Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:37 pm
Dan33185 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:07 pm Looking at next year's mock, I was surprised to see LaMelo ball projected at #3. I didn't think he was that highly regarded.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft
1. Nbadraft.net is straight trash
2. I HOPE he goes top 3. That kid is going to bust so hard. He's an absolute joke.
agreed about nbadraft.net in regards to its rankings. however, i do go to them frequently and often throughout the year because they're one of the only places that goes out a full 60. and they bring a lot of players up on the radar who i've never heard of before - intl guys, small college sleepers, major college bench guys - who generally DO wind up playing some sort of role in the draft. you don't really get much about adam mokoka on bleacher report. on nbadraft.net, mokoka's being mocked 4 months ago - and it gives you a chance to dig a little more.

seriously, up to two months ago, does ANY nba fan need to read another writeup about why zion williamson will go number one? that's the easiest assignment in sportswriting. i'm more interested at that point on who six guys might be that we can look at in the middle of the second round.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I think draft day should be renamed to National Woj Bomb Day. Make it happen Mr Silver!
Let's get Tropical
witljon

Post by witljon »

Ok here's a little something I've either read and/or just think about the top prospects in tomorrows draft.

Zion - Hyped prospect
Ja - Athletic & high BB IQ
RJ - Volume scorer
Culver - Versatile
Garland - Electric scorer
Hunter - 2-way player
Cam - Questionable desire & high potential
White - Combo guard
Little - High-risk high-reward
Sekou - Top international prospect
Hayes - Project, but a nice project
Last edited by witljon on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

RT @TheSteinLine: The Timberwolves have been aggressive in their attempts to move up in the draft from No. 11 and are among the teams that have discussed acquiring No. 4 from New Orleans, league sources say
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:23 pm RT @TheSteinLine: The Timberwolves have been aggressive in their attempts to move up in the draft from No. 11 and are among the teams that have discussed acquiring No. 4 from New Orleans, league sources say
Cant possibly imagine how they could pull that off, but doesnt hurt to kick the tires.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
witljon

Post by witljon »

j2j wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:21 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:23 pm RT @TheSteinLine: The Timberwolves have been aggressive in their attempts to move up in the draft from No. 11 and are among the teams that have discussed acquiring No. 4 from New Orleans, league sources say
Cant possibly imagine how they could pull that off, but doesnt hurt to kick the tires.
Im not exactly a Garland fan.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

If the Wolves moved up to 4 or 5 my hope would be Jarrett Culver, but I’m assuming it would be Garland. Which is fine. Need a PG long term.
j2j

Post by j2j »

witljon wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 pm
I'm not sold on him either.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 pm
Ditto.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

So, who's ready for Okogie to get traded tomorrow? I like him a lot, but if Rosas is looking to put his prints on this team, Okogie is a very versatile piece to move. Could be used as a sweetener in any trade scenario.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

This draft has so much uncertainty, i love it
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:32 pm So, who's ready for Okogie to get traded tomorrow? I like him a lot, but if Rosas is looking to put his prints on this team, Okogie is a very versatile piece to move. Could be used as a sweetener in any trade scenario.
I would 100% fine with trading Okogie if it meant the Timberwolves were getting a stud PG. PG for me is simply the most important position on the team. Okogie will never ever be that.

That being said......I just got an invite to the Timberwolves Draft Party at CARGO....anyway they have Okogie scheduled to drop by.....if they were gonna trade him would they have him showing up to hang out with fans at their Draft Party.

#awkward#
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:32 pm So, who's ready for Okogie to get traded tomorrow? I like him a lot, but if Rosas is looking to put his prints on this team, Okogie is a very versatile piece to move. Could be used as a sweetener in any trade scenario.
I would 100% fine with trading Okogie if it meant the Timberwolves were getting a stud PG. PG for me is simply the most important position on the team. Okogie will never ever be that.

That being said......I just got an invite to the Timberwolves Draft Party at CARGO....anyway they have Okogie scheduled to drop by.....if they were gonna trade him would they have him showing up to hang out with fans at their Draft Party.

#awkward#
Thats definitely interesting. I view/ed him as one of our most tradeable assets, that we could part with. If the Wolves are looking to make a move, I would think he'd be on top of the list of assets that can be moved...i.e, not KAT, and not a contract dump like Wiggins or Gorgui.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am
jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 am

#awkward#
Thats definitely interesting. I view/ed him as one of our most tradeable assets, that we could part with. If the Wolves are looking to make a move, I would think he'd be on top of the list of assets that can be moved...i.e, not KAT, and not a contract dump like Wiggins or Gorgui.
I highly doubt we trade up anyway, especially to #4. There will be a lot of teams trying to trade up and the Wolves don't have much ti outbid with.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

He’s going to be at the Wolves draft party tomorrow. Could get awkward quickly.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Best of luck tonight to SDSU's Mike Daum. He probably won't get drafted, but deserves a crack at someone's roster one way or another. If Joe Ingles can be an important rotation player and debut at 27, there's no reason Daum shouldn't be given a shot to debut at 24. He's 6'9" with a 7'3" wingspan and his college numbers speak for themselves, finishing #7 on the NCAA all-time scoring list.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:58 am I highly doubt we trade up anyway, especially to #4. There will be a lot of teams trying to trade up and the Wolves don't have much ti outbid with.
Its going to be a boring draft night if we just sit and pick at the 11th spot.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

thinktank wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm
j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm I don't mind Culver, I'd take him, but I don't understand the love.
Check his feet out.

Picture perfect. Parallel when shooting no matter when. Easy pendulum rock back.

His feet are great so his balance is too. absolutely killer one foot fade-away and any fade-away really. Step back. His footwork is really fun to watch.

Plus:

“I've been really impressed with him,” Izzo said during the tournament. “I love guys … I had a kid named Gary Harris a couple of years ago who I thought was one of the best two-way players I've ever had. He could do it on the offensive end. He could do it on the defensive end. He could impact the game in both. I think Culver does that. I think he's got versatility, and he's a scorer that plays defense. Sometimes those are harder to come by, and I think that's what makes him so special.”

Here’s a good video from a single game. Just sayin.

https://youtu.be/m6FAFQl5uwg
BUMP from May 19
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Naz fall far enough for us????

(Please)
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Fuck these commercials. My gawd. A 3 hour long 1st round.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I love thinking about disease medications while I'm trying to figure out what the fuck just happened again.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 pm
thinktank wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm
j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm I don't mind Culver, I'd take him, but I don't understand the love.
Check his feet out.

Picture perfect. Parallel when shooting no matter when. Easy pendulum rock back.

His feet are great so his balance is too. absolutely killer one foot fade-away and any fade-away really. Step back. His footwork is really fun to watch.

Plus:

“I've been really impressed with him,” Izzo said during the tournament. “I love guys … I had a kid named Gary Harris a couple of years ago who I thought was one of the best two-way players I've ever had. He could do it on the offensive end. He could do it on the defensive end. He could impact the game in both. I think Culver does that. I think he's got versatility, and he's a scorer that plays defense. Sometimes those are harder to come by, and I think that's what makes him so special.”

Here’s a good video from a single game. Just sayin.

https://youtu.be/m6FAFQl5uwg
BUMP from May 19
He is not a good shooter and his feet are not picture perfect. He lacks balance because his weight distribution is not good. He struggles in catch an dshoot. He has a very long wind up on his shot. He is much better off the dribble and in pull ups.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

I love the 6 months of draft run up. The college games, tourneys, combine, the whole deal. Almost as much as I hate 9 out of 10 Wolves drafts. 19 out of 20.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 pmHe is not a good shooter and his feet are not picture perfect. He lacks balance because his weight distribution is not good. He struggles in catch an dshoot. He has a very long wind up on his shot. He is much better off the dribble and in pull ups.
No man.

With a Kobe-like 32% usage he was still serviceable from deep.

With a Wolves-like 22% usage he was 38% from deep—same as Dario. ;)

REAL NEWS.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Taco Bell will give whatever team takes him a good situational 10 mpg whenever called upon. Worth it in the 2nd round.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 pmHe is not a good shooter and his feet are not picture perfect. He lacks balance because his weight distribution is not good. He struggles in catch an dshoot. He has a very long wind up on his shot. He is much better off the dribble and in pull ups.
No man.

With a Kobe-like 32% usage he was still serviceable from deep.

With a Wolves-like 22% usage he was 38% from deep—same as Dario. ;)

REAL NEWS.
His 3 point shots per 40 minutes were about the same. His 2 point shot attempts were up, but with consistent shooting percentage.

When you consider the game log info I posted, he was a 52.6% shooter from 2 point range for the full season. That means, like I showed, he put up great stats agaisnt crappy teams in the Big 12 and TTs non-conf opponents.

I hope Culver does enough of the little things that can help this team. He can get some points in transition. Board well for his position, and help the perimeter defense. But he is also the 6th overall pick.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Weird argument.

You look at attempts.

Attempts are not usage.

That’s bargaining.

In your list of what’s good you left out passing.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Anyone know why they couldn't announce trades during the draft tonight? Rosas couldn't comment on Culver, either.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

memyworld wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 am Anyone know why they couldn't announce trades during the draft tonight? Rosas couldn't comment on Culver, either.
It's because the trade involves a player, not just picks. The new league fiscal year does not begin until July 1st. Can't officially trade Dario until then. Or something like that.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

irishman89 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 am
memyworld wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 am Anyone know why they couldn't announce trades during the draft tonight? Rosas couldn't comment on Culver, either.
It's because the trade involves a player, not just picks. The new league fiscal year does not begin until July 1st. Can't officially trade Dario until then. Or something like that.
Strange. I don't remember that affecting announcements in the past.