from sacto - might turn my head more than just sticking with our (possible) late lotto pick.

and yeah, i'm probably just angling for a way to realistically snag sagaba and/or schofield. i like the idea of adding more guys whose M.O. is strength and hustle. and on that line, anyone have any opinions about nova's eric paschall? he fits that description as well.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:33 pm

i think i could be happy with deandre hunter - or one of the bigs that's been mentioned late lottery (like fernando), but this draft (again) feels really flat and deep from nearly 10 on down to the early second round. a brookyln vet plus their late first and early second might - or a similar deal from sacto - might turn my head more than just sticking with our (possible) late lotto pick.

and yeah, i'm probably just angling for a way to realistically snag sagaba and/or schofield. i like the idea of adding more strength and hustle to the team. and on that line, anyone have any opinions about nova's eric paschall? he fits that description as well.
I might literally say 4 to 25. I am a Hunter fan. He's a stat sheet hider. You watch a game and think damn he contributes and then the box doesn't look that great. I do think he's tough enough to play a lot of 4 though. Still would rather have more of a shot blocker but he would really allow us to switch everything more.

Wish Konate would get healthy because I love to watch him but might end up hidden because of it. Pachall is kind of the Hunter opposite to me. Puts up numbers but I'm never really that impressed watching him. Makes me wonder if his numbers are because they are young and play with such pace.

Tell you what, there are some incredible talented "bigs" by which I mean tall basketball players. Love to snag one and hope on upside. Just don't see any way we leave this offseason without the best possible athlete who can block shots. Towns feet on D will not get better. We can't continue to let teams exploit his biggest weakness and negate his biggest strength. Would love to see teams put him in P&R then let him sell out on the hedge and drive them to Konate for a vicious block.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Anyone nervous of the onslaught of selling picks to pay for Thibs, ala the Kurt Rambis firing?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:13 pm Anyone nervous of the onslaught of selling picks to pay for Thibs, ala the Kurt Rambis firing?
Just Wolves fans.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

god, he better not. all the good will he's garnered for pulling the plug on thibs would go down the drain with a move like that.

btw, thrill - i know you like fernando. what's your opinion of gafford?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 am god, he better not. all the good will he's garnered for pulling the plug on thibs would go down the drain with a move like that.

btw, thrill - i know you like fernando. what's your opinion of gafford?
Very similar. Very.

Gafford a little slighter, better leaper. Fernando is more muscled. Fernando is the better shooter but Gafford a little better scorer overall and in the paint. Would give the edge to Gafford if he could improve his FT's more. Up to 58% after starting the season under 50. Be a 20-10 guy if he could hit low 70's. I do still lean his way overall just because he's a little quicker. Want a guy who can play inside out with Towns on D. And he has a nice form on his shot that I think eventually will come around. But Fernando's improvement from last year to this is really impressive. Continuing on that arc makes him a star real soon. Either would be ideal.

It could be very hard to pass on some freaky talented offensive bigs like Naz Reid, or Hachimura, or Shittu, Or Jalen McDaniels, or like 5 more guys. But I just don't see anything that helps our progression more than an athletic big who blocks shots. That's Fernando, Gafford, or Konate. And I'd be thrilled to take the 3rd of them if I could get an extra little piece.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

As you look to the draft, what are the major holes at this point? I don't think we'll for sure know Tyus' future when the draft rolls around. If Covington can give some minutes at the 4, I think another wing is probably the pick. Second round maybe you go for a big to develop behind Towns/Dieng? Below are the guaranteed deals coming back next year with Tyus as an RFA.

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am As you look to the draft, what are the major holes at this point? I don't think we'll for sure know Tyus' future when the draft rolls around. If Covington can give some minutes at the 4, I think another wing is probably the pick. Second round maybe you go for a big to develop behind Towns/Dieng? Below are the guaranteed deals coming back next year with Tyus as an RFA.

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng
Don't think you can go wing. If things go like we all hope every minute is spoken for with Wigs/Roco/Okogie. Gibson may return on a lower deal but as good a man defender as he is he's not a great match with Towns. Teams just put Towns in P&R 100% and he's bad at it. Gibson doesn't block shots so he can't make up for it. Be great if teams would do it the other way around since Gibson is good in P&R and Towns good blocking shots but every single team is way too smart for that.

Looking at upcoming FA's we can afford I don't see a player that helps there. And if you want an immediate return on a draft pick you can't get it more immediately than a big athlete who can move his feet, rebound, and block a shot.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:21 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am As you look to the draft, what are the major holes at this point? I don't think we'll for sure know Tyus' future when the draft rolls around. If Covington can give some minutes at the 4, I think another wing is probably the pick. Second round maybe you go for a big to develop behind Towns/Dieng? Below are the guaranteed deals coming back next year with Tyus as an RFA.

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng
Don't think you can go wing. If things go like we all hope every minute is spoken for with Wigs/Roco/Okogie. Gibson may return on a lower deal but as good a man defender as he is he's not a great match with Towns. Teams just put Towns in P&R 100% and he's bad at it. Gibson doesn't block shots so he can't make up for it. Be great if teams would do it the other way around since Gibson is good in P&R and Towns good blocking shots but every single team is way too smart for that.

Looking at upcoming FA's we can afford I don't see a player that helps there. And if you want an immediate return on a draft pick you can't get it more immediately than a big athlete who can move his feet, rebound, and block a shot.
So what are you drafting then? I think it's bad to get locked up in a 3 man rotation with Wiggins/Roco/Okogie.. give me a 4th guy who can play some 4 too and knock down shots.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng

We have THREE needs. 1. A PG of the future, which is the hardest and least addressable hole to fill, 2. A SF who brings defense and/or offense, i.e. a long-term Covington replacement or guy who pushes Wiggins and 3. A PF or PF/C who is a good pair with Towns. One of those needs should be addressed this year and hopefully they mature into the player we hope, same for filling the other needs next year, though if we trade Gourgi and Taj 3 becomes fairly important to have developed for two years down the road to help a Saric and Towns Combo without any clear backups and I have to think that is some of your reasoning? PG fits in that mold, but like I said, hard to do over the next two years, SF also is on par with filling a void by not having a replacement player or any real depth. SF is a wing, so I will disagree, with not being able to go wing, it is likely one of our two obvious and likely addressable needs, how you value those needs (available players), well, that is up to you. The ONE thing I see is that we will try and draft in 19 and 20 to fill two of those needs and try to trade or use free-agency entering 20-21 to fill the other, should things continue on a positive trajectory.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

We need 3 all-stars to compete for a WC finals. We have one - KAT. The draft isn't giving us a second one any time soon. I've enjoyed the recent drafts because there has been many potential contributors drafted in the first round. I do hope the wolves draft a solid rotation player. Hoping they draft a starter is a large hope.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

I think Dieng is a big weak spot for us. He's not a C yet he backs up Towns. Don't like it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng

We have THREE needs. 1. A PG of the future, which is the hardest and least addressable hole to fill, 2. A SF who brings defense and/or offense, i.e. a long-term Covington replacement or guy who pushes Wiggins and 3. A PF or PF/C who is a good pair with Towns. One of those needs should be addressed this year and hopefully they mature into the player we hope, same for filling the other needs next year, though if we trade Gourgi and Taj 3 becomes fairly important to have developed for two years down the road to help a Saric and Towns Combo without any clear backups and I have to think that is some of your reasoning? PG fits in that mold, but like I said, hard to do over the next two years, SF also is on par with filling a void by not having a replacement player or any real depth. SF is a wing, so I will disagree, with not being able to go wing, it is likely one of our two obvious and likely addressable needs, how you value those needs (available players), well, that is up to you. The ONE thing I see is that we will try and draft in 19 and 20 to fill two of those needs and try to trade or use free-agency entering 20-21 to fill the other, should things continue on a positive trajectory.
any of those are possible - especially backup SF and a backup big. SFs hachimura, hunter, clarke, okpala, little - all could possibly be in the vicinity of our 1st - likewise for bigs bassey, fernando, porter and gafford. PG is a little more of a reach. if darius garland is still there when we pick, do we take him? he's a little small, he's a little untested - but he's the obvious next lottery worthy PG after ja morant (who won't still be there when we pick). if you do think that garland's the big picture eventual PG starter, then i guess you take him. i'd be leery though - and would rather address other obvious needs with this draft.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm

any of those are possible - especially backup SF and a backup big. SFs hachimura, hunter, clarke, okpala, little - all could possibly be in the vicinity of our 1st - likewise for bigs bassey, fernando, porter and gafford. PG is a little more of a reach. if darius garland is still there when we pick, do we take him? he's a little small, he's a little untested - but he's the obvious next lottery worthy PG after ja morant (who won't still be there when we pick). if you do think that garland's the big picture eventual PG starter, then i guess you take him. i'd be leery though - and would rather address other obvious needs with this draft.
100%. I believe. You seem sharp!
witljon

Post by witljon »

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng
I think we need a big, a PG, and a shooter.
Again, don't reach for a need and take the best available player.
Style

Post by Style »

If all things are equal, and we have our choice of position to draft, it has to be PG.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I didn’t see Jordan Murphy in that list. He’s certainly good enough to go in the second round.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Talent, sure. But what position does he play? He's not a SF and is too small for a PF. That will be his trouble getting into the league.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:03 am I didn’t see Jordan Murphy in that list. He’s certainly good enough to go in the second round.
I don't see it at this point unless he develops an outside shot.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

so_money said we need a longterm Covington replacement. We have Okogie/Wiggins/Covington all here for the next 3.5 at least!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 am so_money said we need a longterm Covington replacement. We have Okogie/Wiggins/Covington all here for the next 3.5 at least!
wiggins will get most of his minutes at the SG spot - as will okogie. i think we've already seen some size issues pop up with okogie guarding bigger SFs - so there's definitely room to add another SF in the draft who is more comparable in size to Sir Glove.

another thing i'm always looking for is a swap of our probably mid first pick to a team with a late first/early second. just saw that i think philly also fits that bill - they're mocked right now as having a 26 and 34. i also like jonah bolden a lot - fills a lot of those shotblocking/rebounding backup PF needs we've talked about. a bolden/26/34 swap for our probable 15 or 16 seems too light for us - or is it? philly's got so many players in the pipeline - we don't - a 3 for 1 swap might make sense for both teams especially in a year this flat draftwise.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 am so_money said we need a longterm Covington replacement. We have Okogie/Wiggins/Covington all here for the next 3.5 at least!
wiggins will get most of his minutes at the SG spot - as will okogie. i think we've already seen some size issues pop up with okogie guarding bigger SFs - so there's definitely room to add another SF in the draft who is more comparable in size to Sir Glove.

another thing i'm always looking for is a swap of our probably mid first pick to a team with a late first/early second. just saw that i think philly also fits that bill - they're mocked right now as having a 26 and 34. i also like jonah bolden a lot - fills a lot of those shotblocking/rebounding backup PF needs we've talked about. a bolden/26/34 swap for our probable 15 or 16 seems too light for us - or is it? philly's got so many players in the pipeline - we don't - a 3 for 1 swap might make sense for both teams especially in a year this flat draftwise.
I'm sure a trade down can get looked at and maybe the next coach will be more interested in adding 2-3 rookies, hard to say. Normally in the NBA, I like to say just take the guy you want at that pick versus trading down for multiple later picks. Depends who they are targeting I guess!
Style

Post by Style »

Ashton Hagans, PG, Kentucky is playing very well right now against Georgia. An intriguing prospect at a position of need.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng

So what are you drafting then? I think it's bad to get locked up in a 3 man rotation with Wiggins/Roco/Okogie.. give me a 4th guy who can play some 4 too and knock down shots.
I'm not spending likely the best asset we have for a few years on a 4th wing. I can find a guy who can maybe play 12 minutes every other game in the Gleague. I can sign C. Brewer in mid Jan.

We're absolutely desperate for a defender/rebounder to play with Towns. How on earth could you want a 4th wing on the bench at the end of another late loss instead of a big who can actually help us get a damn stop and win?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 am

Teague/Tyus maybe?
Wiggins/Okogie
Covington
Saric/KBD
Towns/Dieng
I think we need a big, a PG, and a shooter.
Again, don't reach for a need and take the best available player.
Screw that. You take need 100% unless the difference in talent is night and day. We have had exactly one year of a roster that fit together with defined roles. We've had exactly one championship level team. We've had 100 BPA picks and are the worst NBA team in history. The only time you take BPA regardless is step 1.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am
Bob Wiley wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:03 am I didn’t see Jordan Murphy in that list. He’s certainly good enough to go in the second round.
I don't see it at this point unless he develops an outside shot.
He won't get drafted for that reason but you know I love the guy. He will go to the G for 3-4 years and develop to a point he can hit from 2 spots and hit a FT and then be in the NBA. Hopefully for us since I'd like to occasionally get a rebound.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

hate to say this thrill. and i like jordan too - just saw him at the barn last saturday. but he's basically another guy you've loved to make fun of, jarnell stokes. i was wrong about stokes - thought he had a place in the league, but he doesn't. just got waived again after another 10 day. not sure what special thing murphy has that separates him from jarnell.

stokes - 3 years at tennessee - 6-7 250 PF/C - 13.0 ppg / 9.6 rpg / 53% FG / 63% FT - high motor player

murphy - 4 years at minnesota - 6-6 250 PF - 13.4 ppg / 9.8 rpg / 53% FG / 65% FT - high motor player
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 pm hate to say this thrill. and i like jordan too - just saw him at the barn last saturday. but he's basically another guy you've loved to make fun of, jarnell stokes. i was wrong about stokes - thought he had a place in the league, but he doesn't. just got waived again after another 10 day. not sure what special thing murphy has that separates him from jarnell.

stokes - 3 years at tennessee - 6-7 250 PF/C - 13.0 ppg / 9.6 rpg / 53% FG / 63% FT - high motor player

murphy - 4 years at minnesota - 6-6 250 PF - 13.4 ppg / 9.8 rpg / 53% FG / 65% FT - high motor player
I never hated Stokes just his size/athleticism combo. Just never thought he had enough of either to translate his interior based play. Murphy has much better hops. Quick 2nd jump that lets him get his shot off even though he lacks Stokes more polished game.