Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by somuchyummy »

nassir little does not impress me. came into college as one of the most highly recruited freshman in his class - number TWO overall - and then did basically not a whole helluva lot all season to prove that he belonged there. on his college stage springboard to the nba, he simply coasted on his HS rep. beep beep beep! red flag!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 am
thinktank wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:00 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 am
Do you know what the word means? Shooting numbers that show you know jack shit are obfuscation? Were you gonna bother responding to the numbers? No? What a complete shock. But hey, the NBA is not college right? :lol:
Yeah, Okogie shot more and better threes. That’s not everything though.

Nassir player one year and in that year Nassir shot a full 5% better from the floor than Okogie did in his freshman year.

Okogie has been awful at shooting so far.
Wow. A guy who played in the paint the whole time shot 5 whole % better than a guy who played 2 and some 1. No way. I guess you meant to say he was a better dunker then?
He didn’t play in the paint the whole time but you knew that.

Have a good weekend, thrill.
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am nassir little does not impress me. came into college as one of the most highly recruited freshman in his class - number TWO overall - and then did basically not a whole helluva lot all season to prove that he belonged there. on his college stage springboard to the nba, he simply coasted on his HS rep. beep beep beep! red flag!
He was a big in high school, but has struggled to make the transition as a wing player.
I think he is going to be a project, but has some pretty good potential.
witljon

Post by witljon »

j2j wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 pm
I'm absolutely in love with DeAndre Hunter. He's going to be a beast.
Its just my dumb opinion, but I think Hunter will be a good pro, but no all star.

I think Culver will be the better player with a better chance to be an all star.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Wolves pick 43rd in the 2nd round. Some of my favorite possibilities there include

1. Jalen McDaniels Forward 20yo San Diego St.
2. Admiral Schofield Wing 22yo Tennessee
3. Talen Horton-Tucker Wing 18yo Iowa St.
4. Lu Dort Guard/Wing 19yo Arizona St. (Watched "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" to learn English)
5. Nic Claxton Center 19yo Georgia
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm Wolves pick 43rd in the 2nd round. Some of my favorite possibilities there include

4. Lu Dort Guard/Wing 19yo Arizona St. (Watched "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" to learn English)
Even though Dort is a bit of a duplication of Okie...much rougher version...I love him as a second round energy guy with a shitload of athleticism and potential to improve.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Stork311 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm Wolves pick 43rd in the 2nd round. Some of my favorite possibilities there include

Even though Dort is a bit of a duplication of Okie...much rougher version...I love him as a second round energy guy with a shitload of athleticism and potential to improve.
Dort is a good athelete and really good on ball defender. He struggles off ball like a lot of freshman, and his shot looks weird as shit when he releases.Watch the spin on the ball. His NBA career comes down to how well he can shoot. Same thing with Schofield as well. Schofield not nearly as athletic as Dort but a better overall defensive player because he understands rotations and and backside help and hustles to close out on shooters. Either guy is a home run to me in the mid 2nd round. They have a chance to play in the NBA that is.
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

I like McDaniels as a 3, not giving up on Bazley yet either.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think both schofield and dort will be gone before 43. my faves there - and in order of preference - are PF/C sagaba konate, PF/C nic claxton, PG jaylen hands, PF/SF isaiah roby and SG adam mokoka. if, because of his ACL tear in the tourney, SF/PF chuma okeke is still there at 43, he should definitely be in the discussion as well - maybe top of the list. my guess is that some team with a bunch of picks will take him and be comfortable with the timing of his rehab - maybe atlanta. he played college ball next door in alabama, but is originally from georgia.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

witljon wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm
Its just my dumb opinion, but I think Hunter will be a good pro, but no all star.

I think Culver will be the better player with a better chance to be an all star.
That's fair. I'm starting to like Culver more than I did previously. I just love Hunter's size, shooting, defensive discipline, and his big game performances.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
witljon

Post by witljon »

j2j wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:01 pm

That's fair. I'm starting to like Culver more than I did previously. I just love Hunter's size, shooting, defensive discipline, and his big game performances.
One of em I'm starting to like a little more is Darius Garland. And its nothing he is doing, its just what I've read or heard that helps influence my opinion. I still think Jeff Teague when I think of Garland, but hopefully its the good Jeff Teague. And Im starting to like SG Kevin Porter Jr. USC a littler more for where the Wolves are sitting.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:19 am

One of em I'm starting to like a little more is Darius Garland. And its nothing he is doing, its just what I've read or heard that helps influence my opinion. I still think Jeff Teague when I think of Garland, but hopefully its the good Jeff Teague. And Im starting to like SG Kevin Porter Jr. USC a littler more for where the Wolves are sitting.
Porter Jr. is a BIG NO for me. He is on my do not draft list. Garland will not make it to us with both CHI and PHX slipping in draft position. The draft lottery didn't do the Wolves any favors.
witljon

Post by witljon »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am The draft lottery didn't do the Wolves any favors.
I don't see much difference in picks 6 through 12.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

witljon wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:10 am
SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am The draft lottery didn't do the Wolves any favors.
I like more than 5 players, but 11 to say 20 or even into the 20's is pretty balanced. Like I said you you might put Sekou, Little and a guy or two in a mini tier because of upside, but there is a cut off and it happens before the wolves pick.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am

Porter Jr. is a BIG NO for me. He is on my do not draft list. Garland will not make it to us with both CHI and PHX slipping in draft position. The draft lottery didn't do the Wolves any favors.
with you on the opinion about porter jr.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you guys have opinions on who you think will outplay their draft position? in other words, in three years, who are the players that teams will be kicking themselves for passing up? here's my list of overachievers:

ty jerome
dylan windler
mifiondu kabengele
admiral schofield
jontay porter
chuma okeke
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am
I like more than 5 players, but 11 to say 20 or even into the 20's is pretty balanced. Like I said you you might put Sekou, Little and a guy or two in a mini tier because of upside, but there is a cut off and it happens before the wolves pick.
I'd say balanced as to player values but not as to individual players. We do not need wings. So all the wings in the area from 11 into the 20's are not as valuable to us as the bigs are.

11 is going to be a very interesting spot. Don't we always sit at the end of a "tier"? A move or 2 above us that surprise could change our thinking a ton. If Hachimura impresses in a workout could very well see him going before us. Could see a team below us making a move up for the last wing in Reddish. Hell, a PG desperate team might talk themselves into NAW being one (better not be us) That could leave us with Doumboya. Could leave us as the team trading back with that team hunting wings. Could leave us sitting there and having to take the best big left as they are going quick. However it works out before us we can not take the chance on losing out on a legit big.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 am

with you on the opinion about porter jr.
I love Porter Jr. He is the reincarnation of Ricky Davis. If he's not a complete shit he will be one of the best players from this draft. Of course there's a 50% chance he's a complete shit. If we say moved back with Brooklyn for 17 and 27 I'd take him at 27 all day. But no way with one pick or top half of the round.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:08 amWe do not need wings. So all the wings in the area from 11 into the 20's are not as valuable to us as the bigs are.
We have Covington and Wiggins.

We shouldn't be passing on a wing if he's the best player on the board.
witljon

Post by witljon »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am
In my eyes, there's a drop off after the first couple of picks. Then another one 3 or 4 picks later. And then another one a little after we pick at 11. There's going to be some busts taken before the Wolves pick and some good ones after.
I just hope we get lucky and land a good one.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:12 am
Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:08 amWe do not need wings. So all the wings in the area from 11 into the 20's are not as valuable to us as the bigs are.
We have Covington and Wiggins.

We shouldn't be passing on a wing if he's the best player on the board.
What about that guy who......................couldn't shoot in college? And KBD? And Cam?

Unless they are trading Wigs for Ibaka they are not and should not take a wing.
witljon

Post by witljon »

What is it you don't like about him at 11? He's a shooter, and we could use shooters.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

word is that brain wise the young man is a little effed up. you want a head case at 11? i don't. as screwy as DMC was in college, he still played all the games and played well. porter's suspension this year kept his sample size at only 21 games - in which this scorer averaged less than 10 ppg. good to great tools, yeah. but there are others that can be said about as well who have got their shit more together.

like thrill said, in the mid to late 20s, sure. at 11, nope.

spoke way too soon. sorry. he was out for 10 games early with a thigh bruise - came back and then was suspended two games for conduct detrimental to the team. my bad. but even before the suspension he had the rep as being immature and prone to bad judgement. i'll still stick with my "not at 11, maybe mid to late 20s" assessment. freshman suspensions always bug me. you've got all this talent, and all this positive buzz, and all this momentum to help you become something - and then you stick your head in a bag and pull bullshit that basically undermines all of the advantages you've got.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat May 18, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I haven't done any research myself, but everyone keeps alluding to Porter being fucked in the head? That's a no from me.

jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Would Okogie and the #11 be enough to move up in this Draft to get one of the PGs.

I like Okogie, but long term this team needs a PG.
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am Would Okogie and the #11 be enough to move up in this Draft to get one of the PGs.

I agree with the need for a PG, but which of the 2 available do you think is realistically a great long term option? So much that you'd dump Okogie to go get him?

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

we may not get our long term PG this year. rome wasn't built in a day. no need to sacrafice a talented young piece in hopes of getting another talented young piece. next year's crop of PGs looks deeper.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:58 am
jodaman01 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am Would Okogie and the #11 be enough to move up in this Draft to get one of the PGs.

I agree with the need for a PG, but which of the 2 available do you think is realistically a great long term option? So much that you'd dump Okogie to go get him?
Have answered this same question 20 times. It would take Okogie to get up for a PG. It is not worth it. We do not have an immediate need for a PG. Next year is a better year for PG's. Next year we will have more and can create more cap space to sign one or trade for one. Getting 4 for Garland would have been awesome. Does Okogie and 11 get you to 4? Probably not. Trading Okogie and 11 for White? Hell no. There will be opportunity to talk a good PG into taking our MLE. Then there will be opportunity to trade for one at the deadline. Then we have next year's draft. Then we have more cap flexibility next offseason.

Rushing and overpaying to fill a need we don't have for a year is some serious Wolves level shit.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Have answered this same question 20 times. It would take Okogie to get up for a PG. It is not worth it. We do not have an immediate need for a PG. Next year is a better year for PG's. Next year we will have more and can create more cap space to sign one or trade for one. Getting 4 for Garland would have been awesome. Does Okogie and 11 get you to 4? Probably not. Trading Okogie and 11 for White? Hell no. There will be opportunity to talk a good PG into taking our MLE. Then there will be opportunity to trade for one at the deadline. Then we have next year's draft. Then we have more cap flexibility next offseason.

Rushing and overpaying to fill a need we don't have for a year is some serious Wolves level shit.
That's my point, but sweet rant.

jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

I’m not good at picking out the best talent in the drafts, I don’t watch college hoops with the exception of the tournament.

Is there one you and the other draft wizards here think would be a great fit, and how high would the Wolves have to go to get him? Could using Okogie and #11 get the Wolves in position to get that player??